Highways

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shimrod
x4

Post by Shimrod » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 22:37

Toastie wrote:I think you'll be mildly surprised at what you will be able to do while travelling in a highway.
Perhaps we can exchange Grey Poupon with passing ships :)

Syock

Post by Syock » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 22:38

I'll have drones fly over to ships as they pass by and sell sandwiches to the crews.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 22:45

Syock wrote:I'll have drones fly over to ships as they pass by and sell sandwiches to the crews.
Cargobay now contains... BLT. :P

Aquitaine
x4

Post by Aquitaine » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 15:39

This is actually one of the best pieces of news I've seen, both in terms of recognizing one of the limiting factors in X (SETA) and in coming up with a novel solution for it (highways). Kudos to Ego.

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 16:04

Lets hope my english is good enough to make this understandable:

As far as I understand highways (HW from now on) are just "high speed zones" that allow you to "hop out" in real space at any point you want... I also assume that you can interact with other ships on the HW in the same way you could do on Real Space but ANY interaction across the HW Interface will not be possible.

I think the idea is to be able to create Stations along a HW any traveler would want to hop out close.

So I think what Ego is after is to give us what has always been VERY HARD to do on past games...

...To ADD content to the mostly-empty Space easily.

There are a few important questions although:

- Superhighways are simply Gate Jumps with "travel time" with some backgroung loading? Or one can Hop Out in new Sectors?

- How one can "Hope In" into a Regular Highway, at the endpoints only? Or anywhere across their path?

- Are they linear, curved or twisted paths?

- How is direction going to be managed? Independent tunnels? Or Relativistic Space shared ones were space is deformed so travellers going on in different directions can fly past others at "slow" speeds?

- This time there will be effective ways to prevent ships to access in/out certain portions of a HW?

The way I see it, HW are a certain way to create "trade routes" on space beyond the physical placement of the trade hubs...

...If I understood them correctrly, ofc.

Syock

Post by Syock » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 16:23

From my understanding:
ragamer wrote:There are a few important questions although:

- Superhighways are simply Gate Jumps with "travel time" with some backgroung loading? Or one can Hop Out in new Sectors?

I believe superhighways are still smaller than gate jumps. The levels of travel they have explained left out the top tier.

- How one can "Hope In" into a Regular Highway, at the endpoints only? Or anywhere across their path?

Regular highways are suppose to be accessible at any point along it's path. Super highways are only accessible at their endpoints or possibly on/off ramp type of setup.

- Are they linear, curved or twisted paths?

No idea, but the picture shown was linear.

- How is direction going to be managed? Independent tunnels? Or Relativistic Space shared ones were space is deformed so travellers going on in different directions can fly past others at "slow" speeds?

I would imagine two independent tunnels going opposite directions. They said it would take skill to meet other craft in the highway, which leaves the door open for a few possible answers to how things are working in game.

- This time there will be effective ways to prevent ships to access in/out certain portions of a HW?

Only super highways seem to have a choke point.

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 16:34

From my understanding, each sector is going to be HUGE now. So large, that we will have multiple highways in it, and lots of empty space too, and lots of places to explore. Then if you want to go to another "sector", we will take a super highway, that we cannot exit. This is probably to hide the breaks in the universe.

I do not think the technology is ready for a single, immense universe with no breaks in it. I would love a universe where I can go anywhere at all, no limitations, but we are probably not there yet. But from the info we have, we will have really big sectors (or so I hope).

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”