IGN Review

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kutchulu
x4

Post by kutchulu » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:06

BigBANGtheory wrote:If only IGN would apply such vigour in their reviews to larger companies
Who pays the band decides the music. Got me?^^

kutchulu
x4

Post by kutchulu » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:14

kutchulu wrote:
BigBANGtheory wrote:If only IGN would apply such vigour in their reviews to larger companies
Who pays the band decides the music. Got me?^^

Edit: As example check the SimCity 5 test. Quote:
SimCity is buggy but beautiful, frustrating but rewarding, and strangely at odds with itself – but there's nothing else like it.

+Beautiful art and music
+Incredibly complex simulation
+Great UI
– Extremely buggy
– Doesn’t explain itself well

Sounds like the X:R review except the UI :wink: , but this one got a 7/10 as good.

Oh or look at the BF4 review. 8.5 Great

Battlefield 4’s devastating destruction is an interesting, imperfect addition to its excellent multiplayer. RT
MITCH DYER 28 OCT 2013
+Incredible map design
+Dynamic environments
+Rewarding Commander Mode
– Mode/map mismatches
– Mediocre single-player

User comment quotes:
"it's broken on PC and consoles. This has nothing to do with PSN. It has to do with EA pushing shit out of their assholes and giving it to us for $60. This game was unfinished. They still have the nerve to offer us premium for $50. Why in the blue hell would I spend $50 on that when I can't even play the damn game??

or

"When I picked up my preordered PS4 early Friday morning, I was so excited to play the copy of BF4 that had been sitting on my coffee table all week. This weekend was such an exhausting letdown. I sure hope more updates for both BF4 and PS4 are just around the corner."

Everyday I wake up, and I gain a little bit of hope that maybe today, BF4 won't freeze on me. But I always end up in disappointment, because it freezes on me constantly."

Sorry for the big post but this hypocrisy of some online publication annoys me. They showed you the vids and never seem to ask the developer anything, otherwise they would have known it before. Now they are showing you the vids of Elite and Star Citizen pointing out that this will be better. Do you believe them anymore?
Last edited by kutchulu on Wed, 4. Dec 13, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

DaddyMonster

Post by DaddyMonster » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:32

@kutchulu. Interesting point. I think what's got the reviewers' goat is being unable to access core game play features without falling into a mire of bugs and UI confusion.

Before you would control things from the ship, and now you control things at point (this is unintuitive to say the least) and I think Ego did a very bad job explaining this making reviews conclude that it's just not there (not a totally unfair conclusion given that in 1.0 they didn't work). They fell on the wrong side of forgiveable with regard to bugs and core features just not working. If 1.18 had been the release we probably would have seen less shocking scores but it's the UI which was the key mistake imo.

Scrappy Coco
x3tc

Post by Scrappy Coco » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 11:48

You play an everyman, Ren Otani, who stumbles across a super-ship from the last war and gets it up and running. Then he meets Yisha, a terribly voice-acted copilot who gets him involved in a resistance movement against an evil mining corporation and… look, you fly around space looking at things and talking to people, okay? There's a quest chain that basically culminates with you editing the mining corporation’s WIkipedia page. It's a dragged-out tutorial with awful voice acting.
sad but true...

BTW - I remeber a threat here where somebody got hushed using the word: St...born .... Tasteless but even gametesters use it...
I didn´t use it, please mods let me live , please don´t ban me ...

Cheers SC !

kutchulu
x4

Post by kutchulu » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 13:09

DaddyMonster wrote:@kutchulu. Interesting point. I think what's got the reviewers' goat is being unable to access core game play features without falling into a mire of bugs and UI confusion.
This and not knowing older titles from ES.
DaddyMonster wrote: Before you would control things from the ship, and now you control things at point (this is unintuitive to say the least) and I think Ego did a very bad job explaining this making reviews conclude that it's just not there (not a totally unfair conclusion given that in 1.0 they didn't work). They fell on the wrong side of forgiveable with regard to bugs and core features just not working. If 1.18 had been the release we probably would have seen less shocking scores but it's the UI which was the key mistake imo.
Yes it was a poor decision especially taking in account the shitstorm the STEAM only release started. But I think they've got no other choice. Why should they otherwise take the shitstorm full. Just for money? I don't believe that. And I think they also got a muzzle from the publisher, because warning the costumers hurts their income.
On the other hand there was a statement that the beta testers had a different copy of the game with the possibility to speed up time. I have no idea what happens before release with this version. But if you ever worked in an development environment you know that strange things can happen there. We worked with a company which uses Visual Source Safe and they sometimes get very mixed results for new versions. So you know if things can go wrong they do.^^

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 16:40

I still see potential in this game, and I'm willing to bet that patches will keep coming for a long time.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

rpek32
x3ap

Post by rpek32 » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 16:55

From IGN:
No matter what happens with stability and bug-fixing patches, its poor controls, awful interface, and dull pacing ensure that X Rebirth will remain unpleasant for all but the most forgiving, die-hard space jockeys.
Agreed 100%
There is my opinion: no more egosoft games, except fully playable DEMO-VERSIONS. I want know what i paid for.

Waiting X4 for PC
[ external image ][ external image ]
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=359047&start=0 it's for L. Bernd

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 17:22

Scrappy Coco wrote:sad but true...

BTW - I remeber a threat here where somebody got hushed using the word: St...born .... Tasteless but even gametesters use it...

Cheers SC !
I imagine you'll find profanity-filled reviews of games out there too, that doesn't mean the language would be acceptable here. The particular term you dance around there is particularly offensive, hence the stomping.

(No, this post needs no reply. Not aimed specifically at you, btw Scappy, just generally :) )
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

taigen

Post by taigen » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 19:56

I am actually starting to see potential in this game, between the bugs Ego has fixed, and the features that modders have managed to implement, I can almost feel in control of my fleet and trade is almost worth doing (though being a missile salesman still seems more profitable than anything I can do with my freighters.... at least it gives missiles a purpose.... since they are so weak it feels like I am just shooting credits out the front of my ship). I have been trying really hard to like this game, since I spent so much time anticipating it, and there is a gleam of gold under the dust and grime.

That being said though, I find this trend to almost be unforgivable. Software should not be sold as 'fixware'. Modding should be encouraged, as it leads not only to great features but a tailoring to an individuals playstyle that is impossible with a single mass-release. However, modding should not be there to 'finish' a game for you. I would not play vanilla X Rebirth at this time, however modded XR is not bad, so I will stick around and see what it will become with more time (also please give the modders the tools they need to make significant changes... they are probably all thats keeping this game on life support...).

piep
x4

Post by piep » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 21:30

rpek32 wrote:From IGN:
No matter what happens with stability and bug-fixing patches, its poor controls, awful interface, and dull pacing ensure that X Rebirth will remain unpleasant for all but the most forgiving, die-hard space jockeys.
Agreed 100%
A lot of people in here, me inclusive render that conclusion useless. The review has this smell of yet another x-x3 widow who, as someone already pointed out above, didn't get the fees from deep silver to write a single good positive aspect of the game. And they are here for every one who played the game to see.

rpek32
x3ap

Post by rpek32 » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 22:15

piep wrote: A lot of people in here, me inclusive render that conclusion useless. The review has this smell of yet another x-x3 widow who, as someone already pointed out above, didn't get the fees from deep silver to write a single good positive aspect of the game. And they are here for every one who played the game to see.
Yea, evil ZOG (presented by community) want to blame X:R cuz its "Not another X3 game".

Man, Iam (and lots of players, and IGN) talk about it: interacting with User Interface its... like eating cactus.
There is my opinion: no more egosoft games, except fully playable DEMO-VERSIONS. I want know what i paid for.

Waiting X4 for PC
[ external image ][ external image ]
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=359047&start=0 it's for L. Bernd

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Thu, 5. Dec 13, 22:32

Scrappy Coco wrote:sad but true...

Cheers SC !
yea ,I want to see IGN locked and warned.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”