What we need to know

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euskai
x3tc

What we need to know

Post by euskai » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 10:17

is how will the "remote control thing" work. Or more precisely, what will be possible to pilot and what won´t.

Not sure if it´s because Egosoft has not decided yet, but a little more info would have ended all the "WTF only one ship" flak.

My opinion, if we can control the equivalent of X3TC M3/4/5 using th VR it will be even better than TC, as you will be able to fly into big battles in a fighter without worrying about "game overs" which just can´t be avoided in such a weak ship.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 13:35

It is pretty clear to me than VR flying only applies to drones. There is nothing about other ships, and there will be one cockpit in the whole game (for the Pride of Albion).

That said, combat drones are likely to replace M5/M4 classes, while torpedo drones (according to the pictures) replace M3/M3+ class.
Right on commander !

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 05:40

Geek wrote:It is pretty clear to me than VR flying only applies to drones. There is nothing about other ships, and there will be one cockpit in the whole game (for the Pride of Albion).

That said, combat drones are likely to replace M5/M4 classes, while torpedo drones (according to the pictures) replace M3/M3+ class.
It seems there are drones, and there are capital ships. It appears that (some) capital ships carry freight. It also appears that (some) drones carry freight.

Torpedo drones may only fire torpedoes, replacing the M8.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 09:08

Shootist wrote:It seems there are drones, and there are capital ships. It appears that (some) capital ships carry freight. It also appears that (some) drones carry freight.
So what ? It does not mean you can fly capital ships.
Look closely to this picture of the torpedo drone :
http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/ ... rpedo1.jpg
Do you really think those six "arms" are torpedo launchers ? They seems much more like heavy guns (you can even see ammo racks). Remember, the TC M8 only has two missile launchers, and is big as a corvette.
Right on commander !

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 16:58

Geek wrote:
Shootist wrote:It seems there are drones, and there are capital ships. It appears that (some) capital ships carry freight. It also appears that (some) drones carry freight.
So what ? It does not mean you can fly capital ships.
Look closely to this picture of the torpedo drone :
http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/ ... rpedo1.jpg
Do you really think those six "arms" are torpedo launchers ? They seems much more like heavy guns (you can even see ammo racks). Remember, the TC M8 only has two missile launchers, and is big as a corvette.
Right. It also means you cannot fly freighters.

Yes, those six "guns" are torpedo launchers. The drone may only have six shots. You might have dozens of these little buggers, as well.

I'm starting to believe that size comparisons between games isn't going to tell us anything.
Last edited by Shootist on Sun, 2. Oct 11, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 17:26

I agree that it seems sensible that the torpedo drone would launch... torpedos. ¬¬ And an ammo rack means nothing. I mean, you need to store the torpedos, don't you! And to me, it looks rather like the ammo IS torpedos. I like the idea of a drone which arms and fires salvos. :)
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 18:22

I think the drones in this new game will pretty much take the place of all fighters in the old series. So the game will be centered around cap ships and stations, and their full complement of fighters (drones). So there will be drones of all kinds, and their size will probably be comparable to old M3/M4/M5.

We have to wait for more info, of course, but when we hear drones, we think of the old tiny X drones. I have the feeling they are going to be completely different and blow us away.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 19:51

It would seem that the drone has taken over the role of scout, fighter, bomber and corvette. I would imagine they will all now play a role in combat against enemy capitals as they are now supposed to be huge.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 20:29

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:It would seem that the drone has taken over the role of scout, fighter, bomber and corvette. I would imagine they will all now play a role in combat against enemy capitals as they are now supposed to be huge.
Sabotage, direct, and indirect fire; used to attack various hard points on the surface of Capitals and Stations, from all descriptions. This could be quite a game.

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 20:38

Yeh when someone says drone you think tiny little bot with a bb gun kinda thing but if you look at todays drone fighters they are almost as big as a manned fighter and its only logical to have unmanned fighters in space coz the human body would restrict the kind of manuvers a fighter can pull off.

But really every ship in the game that has NPC's (or the player ship) is essentially going to be a kind of carrier that can launch different sizes of drone.
Example a cap ship can hold and launch something up to an old M6 like drone and all the others while smaller ships will be restricted to small fighter drones.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 20:43

Well capitals are built like stations now I guess, meaning you add modules like turrets and hangers maybe.

euskai
x3tc

Post by euskai » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 20:45

You can call it drones or purple unicorns, if they act more or less like small bombers and fighters then it´s good enough for me.

Even better than TC, where flying a fighter in a big battle (where fighters are supossed to die by scores) is not a good idea

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 20:50

It kinda puts you in the seat of a fleet commander giving u easier control of the masses of little buggers zipping around. It sounds like a huge improvment to me especially when you consider than your not the only drone happy ship in space.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 20:55

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:Well capitals are built like stations now I guess, meaning you add modules like turrets and hangers maybe.
Yep.

guns, sensors, shield generators, hanger bays, missiles launchers, boarding pods, communications, have all been mentioned in one interview or another.

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 21:03

Shootist
Yep.

guns, sensors, shield generators, hanger bays, missiles launchers, boarding pods, communications, have all been mentioned in one interview or another.
And from all that configuration potential is where RPG and Stratergy come into the game.

Like do u customise this ship for all guns and little shielding or do u ballance it, or do i put loads of shields on it and anti fighter guns on it and send it in first to draw fire away from the gun ships.

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 21:08

Decimatarius wrote:Shootist
Like do u customise this ship for all guns and little shielding or do u ballance it, or do i put loads of shields on it and anti fighter guns on it and send it in first to draw fire away from the gun ships.
Or my favourite style in all the games that support it:

Strap as many hangars as you can on it, no weapons, and no defensive measures, and keep the mothership far from harm. And then unleash the bees.

I call it the "hive" tactic. Beehives have no defenses, punch it and it'll break. But god help you if it sends it's flying death machines against you!

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 21:13

Dantrithor wrote:
Or my favourite style in all the games that support it:

Strap as many hangars as you can on it, no weapons, and no defensive measures, and keep the mothership far from harm. And then unleash the bees.

I call it the "hive" tactic. Beehives have no defenses, punch it and it'll break. But god help you if it sends it's flying death machines against you!
Yeh just sit back and watch the fireworks.....quite literally.
Oh and hope that your fireworks last longer than theirs :P

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:17

One thing though is how do we aquire these drones. Do we have the ability to build them onboard ship to replace lost drones, or do we just build/buy them at stations I wonder... Would be nice if capitals at least have the ability to repair or replace lost drones.

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:22

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:One thing though is how do we aquire these drones. Do we have the ability to build them onboard ship to replace lost drones, or do we just build/buy them at stations I wonder... Would be nice if capitals at least have the ability to repair or replace lost drones.
I suspect that they will be buyable but also buildable in your own stations if you outfit them for that task. As for capitals building them it might be an optional modual than can be equiped but i suspect and ship and repair them or atleast the capitals.

shireknight
x3tc

Post by shireknight » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 03:28

It sounds to me like the capital ship battles will now be proper long lasting battles where you have time to run around issuing orders to your crew in order to fight and target individual systems on the enemy ship or repair certain area's of your ship say the engines while sacrificing others in order so you can flee as opposed to two ships opening fire on each other and 10 seconds later one of them is just a cloud of space dust like in the previous games.

I like it, I really, really like it 8)
My (new) PC:-

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache)
Microsoft Windows 10
16 GB DDR3 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”