Rebirth release date. - Part 2

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 11:48

BarrenEarth wrote:I am almost 100% sure there are no DevNet members here involved with testing Rebirth at the moment, I am about 99% sure they do not have alpha builds available yet for that kind of testing.

I am also 100% sure that the making of videos clearly show portions of the game being tested separated from all other portions of the game, which is a nice feature test but is far from any kind of DevNet level testing phase.
And you'd be 100% wrong on pretty much all counts. Our enthusiastic team of DevNet testers (well over 100 of them) have had access to Alpha builds for several months now, and have been providing us with lots of useful feedback.

The making-of videos all show in-game content. Some, showing off a particular asset or feature, may indeed do so in a limited environment in order to best demonstrate what the developer is talking about, but others use the full game environment. All the assets and features shown are available in the full game environment, whether or not that environment was used for presentation purposes. Obviously certain things such as path visualisation are only available to developers and testers, but builds that just have the normal game features are also available and being tested.
Cowski wrote:And I'm guessing that egosoft, to protect their main application, will have to run all fan-made projects through their QA department to make sure it runs well before distributing it. I'm sure they just don't take what is sent to them, slap their name on it & distribute it.
With that being said, focus is taken away from XR. I know how this industry works. When a project is behind schedule, as XR is, they don't redirect resources to something like an older product with new fan based content. That weakens the architecture for the new product. A product that is going to make them money. Not a new, free download for an older game.
I'm afraid you're also wrong, largely. X3AP 3.0 really is fan-made content, and while they had a small amount of support from a couple of our developers here and there, this did not have any significant impact on XR work. We have more than enough DevNet members to test more than one thing at a time, especially since the testing of X3AP 3.0 was not under NDA and was open to literally thousands of people if they wanted to take part.

As for whether there is any benefit in supporting our older products with new, free content, I'm pretty sure a lot of players would disagree with you. From our perspective, of course we want people to keep playing our older games, because when they play our older games they also tend to stick around and buy our new games when they come out. Providing new content is a good way to achieve that.

Moncada
xrvr

Post by Moncada » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 12:28

I am so jealous of the dev net people :) I love watching games evolve when testing ( when I have gotten the privilege to do so ). I hope you are having fun :) * shakes fist *

Cabrelbeuk
x4

Post by Cabrelbeuk » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 12:34

Thanks for misinformation GarrenEarth.
The fact that Egosoft have searched and found a distributor in USA should be a clue that the dev is on the true ending part.
AMD R7 2700X 3.7GHz - GTX 1070 Ti 8Go Asus cerberus - 16Go RAM 3200MHz - Asus Prime X470-Pro - LG 32" 4K 60Hz - SSD Samsung Evo850 512 GB - HDD Toshiba 2 To 7200 Tr/min - Onkyo HTS-7800 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 13:17

Moncada wrote:I am so jealous of the dev net people :) I love watching games evolve when testing ( when I have gotten the privilege to do so ). I hope you are having fun :) * shakes fist *
You appear to be under the impression that becoming a DevNet member is a special thing only available to certain people. This is not the case--you can sign up for level 3 DevNet membership by simply signing up for it in your forum profile. Level 5 DevNet access (which is currently what's needed for X:R testing) can be obtained by filling out an NDA form and sending it off to Egosoft.

However, don't do that if all you want to do is "get the game early"--that's not what DevNet testing is about, and anyone who thinks that way will likely not enjoy the experience much!

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 13:21

Cabrelbeuk wrote:Thanks for misinformation GarrenEarth.
The fact that Egosoft have searched and found a distributor in USA should be a clue that the dev is on the true ending part.
nah it was just a little interrogation trick demonstration from us fans to make the developer reveal something :mrgreen:

Cowski
x4

Post by Cowski » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 13:30

nap_rz wrote:
nah it was just a little interrogation trick demonstration from us fans to make the developer reveal something :mrgreen:
"interrogation" ??? LOL

Even ** I ** give egosoft more credit than that. The developers are not stupid by any stretch of the imagination and some lame "interrogation trick" is going to provoke them to reveal something.

BarrenEarth
x3

Post by BarrenEarth » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 13:48

nap_rz wrote:
I knew eventually some of them would fall for the bait, didn't think it would be Egosoft reps themselves.

There you have it folks, that is more information than they have given up in all the last 200 pages :lol:

You're Welcome

Moncada
xrvr

Post by Moncada » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 13:50

pjknibbs wrote:
Moncada wrote:I am so jealous of the dev net people :) I love watching games evolve when testing ( when I have gotten the privilege to do so ). I hope you are having fun :) * shakes fist *
You appear to be under the impression that becoming a DevNet member is a special thing only available to certain people. This is not the case--you can sign up for level 3 DevNet membership by simply signing up for it in your forum profile. Level 5 DevNet access (which is currently what's needed for X:R testing) can be obtained by filling out an NDA form and sending it off to Egosoft.

However, don't do that if all you want to do is "get the game early"--that's not what DevNet testing is about, and anyone who thinks that way will likely not enjoy the experience much!
I know about the dev net levels :) it is special to test games before release according to me , bug squashing can be very satisfying. I would love to help out but I want to be able to do it properly and the week's are too short too manage that ;) that's why I'm not signed up as a a tester :)

Signing up for testing without knowing what it entails is akin to self immolation. Testing games aren't all laughs. It can be very tough and often frustrating when you have to reproduce bugs that are well.... Slightly random I nature ;)

So I don't recommend that either

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 13:59

BarrenEarth wrote:There you have it folks, that is more information than they have given up in all the last 200 pages.
You can pat yourself on the back if you like, but everything I said had already been stated in previous replies. :)

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by CBJ on Thu, 13. Jun 13, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 14:00

BarrenEarth wrote:I knew eventually some of them would fall for the bait, didn't think it would be Egosoft reps themselves.

There you have it folks, that is more information than they have given up in all the last 200 pages :lol:
So you've fallen for the bait too, without anyone even prompting you. Now that you've declared that they've released more information than we could have possibly expected, they can feel justified to not release any more information for a long time.

Great job, thanks! :wink:

Cabrelbeuk
x4

Post by Cabrelbeuk » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 15:18

ajax34i wrote:
BarrenEarth wrote:I knew eventually some of them would fall for the bait, didn't think it would be Egosoft reps themselves.

So you've fallen for the bait too, without anyone even prompting you. Now that you've declared that they've released more information than we could have possibly expected, they can feel justified to not release any more information for a long time.

I agree. And i didn't learn anything new (except the existence of linolafett
:P ).
AMD R7 2700X 3.7GHz - GTX 1070 Ti 8Go Asus cerberus - 16Go RAM 3200MHz - Asus Prime X470-Pro - LG 32" 4K 60Hz - SSD Samsung Evo850 512 GB - HDD Toshiba 2 To 7200 Tr/min - Onkyo HTS-7800 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 16:41

my existence is acknowledged, yeah step one to the way of ruling the world! :P

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 19:43

*chews popcorn*

Really BE, nice work on calling this dev-posts bombardment all over the thread. But don't get over your head - we've just only get some concentrated burst of Already Known™.

You've got to work really hard to make every single egosoft developer drop their work and start writing digest-alike posts on forums until Bernd himself will not rev- Oh, wait.,,

P.S. Less OT: I don't get it - you've already got your release date. Well, not date exactly, but more like "it's not going to be released in summer". Q4 is Q4. Everyone may relax until autumn.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 20:00

This thread probably serves one good purpose, a little bit of light comedic release for the devs when they've pulled too many hard, strenous all-nighters on some intractable bug. Keep up the good work, BE and others. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Cowski
x4

Post by Cowski » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 20:08

CBJ wrote:As for whether there is any benefit in supporting our older products with new, free content, I'm pretty sure a lot of players would disagree with you. From our perspective, of course we want people to keep playing our older games, because when they play our older games they also tend to stick around and buy our new games when they come out. Providing new content is a good way to achieve that.
You'll get no argument from me on this point, CBJ, because it's spot on. DOOM/QUAKE are perfect examples.
Editors were put out there for those games. This gave control to the fans. It allowed them to create their own levels, sounds, graphics, etc. There were thousands of levels out there for people to play in. There was a plethora of web pages totally dedicated to just things of this sort. But if you went to id's page, and I'm fairly certain of this, there were no downloads for fan made levels because they were not created by id or supported by id. In essence id acknowledged them but did not endorse them because they could not control the quality of the levels being produced. i.e. They did not want their name tarnished with bad levels produced for their game.

With this being said....you have to understand, at least with MY logic, that since egosoft is putting their name on fan-made content, endorsing it, distributing it through their web page and by no uncertain terms, supporting it....they had a hand in making it and pushing it through their QA. Does fan made content fall into the license agreement in the game?

You can't fault me using this type of deduction to arrive at this conclusion.

I may be a jerk on here and you probably hate seeing posts from me...but in this case I'm just trying to plead my case as to why I reached the conclusion that egosoft had a hand in AP v3.x.

:D

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 20:57

Cabrelbeuk wrote:
ajax34i wrote:

I agree. And i didn't learn anything new (except the existence of linolafett
:P ).
I learnt that alpha testing is going on, and baby penguins are ticklish.

Both great news!
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 21:16

Cowski wrote:With this being said....you have to understand, at least with MY logic, that since egosoft is putting their name on fan-made content, endorsing it, distributing it through their web page and by no uncertain terms, supporting it....they had a hand in making it and pushing it through their QA .... I'm just trying to plead my case as to why I reached the conclusion that egosoft had a hand in AP v3.x.
Yes of course we had a hand in it, and of course we wouldn't release fan-made material with our name on it unless we were happy with the quality of it, but our DevNet system allows us to ensure that with only minimal impact on our other development work.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 21:59

So game is in alpha stage now :? :? :? That's all I wanted to know... Ill check back in December or sometime 2014 :roll:
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

avante999

Post by avante999 » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 23:27

whahha Alpha
you are joking right!?

BarrenEarth
x3

Post by BarrenEarth » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 23:49

avante999 wrote:whahha Alpha
you are joking right!?
Now confirmed...

Well PARTS of the game are in Alpha according to two egosoft employee's and two devnet members.

Which means parts might be release candidate level and parts might not even be to alpha yet.

I have done my job, I will see you all in another 6 weeks to mock your faith.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”