Rock/paper/scissors ship balance model?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

delray
x3tc

Rock/paper/scissors ship balance model?

Post by delray » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:00

Fighters kill bombers, bombers kill capital ships, capital ships kill smaller capital ships, smaller capital ships kill fighters.

Will we have this kind of balance in Rebirth? It'd force fleets, especially those containing bigger ships to be mixed and composed of various kinds of ships working together to beat the enemy. It'd mean there's no "one ship to own them all" and Carriers able to host both fighters and bombers would suddenly rise to the top of the foodchain where they belong.
Where is it?

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:02

Hm. Something like that would be good, but on the other hand - if capital ships are completely invulnerable to anything but torpedoes, for example, and torpedoes respectively can only damage capital ships, that would be taking it way too far.

A universal scaled damage model, properly balanced with laser types and such, would still be better, imo.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:05

They don't have to be invulnerable. I think they could have particular weakness to weapon systems mounted on particular ship classes though. So you could kill a battleship with fighter lasers, but it'd be much faster to be done by torpedo.
Where is it?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:21

Be nice if that was how it goes but it isnt.

Cap ships wont be invulnerable to all except bomber torps. Which imo they should only be damaged by torps by bombers only. Worked well in starlancer. Craved for that class system in other games but they dont do it except a few titles.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:11

Hi,

Balance will be interesting in Rebirth In think...

I designed a capital ship, it's got ALL Torpedo/Missile turrets - it gets owned by fighters IF they can get past it's defensive wing but capital ships are TOAST.

I designed a capital ship, it's got 80% anti-fighter class weapon turrets with a few light missiles thrown in - Fighters beware!

From the information we have we can define the balance of our larger ships by the sounds of it, as we can our STATIONS which is interesting to say the least! I.e. My station has some heavy anti-capital ship weapons mounted, but I also added a fighter bay module (would be cool eh?) or maybe being a HUGE station it can just dock loads of ships anyway. A large contingent of docked fighters provide a defence against smaller attackers, against which the anti-capital guns mounted on the station are in-effective due to target tracking speed etc.

For smaller vessels I'd imagine there's less cusomisation options, however again we might have a "fighter" chassis modded for speed and carrying heavy torpedoes...

Bernd's information so far has been really great, but of course has led to more questions and speculation. I'd be interested to know what customisation options, if any, are applicable to smaller craft. Imagine if you will you are engaged by something your ships computer (or crew) identify as a "fighter", without a close up scan who knows what it's configuration might be? I LIKE that...if that's how it's implemented!

Cheers,

Scoob.

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:30

Normally I'd argue like mad with anything to do with sliding scale or even junken balancing. Thing is, you're forgetting about crew - my guess is it will be the crew that balances ships; the ships will be almost irrelevant if you have gunners that can't hit a barn door :P

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 22:15

But that's not how ship design works. A politician tells the military what they want, then a committee decides on all the features it should have, and then the engineers are given a grease smudged napkin that talks about fairies and lasers and magic superhulls that can perform every possible role on the battlefield and kill everything.

So you get a Bradley. :D

Ship design is going to be limited by what roles you can give to a hull. A tiny ship is suitable for tiny equipment like sensors, small cargo, and single payload weapons. A medium ship can use a wide variety of gear and adopt many different roles like deep space scout, trade ship, dog fighter, boarding vessel, or heavy bomber. A large ship is limited to some mixture of heavy combat or logistics, and lacks the flexibility of roles that medium ships have.

A simple Fighter>cap>corvette>fighter model just wouldn't work. What if a corvette was made specifically to kill capital ships? What if a fighter has weapons to disable those corvettes? It'd throw the model completely upside down!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”