43%
No
25%

Total votes: 176

Patholos
x4

[Poll] Can modders "save" X:Rebirth?

Post by Patholos » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:05

As the thread states, can the modding community save X:Rebirth from a total disaster?

Already, there's a mod which allows you to never need to dock at stations again, taking out one of the core "mechanics" of the game how the devs envisioned.

If modders get a laissez faire on adjusting the game, can X:Rebirth rise up to the challenge and become the game we all wanted it to be?

And most important, how far will the mods diverge from Egosofts vision of a Rebirth?
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Divinity1990
x3tc

Post by Divinity1990 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:11

No. The game needs years of updates and mods to come anywhere close to X3TC/AP and by then space sim fans will be playing Elite/Star Citizen/Limit Theory. I wouldn't be surprised if Egosoft ends up filing for bankruptcy due to this fiasco because they will sure as hell not sell another space sim to anyone.

spacecoyote99
x4

Re: [Poll] Can modders "save" X:Rebirth?

Post by spacecoyote99 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:13

Patholos wrote:If modders get a laissez faire on adjusting the game, can X:Rebirth rise up to the challenge and become the game we all wanted it to be?
The problem with that question is, there is no "game that we all wanted it to be." People use that term to mean "the game that *I* wanted it to be." Which is not the same thing.

Captain Lemmiwinks
x3ap

Post by Captain Lemmiwinks » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:15

whats needs fixing is untouchable by modders,
so no,modders cant save it.

they may however be able to fix a lot of the laziness and consolised dross .

question is...will they want to ?

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:25

of course they will. they have already started.

MeltingPointSP
x3ap

Post by MeltingPointSP » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:32

I know a lot of people are hoping mods will save this game, most have no idea just how screwed up modding in X:R really is. It is NOTHING like any other game.

In programming, every character you type is a potential bug. Most languages attempt to limit this with short syntax. This is not the case with X:R, which uses XML, not as a data storage/transfer language as it was intended, but as a scripting language, for which it was never intended.

When I think of the convoluted mess that modders will have to go through (and some very popular modders have already said 'screw that'), I shudder to imagine the time scale of mods like XRM. It truly is the case of using 20 lines of code where 1 line would do in any other language.

But more to the point, modding is only ever as good as the developers that implement the scripting engine. I don't know about you, but do really believe that the scripting engine implemented by ego is any better then their horrid implementation of their game?

Scripting will not save this game; fix a few cosmetic/script bugs sure; come anywhere near the size and scale of previous X mods - not a chance in hell.

Alysin
x4

Post by Alysin » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:36

The question isn't can, it's should. And that's why my answer was 'no'.

Benrd in his post has exclaimed what a huge success this game is, and not even given the plyers who bought the game in hopes it would be something bigger, a breath of wind, but instead entirely dismissed a large part of the community to zelously protect Rebirth in it's current design.

Egosoft does not after his post deserve the Modding communitys' attention.
He turned back on the fans to make nice in a boardroom. I think that's enough to dismiss modding community in large part too.
Last edited by Alysin on Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:37

I think the poll is seriously biased because it has no option for "I like the general direction of X:R but modders can still improve it".

Poll results are always what you want them to be... if you don't allow uncomfortable answers. =)
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

omfgjohnnyisback

Post by omfgjohnnyisback » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:42

No, because it takes only 5 minutes of looking through game code in asset archives to understand that everything you hate so much is actually hard-coded. :idea:

Alysin
x4

Post by Alysin » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:43

Gazz wrote:I think the poll is seriously biased because it has no option for "I like the general direction of X:R but modders can still improve it".

Poll results are always what you want them to be... if you don't allow uncomfortable answers. =)
You'll have to explain why 'I like the general' part of this is at all nessessary when the question is not mentioning a I don't like the game. Are you on paid time or just collecting points right now?
The questrion is obviously aimed at those who feel the game falls to short, not to the corporate dogs that defend it, nor the ones who genuinely like it.. Moderator or not, your input is beyond me entirely if not to try safe face in a crude fashion.

All you'd have to say is 'It don't need saving, it's good and can be improved' but it's not needed as an option in the poll, it's not even directed at the ones who think it's good or decent.

Furthermose the question is stated in a way that us non modders are speak out of our own belif of how the game is and how we've experienced it playing it. But to accurately answer this question, you'd need Modders and Devs making the answers as to get qualified ones that are based on the actual possibility to mod this game back into a X Universe kind of fashion. So ya.. You are biased, not the poll.
Last edited by Alysin on Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:54, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Lemmiwinks
x3ap

Post by Captain Lemmiwinks » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:46

Gazz wrote:I think the poll is seriously biased because it has no option for "I like the general direction of X:R but modders can still improve it".

true..

other options to add...

SHOULD modders try and fix it

or

should modders get paid to fix it

or

WHY should modders fix it

gotta love those uncomfortable bits :lol:

Cakefish

Post by Cakefish » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:50

Modders are like wizards. They can do anything.

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:51

All polls are biased as they are born from opinions.
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Ambushclose
xr

Why ask Modders to save this?

Post by Ambushclose » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:58

Well after this unmitigated disaster of a launch I have noticed there is still this mantra that modders will pull this "game" out of the mud. Just an idea, feel free to give feedback...If the Modding community has to constantly make Egosoft's games enjoyable, why don't they just collaborate on a ground up indie project and let the community support it?

omfgjohnnyisback

Post by omfgjohnnyisback » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 00:01

Divinity1990
x3tc

Post by Divinity1990 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 00:02

Modders can't save Rebirth and neither can Egosoft. Most of the player base will have left the game in a month.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 00:10

If modders could save the game, I'd call that after this unsatisfying release and making rather big money, it'd be appropriate that the modders would get an adequate compensation for their efforts (beyond a "free" game copy that they partly created anyways).

In my book that's the least to expect after this clearly intentional release, afterall it can't be that modders do the fixings while Egosoft gets the bucks. So, I'd hope that the modders keep onto their stuff for now and only provide it to the community for now, else Egosoft wouldn't feel the need to change their approach.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 00:10

That's what they said on the Creative Assembly Forum, yet they're still there, modding Rome 2 and all previous versions, despite the mess Rome 2 is.
I'm going to eventually buy Rome 2, when it's fixed most of the s***** bugs that ruin the enjoyment of what I will know will be a great game when it's properly polished off.
Egosoft are not in the habit of leaving a game falling apart, think like a business man here, especially that this is a trade simulator.. bad product creates a bad reputation = loss of customers and profittssss.

I've never played a PC Game on release that wasn't a bugged mess.
It's the reality you need to grasp, stop moaning and wait for the patches to come out.
Develop some patience, I know, outlandish concept, but it really does work people. :roll:
Last edited by spankahontis on Mon, 18. Nov 13, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 00:13

I don't know if they can save it or not. What I wonder more is if they will even try.

The level of modding it's going to take to fix mess this will be on the order of hundreds of hours, but who is going to want to put that amount of time and effort into something no one is playing anymore or that they themselves don't even like?

Modders need to start with something good that inspires them to make it better, in this case that just isn't there.

TargetLost
x3tc

Post by TargetLost » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 00:16

Captain Lemmiwinks wrote:whats needs fixing is untouchable by modders,
so no,modders cant save it.

they may however be able to fix a lot of the laziness and consolised dross .

question is...will they want to ?

For me it's even the question.. is it worth to?

Egosoft went so far off with this.. dumped everything that made their X-Serie the X Serie we loved that the modders in a way almost have to write a new game out of this game.

I think that transfomation shouldn't be done by modders but by egosoft
or in a teamed up work ..egosoft and mooders

First step hoever would be to confess that it was no success which they refuse to do.

Second would be to start LISTENING to the community/modders how to change it because obvious they don't know what the real values of their X-Serie was else the hadn't dumped everything.

Third is to dump their console port idea completly and convert it into a true PC game...with the correct control and graphic. ( It's anyway too late for a console with the destroyed reputation on steam. You only have one chance there and if you fail you failed your future.)

I played it today.
After a very big dissapointment yesterday I found a bit time and focused just on one little thing.. collecting space junk. As boring as that sounds..
it was actually the best half hour in the game so far..I simple relaxed and enjoyed the awesome space view and collected my credits.

And this is what still let me think it's not that bad...with this outside graphics...(inside and NPC is another topic)..I can enjoy it. If you play it right you can too..

..and then I think about everything thats missing now to be an X game
:cry:

and the last point..even if egosoft listens and change the game and work with modders...

Isn't it already too late for egosoft? Will they be able to survive?

With will and maybe help they might be abel to transform this into a X game and they might even create a new game after...but who is there to buy it then? Their reputation is destroyed..fair or not ..is not the point..it happened. I think they have no idea how significant this steam Release was for their future.

True the ppl bought the game in mass but that was before the release day. Egosoft made the money..but that mass is in rage now ..and with this Egosofts chance to sell anything in the future. And here we are back to our step point 1.

I don't really know where this all leads now.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”