Teladi DLC would have been free?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 14:58

I'm certainly curious to know how many people actually bought the DLC versus just claimed it for free because they had the game. People would have had to buy the base game at full price first or at the very least, half price.

There are a grand total of 30 reviews for the Teladi Outpost DLC on the Steam page. Either people are so ecstatically happy with it that they don't have time to post a review or not that many people thought it was a big thing either way.

I still think it is a bit too early for paid DLC for Rebirth. Too many things that still need to be addressed. Free for a limited time or not.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 22:25

yep, that is the question Slashman

I think Egosoft will go for 2nd DLC regardless though to either oppose or confirm the sales results of Teladi Outpost.

As a player the concept of adding new features to the base product whilst selling expanded content is ok by me, but I don't see the business model there. Whilst I am at times critical of Egosoft I have every desire for them to succeed financially as well as delivering good products.

I think PC gaming needs to accept that good quality content costs money and people shouldn't be afraid of that from either the developer or the consumer.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 00:45

BigBANGtheory wrote:I think PC gaming needs to accept that good quality content costs money and people shouldn't be afraid of that from either the developer or the consumer.
I wouldn't say that people are generally opposed to DLC at this point. The key thing in my mind being that DLC on a well-received game makes a lot of sense. While DLC on a game with the reputation behind it that Rebirth has, needs to be spectacular to get people to both buy the base game and then invest a further $10 into that additional content.

Since the next one isn't going to be free for anyone, I'm really interested to see how many actually buy it.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 01:20

Egosoft can either go belly-up in surrender, or they can dig themselves out of the hole one customer at a time. I'm glad they picked the second option. I grabbed up the new DLC for free, but if I'd missed out on the opportunity, i'd have paid for it sans complaints. It's worth $9.99 regardless of how wronged certain people feel by the original release debacle. If they make a new expansion, and I'm sure they will, I'll be happy to pay for it.

Time to move on, people.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 12:22

Slashman wrote:I'm certainly curious to know how many people actually bought the DLC versus just claimed it for free because they had the game. People would have had to buy the base game at full price first or at the very least, half price.
I paid. Promised I'd wait a year, the length of time it was said until a NoSteam.exe would be released. Got the X-Universe email sent on the 16th of Dec 14 saying the Free DLC was about to end, jumped on Steam to purchase and found I was too late, after some more research I discovered why. I then got the CE on 17th of Dec 14, it comes with the DLC.
Slashman wrote:There are a grand total of 30 reviews for the Teladi Outpost DLC on the Steam page. Either people are so ecstatically happy with it that they don't have time to post a review or not that many people thought it was a big thing either way.
Possibly people did exactly like many of us here, they came onto Steam and found the DLC was no longer free. Probably they just rolled their eyes and went back to playing Elite Dangerous or some such.

There's also a ton of people who own the game and swore they'd never play again (for one reason or another), I know 2 who were banned during the Great Cull, they'll never be back.

I even know a few who wrote terrible reviews on the main site and, after testing the DLC, simply updated these (or simply couldn't be bothered)

Hence the only people who probably took the effort to leave reviews on the DLC page were the persistent fans. But even with only 30 reviews, 20% of them gave a thumbs down ......
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 18:59

Why people keep mentioning Elite Dangerous?

It has nothing to do with Rebirth.

elite dangerous = the shiny/super polished 4 things to do game ^infinite.

Despite remaning bugs or annoying stuff Rebirth could have, certainly there is more to do here than in ED, oh and... ED AI is way dumber, you just have to see them fight each other.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”