Elite: Dangerous looks better already!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

maxcherry2
x2

Elite: Dangerous looks better already!

Post by maxcherry2 » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 20:24

Link to new Elite: Dangerous Alpha video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ykj3-q40A

Better then Rebirth already?

Max

Tolmos
x3tc

Re: Elite: Dangerous looks better already!

Post by Tolmos » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 20:26

maxcherry2 wrote:Link to new Elite: Dangerous Alpha video

Max
Right this second? Sure. Hello Kitty Online Adventure is looking better than Rebirth at the moment.

In 1 year, after patches and mods and new content from Egosoft? I'll put my money on Rebirth, easily.

She's a late bloomer, this one.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 20:28

Off to Off-Topic?
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

steelgrey75
x3ap

Post by steelgrey75 » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 20:34

Well it does look like a great game, the combat in particular looks enjoyable. Still I'd like to know more about the trade in the game to be honest as I love trading. Just a shame the way they did trading in rebirth really, I hate it, its clunky and tedious.
Don't fancy donating £200 to the kickstarter though....

Akeela

Post by Akeela » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 20:34

Definitely looks promising. Of course, Rebirth was made to look promising in the short videos we got too.

They are going to have to show me a lot more before I make that mistake again anytime soon.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 20:38

Elite is looking good and backers should be able to get it after 1st beta hopefully. But right now anything looks better than Rebirth. :roll:

kuplo
x3tc

Post by kuplo » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 20:54

I will not make the same mistake twice and pre-order any software or games.

We've all seen that no matter how great they make videos look, and how great marketing hype is written up, we could still end up with a lousy product.

Those that fail to learn are doomed to repeat the problem all over again. I refuse to do that. I HAVE learned.

bluenog143
x3tc

Post by bluenog143 » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:12

Marketing videos won't cut it for me; I'll need to wait until it's released then decide from playthrough videos with in-depth gameplay and other sources before making an impulse decision based on a fancy lightshow, pretty colors, and promises.
SinisterDeath wrote:This reminds me of something...

"I don't believe in GoD, but GoD sure believes in blowing up my factories."
Dark_Ansem wrote:Seeing your creation in-game and working makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

nonnex
x4

Post by nonnex » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:15

Wahhh, same "move to the side" detail monitor as in rebirth @1.11 right now.
This should be a reason to change this atf here ;)

Well, seriously the Hud looks awesome and some capabilities of the cryengine give us overwhelming optical goodies, no back talk here.

But what is about the content, the spirit of all?

Let's give me the opportunity to make a comparison.

Preamble: I'm a great fan of all the Battlemach, Mechwarrior scene.
So, I've bought Mechwarrior online instead. Wow! They have used Cryengine, incredible detailed damage model, hand in hand with the visuals, awesome, but....

But there is no soul after 100 matches, nor there is a special battle spirit like described in the books (just for those who have read them) what remains is the feel of need.

Why do I say/write this?
Elite (me/and other who have had the honor to play the original) is like the Books, Dangerous could be like MWO ;)
I hope not.
Last edited by nonnex on Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:21

nonnex wrote:Well, seriously the Hud looks awesome and some capabilities of the cryengine give us overwhelming optical goodies, no back talk here.
Star Citizen uses the CryEngine, Elite:Dangerous uses a self developed in-house engine.

maxcherry2
x2

Post by maxcherry2 » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:24

Don't get me wrong I am a long time X series fan, I really want Rebirth to grow and become the game we all hopped for, however even at Alpha stage ED does look good already.

The HUD/Cockpit Display looks much more immersive but you are all right the Rebirth videos also promised much.

I to will not be paying upfront for software of this type (hype) going forward.

Max.

Freespirit2000

Re: Elite: Dangerous looks better already!

Post by Freespirit2000 » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:25

maxcherry2 wrote:Link to new Elite: Dangerous Alpha video

Max
This is not relevant topic. This is X Rebirth forum and to have a discussion here about Elite Dangerous make no sense.
Regards

chikatilo

Post by chikatilo » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:29

X Rebirth had $3,50 for development.
Elite had $3.000.000 for development.
My money is on the game that has $35.000.000 for development and going up.

nonnex
x4

Post by nonnex » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:30

@maxcherry2: You are right, It is like watching a cinema Trailer who picks up all Your expectations or point to it. Like me, You are the first who gets cinema tickets for it ;)

Its just a reminder, that StarC and Dangerous ..... maybe... could do the same.

@chikatilo: Money buys quality right? lolz again.

pr0nflakes
x4

Post by pr0nflakes » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:40

Can't wait to add it to my collection.
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming
Powercolor RX56 Vega Red Dragon 8GB
16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 @3200MHZ
Windows 10 X64
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5058817

nonnex
x4

Post by nonnex » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 21:44

@p0rn: Word! I'll get it too, just because of having it.

Harag
x4

Post by Harag » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 22:13

pr0nflakes wrote:Can't wait to add it to my collection.
WOW, I have collection as well. I used to have it on the C=64 and electron as well. The good ole days.

ghostpilot
x2

Post by ghostpilot » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 23:38

I dont trust David Braben for making a good enough sequel of Elite, for some varied reasons. The game looks promising but I have to see it released and reviewd first.

But as for the alpha, its just me or does it look like what X4 could have been? (laser beams gallore aside). It has weapon energy lvl in the HUD like Xgames (not visually the same I know), it has visible radar, ship info screen poping on the side like X:R etc.

Imagine the small bobble-head figure there being replaced by a cartoonish Boron, it would be funny.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Thu, 12. Dec 13, 23:47

it depends - if Elite:Dangerous is entirely based around the player, trading and fighting with the ship he's in, then it's not going to be anything like X4.

If the ED player can command an empire of trade ships, and capital combat ships and stations and factories and have a wing of fighters, and change ship to fly a carrier and send a fleet of fighters to battle.... then its not going to be anything like X3, let alone X4.

Its all about scope - X3 had it, a X4 should have it in spades. A decent X4 should be almost a strategy game than a fly-a-fighter game (though with good aspects of both).

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Fri, 13. Dec 13, 01:12

ghostpilot wrote:I dont trust David Braben for making a good enough sequel of Elite, for some varied reasons. The game looks promising but I have to see it released and reviewd first.
You probably didn't like the other two sequels and I enjoyed them much more than the original version. They had huge potential, I wish he had resources to develop on that. I can still play those "face lifted" first encounters versions that you can get nowdays. If he eventually gets to the planet landing thing with modern graphics, I will probably even forget about missing economy there :) But I think it will be pretty safe to expect some mining, collecting fuel from stars, etc.

Return to “Off Topic English”