9 in 10 people who bought XR have stopped playing

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 19:49

Really is off topic, I am only a part of the Star Citizen single player and LAN sections, so that's not entirely accurate. As I said other games are for off topic.

You actually named two games I'm not interested in the slightest for what I want, could suggest others but then that is what off topic section is for....
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

FinWiz

Post by FinWiz » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 20:28

Draslin wrote:I apologize if someone has already broached the subject, I don't have the motivation to invest in reading this entire thread with my disappointment with Rebirth.

But, most people seem to be comparing apples to oranges. How about we compare apples to apples?

X: Rebirth
http://steamcharts.com/app/2870#All
All Peak: 14,664
24-Hour Peak: 2,068

X: Terran Conflict
http://steamcharts.com/app/2820#All
All Peak: 713
24-Hour Peak: 506

X: Albion Prelude
http://steamcharts.com/app/201310#All
All Peak: 1,853
24-Hour Peak: 945

Seems to me that There is a commanding difference in the number of players still playing these games. Granted, many may be waiting for the bugs to clear. But I don't recall ever letting the bugs of the older games stop me. I'd reload, restart, or even script around them where possible.

For the record, not a fan of this game. I've been thinking about purchasing Albion Prelude but I just can't bring myself to do it after being baited and switched like this. I had reservations about pre-ordering this game when I heard about the one ship fits all decision. But I thought, it's Egosoft! They can probably make it work.

As it turns out the number 1 design choice of this game that kills it for me is the one ship fits all. I'm not interested. If I wanted that I'd of played the original X game which never appealed. It wasn't until the later X Games where virtually everything was fair game that I got interested.

It was made out to seem like the empire you build in Rebirth would more or less run itself, but that's not the case. You manually make decisions for everything. Nothing is autonomous. Well, if I have to do all the work anyway, why not also let me pilot the damn things since that's the only thing I'm not doing. Add to that the fact that it would vastly improve the game experience. If something doesn't move under AI control, you can take direct control.

Oh hey, look at that! I'm ranting. I'll stop now.
Those are very interesting charts you posted. In three months Albion Prelude had a 40% drop off in players while it had already established on stable fan/player base. X3TC had an 56% drop off while original X3 had an 70% drop off. All within 3 months. None of this really matters however as stats only count from 2012 on. By that time, those games were already as perfect as they were gonna get and most of people playing those games didn't play them via Steam. For example, all time peak for original X3 was 200...
How can you say there is no game under the bugs when bugs so far have prevented us from fully playing it.

"One should strive to achieve, not sit in bitter regret."
-VNV Nation

thedesertwolf
x3ap

Post by thedesertwolf » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 21:36

You also have to recall that X3 and X2 both had a no-steam launcher distributed through egosoft a good while back. I believe that came out with the bonus materials package (Amazing little mods incorporated into the primary gameplay). While we are comparing their initial launches right now we all know that statistics and variables are heavily up to interpretation by the individual viewing them.

Heck one could say "This is not my cow, this is a potato with wings" while the other says "While the steady decline of active users throughout these games signifies a marked drop-off point among general users of the X series games after launch, due to the existence of things such as the no-steam launcher provided by egosoft, their reliability may be called into question. It also does not correspond well to the number of people playing the games in offline mode as some people find valve's services invasive and do not use the social functions of their digital distribution software."

Or something like that.

For now I'm all for the 'lay back, wait, and see if it lays a golden egg" philosophy. Or at least it gets ironed out to be fun and unique and they get all of their strange design choices to finally mesh together. Either or works.
I never knew that Kha'ak tasted like fried chicken!

dzhedzho
x4

Post by dzhedzho » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 21:53

FinWiz wrote:
Draslin wrote:I apologize if someone has already broached the subject, I don't have the motivation to invest in reading this entire thread with my disappointment with Rebirth.

But, most people seem to be comparing apples to oranges. How about we compare apples to apples?

X: Rebirth
http://steamcharts.com/app/2870#All
All Peak: 14,664
24-Hour Peak: 2,068

X: Terran Conflict
http://steamcharts.com/app/2820#All
All Peak: 713
24-Hour Peak: 506

X: Albion Prelude
http://steamcharts.com/app/201310#All
All Peak: 1,853
24-Hour Peak: 945

Seems to me that There is a commanding difference in the number of players still playing these games. Granted, many may be waiting for the bugs to clear. But I don't recall ever letting the bugs of the older games stop me. I'd reload, restart, or even script around them where possible.

For the record, not a fan of this game. I've been thinking about purchasing Albion Prelude but I just can't bring myself to do it after being baited and switched like this. I had reservations about pre-ordering this game when I heard about the one ship fits all decision. But I thought, it's Egosoft! They can probably make it work.

As it turns out the number 1 design choice of this game that kills it for me is the one ship fits all. I'm not interested. If I wanted that I'd of played the original X game which never appealed. It wasn't until the later X Games where virtually everything was fair game that I got interested.

It was made out to seem like the empire you build in Rebirth would more or less run itself, but that's not the case. You manually make decisions for everything. Nothing is autonomous. Well, if I have to do all the work anyway, why not also let me pilot the damn things since that's the only thing I'm not doing. Add to that the fact that it would vastly improve the game experience. If something doesn't move under AI control, you can take direct control.

Oh hey, look at that! I'm ranting. I'll stop now.
Those are very interesting charts you posted. In three months Albion Prelude had a 40% drop off in players while it had already established on stable fan/player base. X3TC had an 56% drop off while original X3 had an 70% drop off. All within 3 months. None of this really matters however as stats only count from 2012 on. By that time, those games were already as perfect as they were gonna get and most of people playing those games didn't play them via Steam. For example, all time peak for original X3 was 200...
Original X3R and X3TC was mostly distributed by retail IIRC and did not require steam.

Draslin
x4

Post by Draslin » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 21:54

You're forgetting that when the Original X3 came out, it wasn't on steam. Most people bought it via other retail outlets.

What is most interesting to me however, is that between TC and AP, there are almost as many people playing those in the last 24 hours as there are people playing X Rebirth and you wouldn't think that to be the case.

Also, your numbers are off, we can't tell from these charts what the launch numbers were. They only go back to July 2012. What I was pointing out was that we have two to five year old games with nearly the same player base of Rebirth which was just released.

I never bought AP because I assumed Rebirth was just around the corner and I speculate that a fair number of people did the same. The numbers on X3: Reunion are markedly lower.

Now, if you look at these you'll note that both TC and AP usage jumped with the AP 3.0 update came out. And again usage jumped about 2 days after Rebirth came out and has remained relatively steady since. I'd speculate the reason for that is that Rebirth doesn't appeal to majority of the fan base and people are going back to the good stuff.

Maybe it's just people playing what they have available to them until they can pick up Rebirth. Of course Rebirth's numbers have dropped like a stone, maybe we'll have a better idea in a few months time of what those numbers will look like in the long term and see how they compare to TC and AP.
Its not a hug so much as "Help me I'm dieing!"

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 22:09

I liked thedesertwolf - def' the smart thing to do.
Just a guess, feel free to hold me to it later but guessing the numbers will still slowly decline;

The people that dislike Rebirth are gone and not going to come back which is just life, no game I have ever seen appeals to everyone but their are still alot of people just waiting for things to improve which is good, they will trickle in over the next few months however as people that are playing it finally complete the game and realise that their is nothing more or deeper to it they are just going to switch off. Why play Rebirths economy when you can play an X3 one as was said above.

When Rebirth is bug free and running smoothly it will still have nothing to offer past 30 hours of gameplay and still never be anywhere as good as any previous X game in it's worse state.
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

Exether
x3

Post by Exether » Mon, 9. Dec 13, 11:13

Agree with Lyth...

I ve been playing X since X beyond the frontier..and Elite before that.
Deepness and freedom of the game s been wipped out.
Looks a bit like graphics have been improved and the rest erased...
I m not sure that simplifying a game that much is the right way to make it more accessible...not talking about the fact that taking it that way is nearly insulting players, something like: " you re not clever enough to understand...".

I read that most ppl left the game because of bugs...personnally I left (sadly) because of the new choices about the game mechanics.
I rly tried hard to get into XR, keeping in mind all the fun and amazing stuff the previous X gave me.
To be honest I removed XR and reinstalled X3:TC.

I dunno about stats what so ever..all I know is all the "old X players" I ve been talking to left XR after a week or so. And each time for the same reasons, or reason if you stick to their final sentence: "This is not X anymore.".

Not angry but only sad here.

One last thing, I used to work for a video games company.
The day they start thinking that marketing was more important than players and the game itself, they sold 2 last games and closed.
Ppl are not that stupid...they won t get caught more than once or twice.

peace

Exether

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”