Unbiased Poll about The Pride of Albion vs multiple ships - Part 1

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 17:20

I was thinking more of there being more places you could go, or more screens you can open with a command or hotkey later on. (Example only. No point in being able to go to the forward torpedo bay or call up the torpedo console if the Skunk cannot (yet) fire torpedoes since the torpedo module has not yet been added.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 17:32

Well, that was where I was thinking that you should be able to go there from the start, but find out you have currently something useless installed. When you come back to the bridge, Yisha could tell you something like "Oh, that old junk? The last ammo factory for it closed thirty years ago!".

Then, at some point in the plot, you might gain contacts to a manufacturer of modern torpedo systems. For $$$ you can then install a working system.

Of course, as an old sandbox gamer I'd prefer that there was yet another way to do it:
For $$$$$$$$$ (or sufficient materials) you can extend your station with a factory module for torpedo launchers. And with another that makes torpedoes.
That's also why I wrote in another thread that I'd like to see the Skunk using equipment that can be freely traded on the market, rather than some exotic Skunk-only weapons :wink:.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 5. Oct 12, 18:05

@ Alan : I agree with this idea, but it is not the same thing as having a different, revamped interior.
Right on commander !

Mr. Snurb

Post by Mr. Snurb » Sat, 6. Oct 12, 03:19

Id just like the Albion to be dynamic to the point where using it and modifying it is like flying a brand new ship for each upgrade (not an extreme change) to make up for being stuck on it, also that you can add and remove modules so the Skunk can be both a fighter and a freighter whenever you want.

Burnd also said when he answered a question that sequels to X:R would probably feature multiple ships again just as sequels to X:BTF did, so fear not ship collectors.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Sat, 6. Oct 12, 06:57

Mr. Snurb wrote:Id just like the Albion to be dynamic to the point where using it and modifying it is like flying a brand new ship for each upgrade (not an extreme change) to make up for being stuck on it, also that you can add and remove modules so the Skunk can be both a fighter and a freighter whenever you want.
I think you're going to be very disappointed if that's what you're expecting. From the interview at Gamescon, upgrades to the Skunk are linear and are not choices. If you get a new gun...its always there...you can swap to the older one but you don't have a choice in new techs because they are unlocked by doing plot missions.

I strongly suspect that most of them will allow you to progress to the next step in the plot and open up the game universe as you get them. You're not getting a fully customizable ship...most of the customization seems to come in terms of what drones you choose to carry with you.

Also...the Skunk isn't a hauler. And comments from Bernd seem to suggest that there are specialized ship roles now for most tasks. So when you want to haul big cargo...you won't be using the Skunk...you'll be purchasing or building a cargo ship for the job.
Burnd also said when he answered a question that sequels to X:R would probably feature multiple ships again just as sequels to X:BTF did, so fear not ship collectors.
That's wonderful. I get to wait for a game that is already delayed and coming out who-knows-when, to be released, patched multiple times, DLCed, expansioned and then wait all over again for a new game to give me back what I had in X3. The joy is indescribable. :roll:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Bill Bones
x3

Post by Bill Bones » Sat, 6. Oct 12, 22:52

Slashman wrote:
Mr. Snurb wrote:(...)
That's wonderful. I get to wait for a game that is already delayed and coming out who-knows-when, to be released, patched multiple times, DLCed, expansioned and then wait all over again for a new game to give me back what I had in X3. The joy is indescribable. :roll:
I laughed at this...

Seriously, if they wanted to allow the player to fly multiple ships, they would had turned the Skunk into a control module that could be attached to any subcapital ship.

Maybe it wouldn't even be a ship, but some kind of mobilhome-sized "plug" with limited spacefaring ability and which doubled as lifeboat for the command crew.

Instead, Egosoft has gone for the almighty Swiss army knife of space.

bluenog143
x3tc

Post by bluenog143 » Sat, 6. Oct 12, 23:32

Bill Bones wrote: ...Instead, Egosoft has gone for the almighty Swiss army knife of space.
Well, atleast it looks like we'll be able to use machetes for the next game.
But as forX:R, it's supposed to be moddable, so the question now is "How much moddable?" Hopefully we will be able to mod our games to atleast switch into other ships.

Even if we can use VR drones/ VR other ships, we're still in the skunk meaning that if one moment we are VR piloting a capital class ship, steam-rolling over an entire sector, and if suddenly the skunks gets ambushed by a couple of ships in the mean time, then suddenly the game's over.
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 01:35

Well, this IS an interesting topic, and one that I can honestly say I can't bring myself to vote on. Single or multiple?...*sigh*...It all boils down to the game itself. I'd be able to answer this question (better) after playing the initial first release of the game I think. :wink:
Downloadable new 'Content' is one of the thoughts I'm playing around with in my mind at the moment, but there again we can 'own' other ships in the game, and have some choices there gamewise.
I understand (and respect) other players wishes to be able to fly/pilot any ship in the game, but from a personal point of view I have to agree with Bernd, it can be for some players boring to actually control a large ship with a slow speed...I know I do, but in some instances I have to admit I've done it, just from the simple fact that I could. *shrugs*.

DLC... :gruebel:...what happens when the 'Skunk' fails it's M.O.T. sometime after the plot is finished, will I be able to walk into a 'Ship Showroom' and trade it in for a another one with better specs. sometime in the future?
Perhaps even a completely different ship more suited to the tasks I want it to do, in a sand box game?

Okay, cards on the table...as has been said already by someone who knows a helluva lot more than I do about the forthcoming game, "Unfortunately we have to make money", (or words to that effect). That's a fact.
I'd like to be able to play a good space simulation game this year, next year, and the year after, that's a fact also.

Shear Speculation?...I think the game is just about ready, the reason why we're not playing it now is probably due to deciding future content, for the main part, if that's the case then I've got no gripes with that, I'd rather play a good game with good added content that follows the game well into the future. Pilot any ship in the game?...you bet! :thumb_up:
Just give me a good ship to start with, and a brilliant game to go with it.
If this topic is still open after I've played through the 'plot' I'll certainly place my vote (and add further comments :wink: ) :)

Bill Bones wrote:
Slashman wrote:
Mr. Snurb wrote:(...)
I laughed at this...

Seriously, if they wanted to allow the player to fly multiple ships, they would had turned the Skunk into a control module that could be attached to any subcapital ship.

Maybe it wouldn't even be a ship, but some kind of mobilhome-sized "plug" with limited spacefaring ability and which doubled as lifeboat for the command crew.

Instead, Egosoft has gone for the almighty Swiss army knife of space.
So did I :D ....and the 'Swiss army knife' description made me chuckle! :D

Oldman :)

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 06:26

Why can't we have both :( It would be awesome to have a plot driven main-ship that EGOSOFT can have a concise and tight plot based around. But then give the player the previous choice of choosing their own ship and not being committed to the choice afterwards.

Awesome post though Mr. Snurb.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 14:26

bluenog143 wrote:..Even if we can use VR drones/ VR other ships, we're still in the skunk meaning that if one moment we are VR piloting a capital class ship, steam-rolling over an entire sector, and if suddenly the skunks gets ambushed by a couple of ships in the mean time, then suddenly the game's over.
Skunk will automatically revert to 'cloaked mode' when using VR, no direct interaction possible with other ships, other than communication maybe?
You could still select 'auto dock' or still guide your ship, but other than the basics of travel not a lot else would be available.
Perhaps you can only use VR when docked at a station?
Well, something like that anyway, just some thoughts....

Good question you've brought up there bluenog143 :thumb_up:

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 15:19

Not exactly. There is a copilot for a good reason.
From the official ship thread :
While your co-pilot takes over the control of your ship, goggles come down from the ceiling and you dive into the remote control of the drone.
Right on commander !

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 15:24

Geek wrote:Not exactly. There is a copilot for a good reason.
While your co-pilot takes over the control of your ship, goggles come down from the ceiling and you dive into the remote control of the drone.
Ah!..thank's, :thumb_up: I hadn't noticed that :oops:

Sibilantae
x3tc

Post by Sibilantae » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 15:26

Oh gosh, just hope she isn't feeling suicidal at any point... got her to cook dinner one time too many?
(Oh no, you forgot to close the parenthesis! Someone might get in!

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 15:36

I think you feel suicidal if you dare ask her to cook... :roll:
Right on commander !

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 16:03

Sibilantae wrote:
Oh gosh, just hope she isn't feeling suicidal at any point... got her to cook dinner one time too many?
'Yisha'..."Okay, you sort the drones out, I'll fly the ship"
'Player' "No!...YOU sort the drone, I'LL fly the ship!"
'Yisha'..."I'LL FLY THE SHIP!, You're ALWAY'S flying the %^&** ship!"
'Player'..."Look, it's MY game right!?". :D

Edit..
Probe1 wrote:Why can't we have both :( It would be awesome to have a plot driven main-ship that EGOSOFT can have a concise and tight plot based around. But then give the player the previous choice of choosing their own ship and not being committed to the choice afterwards.
I was kinda hinting earlier that maybe one of the first DLC's 'might' be multiple ship choices, as in something like X3TC.

Edit.. 10/10/12.
While we're talking about multiple ships in X Rebirth...(I was going to create a new topic titled "UFO's The Return In X Rebirth", but then I thought perhaps I'd better use this ongoing topic instead to save space, as the topic 'is' talking about various ships in general. :oops:)
Anyhow, the thought crossed my mind that (a) Might it be featured in X Rebirth, and if so will it play some special part this time for a change?
I've just started X AP but as of yet I haven't seen it in the game, and (b) might make a good plot line for an AP downloaded 'extra content' mission perhaps, but intigrating the UFO in a more detailed role/partnership? (unless it's already been done)....well, just some thoughts. :)

Tolmos
x3tc

Can you dock onboard one of your carriers?

Post by Tolmos » Thu, 1. Nov 12, 17:03

I was reading the interview and noticed it said you will NEVER leave your ship- meaning you will always, at most, be a fighter (I'm guessing around the size of an M3? M3+ maybe?).

Now, in the current X series when combat gets heavy, I return my fighter to my carrier which is slightly more safe (considering the circumstances). Without this, life would be rather difficult. So my question is- will I be able to dock to safety on one of my larger ships when the going gets tough? Will I be able to dock on ANY of my ships, for any reason?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 1. Nov 12, 17:08

For your edification, I've merged your question into the appropriate thread that, once browsed, should answer your topic question. Enjoy. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 1. Nov 12, 17:12

@ Tolmos: This looks a lot like the Skunk has just left a carrier ship, so ... maybe.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

StarSword
x3tc

Re: Can you dock onboard one of your carriers?

Post by StarSword » Thu, 1. Nov 12, 18:57

Tolmos wrote:I was reading the interview and noticed it said you will NEVER leave your ship- meaning you will always, at most, be a fighter (I'm guessing around the size of an M3? M3+ maybe?)
More like an M6 from what we've heard.
Now, in the current X series when combat gets heavy, I return my fighter to my carrier which is slightly more safe (considering the circumstances). Without this, life would be rather difficult. So my question is- will I be able to dock to safety on one of my larger ships when the going gets tough? Will I be able to dock on ANY of my ships, for any reason?
I believe they specifically said they're going to rig it so you can dock with a carrier and act like an admiral giving orders to the carrier's captain. You'll never fly the carrier directly with a joystick, however.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Re: Can you dock onboard one of your carriers?

Post by Noimageavaiable » Thu, 1. Nov 12, 21:05

StarSword wrote:I believe they specifically said they're going to rig it so you can dock with a carrier and act like an admiral giving orders to the carrier's captain. You'll never fly the carrier directly with a joystick, however.
They specifically said you're gonna land and watch from the deck. Nothing about giving orders in combat (wouldn't wanna engage the player in boring and complicated gameplay after all).

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”