If I buy the game on the Steam, can I download it straight away ready for 15th Nov?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Griever78

If I buy the game on the Steam, can I download it straight away ready for 15th Nov?

Post by Griever78 » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:29

Hello there folks.

Think this is my first post, but I've been registered on here for a while now. I have a question regarding X Rebirth on Steam. Basically, I'm a sailor, and there is a very good chance I will be at sea on 15th Nov when X Rebirth is launched in Europe.

Due to the internet on ships being somewhat crap, I was wondering if buying the game on Steam allows me to download the game in advance, and be able to play it once the unlock timer has expired, without requiring a further connection.

The trips I do away are four months long, so I would really like to not have to wait that long before I can play :P

Athelus
x4

Post by Athelus » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:35

No preload yet, thought that would be unusual this far from release.

No word on whether there will be a preload closer to release, if there is I guess you might have a few days, which would work depending on how reliable the connection is- but again, no indication this will happen. And if the internet is so slow/inaccesible that you can't download it over the 4 months you're at sea I don't think even that will help :(

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:40

There will be preload available in November, but you will still need internet connection on 15th. Exe file is usually not included in preload and you will need to activate the game - it shouldn't be more than 50MB though, but it could be more - if the preloaded version was patched just before release.

After that, you should be able to play for months without internet access.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 21:49

I do sympathise with you Griever but I doubt if that the game will be available to download till at least a fortnight before the release date (and that is probably a slim chance).

If you are shipping out in October then the chances of it being available to download before you go are probably zilch. If you are not disembarking till closer to the 15th then you may have a chance but I would not hold my breath.

Your best chance maybe if you can get someone to download the install files at time of release, back them up, and make them available to you or a shipmate at one of your stops (assuming that the ship/boat is not at sea for the full 4 months). You will probably still need internet access to activate the game on your machine at time of install though.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 22:00

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:I do sympathise with you Griever but I doubt if that the game will be available to download till at least a fortnight before the release date (and that is probably a slim chance).

If you are shipping out in October then the chances of it being available to download before you go are probably zilch. If you are not disembarking till closer to the 15th then you may have a chance but I would not hold my breath.

Your best chance maybe if you can get someone to download the install files at time of release, back them up, and make them available to you or a shipmate at one of your stops (assuming that the ship/boat is not at sea for the full 4 months). You will probably still need internet access to activate the game on your machine at time of install though.
I don't know how it works, can you tether your phone while at Sea?
Also I don't know if Steam has fixed the CA expiration that most sailors complained about. I read somewhere that a Steam devs acknowleged that it was a bug, but I don't know whether it is fixed.

For me I wish that Steam provide a HTTP/HTTPS connection (to bring up Steam and update), cuz a game like X does not need game ports to run.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 22:19

VincentTH wrote:I don't know how it works, can you tether your phone while at Sea?
Probably, but what's the phone going to connect to? :P

I'm not sure exactly how ships communicate these days, but I would assume it's mainly still long-wave radio and possibly satellites (though since they tend to be uni-direction, I can imagine that's a problem n a ship). Neither is particularly useful for data (they can be used to transfer data, but generally aren't).
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. Sep 13, 23:11

Rapier wrote:
VincentTH wrote:I don't know how it works, can you tether your phone while at Sea?
Probably, but what's the phone going to connect to? :P

I'm not sure exactly how ships communicate these days, but I would assume it's mainly still long-wave radio and possibly satellites (though since they tend to be uni-direction, I can imagine that's a problem n a ship). Neither is particularly useful for data (they can be used to transfer data, but generally aren't).
Common (Civilian/Military) shipboard communications are typically based on the GMDSS standard which employs VHF/HF frequencies.

Any internet connection is likely to be based on some form of Satellite Phone (thus not likely to be cheap to use), even planes these days have internet and some even have WiFi and GSM cells on-board (available for use except in some airspaces such as the US).
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 00:13

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: some even have WiFi and GSM cells on-board (available for use except in some airspaces such as the US).
We'll get there. We just have to make sure all the right people had a chance to dip their beaks.
Last edited by Shootist on Thu, 19. Sep 13, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 03:41

I feel your pain, im in the navy as well, based out of japan and ill be at sea from oct till december and wont be able to get it until i get back for xmas. Shipboard internet would be unlikely to work for you. Most likely you would have to wait for a return to your home, or possibly wifi if you hit port. A wifi spot at port would take you a long time though to d/l the game.

FritzHugo3
x4

Post by FritzHugo3 » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 08:04

Ahhhm Mods? Here are the German Forum *g*
Ich fordere mehr und vorallem gerechtere Verteilung von Keksen und Süßkram für die "Magischen 20"! Daher wählen Sie jetzt die DPFGKV, die Deutsche Partei für gerechtere Keks - Verteilung!

Rice
x3tc

Post by Rice » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 09:12

i think the the poor overworked Mod tried to move it in the Offtopic section of the English forum.
Let us see when arseneus get up for forum duties or Illuminatus is around.
So he had moved it right but to the wrong destination :D

greeting from the German X:rebirth board !
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Eine der hoffnungsreichsten Lebenslagen ist die, wenn es uns so schlecht geht, dass es uns nicht mehr schlechter gehen kann. [Felix Krull]

bogatzky
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by bogatzky » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 10:03

*thread moved*
Menschen. Das Böse daran ist das Dumme darin!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 11:05

Steam does usually allow you to preload the game in advance, but theres no way of doing this before the game is actually finished and uploaded.

i remember getting The Witcher 2, the game was finished and sent to steam on the day of its release, so little chance to download it before

Griever78

Post by Griever78 » Thu, 19. Sep 13, 17:37

Yeah, thought that might be the case, thanks for the replies folks, will have to keep my fingers crossed it wont be until after 15th :)

November1983
x3

Post by November1983 » Fri, 20. Sep 13, 07:54

I really don't want to mock around. Nothings more far from my intentions....but....could it be that you misplaced this thread into the wrong forum?

Maybe one of the moderators should move it into the X Rebirth section of the english forum. Would fit there much much better :wink:

Edit
Hum...Seems this Thread appears in the German and in the English forum...Strange
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

"The object of war is not to die for his country, but to make the other bastard die for his" Patton

Griever78

Post by Griever78 » Fri, 20. Sep 13, 08:47

I started this thread in the X Rebirth forum, but it got moved by accident to the German forum, and finally ended up here :)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”