Like what I am hearing... but how's diplomacy work?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

snwboardn21
x4

Like what I am hearing... but how's diplomacy work?

Post by snwboardn21 » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 21:40

I really like what I heard about the stations, actually requiring resources to build it should stimulate the economy and create a nice demand for raw materials.

My biggest concern is diplomacy, will it be a strict A vs B vs C or will relations change over time? Not only with the player but also NPC factions against other NPC factions? A dynamic campaign is the only thing missing from the X series in my opinion.

It would be awesome to see alien races expand their territory, and be able to persuade some races to start a war with one that you might not like.
"It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt"

Syock

Re: Like what I am hearing... but how's diplomacy work?

Post by Syock » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 21:46

snwboardn21 wrote:It would be awesome to see alien races expand their territory, and be able to persuade some races to start a war with one that you might not like.
That would be a lot of persuading. I hope they don't raise your taxes to pay for the war effort, or get their rears kicked.

shireknight
x3tc

Post by shireknight » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 22:04

snwboardn21 wrote:I really like what I heard about the stations, actually requiring resources to build it should stimulate the economy and create a nice demand for raw materials.

My biggest concern is diplomacy, will it be a strict A vs B vs C or will relations change over time? Not only with the player but also NPC factions against other NPC factions? A dynamic campaign is the only thing missing from the X series in my opinion.

It would be awesome to see alien races expand their territory, and be able to persuade some races to start a war with one that you might not like.
I agree completely I also feel the only thing missing from the x-games is a conquest style overall campaign theme which is strange because the games are all built up around combat yet the races can never expand or be defeated by the others :?
My (new) PC:-

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache)
Microsoft Windows 10
16 GB DDR3 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 22:17

I'm pretty sure that Egosoft has meant to make the races and players more dynamic through conquest, it's just that it's a really tall order from a development and programming standpoint and they have too much to do in other areas.

Previous X games always seems to be set up to have sectors change ownership (even to the player), it's just that the gameplay isn't set up to do so.

This is understandable, since having sectors change hands would bring up a myriad of gameplay design/balance issues, technical bugs, and require even further testing and development time placed into them and Egosoft is already spread thin trying to work out other, more fundamental gameplay aspects.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

strude
x4

Post by strude » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:02

snwboardn21 wrote:... and be able to persuade some races to start a war with one that you might not like.
This would be good if implemented properly. I can't see how the player could influence race A to declare all out war on race B, just by comming someone and going "you really really should declare war on those nasty B's" :roll:

It might require the player to do several covert operations without getting caught to blame the other race, or might require back room dealings with military personnel to hit the button at just the right time, for just the right price of course :twisted: . The result would lead one race to think the other is working against it. A whole espionage side like we've never seen before could develop, where wars can be engineered to the players advantage.

It'd be a pretty big ask though, especially for the initial release.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:38

Definitly would be nice to have a certain civilization bit of gameplay in a x game. Diplomacy and territory wars.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 15:52

I also hope penalties are more drastic. Destroying a station, or capturing a capital ship took you back a few ranks, made them mad for a while, but that was it. It should be a capital offense to destroy any faction station, or capture one of their capital ships. I mean, if they did that to me, I would be pretty ticked off.

That also opens up more avenues for diplomacy. Such transgression should be fixable in the diplomatic sector, but it should be pretty difficult and take a long time.

snwboardn21
x4

Post by snwboardn21 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 16:50

I don't even necessarily think the player should be able to "own sectors", but just like the real world once you have enough money you could "influence" other races, depending on their trust of you...

I think the community could do this after the fact, I think this community has some of the most talented modders and scripters, but the only thing that seemed to be a problem was the unability to permanently remove default stations.

I know where this conversation leads, but the ability to make that an option would probably help...

It will be interesting to see how they deal with "sectors." From the posts by Bernd it sounds like the universe will be more like a wide expanse than individual sectors like we know from the past. This is completely conjecture but it sounds like you can use the highways if you want but you could also just fly there without using them.
"It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt"

Sareth01
x3tc

Post by Sareth01 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 20:11

KloHunt3r wrote:I'm pretty sure that Egosoft has meant to make the races and players more dynamic through conquest, it's just that it's a really tall order from a development and programming standpoint and they have too much to do in other areas.

Previous X games always seems to be set up to have sectors change ownership (even to the player), it's just that the gameplay isn't set up to do so.

This is understandable, since having sectors change hands would bring up a myriad of gameplay design/balance issues, technical bugs, and require even further testing and development time placed into them and Egosoft is already spread thin trying to work out other, more fundamental gameplay aspects.
That improved races mod for X3TC was quite brilliant at this, and made the game MUCH more exciting. Stuff actually happened in the universe!!!!!!!!! lol

Decimatarius
x4

Post by Decimatarius » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 23:22

After reading this thread i kinda like the idea of inter race wars.
I think i know how it could be done though and would work great with how they now have the concept of multiple connected sectors within a Solar System and with how civilisations have become divided in the events leading up to Rebirth and old lore for example Split and Boron hating eachother.
The idea would require that there be some neutral or ownerless solar systems placed inbetween the races that act as conflict zones and contested areas that will activate or deactivate as the story goes on or by actions taken by the player in the name of a race like a mission where the boron ask the player to take care of a group of split privateers which provokes the split to war.
But these sectors cant change ownership and will always be lawless and unowned, but fighting will be fierce in them with each side and maybe even the player setting up millitary stations and patrols. But just when victory for 1 side seems to be possible the other side will pull out sudden reserves of ships and drive the enemy/player back so that the only way fighting can occur in owned space is by the player risking everything to attack without any help from who ever he was helping because they were forced to retreat.

Hmmmm i think ill shut up now lol

Bill67
x4

Post by Bill67 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 09:24

Well in one of the stickies or interviews he mentioned space isnt going to be segmented by races this go around. But if does make you wonder what will be the political boundaries lines and will we be earning corporation faction over race faction?

I still wonder with the blended race mix will we be seeing a return of elite style space where some systems have different set of laws in place?

I wouldnt mind this approach as it gives a bit more spice to riskier trading and/or bounty collecting.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”