Single ship = can't pilot other ships?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 08:33

I applaud your outlook Spero and excellently phrased question (+1 - I would like to know too).

I would also like to add a question of my own that also may or may not have been covered elsewhere.
  1. Is there a limit to the number of modules that can be added to a space city?
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Stellen

Post by Stellen » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 08:39

Shootist wrote:The skunk has been said to be an M6...
The lack of turrets would make it an odd M6 though. Except for the Truelight Seeker, every M6 and M6+ (as well as every M3+) had at least one turret. With just forward firing weapons the Skunk seems more like an M3 (or maybe an M8 if it can use good torpedos) than an M6.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 08:53

Stellen wrote:
The lack of turrets would make it an odd M6 though. Except for the Truelight Seeker, every M6 and M6+ (as well as every M3+) had at least one turret. With just forward firing weapons the Skunk seems more like an M3 (or maybe an M8 if it can use good torpedos) than an M6.
The Skunk in it's X3:AP form did only have a single rear turret. Part of the lore maybe that the rear turret was sacrificed when the drone capability was added.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

CutterJohn1
x3tc

Re: Thank you, Egosoft

Post by CutterJohn1 » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 09:57

Spero wrote:On a side note, and I'm not sure if I've missed it, but why did Egosoft go with the choice for one ship only? I am not criticising whether this is good or bad - a judgement I will reserve for after I've sunk my teeth into Rebirth - but I am sure that there are some definitely interesting reasons behind this paradigm shift.
My reasoned assumptions.

- Cost. Making more ships to that level of detail would be quite pricey.

- Simplifying and balancing new player experience. With only one ship, they can much more easily guide player progression and upgrades, and tailor difficulty to that single ship, resulting in less of the famed frustration new players feel.

- Some desire to make it a special ship in the players eyes, like the Millenium Falcon or the Firefly, etc, and perhaps so they can refer to it directly in the plot dialogue.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 10:46

Shootist wrote:I'm hoping the Skunk will be able, at some point, to manufacturer the drones it uses. It makes sense for the command ship to have functions such as that.
Unlikely in vanilla:-
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=327997 wrote:Question:
How does it work with those drones? Will they be produced on the ship?

Bernd:
Produced? No. You'll have to buy them. There is the possibility to construct them, but not on your ship.

So, we are playing with the idea of supply ships, which would deliver any goods you'd need in combat. Especially ammunition – which means: missiles, mainly, as primary weapons do not require ammunition.
Even though primary weapons are not only laser weapons – laser would be too simple, as they are very different types of primary weapons , none of them needs ammunition. If there are kinetic weapons among them, they will somehow work without requiring ammunition.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 16:08

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: Bernd:
Produced? No. You'll have to buy them. There is the possibility to construct them, but not on your ship.
Ack! Twipt! [ external image ] hacking a furball, sry.

Thanks

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 16:36

on the subject of not being allowed to fly other ships being unrealistic and spoils immersion, I would tend to disagree. I am quite happy having one ship to improve upon, and just because I may own freighters or carriers ect, doesn't mean I may be qualified to fly them. So as far as belief and immersion in the game goes, I would believe that I am not allowed to fly large vessels due to being unqualified to do so, but as I own them, I can give orders for that ship to attack, travel a-b, pick up cargo ect. Also able to land on them or travel with them, watch battles ect, and watch your orders carried out sounds great.
Quite logical in my book, does Richard Branson ever pilot his own aircraft, trains, ocean liners, the new space orbiter. no !! Does he drive his own car, speedboat, yacht, maybe.

billw
xr

Post by billw » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 16:57

I'm pretty sure pirates don't care about qualifications...

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 16:57

Stellen wrote:
I think I remember what Bernd said about turrets but released photos and art work show a turret on the finish Skunk.

As for why there is only one ship. I've only heard one explanation that makes sense to me: Rebirth <=> X:BTF.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 17:34

COBRASTEVE wrote:on the subject of not being allowed to fly other ships being unrealistic and spoils immersion, I would tend to disagree. I am quite happy having one ship to improve upon, and just because I may own freighters or carriers ect, doesn't mean I may be qualified to fly them. So as far as belief and immersion in the game goes, I would believe that I am not allowed to fly large vessels due to being unqualified to do so, but as I own them, I can give orders for that ship to attack, travel a-b, pick up cargo ect. Also able to land on them or travel with them, watch battles ect, and watch your orders carried out sounds great.
Quite logical in my book, does Richard Branson ever pilot his own aircraft, trains, ocean liners, the new space orbiter. no !! Does he drive his own car, speedboat, yacht, maybe.
Are you qualified to fly a space shuttle?

Kruniac

Post by Kruniac » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 17:37

billw wrote:I'm pretty sure pirates don't care about qualifications...
This. If I'm tearing up sectors, being a general psychopathic raider, I do not care about qualifications.

There is no "In game" reasoning to justify only piloting one ship. Every explanation fails.

Ego is making this game for the "casual" crowd. That makes me sick to my stomach. This will end up like X-Com - a great game. A bad X game. I'm still TRYING to remain optimistic, but the more I think about the mindset of the dev team behind X:R, the more anxiety I get.

Anyway. Still holding on to the hope of modding. We can make all of the M class ships with mod tools, and do a hacky teleport to ship thing in order to pilot them.

Now we just have to fix the trading system, and we'll have X-4 like we SHOULD be getting anyway.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 18:53

DaMuncha wrote:
COBRASTEVE wrote:on the subject of not being allowed to fly other ships being unrealistic and spoils immersion, I would tend to disagree. I am quite happy having one ship to improve upon, and just because I may own freighters or carriers ect, doesn't mean I may be qualified to fly them. So as far as belief and immersion in the game goes, I would believe that I am not allowed to fly large vessels due to being unqualified to do so, but as I own them, I can give orders for that ship to attack, travel a-b, pick up cargo ect. Also able to land on them or travel with them, watch battles ect, and watch your orders carried out sounds great.
Are you qualified to fly a space shuttle?
in game I will be obviously be qualified to fly the skunk. do for me.

Danny200
xr

Customise The Ships Look....

Post by Danny200 » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 20:46

Sooo i love the fact we get only one ship makes it so much better.... but i was thinking... wouldnt it be great if we could add like paintjobs to the Ship?

I know this has been said lots of times but hear me out.... instead of useing a set of looks/paints/skins that egosoft provide....

how about makeing your own logo your own skin?

For example egosoft can have a website or maybe extend on their already one and have a website (or tab under the game rebirth) called Rebirth Paint...

it will be a huge gallery/index on diffrent user submitted and user created paintjobs for your ship that you can then download and add to your ship or upload your created one for others to see vote and use in their game...

i have no clue how it would work maybe egosoft could teach us or something or maybe they could do it for us like maybe pay $10 a year for membership to this site in return they will then modify any textures or w.e you upload so it can be used in the game... i dont know lol

But if any of you have ever played the Sims 3? well im thinking of the sims 3 exchange... but instead be like Rebirth Exchange

Anyways thanks for reading feel free to post your own ideas :P

CutterJohn1
x3tc

Post by CutterJohn1 » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:00

You can't know that having one ship makes it so much better. Please wait and play the game before judging it.

Sorry.. Couldn't resist.

Frankly, I can't see much point to customizing the ships look. We have no functional way to actually see it, with no 3rd person view or anything. Only way to really do that is scoot a drone out and inspect the ship. Considering that, it seems fairly frivolous.
Last edited by CutterJohn1 on Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:08

Merged with the Single Ship thread.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Danny200
xr

Post by Danny200 » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:33

i made a very quick example of what i was talking about with the Rebirth Exchange website in paint.. i know it looks bad and rough but its an example lol

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l50 ... f7b2b1.jpg

as you can see users can submit designs for others to use and download to further upgrade and change the looks and style of their ship for everyone to enjoy :)

{Oversize image replaced by link. Please review the image posting rules in the welcome thread above. - Nanook}

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:35

CutterJohn1 wrote:Frankly, I can't see much point to customizing the ships look. We have no functional way to actually see it, with no 3rd person view or anything. Only way to really do that is scoot a drone out and inspect the ship. Considering that, it seems fairly frivolous.
you land in docks and there could be mirrors :) and drones.. you will see the ship everytime you launch one in manual mode. It matters :)
Danny200 wrote:i made a very quick example of what i was talking about with the Rebirth Exchange website in paint..
ok, what's wrong with Steam Workshop? :) It already has discussion, rating, categories, collections... automatic updates...

Danny200
xr

Post by Danny200 » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:38

yeah but what about customiseing the sounds and animations of your ships too ?

istead of a green lazor that you fire make it a red one? dont like the sound your ships engines make? make your own? dont like your crew? re skin them? :P in my link i also added a skin for your weapons systems.... who knows what you could do with them lol

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:45

that's what workshop is for. As long as game allows changing such things in mods and supports multiple mods side by side (X3 didn't, Rebirth is confirmed to address that) it can handle it

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 8. Oct 13, 21:50

Rebirth core gameplay is about Fight, Trade, Think and Build. To put it in other way "The games features free roaming gameplay with trading, combat, empire building, and missions"

How they get affected by the one ship decision?

- The less affected by that is Build, a fairly simple approach before with almost no interaction from the player. Reworked for Rebirth, with blue prints, resources and some kind of basic design needed to build them. You may, even be able to walk inside your own stations and people call you Boss.

- Trade is another one that doesn't get massively affected by the single ship decision. A whole new two tier approach in Rebirth, it still allows you to play Space Trucker with item trading, getting personal, as you have to get down into the Strip Club and find a good deal. Big trading is the same as the CAG and such, but you do the decisions and they do the flying, it lets you get involved with as many ships as you want.

- Missions, here it looks like we suffer more the loss of multiple ships, different missions required different ships. Rebirth has a one ship for all missions, but with walking around stations and Drones, missions can be a lot more varied than before, new elements like scanning and hacking are welcome additions and fit to the space theme too.

- Fight, this one is sadly the one that really comes worst, with the single ship choice. The whole scaling of difficulty made it brilliant to get new and more powerful ships. While for Trade you just want a compromise between maximum speed and cargo capacity, Fight makes the choice really subjective and very personal to the player. While combat looks good, and pilotable Drones add a new layer tactically, with no RTS controls for your fleet, it lacks that big change of mechanics like Trade, Build and Missions, that will mitigate the loss.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”