Complex is good! Lets get serious.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kar
x3tc

Complex is good! Lets get serious.

Post by Kar » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:19

After getting the newsletter from Egosoft and getting links to the new forums section of X-R I read them all.

The feeling I got was that, X is going to get complex. So, yes, complex is good, complicated is not.

I loved the description of the ideas for the stations for example. I would love to have total interactivity with the process of building stations, instead the "building" processing we all know.

Modular is in fact the key, like they mention. Also, I believe this should get more "real time". The most "stupid" feature on all X games was the SETA function. One thing is to get the player move fast, other is to get the universe move fast!

I guess the few improvements they described in this area is going to be something very interesting. (Join me and ban SETA).

Enough of silly complexes building stations, even with some cool mods that allowed to build a complex in a organized fashion, I do believe, stations should be total interactive and give the player the ability to put every system, every piece of equipment manually. I do want to decide what modules to build on my station, I want to decide what guns I will put and where, and I want to decide more complex functions of my station whatever they be.

Give me the power!

The ships, is something that I can sense, it will be good and bad. Thats very cool to have crew, interact with them (as long they are smart and not give just 2 or 3 possible answers...), and they should learn experience. The idea might be getting a bit of the X games and give a bit of RPG stats.

But getting to a point where we control drones (looks like it will be a nice feature btw) I do want to pilot my small ship and blast my way. I agree, capital ships are boring to fly, still I do enjoy the experience of piloting and controlling this kind of ships, but thats just me.

This also, brings back the modular concept that were mentioned on stations. All things should be allowed to the player to choose what to put on his ship, not just weapons or shields or missiles or whatever. I want to feel what is really tunning my ship and see the results in a cosmetic way and in a "real life" application. The tunning system should not be a commodity to be bought like crystals. Let us choose the different type of "mechanical" improvements to out ships, deciding in more choices on engines types (call it whatever you want) power plants, shield arrays, shield generators and so on. With this complex building of a ship (whatever the type) the customization would be much more personal.

I mean, every that owns a a M4 or a M5, knows it is the same to everyone. I want my ship to be built according to my needs and my specifications. Get complex!

The X universe, is small.... It is. Really. No matter how many sector you put in it, solar systems sucks. According to what I read and interpreted, they want to change this. Let the solar systems be really big and give us the chance of random exploration. I meant, there is not much fun if in every game we get to the sector Y and move the cordinates X,Y,Z and get the same object.

Let exploration be real in X. Unique items, unique riches and a new way of finding hidden objects that would be random.

This also brings mining concept, beside of asteroids mining with lasers or stations, even if I heard the word "gas clouds?" mining should be more personal then hitting the (i) key and getting the valor of a rock. Give me a bit of prospecting.

So, yes, lets get complex. X should be a complex game but should be much more personal since this is a offline game. So give me plenty of choices in my game.

Best regards and good luck to the Egosoft team.
Kar

"Do, or do not! There is no try."
- Yoda, Jedi Master

My passions online | Best Space Games

madcow

Post by madcow » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 23:32

I do kind of wish they had used the word "deep" instead of "complex", to be honest.

Kar
x3tc

Post by Kar » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 00:58

It can be both I guess. The thing is to be able to give the player a much more richer immersion and interactivity with the universe.

The ability of completely design a new game like they say with Rebirth, give the possibility of looking to the community in the past and see what we want.

I do not want to compare X games with some already space games established on the market, and it is a bad thing to just copy.

So, I am looking forward to play Rebirth.

Still the world "modular" came to my attention in the threads made by Egosoft about the new game.

Modular is good and if well applied in X-Rebirth might be a doorway for future expansions and more content to the players.
Kar

"Do, or do not! There is no try."
- Yoda, Jedi Master

My passions online | Best Space Games

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 23:32

I think Egosoft should move away from the Mx nomenclature. I mean, it does not even work properly anymore. The higher the number, the smaller the ship. But then came M6 which are corvette class, then M7 which are destroyer class, then back to M8 which are bombers (?). Then we have TS, TP, TM, TL... I'm sure we have many more.

The problem is that if a newcomer just reads the paragraph I wrote above, he/she will not have the slightest idea what I'm talking about and will probably think I'm crazy!! which I am by the way, but that is another discussion.

I hope Egosoft moves towards a more standard ship type convention.

Scouts (old M5)
Interceptors (old M4)
Medium Fighter (old M3)
Heavy Fighter (old M3+)
Bomber (old M8)
Corvettes
Destroyers
Missile destroyers
Carriers
Battleships
Motherships

That would be a lot easier for newcomers (and oldtimers as well) to understand. This also allows new ship types to be included much easier (Dreadnaught, stealth scout, stealth interceptor, ramming corvette, boarding corvette, etc).

We need complexity (although. I also prefer "depth"), not complications.

rusky
x4

Post by rusky » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 09:56

To be fair, the only thing I found lacking in previous X games was the UI.
If XTC had a proper mouse driven UI (i know you CAN use your mouse with it now, but it's still the old keyboard, 10 cascading menu style interface) I would've been hard pressed to find it any faults.

I like many of the things they want to add and change so I'm not complaining yet. I just pray they won't oversimplify it for the console crowd later on.

thyco
x4

Post by thyco » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 10:25

Im parital to Blizzard'd mantra:

Soon™ :lol:

I kid, Blizzards mantra is: Easy to learn - Hard to Master.

One thing that i really hope that Rebirth brings us is a great tutorial that can help people with the basics for every aspect of gameplay. Basic ship control is all well and good, but people who are new to the game dont know how to start a build a station and start generating an income from trade.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 10:53

thyco wrote:One thing that i really hope that Rebirth brings us is a great tutorial that can help people with the basics for every aspect of gameplay. Basic ship control is all well and good, but people who are new to the game dont know how to start a build a station and start generating an income from trade.
A decent tutorial would be awesome, because lets face it, all players are going to be new to this game. Previous title experience might count for very little!
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 19:24

strude wrote:
thyco wrote:One thing that i really hope that Rebirth brings us is a great tutorial that can help people with the basics for every aspect of gameplay. Basic ship control is all well and good, but people who are new to the game dont know how to start a build a station and start generating an income from trade.
A decent tutorial would be awesome, because lets face it, all players are going to be new to this game. Previous title experience might count for very little!
I hope the first 20 hours of game play is the tutorial :)
Still life in the old dog yet...

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”