[Official] Technical Engine Development faq / blog

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 11. Feb 15, 10:43

We'll see how it goes, I do hope that there are some really good reasons for redoing the whole thing.
I unfortunately never had a good look at the driver side of the API and when I think about it simplifying that is potentially more significant than the user-facing changes.
The main problem we're facing right now is that every driver on every platform behaves a differently, which is a major pain in the rear;p

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 11. Feb 15, 11:55

Yeah there was a really big discussion between lots of developers a few months ago who talked about their concerns that they don't know if they should see glNext as the next big major step (or just forget about it) and if so if it is still worth investing time in current OGL then, as nobody knows when glNext is actually published and market-ready.

I mean is glNext going to be compatible with older cards?
My old video card was OGL2 HW compatible but the driver was OGL4 SW compatible, though he skipped many effects and other visual stuff it was very well playable.

Despite all of that, I am very thrilled about your OGL version.
I just want to see how it performs.
XR got better and better and you guys did a great job increasing the performance a lot but it still is partially a pain especially when compared to other games with better graphics, more meshes, more details and way more stable FPS together with higher DX-versions.
So I am very thrilled to see your work in action someday ;)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

edqe

Post by edqe » Sat, 21. Feb 15, 18:30

timon37 wrote:Well for me personally the announcement of glNext (or whatever it's called) was a huge let down, to put it mildly.
Basically with everyone jumping on the "ooo new lightweight, close-to-the-metal, low-overhead, whatever" bandwagon opengl was the last API available which wasn't a dead-end, and didn't have glaring limitations (e.g. one platform, one vendor, etc). Furthermore with the examples from AZDO presentations it was clear-ish that it could deliver low-overhead already (how that really compares to mantle/dx12 is of course an open question).
That was good read. It will be interesting to see how good/bad OpenGL 4.x support will have for new gaming GPUs once glNext has been release and ready for use.

For those who are interested, OpenGL AZDO presentation and demo:
http://www.slideshare.net/tlorach/openg ... eroverhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QP2ORmVOA

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 25. Feb 15, 15:17

edqe wrote: For those who are interested, OpenGL AZDO presentation and demo:
I didn't have time to really read it, I just glanced through the slides.
But woah cool stuff, though that's going "quite a bit" further then the previous azdo presentations;p

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Thu, 26. Feb 15, 04:35

edqe wrote: For those who are interested, OpenGL AZDO presentation and demo:
this will be cool when it's get into standard, now it's can be used only for cad systems (i.e. write different (shaders) code for different hardware).

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Thu, 26. Feb 15, 07:27

CBJ, do the world a favor and sticky this already...
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

edqe

Post by edqe » Tue, 3. Mar 15, 09:39

"March 3rd 2015, San Francisco, GDC – The Khronos™ Group, an open consortium of leading hardware and software companies, today announced the availability of technical previews of the new Vulkan™ open standard API for high-efficiency access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs used in a wide variety of devices."

Khronos Reveals Vulkan API for High-efficiency Graphics and Compute on GPUs

PC Perspective has very good article about Vulkan: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Te ... -OpenCL-21

Christophe Riccio: http://www.g-truc.net/post-0714.html

edqe

Post by edqe » Tue, 3. Mar 15, 23:49

Some gamers has started to get excited:

886/config/oslist: linux
2886/name: X Rebirth Main Linux
https://steamdb.info/app/2870/history/

... too early? :)

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 13:54

Just a bit of heads-up as well as a warning;)
We're gonna publicly release the linux build very soon.
It's a really early build, so there will be quite a few things missing e.g. joystick support, anti-aliasing, ssao (full list coming soon).
There will be some graphical differences/glitches, however in some areas there are improvements so it's not all bad:)
Performance in my testing is a mixed bag (varies between bit better and much worse).

edqe

Post by edqe » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 16:07

timon37 wrote:Just a bit of heads-up as well as a warning;)
Thanks for the info. Sounds excellent. Can't wait :)

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 17:16

That's great news, wish I had the space on my macbook for a linux build, is the linux compatibility focus on the steamOS version?
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

ddeflyer

Post by ddeflyer » Thu, 5. Mar 15, 18:17

It's a really early build, so there will be quite a few things missing e.g. joystick support, anti-aliasing, ssao (full list coming soon).
There will be some graphical differences/glitches, however in some areas there are improvements so it's not all bad:)
Performance in my testing is a mixed bag (varies between bit better and much worse).
Awesome, I've been waiting a long time for that to happen and now I can buy the game!

Garga-Potter
x3tc

Post by Garga-Potter » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 13:03

timon37 wrote: We're gonna publicly release the linux build very soon.
Does this mean it will switch to "not installed" in my Steam list? I hope this will happen soon!
- Never argue with an idiot: he will first take you to his level and then crash you with his experience!
- If you live in a village and never met his fool... start to worry!
- Good Bye, and thanks for all the fish.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 14:32

Heheh I should have made the first line "publicly release the VERY EARLY and UNSTABLE linux build" ;p

Compatibility wise the only thing I'll be (initially) able to guarantee is ubuntu 14.04.
Though I'll be working to improve that asap.

@Garga-Potter
Yes it means that if you have it in steam you'll just suddenly get the option to install it on linux.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 14:44

timon37 wrote: Compatibility wise the only thing I'll be (initially) able to guarantee is ubuntu 14.04.
As long as you are using the steam runtime, that should be fine for most distros. I haven't had any real compatibility problems with the X3 ports before.
Yes it means that if you have it in steam you'll just suddenly get the option to install it on linux
Well, we are already able to download the game. I am just waiting for the "missing executable" error to disappear. I hope that will happen soon :)

sunu
x4

Post by sunu » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 22:14

timon37 wrote:Compatibility wise the only thing I'll be (initially) able to guarantee is ubuntu 14.04.
SteamOS itself should also be very high in the priority list, if not #1. Steam has an easily installable DVD ISO image out there:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamu ... 243644036/
http://repo.steampowered.com/download/

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Tue, 10. Mar 15, 23:50

You've just given me a reason to actually use linux! :D
Editing posts since long before I remember.

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Wed, 11. Mar 15, 08:12

I wonder if it will be made extremely very clear that the Linux build is an very early version? If not - be prepared to get an lot of (bad, hateful) comments from people that actually think it is an finished product! Especially on the Steam forum (but it will spark off to this forum too).

I strongly advise to put an big fat bold BETA or ALPHA in the name or be prepared to get completely slaughtered! That would be an shame really..

That said, it is nice to try out the first results of the port. I mainly work with Ubuntu 14.04 as this is an LTS version, so I got the "good" version. Without joystick the game will be not very playable for me yet (I never got along with mouse steering), but still nice to see the advances and limitations of the present build. Good work!

But - as I said, please, please, please be very clear about that it's not an finished port yet. The last thing we need now is an new hate-explosion on the Steam forum, just when things have calmed down a little over there...

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 11. Mar 15, 12:03

Yes, I agree. Egosoft is always so shy in that matter. Steam also has an Alpha-Warning-Window for the store page.

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Wed, 11. Mar 15, 20:00

No worries for me.
I'll just switch out the hard drive.

I can swap back to winblowz anytime. 8)
Editing posts since long before I remember.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”