Post by perry_106 » Tue, 3. Dec 13, 22:11

How could it be any worse??
laminblake wrote:4.3
Better than i thought it would get

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/02/x-rebirth-review

Tooonz

Re: IGN Review

Post by Tooonz » Tue, 3. Dec 13, 22:13

perry_106 wrote:How could it be any worse??

Well, they could have given it a 4.2 :lol:

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 3. Dec 13, 22:13

By being 4.2..?

*fetches coat*

*edit* ninjad by tooonz! :shock:
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

laminblake

Post by laminblake » Tue, 3. Dec 13, 22:16

See below
http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/01/01/ ... -nagano-98

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Tue, 3. Dec 13, 22:27

I don't think the score is that far off for the current state, just that over the years scores for games have got way too ridiculously high for what they actually are.

The image of Bernd playing on a bootcamped mac probably explains why the game is so stable for me...

dubnium
x3tc

Post by dubnium » Tue, 3. Dec 13, 22:30

Tooonz wrote:

Well, they could have given it a 4.2 :lol:
i think perry meant that while the score is among the highest the game got from professional reviewers, the actual review is devastating.
thedesertwolf wrote:On the Twelfth patch of X-mass Egosoft gave to me Twelve broken promises, Eleven layers of menus, 10 bad design decisions, nine lines of terrible dialogue, Eight non-functional capitals, seven squatting grandmas, six strange memory leaks, A promised Targeting feature still in development, four misconstrued UI decisions, three unstable stations, two attempts to fix trading and a broken game in a pear tree.

shireknight
x3tc

Post by shireknight » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 05:07

That reviewer says nothing good about the game at all yet stills rates it at 4.3 -I reckon Egosoft broke out the champagne when they read this one, it's one of the best scores they've got yet -congrats Egoteam and of course Koch :)

I'm still not buying it yet though :P
My (new) PC:-

Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor (3.4 GHz, 8 MB cache)
Microsoft Windows 10
16 GB DDR3 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 07:57

Oh boy. oh boy oh boy. nothing like an external/independant game review to tell it like it is ...

I try to stay positive but this is one game by Ego I can't bring myself to defend in its current state ... or maybe ever.

I'll never be able to recommend this game to anyone at this rate ... embarrassed ...

But Hey! there are still the X TRILOGY Universe Games! :)

Oh, I forgot :( they have all been trashed by Bernd himself. According to him they are all worse than XRebirth, which is so much more EXCITING.

pewpewpew bzzzzzt boom pewpew KABOOM crash oops...

I guess now I'll have to wait and see what happens with Elite Dangerous or whatever... I'm now forming the impression that it will be out before this work ever gets corrected.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Hornet108
x4

Post by Hornet108 » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 08:01

Why is this moved to off topic? Seems pretty relevant to x rebirth to me?

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 08:05

^ T.Hawk says: damn that unfocused jump drive has been on the blink ever since the XRebirth incident! We are ending up in these strange unknown destinations!

strange and mysterious indeed...
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 08:54

I have no idea why this is here, I'm going to move it back now. Note that the *last* two threads on this subject have been locked due to people's inability to not be rude or offensive, so let's hope third time is the charm.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 09:25

^ T.Hawk says; Wheeeee! hey mom, look at me! I'm bouncing around all over the place :P Back in XRebirth forum.

Just looked at that IGN link again and noticed it's dated 2 days ago, so I must have missed the first topics on it.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 10:06

If only IGN would apply such vigour in their reviews to larger companies

Plam

Post by Plam » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 10:59

The exposing is totally and I do not understand how there can be people that they like this state of the game now? Need only see what distance the ship traveled (50-150-300-400 or 1000 KM in space!!) and what is its speed (180-240 m/s - max 864 km/h) - a great tragedy in 2950! :evil:
How much time he will fly from the Earth to the Moon with 864 km/h - 18-19 days?!!! :lol:
And this is only a small part (distance and speed in space) of all bull**** in this game.

Excuse me for my English, I speak very well Bulgarian. :)
Show me your wares, please? :D

kutchulu
x4

Post by kutchulu » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:06

BigBANGtheory wrote:If only IGN would apply such vigour in their reviews to larger companies
Who pays the band decides the music. Got me?^^

kutchulu
x4

Post by kutchulu » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:14

kutchulu wrote:
BigBANGtheory wrote:If only IGN would apply such vigour in their reviews to larger companies
Who pays the band decides the music. Got me?^^

Edit: As example check the SimCity 5 test. Quote:
SimCity is buggy but beautiful, frustrating but rewarding, and strangely at odds with itself – but there's nothing else like it.

+Beautiful art and music
+Incredibly complex simulation
+Great UI
– Extremely buggy
– Doesn’t explain itself well

Sounds like the X:R review except the UI :wink: , but this one got a 7/10 as good.

Oh or look at the BF4 review. 8.5 Great

Battlefield 4’s devastating destruction is an interesting, imperfect addition to its excellent multiplayer. RT
MITCH DYER 28 OCT 2013
+Incredible map design
+Dynamic environments
+Rewarding Commander Mode
– Mode/map mismatches
– Mediocre single-player

User comment quotes:
"it's broken on PC and consoles. This has nothing to do with PSN. It has to do with EA pushing shit out of their assholes and giving it to us for $60. This game was unfinished. They still have the nerve to offer us premium for $50. Why in the blue hell would I spend $50 on that when I can't even play the damn game??

or

"When I picked up my preordered PS4 early Friday morning, I was so excited to play the copy of BF4 that had been sitting on my coffee table all week. This weekend was such an exhausting letdown. I sure hope more updates for both BF4 and PS4 are just around the corner."

Everyday I wake up, and I gain a little bit of hope that maybe today, BF4 won't freeze on me. But I always end up in disappointment, because it freezes on me constantly."

Sorry for the big post but this hypocrisy of some online publication annoys me. They showed you the vids and never seem to ask the developer anything, otherwise they would have known it before. Now they are showing you the vids of Elite and Star Citizen pointing out that this will be better. Do you believe them anymore?
Last edited by kutchulu on Wed, 4. Dec 13, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

DaddyMonster

Post by DaddyMonster » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:32

@kutchulu. Interesting point. I think what's got the reviewers' goat is being unable to access core game play features without falling into a mire of bugs and UI confusion.

Before you would control things from the ship, and now you control things at point (this is unintuitive to say the least) and I think Ego did a very bad job explaining this making reviews conclude that it's just not there (not a totally unfair conclusion given that in 1.0 they didn't work). They fell on the wrong side of forgiveable with regard to bugs and core features just not working. If 1.18 had been the release we probably would have seen less shocking scores but it's the UI which was the key mistake imo.

Scrappy Coco
x3tc

Post by Scrappy Coco » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:48

You play an everyman, Ren Otani, who stumbles across a super-ship from the last war and gets it up and running. Then he meets Yisha, a terribly voice-acted copilot who gets him involved in a resistance movement against an evil mining corporation and… look, you fly around space looking at things and talking to people, okay? There's a quest chain that basically culminates with you editing the mining corporation’s WIkipedia page. It's a dragged-out tutorial with awful voice acting.
sad but true...

BTW - I remeber a threat here where somebody got hushed using the word: St...born .... Tasteless but even gametesters use it...
I didn´t use it, please mods let me live , please don´t ban me ...

Cheers SC !

kutchulu
x4

Post by kutchulu » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 13:09

DaddyMonster wrote:@kutchulu. Interesting point. I think what's got the reviewers' goat is being unable to access core game play features without falling into a mire of bugs and UI confusion.
This and not knowing older titles from ES.
DaddyMonster wrote: Before you would control things from the ship, and now you control things at point (this is unintuitive to say the least) and I think Ego did a very bad job explaining this making reviews conclude that it's just not there (not a totally unfair conclusion given that in 1.0 they didn't work). They fell on the wrong side of forgiveable with regard to bugs and core features just not working. If 1.18 had been the release we probably would have seen less shocking scores but it's the UI which was the key mistake imo.
Yes it was a poor decision especially taking in account the shitstorm the STEAM only release started. But I think they've got no other choice. Why should they otherwise take the shitstorm full. Just for money? I don't believe that. And I think they also got a muzzle from the publisher, because warning the costumers hurts their income.
On the other hand there was a statement that the beta testers had a different copy of the game with the possibility to speed up time. I have no idea what happens before release with this version. But if you ever worked in an development environment you know that strange things can happen there. We worked with a company which uses Visual Source Safe and they sometimes get very mixed results for new versions. So you know if things can go wrong they do.^^

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”