Unbiased Poll about The Pride of Albion vs multiple ships - Part 1

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Mon, 18. Jun 12, 02:50

ConCorDian wrote:i suppose, my worry with it would be that if the player is the only person using this, it could make the playership too powerful depending how it was applied. id personally prefer to be able to buy a different playership than have a playership that is/could be the all powerful vessel within its class... obviously they could balance it fairly well, but i just think it might be a bit on the hard side to really balance, lets face it with tons of various ways to do it, they would need to balance all of them...
The problem with TC and AP has always been that the AI is as dumb as a sack of hammers. They don't use any effective tactics. If Egosoft really has improved AI significantly with Rebirth, that could be the key to balancing things out.

What we really need is more info.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Mon, 18. Jun 12, 07:51

the-danzorz wrote:
ConCorDian wrote:. or commanding a big destroyer as i wipe out a sector.
That is the one thing you can do, you can dock on the capital ship and command it much more then any previous games. Telling it where to go and probably which surface elements to target. You'll be able to command your fleets and ships by giving more dynamic orders and make combat more realistic and risky.

You just can't fly it like a fighter anymore.
If I remember correctly, Bernd stated way back in the No Capships Thread that the player wouldn't control capships from the bridge anymore, so no, you can't do that. What I assume you can is give some general directives to the NPC like "Attack enemy capitals" or something like that.

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Mon, 18. Jun 12, 09:15

perhaps the AI will make a difference, your right, hell maybe if they got it correct we will be screaming for a better playership!!

also i think i remember the statement your talking about, it was to clarify what he said before... he said people could dock and give commands from the deck of the ship... most people automatically took that as a "command" deck or Bridge of somesort... whereas no it isn't its more like the hanger/flight deck...

bugger it, we will see how far we can go once it comes out....
find me on Steam
check out Roguey's Wiki - still under development

Aydan

Post by Aydan » Mon, 18. Jun 12, 18:58

Wall of text, i'm sorry ;)
Slashman wrote: The problem with TC and AP has always been that the AI is as dumb as a sack of hammers. They don't use any effective tactics. If Egosoft really has improved AI significantly with Rebirth, that could be the key to balancing things out.

What we really need is more info.
That's not true. The AI isn't as half as stupid as it behaves in the last three X series parts (Reunion/TC/AP) The AI is not a fixed and complete entity in game, it's also not a single file roaming through your RAM ;) It's mainly a collection of assumptions how a certain situation will develop, and how an object should behave in this particular situation. These assumptions are old, very old. I'd bet that some of them have been carried over since X-btF. To me, it seems that at least the fighting scripts were written with the strafe drive as a part of the upgrade process ;) Anyway, when they were written is irrelevant, but they assume a certain ship behaviour which isn't mirrored in the ship stats at all. Those fight and flight scripts are working well, if the ship stats are kept in a given range, which is roughly matching the M4 class. If you experiment a bit and expand the the dependencies between basic speed and basic yaw/pitch/roll, angular acceleration and max acceleration (with tunings already included), you will see how much more you can get out of the "AI" overall.

Did you know that you can get a M6 to dodge incoming capital fire, when it was hit? It can, even in TC, but if you apply more and more cool stats and forget about the recommended ones, you end up with a ship unable to brake, or to turn fast enough to get out of the line of fire. Unfortunately this was the way how the X series was developping in the last 7 years, so we ended up with a totally screwed ships and weapons setting, not even thinking about the missiles :roll:

Instead of researching what went wrong and deconstructing their own product, ES decided to break the line and to start over new. I assume that the mess created with all those ships led to the cut for having only a single ship available for the player. This way, it will be a lot easier to railroad the game experience for the majority of players, as all will have and do the same things. The problem is, that there are still different ship types, regardless which ones, and they will still react accordingly to scripts made in assumption of certain situations. They will still have the same problem with dependencies of stats/values, scaling their speed and agility for example. The recommended stats and dependencies will be different, as the game will be probably done from scratch, but they're still there, as this is not an abstract design problem, or solved beer the sheer willpower of the devs. It's a mathematical problem, and it won't disappear magically just because it's a new game. This is only an assumption, but everything i read, from the drone featrure to the usage of capital ships under remote control, was made to keep the behaviour of ships a lot more comfortable to handle in the development. That caps should and must turn so slow, that it would be a pain for the player to fly them themselves, that drones will be the perfect replacement for all those dogfight loving pilots out there and so on. The key element to ship classes are distinctions, the pixel shape of an object does NOT define the role. If you throw in blindly things like a M6, flying as fast as M5, mounting weapons like a M7 (Starbursts on a M6!) you'll end up with a Springblossom. The same happened in Reunion with the Hyperion. 4 GAMMA PSGs on a ship with the shape of a M6 and the shields like a light destroyer? If you do such things, and change the rest of the ships equally liberate, you don't have to wonder why in the end everything seems to be screwed up, including the "AI". You simply get ships unable to stop before turning crashing into asteroids/gates and other ships. You get those ships unable to match the rendezvous point for stations, turning around again and again in order to dock. You'll find also a hint why those wasps are circling caps instead of hitting them correctly.
If this issue isn't solved by the ES dev team, it will be carried over to Rebirth, and i think that this will be the case, as all i heard from ES in interviews and articles isn't pointing out that there will be a distinction. I may be wrong, as i haven't seen the game. And before the release day has come, nobody will.

To me, the single ship solution would be a negative experience, as far i can judge about it just from reading news and articles. On the one side, i'd be really angry to fly only a single ship just because of the inability of devs to handle other flyable ship classes. On the other side, i've not played the x series as a real time strategy game. To sit back in safety, letting my minions slaying the enemy, watching fireworks and so on, is exciting the first time, colorful the second, and plain boring the third time. I like to risk my virtual life, dodging the bullets zipping past my windshield, i like to feel alive, not safe. That's NOT a judgement about how you have to play the game in my opinion. It's just a different way. If some people are enjoying a more rts or DiD style gameplay, that's absolutely fine. Especially in DiDs you won't risk month of game progression, just because you want to testdrive your brand new Mamba against a cap. But as rts/DiD style is one way to have some fun in game, the personal engagement is too. And this has been apparently going south with the Rebirth ons ship only gameplay. Sure, you can fly drones... cool. I remember that it was a very hyped feature in the 2007/2008 announcements that you could actually instantly jump into the action, even if it was miles away, or even in a different sector.... by just using the remote control. Up to this day, i haven't found any instant action jumps... i still have to fly there, and i expect the drone feature to be exactly as thrilling like trying to steer a ship remotely controlled while staring on the enlarged upper left monitor. If you haven't tried this method... highlight one of your ships in sector, play around with the controls a bit.... and tadaaaa, you can steer it remotely even in TC. Maybe i will be proven wrong, and maybe this will get supercool. I'd be happy to be wrong, but i won't hold my breath until i see some reviews/let's play videos talking about it.

Another thing why i don't like the single ship idea is, that ROLEPLAY (in capital letters) is a lot more than some animated menu options with a hot babe in the background and a starcraft like cockpit. The player defines mainly his roles by his ability to ACT, not to talk or to deploy satellites. If i'm in the mood to play a galaxy wide known warlord, i simply refuse to sit in something smaller than a M7. I'm not trying to pimp up a M6 like a douche. If i'm an assassin, i'll play that by having the meanest arsenal of guns and missiles to onehit my target. I simply DO NOT waltz in with a M6 so big it could be a pregnant garbage can. I won't dock at a dirty soyfarm to shove in soybeans into the ships bay with my bare hands, if i'm sitting in a fancy M6. I'd do that with my old and trusty, slightly smelling TS freighter. Blue grass played from the Music system of a anime style customized Honda CRV isn't exactly suitable. And i think i'm not alone with my opinion. The look of the player, the way and ability to act is defined by the type of ship you're flying is your role. Roleplay is not only talking to a virtual hot babe and to tell a retarded but three eyed superior being in which way he should be heading. I'm not comfortable with flying the same ship. And in this case i don't even like the look of it.

Furthermore, the cut in the x series means also that a single ship gets in the way of modding. I know my ins and outs of the stats, a bit of MD and basic modelling. If i see a NEEDED feature, which is exclusively tied to a single ship, it gives me the creeps. The crew function will be tied to the ship as such, as youd need backgrounds, camera points and the according adjustments in the files, like the number of viewpoints. You can not simply make a new model and paste it over the old one, even if it uses the same entries. The cameras in the object senes will have to match the ones defining the stats. If you do a mighty destroyer as replacement, you may end up with a peaceful view on the inside of the ships hull. We don't know a single thing about how objects are handled so far, maybe it's simple, but i fear it's like always and we need to work around things a lot.
Now, when it comes down to modding and Steam... i don't want to start a discussion about Steam, this belongs in a different thread. But with the mod folder as probably the only option to mod things, we're bound to the way the game handles it. If the Cockpit and crew features are bound to the script engine (which is already announced, there will be scripts), the question arises... does the game read scripts from the modding folder at all? Does it eventually only read only Mission Director files from that folder? Will there be any way to change these things via MD? If the game only reads certain types of files from the mod folder, than that's it with modding, there will be no new ships mod without a decent workaround. And this workaround will be constantly screwed up by all those patches. A nightmare to support, because of the auto update steam function. Many users will be threatened away from using mods from the beginning. And we haven't heard anything about it, even Gazz got no further public available informations about modding when he asked earlier this year.

Also, there aren't enough active MD coders to handle a bigger mod, even if they'd work together. The XML language works, no doubt about that one, but it's very ressource hungry if you don't plan your checks right, or if you use larger files. The implementation of the conversations file makes mods incompatible with each other by default, for example. The files themselves get very quickly unreadable and require a certain level of experience, whereas the Script editor is a lot more straight forward for those who have been tinkering with programming and coding before. Those few MD coders are not enough to dig out the needed details. You may want to take a look at the MSCI, you may even remember Deadly Da's X wiki. A game like Reunion or TC is so complex, that it would take years for a handful of people to even write a documentation. If the cut in the engine is that deep, we won't see decent mods soon. And i don't mean months. Where are all those scripters and modders? The majority has already left or is bound by the ES NDA. The publisher of Rebirth will be Deep Silver, and they move all their games over to Steam, regardless if it works or not. Happened to the risen 2 modding community also. Deep Silver is part of Koch Media, and Koch Media is the german branch of Sony. So they work according to the Sony philosophy. Do you expect a company under Sony's supervision to be modding friendly? The Risen 2 community asked for only some details, and eventually a small modding tool... everything was denied from the beginning. Do we have modding tools from ES? No, X3Editor, YAGG, everything generated by users. ES is very modding friendly when it comes down to the usage their own material, and i'm very happy about it. Except Bethesda with TES there's no company so tolerant towards their modding community, so two thumbs up here. Every feature incorporated in a patch or even addons like AP were not simply taken from the modding forum. Each author was asked politely before, and this is a commendable behaviour. But when it comes down to actively supporting, i think they aren't allowed to hand out modding tools, because of their publisher. Now, how long will it take to dig out and document the examples and structures? Who will write the perl script for the GMax if there's no Exporter for a possible new object file extension? It requires a decent amount of enthusiastic people working on that. I'm pessimistic when it comes down to a possible ship mod for Rebirth. I expect ES to hand out less informations about modding than before, because the game will be, judging on Deep Silvers last dlc policy, plastered with unnescessary dlcs. New ship crew? A Split one? No problem, 9,99 €. New ship? 15 €. That's the way i expect when watching Deep Silver and not ES. Mods would be in direct competition, and the interest in supporting a community capable of doing exactly this would be very low, if the publisher follows the same strategy he showed already before.

Wall of text, i know. Sorry. I also don't want to step on anyones toes, nor start any discussion. Nobody should feel personally offended, it's not intended. But this one ship feature is a step backwards for me, because the people working on that game have been a bit short sighted. I do clearly like to fly more than a single ship. I don't need a cockpit, or something fancy. Still, we will see how it works when the game is released, and maybe i'm completely wrong. But i fear i'm not. So far, i have buried my dreams to play another part of the X series silently very deep. Time will tell what'll happen.

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Mon, 18. Jun 12, 19:01

yeh ill read through that when i get an hour or two :P
find me on Steam

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 03:20

My modded game works great.

You don't like how it behaves.. season with whatever mods you like.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 04:50

wwdragon wrote:My modded game works great.

You don't like how it behaves.. season with whatever mods you like.
If you read Aydan's post, you might see that doing that may be a bit harder than just modding in the ability to fly another ship.

If everything is tied to the skunk interior and characters...it may be a modding nightmare to make flying other ships work.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 09:39

Noimageavaiable wrote:
the-danzorz wrote:
ConCorDian wrote:. or commanding a big destroyer as i wipe out a sector.
That is the one thing you can do, you can dock on the capital ship and command it much more then any previous games. Telling it where to go and probably which surface elements to target. You'll be able to command your fleets and ships by giving more dynamic orders and make combat more realistic and risky.

You just can't fly it like a fighter anymore.
If I remember correctly, Bernd stated way back in the No Capships Thread that the player wouldn't control capships from the bridge anymore, so no, you can't do that. What I assume you can is give some general directives to the NPC like "Attack enemy capitals" or something like that.
Read the stickies, he said you can't pilot them from the bridge like you used too. You however are on "Deck" commanding the ship through the NPCs and can now give more complex orders.

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 10:52

the-danzorz wrote:Read the stickies, he said you can't pilot them from the bridge like you used too. You however are on "Deck" commanding the ship through the NPCs and can now give more complex orders.
yeh thats what we are saying, but the "deck" sounds more like the hanger deck of the ship and not the "command" deck like the bridge... end of the day we will see what its like once its here for us to all enjoy...
find me on Steam

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 15:41

ConCorDian wrote:
the-danzorz wrote:Read the stickies, he said you can't pilot them from the bridge like you used too. You however are on "Deck" commanding the ship through the NPCs and can now give more complex orders.
yeh thats what we are saying, but the "deck" sounds more like the hanger deck of the ship and not the "command" deck like the bridge... end of the day we will see what its like once its here for us to all enjoy...
If you read the stickies it doesn't sound like a Hanger Deck at all.
You can in fact even land on these beasts and get out of your playership to meet NPCs while watching the large ship move around in space FROM the deck of the ship!

We want to make the game easier to understand by controlling many of the complex things you can do in an X game through conversations.

Instead of dry and hard-to-interpret text menus, you will be talking to people. You will give them commands and they willl tell you about their progress - all in the form of conversations.

Captain of a ship: He or she is the person on the bridge who steers the ship according to your commands. You can tell them what you want them to do in very fine detail, or you give them more freedom or assign them to work for a station manager.
Seeing as capital ships can be built block by block chances are we will have a command deck for stations and ships. With the way ships are now managed and upgraded and having different rooms. A command deck is the only place where you can logically manage a station or ship.

Has also been stated that you'll be able to see the space around you live. you can't exactly issue orders to a ship during battle if you're stuck in a hanger deck look at your rear or side, depending on ship design.

Also if you're in the hanger deck, having an "interactive conversation" which is done outside of the player ship. Who is flying the ship while the pilot is on the hanger deck taking in your orders?

Also why is everyone you will need to talk to for upgrades etc for that ship all in the hanger?

It entirely defeats the purpose of this feature if they don't plan to actually use it, We know we have rooms in ships and stations now, so we won't be stuck in a hanger bay. This notion was changed from someone believing you could only land on the Haul of the ship, which you can actually do. and that was all. it's just an extension of that theory which has been debunked.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 18:15

the-danzorz wrote: We know we have rooms in ships and stations now
Really ? Offficial source please.
I always read the contrary : only the Albion has an interior.

Also "conversation" does not necessarily mean being physically at the same place, neither in games or real life.
Right on commander !

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 20:47

actually Geek you might be right... just re read the stickies, and the only ship that is directly said to have different rooms is the Skunk. all it says on capitals and stations is you can leave your ship and walk around and see whats happening from the deck... again that does point towards the deck being a Flight Deck/Landing Deck/Hanger Deck of some sorts
find me on Steam

Paladin-Solo

Post by Paladin-Solo » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 22:01

I'd much rather be able to hope into any ship, but if they add some serious customization to your one ship i could be ok with it, but i really doubt it.

Sahvion
x3tc

Post by Sahvion » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 22:11

The skunk having interiors might very well be the first step toward 'all' ships and stations possessing it once Egosoft perfects the design and concept.

In short; give it time.

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 23:38

i agree... im treating this game as X-BTF... this will be more the basis on what the following games will be based on. and i hope something like X-Tension occurs as well as additional follow-ups
find me on Steam

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Tue, 19. Jun 12, 23:47

ConCorDian wrote:actually Geek you might be right... just re read the stickies, and the only ship that is directly said to have different rooms is the Skunk. all it says on capitals and stations is you can leave your ship and walk around and see whats happening from the deck... again that does point towards the deck being a Flight Deck/Landing Deck/Hanger Deck of some sorts
The skunk is the only ship with a different room, that is true. However i never said the stations or ships had multiple rooms. Just that we had rooms now in stations and ships which is the case.

Atm we are already stuck in a hanger when we dock at stations, so this really isn't a new development or feature if we're stuck in the hanger still. it also makes no logically sense in anyway, that we can manage a ship or station from a hanger. We get multiple rooms in our skunk, yet we can't get a command deck for ships or stations? which atm seems to be what they are intending to do, no idea why you guys stick to it being only in the hanger... we have that right now. moving around a hanger isn't useful.

Also, we have trade-lines, so docking at stations and ships isn't anywhere near as important anymore. So if you're right, they developed a feature, knowing that docking isn't needed anymore and probably wasted a lot of developement time on it. Because they added the option to walk around a hanger, which you probably won't even use because of tradelines... egooft aren't dumb to make a feature that is entirely pointless.

No matter how you look at it, a command deck is the only thing that makes sense. Even in X2 we saw command like decks in some of the cockpit designs infront of us. The command deck at least has some uses, we can see things from a first person prespective and issue orders with things infront of us. Otherwise the game mechanic doesn't really work. As we'll be looking at the sides or behind the ship, in some cases we might not even see anything.

This "deck" idea won't at all be used if we're stuck in a hanger, it's practically un-useful depending on ship designs, logically and mechanic wise doesn't make any sense. Even gameplay wise will be added work. Might as well stick to the old, give commands interface.

The rooms in the skunk however have a purpose, each room will have a NPC which will control one part of the site.

The only way the Deck makes sense, was if it was infront of the ship in all designs, like near the cockpit. So we could see everything infront of us and give new commands as we see fit. Otherwise in the hanger, does it become an RTS where we click and select orders from a 3rd person view?

I don't see that happening, they said they want you to view the space around you, to be able to talk to the pilot or captain of the ship and give more dynamic orders.

Honestly, if egosoft were to really waste their time with such a feature, to only be in the hanger. Then i honestly got to question the rest of the game and probably won't get it. if they spend development time on features no one will ever use. Some may use it for RP purposes, but it will get old too fast to be of any value.

We can land on the haul of the ship, we might as well just do that. So we can get the first person view and issue orders from there. Which then makes me ask, Why the hell make dialog in ships and stations in a somewhat person to person view (SC2 type of way)...

If you look at it just being a hanger, you then see a ton of a design flaws. Which is why i question, what makes you guys honestly believe it is the hanger. It's just not logical.

I believe egosoft have said they want us to feel like we're commanding a ship, who the hell commands a ship from a hanger bay. On the opposite side of the ship, which probably can't even see anything of any use. Commanders tend to be in "War Rooms" not hangers or bays.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Wed, 20. Jun 12, 09:22

the-danzorz wrote: Just that we had rooms now in stations and ships which is the case.
Sorry but no. The player character will be either inside the Albion or on station/ship platforms, which hardly equals being inside them.

From gamersblog interview :
http://www.thegamersblog.com/review/egosoft-interview/
TGB : Are you going to be adding some FPS style game­play to the X uni­verse? Plan­e­tary Inter­ac­tion perhaps?

Bernd Lehahn: No. Not that we didn’t think of it. Mar­ry­ing an X game with some­thing like Mass Effect sure brings some nice ideas, but again: We are a small devel­oper and have to do one step at a time. You WILL how­ever be able to step out of your ship and stand on plat­forms. Talk­ing to NPCs is a big and impor­tant way of con­trol­ling the game and a step to mak­ing things eas­ier (less com­pli­cated menus and sim­pler conversations).
From a Q/A thread :
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 62#3718762
Dietger:
How does the player move on his ship (first person view/third person view)? How many rooms will there be on the ship? Will we be able to leave it, e.g. in the ego perspective over a ramp (i.e. how does the entering of the plattforms work)?

Bernd :
To move you will select a task and move then quickly to the appropriate place. The player will notice everything radically in the first person view (especially in the virtual reality this will be obvious).
Yes you can leave your ship to come in contact with NPCs on plattforms.
Right on commander !

Diggz
x4

Extent of customizability and missiles

Post by Diggz » Thu, 21. Jun 12, 05:49

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a customizable ship in X3 over a plethora of pseudo identical ships like we have in X3, however I'm wondering about the actual extent of the customizable parts. I've read that we will be able to add onto our ship in modules, but can we truly change the role of the ship or just its characteristics? I'd love to be able to swap from an agile fighter-style ship to a larger, M6-esque gunboat whenever it suits my fancy (though the gunboat is my preference normally).

I'm also wondering if the role that was previously held by the M7M is preserved? Will there be dedicated missile modules? I'm a huge fan of missile systems as a weapon system (both aesthetically and in practice) and I'd love for my ship to be decked out in launchers over turrets any day. While the new ship may be too small for sufficient boarding pods to actually board the massive capital ships, I do hope that I can use the modularity of the ship to have at least a nice mix of launchers and turrets.

{Merged with similar topic as we don't really need another almost identical thread. - Nanook}
I have yet to figure out the non-terran equivalent of a Point Singularity Projector...

Potatonaught
x4

Single ship

Post by Potatonaught » Wed, 27. Jun 12, 14:57

Mostly relating to: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306576 (single ship)

Only recently have i found out about the wondrous x2/3 game series and its amazing complexion and fun. After being a long time EVE player 3 year player that has piratically done it all. I Always wanted to find an alternate to EVE, and i had found it. X3: terran conflict being the first step i had taken, it seemed like the perfect alternate and a single player version to EVE. X3 seemed to be the perfect combination of great combat, economy control, large selection of spaceships and what not.

But recently from what i have read about the new upcoming x3: rebirth release, it seems like you will only be limited to one single ship, which does practicably limit the factor of exploration and the sense of amassing wealth because why do i need it? I know you can buy upgrades for said ship and use said money to build stations/ships, and also apparently controlling all said stuff via some goggles.

The experience that seems to be described is more or less related to how silent hunter 5 works, you pretty much control the same ship/sub from start to end with some upgrades in between and pretty basic crew interaction that do help allot but do definitely not influence any sort of achievement as you can always do everything you already have, thus just making it totally linear.

Just delivering some of my thought about the new x3 game coming from a new fan and my thought on previous titles, dont need to be negative or what not, just some feedback.

tl;dr
single ship limiting freedom.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 27. Jun 12, 15:07

There's already a large discussion here on the subject. :)

If you want my personal opinion, however, I don't think it'll change much, and I think the inclusion of the cockpit and crew, etc, will help immersion.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”