Hint about next patch from Egosoft? CBJ just posted this...

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 20:48

Darrosquall wrote:any news?

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 21:40

Just like old times :D

We are waiting for info about patch just like we wore waiting for info about XR release date before :rofl:
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 21:46

There is a patch currently in progress as previously said; the system *usually* is as follows:

New patch from devs -> Internal beta test -> Public beta test -> public release.

Of course before each transition stage there can be hotfixes, changes and tweaks. Hence no detailed information is released for general consumption until public release as the content is still 'fluid' until then.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 31. Mar 14, 22:18

I don't doubt that Egosoft and DevNet are working very hard, personally it bothers me not if the next patch is tomorrow or 2 months from now. What does bother me is :
- the quality (does it work well, is it a proper solution)
- the content (did Egosoft listen or do their own thing again)
- the "not knowing" (was it communicated)

Darrosquall
x4

Post by Darrosquall » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 01:29

Alan Phipps wrote:There is a patch currently in progress as previously said; the system *usually* is as follows:

New patch from devs -> Internal beta test -> Public beta test -> public release.

Of course before each transition stage there can be hotfixes, changes and tweaks. Hence no detailed information is released for general consumption until public release as the content is still 'fluid' until then.
you are right, but they released a game in an "unfinished state", a lot of people don't give up, want to play, but after one hundred of hours, I want to play the 1.0 version.

This lack of communication is simply not fair. There are few people still interest in this product, well, Devs should care about.

Surely they can say more about a simple beta patch.

clj

Another possible hint about next patch. Version 1.30? Can anyone clarify this post?

Post by clj » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 11:52

Kelthur, from Egosoft, responded to a bug report in the "Patch Public Beta" section with the following:
This is now fixed and should be in the next version after 1.30 (not sure exactly, sorry). Thanks for reporting!
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=363684

Does this mean that the next patch will be called 1.30 and will include this fix? Does it mean that Egosoft has already fixed this bug, but will not include the fix until the version after 1.30 has been released, whenever that is? Can anyone clarify?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 12:57

We don't really need a play-by-play for every fix or infoburst from the testing forums. As far as I can see it's open for everyone to view.

But I will clarify that post. Cat out of the bag, yes, it's 1.30.
Will that fix be included? We hope in the next build (for 1.30) but consider it not until we update the changelog/bug status.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 13:03

It's not open for everyone to view. Mostly we've had nothing official for a month but bare hints at 'soon'.
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

DaddyMonster

Post by DaddyMonster » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 13:08

But you're skipping 1.26 et al... that's cheating! ;-)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 13:18

YorrickVander wrote:It's not open for everyone to view.
It should be. Are you saying you can't access this forum?

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=141

Tato7
x4

Post by Tato7 » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 13:24

pjknibbs wrote:

But there is no 1.30 there, so maybe he means some other subforum.

clj

Post by clj » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 13:27

@Xenon_Slayer

I don't mean to be annoying to the folks at Egosoft, at all. It's just that it can be a real drag to crawl through all the various forums in the hope that you might come across something interesting from Egosoft related to the next patch buried in a reply to some thread somewhere. I thought everyone here would appreciate it if, whenever someone finds something interesting from Egosoft buried in the depths of some thread that not everyone is likely to want to read through, that they post about it, so that everyone can quickly see it.

We're all very anxious for any news, that's all.
Last edited by clj on Tue, 1. Apr 14, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

Darrosquall
x4

Post by Darrosquall » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 13:34

Xenon_Slayer wrote:We don't really need a play-by-play for every fix or infoburst from the testing forums. As far as I can see it's open for everyone to view.
but we have no news about this 1.30 patch. Not a changelog(even with a "subject to changes", nothing. We haven't news since 1.25 and the hotfix.

Egosoft doesnt have a "community manager"?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:12

We have a process of testing privately via DevNet first, then publicly testing (which everyone can see) and then comes the release. Once it gets to public testing that will include the changelog. Until then we've got to focus on getting it to that state.

Any info before then is just potentially incomplete or too subject to change. If we had a 'community manager' it wouldn't change this.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

stickocide
x3tc

Post by stickocide » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:43

Xenon_Slayer wrote:We have a process of testing privately via DevNet first, then publicly testing (which everyone can see) and then comes the release. Once it gets to public testing that will include the changelog. Until then we've got to focus on getting it to that state.

Any info before then is just potentially incomplete or too subject to change. If we had a 'community manager' it wouldn't change this.
I wish we could see why you're so tight-lipped Xenon_Slayer, as well as the others at Egosoft. I appreciate that you mightn't want to say anything that then disappoints people further down the line, but most development studios have this problem and say enough to get by. Smaller developers tend to talk more because it keeps the fanbase happy - and with measured words this talk doesn't let them down much if things don't go according to plan.

The general consensus amongst the community here seems that the reason for the wall of silence before release was that you folks wanted to keep under wraps just how badly progress had gone, and make enough out of your fanbase to stay afloat. I don't know where you fit into the hierarchy here, Xenon_Slayer, but surely you all knew how bad things were on release. Looking at this in a more critical manner, one could suggest Egosoft were being deliberately vague and misleading in order to cash-in on the goodwill of their fanbase. Whilst this might have gone well financially (Bernd's "great success" post comes to mind), it comprehensively destroyed Egosoft's credibility as a small-time studio who would try their best and be vaguely honest about their intentions. Whether Bernd controls the whole PR side, whether CBJ has any influence, and whether the wider dev-team in the studio have much of a say I don't know, but if you do it's pretty damning. People who work at Egosoft are tainted by association with the brand name now, and I don't know to what extent the studio can make up lost ground before the money runs out.

The damage has been done, though, and I don't see how these continued long periods of silence are helping. The community here are desperate to know more about what is going on, and want the best for the game and Egosoft. Those that are still here withstood the public relations disaster that was the release, I just don't see how communicating more is going to make things any worse.

I get that there is a lot of work to do - dear god, we can see that as players - but just occasionally getting one of you guys to post about how things are going on the main update posts would be greatly appreciated. I like to think others in the community would appreciate that too. People here aren't desperate for you to fail and then laugh from the sidelines, most genuinely want Egosoft to do well and want to support you. The current way Egosoft engage with the public only alienates people further.

I really hope you'll do something about it, Xenon_Slayer, if you can.
Last edited by stickocide on Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:44

Tato7 wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:

But there is no 1.30 there, so maybe he means some other subforum.
For reference, the quote comes from within the following thread in that forum:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=363684

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:51

stickocide wrote:The general consensus amongst the community here seems that the reason for the wall of silence before release was that you folks wanted to keep under wraps just how badly progress had gone
I do not know where you get that idea, there has only been a few very vocal posters putting forward that premise. There are still those of us that hold the view "no news, is good news" where Egosoft is concerned. In short, there is no consensus.

In software development it is not unusual for change lists to be flexible up until the point that they decide to release. We have already seen that Egosoft get a lot of backlash for delaying features because of 11th hour issues which are not resolvable in time for the release.
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:57, edited 2 times in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:55

Roger, are you talking about before the release of Rebirth or before release of patches for Rebirth? Or perhaps both?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 14:59

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:Roger, are you talking about before the release of Rebirth or before release of patches for Rebirth? Or perhaps both?
Both in actuality, but the state of the initial release (and reasons for it being so bad) is moot now.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 15:03

Thank you for the clarification.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”