So ship and station building means no station or ship is ever identical visually?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

So ship and station building means no station or ship is ever identical visually?

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:18

From the way i read it, is that, for building stations and ships there are base layouts and can be expanded alot with modules. So in theory no ship (maybe cap ship limited) or station should ever look the same unless their contracted to do so (home races built to their design).

So if i see a cap ship lets say a argon destroyer. If i see another one in a different area of space it could look very different. Similar in size but can have visually different engines or mid section or hanger from the one i saw before?

If not then the wording Bernd said needs rewording as this is what i gathered from his explanation of the cap ship building and station building.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:24

Given that the components (turrets, lasers) you can stick on are a great many, I sort of think it will be the opposite - every framework will be distinctive, with a lot of small sockets for the components all over it - so when you change the components, the small microdetail will change, but the silhouette, the frame and the overall look will remain the same. So far there's no real indication that there are massive,shape-changing parts for capital ships that you can mix and match.

Stations, though - yep, they seem to be uniquely modular.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:33

I in particular like that aspect, it could and indeed should lead to great variation. :)

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:02

I read that at least capital ships will be entirely modular, so you can modify the design of each one you build.
Right on commander !

Khaak_Slayer
x4

Post by Khaak_Slayer » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:09

It'll be wicked-cool being able to visually tell that your turrets house HEPTs instead of generic geometric spikes that just represent guns! :)
Rawr.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 22:10

I read that at least capital ships will be entirely modular, so you can modify the design of each one you build.
The logistics are too complicated to allow such thing and have nice ships at the same time. I suspect the same as eliah said.
Capitalships fully customizable /modular in their specification parts (engines, scanners, weapons, etc) but not their actual shape.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 22:54

Killjaeden wrote:
The logistics are too complicated to allow such thing and have nice ships at the same time. I suspect the same as eliah said.
Capitalships fully customizable /modular in their specification parts (engines, scanners, weapons, etc) but not their actual shape.
Then again, they could, perhaps, have highly-designed and thus pretty-looking plot-related ships, and procedurally generated, clunky-looking and even badly-balanced non-plot ships - best of both worlds?
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 22:55

It seems that bases will be customizable like Sim City. Massive projects that can turn into literal cities as you build them bit by bit. It makes them all the more impressive when they go boom. :roll:

Will NPC factories grow? Will they reach epic scales as well? That would be interesting to know.

I'll have to agree on the "hull + parts" aspect of capital ships. Massive ships would likely be empty frames that you fill with equipment and weapons to take on different roles. If they changed shape too much, it could mess with pathing and distinctive racial looks.

Hopefully the big ships will have parts suitable for multiple roles, and not just turn into a cookie cutter "big lasers + max shield" thing. There's no telling what sort of sick, twisted hybrids may pop up! A construction flak guardian? A station dragging siege engine? I can only wait. :D

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 22:59

I like the part on how thing is actually "built" now, not just pop out of thin air. Part of the the equipping process in previous game is when you think about it, you have to wait for 2 hours for a laser to come out a production cycle, while the entire hull pop out in 1 second.

Knetter_Gek
x3tc

Post by Knetter_Gek » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 23:02

Killjaeden wrote:
The logistics are too complicated to allow such thing and have nice ships at the same time.
I might find modular but ugly hulls a lot cooler (albeit not prettier) than just giving me a generic M2 hull and then me having to dig up the specs on that ship to see this one, though visually identical to the ship beside it, has a completely different number and composition of modules.

You might think they want us to have nice ships to look at, but they did give us the Teladi vessels, the incredibly ugly Xenon capships and I'm fairly sure whoever designed the Split stuff went "It can't look too pretty - it's a warship!" too - so who knows?
We are all explorers of the deepest reaches of space.
We don't just watch space on our monitors and listen to the sounds in it:
We, all of us, each and every one of us, owns, to a man, as many operational Space Shuttles as NASA does.
Yes, we're all that awesome. Give yourself a hug.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”