Steam Pre-load has just started.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Delta5.1

Post by Delta5.1 » Fri, 8. Nov 13, 23:03

12GB? Hah! Sims 3 piss 20GB in the morning.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $497.76
  • Games owned: 32
  • Games not played: 6
  • Percentage: 19%
  • Hours spent: 1,206.7h

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 8. Nov 13, 23:03

Legionnaire wrote:the Installation is 1 DVD however once unencrypted, uncompressed and Installed it's quite possible the install size will be 12GB.
You are almost certainly right there, plus you have to allow for game saves and any temporary files that may be generated on the fly.

XML text tends to compress extremely well in my experience (sometimes to as little as 10% of the uncompressed size).
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

sMull
x4

Post by sMull » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 00:12

Legionnaire wrote:And done. 4.4 Gb in under 6 minutes, i love my 120mb/s connection. however obviously its encrypted, and i suspect the exe file and possibly some other important stuff will be missing, so now the wait till next friday will be even harder to bear lol.

Legionnaire
What the...where do you live and how do you have this kind of speed?

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 00:14

Dank7430 wrote:The achievement goals seem rather bland and boring. Hope this is not a sign of how the game will be like.
Since when does achievements have anything what so ever to do with wether a game has deep long term gameplay or not?
Even in a game like Europa Universalis IV the achievements are the usual pointless drivel (as the entire achievements system itself always is) such as "Conquer a province".

I must say this seems interesting.
I'll Take That
Reacquire your ships and crews.

Indicates that we'll either "lose" our stuff at some point in the story? Perhaps like a traditional "go to jail" event? Or maybe it's just something early like "oh no you start in a jail, do the tutorial and break out to find your ship again" ?
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 00:22

sMull wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:And done. 4.4 Gb in under 6 minutes, i love my 120mb/s connection. however obviously its encrypted, and i suspect the exe file and possibly some other important stuff will be missing, so now the wait till next friday will be even harder to bear lol.

Legionnaire
What the...where do you live and how do you have this kind of speed?
I live in the UK and I'm on Virgin Media Cable. When i moved to the area it was 20mb/s (which was part of the reason i moved where i did) about 18 months later they upped it to 50mb/s and about 2 years later it was upped again to 100mb/s at the same price as the 50mb/s then they boosted me to 120mb/s. The issue is that most websites etc cannot pump info out at the speed i can take it, but in real world figures, I get on average between 14 and 15MB/s download from steam.

Legionnaire
Mobo MSI Z270 Gaming M3 CPU i5 7600K @4.2
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

Texhnolyzed
x3tc

Post by Texhnolyzed » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 00:24

Curious how this game is only 4.4 GB, when a game like Call of Duty: Ghosts is supposed to be 50 GB...

Saquavin
xr

Post by Saquavin » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 00:25

sMull wrote: What the...where do you live and how do you have this kind of speed?
In big cities in France, you can have optical fiber for 30-35 EUR months which delivers, depending on your provider 100mb/s, 200mb/s, 300mb/s or even 1gb/s. Unlimited traffic.

Legionnaire wrote: I live in the UK and I'm on Virgin Media Cable. When i moved to the area it was 20mb/s (which was part of the reason i moved where i did) about 18 months later they upped it to 50mb/s and about 2 years later it was upped again to 100mb/s at the same price as the 50mb/s then they boosted me to 120mb/s. The issue is that most websites etc cannot pump info out at the speed i can take it, but in real world figures, I get on average between 14 and 15MB/s download from steam.
You're lucky ;)
Unfortunately I'm still ADSL-based, with luck and weird we know :
I was at 4mb/s in Big City in France (far from central) and now in my tiny tiny village, i'm at... 5mb/s ! (a bit less far from central)
Still growing ! :roll:

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 00:36

It's a shame you don't get additional content when you get the preload. Being able to read the manual, listen to the soundtrack, etc. for a week would get me super-hyped. :)
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Micknator
xr

Post by Micknator » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 00:45

Texhnolyzed wrote:Curious how this game is only 4.4 GB, when a game like Call of Duty: Ghosts is supposed to be 50 GB...
Amount of setpieces (more textures/meshes in 1 area), multiplayer crap and cutscenes.

Sahvion
x3tc

Post by Sahvion » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 01:36

Some preloads give you all of the files, but that they are encrypted. Others, in my experience anyway, give you most of the files but omits some of them so that you can't play the game; this is mainly critical files that are needed BY the game to run (or even primary engine files to)

Although I am surprised that this game is only 4.4 Gbs, I'm hoping this is due to serious optimizations and compression.

Dave500
x3tc

Pre-loading

Post by Dave500 » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 01:56

Rebirth is now pre-loading on Steam (for me anywhos)!! :D :D :D
"Indeed."

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 02:08

serious optimizations
Well Egosoft sure as hell didn't sit around for seven years eating pizza!
Micknator wrote:
Texhnolyzed wrote:Curious how this game is only 4.4 GB, when a game like Call of Duty: Ghosts is supposed to be 50 GB...
Amount of setpieces (more textures/meshes in 1 area), multiplayer crap and cutscenes.
And not a single byte of that is devoted to making the game worthwhile or interesting story telling. I bet a whole gig of that game is devoted to knife-throwing physics

PDouma39
xr

Thanx for pre-loading the files so far.

Post by PDouma39 » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 02:22

Thanx for pre-loading the files so far, looking forward for seeing the game in full the up-coming week, great work EGO-soft, looking forward to playing the game.
Awareness in life is rewarded by many

GebürtigerTerraner
xr

Post by GebürtigerTerraner » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 02:31

Freya Nocturne wrote:
serious optimizations
Well Egosoft sure as hell didn't sit around for seven years eating pizza!
Micknator wrote:
And not a single byte of that is devoted to making the game worthwhile or interesting story telling. I bet a whole gig of that game is devoted to knife-throwing physics
Or CoD is just horribly optimized for the PC,while Rebirth is optimized good.
It means nothing,its lika schamalamadingdong or give peace a chance!

Nosfuratu79
x3ap

Post by Nosfuratu79 » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 03:42

Delta5.1 wrote:12GB? Hah! Sims 3 piss 20GB in the morning.
omg.............. wtf lol
** Amd Fx-9590 5.0 Ghz ** FX990 Board ** 32 Gig Ram ** 240 SSD ** ATI 4 x 6990s 4GB each ** 5 monitors Eyefinity, and a cup holder **

smithy87
x3tc

Post by smithy87 » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 04:10

Ok, serious question for those who have downloaded the game, where do the files save to in the Steam folder? My sister is downloading the game for me and I am planning on picking up the files on Wednesday, but they don't appear to have downloaded into the Steam>SteamApps>Common folder. Any help from the wise and glorious members of this forum will be greatly appreciated! There could even be cake!

Cheers,

Smithy
In land of the pigs, the butcher is king!

PlasticineDog
x4

Post by PlasticineDog » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 04:14

I believe \Steam\depotcache is where the XR files are kept.

And I have a question of my own. My game finished preloading hours ago, but every now and then the bottom of my steam window says (0 out of 1 downloads completed) and XR will say "download queued" for just a moment, then it goes back to saying Preload Complete. Is there a reason for this?

Synopis
x4

Post by Synopis » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 04:14

smithy87 wrote:Ok, serious question for those who have downloaded the game, where do the files save to in the Steam folder? My sister is downloading the game for me and I am planning on picking up the files on Wednesday, but they don't appear to have downloaded into the Steam>SteamApps>Common folder. Any help from the wise and glorious members of this forum will be greatly appreciated! There could even be cake!

Cheers,

Smithy
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\depotcache

smithy87
x3tc

Post by smithy87 » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 04:36

Synopis wrote:
smithy87 wrote:Ok, serious question for those who have downloaded the game, where do the files save to in the Steam folder? My sister is downloading the game for me and I am planning on picking up the files on Wednesday, but they don't appear to have downloaded into the Steam>SteamApps>Common folder. Any help from the wise and glorious members of this forum will be greatly appreciated! There could even be cake!

Cheers,

Smithy
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\depotcache
Awesome, all the files in depotcache? because i note they are all individual files not in a folder! Anyway, thanks very much for the quick reply :D

Cheers,

Smithy
In land of the pigs, the butcher is king!

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 9. Nov 13, 05:07

Eh... this gotta be the earliest Steam Pre-load that I know off. All of my earlier preload are usually within 3 days of release, not a full week ahead like this.

Any chance the game are being released early? :D

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”