Teladi DLC would have been free?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 20:19

The problem here is those that say "well you had plenty of opportunity, there were mails, articles" that couldn't been described as a Vogon notification.

Then there are people who come and say "hey, i bought this at purchase, i supported them from the start, believed i didn't need to wait and review or the price drop" egosoft are a bunch of bastards

And you know what, both sides are correct.

The only positive outcome that could ever come from this is ego deciding to release via date bought, dunno if they can actually do that.

If they decided a line had to be drawn, they tried a reasonable effort to placate existing users and keep their staff in moola then they also have the right to draw the line and i couldn't criticise them for it at all, business is business

Ultimately i declare this thread an "internet argument" and we all know what happens when you argue on the internet :)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 20:36

LV wrote:The only positive outcome that could ever come from this is ego deciding to release via date bought, dunno if they can actually do that.
I believe that this was covered much earlier in the thread, and the impression was that it was not possible to do as you suggest.

@All: I am not sure if Egosoft have access to who has and who has not got a valid license for X-Rebirth but one potential option (in theory) could have been to gift the DLC to known owners of the game while it was advertised for free (c/f how one user can gift software to another). If this were possible, then it would have perhaps avoided the current fracas over the missed opportunity by some. I suspect this was not possible but it would have been nice if it were.

The problem now is that it is pretty much water under the bridge, spilt milk, etc. However much some of us may sympathise with those that missed the opportunity, I also can not blame Egosoft for looking after their business interests.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 04:23

nalim27 wrote:
Night Nord wrote: I would suggest (once again) making a new X:whatever game (the X:R in the current state, essentially) as an early access game and raising funds for a future development in more open fashion. If people will know what they are paying for they'll be more eager to pay even for a promise of that. But EgoSoft still relying on the old scheme of "hyping" the product before the release, so people will build their own expectations to motivate them paying more.
That is really good post - I agree with you. But zero activity on Steam ends 5 days ago - something like X:Rebirth Tool is appeared together with X:Rebirth Soundtrack 2.
So after holidays "something" is happening again.
I think that modders will be more happy soon :-)
There's a couple of problems with this, but the most significant is this; Everything which makes Rebirth the game it is can be found within other games like Elite Dangerous, Echelon Mercenary, or Star Citizen. Even if we put aside the fact that most Space Sim lovers have now invested their money elsewhere, certainly every friend I know who played X:Games no longer do, Egosoft would have to contend with the recent damage done to their reputation. There's also the fact that many people who invest generally expect a DRM version of a game, not offering one would severely cut the number of potential investors.
There are other money making options available to them ....

I noticed the second soundtrack, I'd hoped it was the FLAC version but it simply seems to be a duplicate of the first MP3 soundtrack.
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 05:12

ScamCitzen dont go be ready util 2020 - okay 2016

EliteDangerous failed in economy simulation i feel so artificial without any chain production price sometimes going up and down i have no idea why
But fews things like size station - population and quest also to expand station consume/supply very cool but most time price are static except one player are same station you(open or solo dont matter)
Example if any player trade sames station you price fluctuation
if not price are static for rest life dont matter if you vanish for week and back(no oversupply)
*I see station envolve Medium to Large but never See Station Large to medium probably if after much pirates
** Like X-rebirth station cant be destroyed and Ships magical Respaw Both things need END if you want space sim

Except i feel universe X-rebirth bit BIGGER
and Dynamic

1 - I wish see shipyard build to stations/war (real war did but guy vanish)
2 - Need more thousands minor faction each one with one station or fleet
this minor faction have wallets to buy ship and build stations expand or exterminate (Litcube on X3 do it)

In overall i feel X-rebirth great , and now i learn how mod since i love it and spend so many times so many game reset(testing mods , not bugitself)

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 05:29

vadiolive wrote: In overall i feel X-rebirth great , and now i learn how mod since i love it and spend so many times so many game reset(testing mods , not bugitself)
That's the X3 series for me.

Propheta
x3tc

Post by Propheta » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 11:26

hmm i think this thread is lost in space and with the jumpdrive dead... :roll:

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 12:15

Egosoft has a tricky commercial decision and balancing act to make possibly based on the sales results of Teladi Outpost, namely:

- How much support and new features to place on the vanilla XR product
- What might constitute a new DLC and what might that return be
- Whether or when to release a new core product

Somehow they will need to navigate through this and really so far they have taken the softest option of both giving away and later charging for the 1st DLC.

I think Egosoft will release another DLC in the next 6months and offer a discount, I doubt anyone will get the next one for free. What ES should do imho is find out from the 'players not currently playing' basically what content it would take to bring them back into the game.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 12:29

Perhaps if Egosoft have some kind of DLC release plan, offering a season pass that is free (or heavily discounted) for a limited period would possibly help to placate those that missed the free DLC opportunity now and would perhaps prevent similar missed "limited time special offer" opportunities in the future.

It may also help to bring in more funds sooner than they would have otherwise (perhaps at the expense of overall received funds in the long term though).
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Wed, 21. Jan 15, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Propheta
x3tc

Post by Propheta » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 12:29

Well if they create new content, sectors or main story i will buy them without problem.
But patches that the game still need, have to go in a diferent path and free.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 13:08

Propheta wrote:Well if they create new content, sectors or main story i will buy them without problem.
But patches that the game still need, have to go in a diferent path and free.
The issue with that approach though is how many players will actually buy the new content without patches/features/changes that require more significant investment and resource? You might, others will likely do as well but broadly speaking how many, what % of XR owners would.

I don't pretend to know the answer, rather making an observation that its a tricky balancing act to pull off in a commercially successful way. There comes a point where free DLC is no longer viable or even desirable in the bigger scheme of things. I guess it all comes down to how large the 2015 player base really is. Whilst we could argue over that I think we can all agree that it is significantly smaller than the v1.0 release for reasons well known.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 14:58

I'm certainly curious to know how many people actually bought the DLC versus just claimed it for free because they had the game. People would have had to buy the base game at full price first or at the very least, half price.

There are a grand total of 30 reviews for the Teladi Outpost DLC on the Steam page. Either people are so ecstatically happy with it that they don't have time to post a review or not that many people thought it was a big thing either way.

I still think it is a bit too early for paid DLC for Rebirth. Too many things that still need to be addressed. Free for a limited time or not.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 22:25

yep, that is the question Slashman

I think Egosoft will go for 2nd DLC regardless though to either oppose or confirm the sales results of Teladi Outpost.

As a player the concept of adding new features to the base product whilst selling expanded content is ok by me, but I don't see the business model there. Whilst I am at times critical of Egosoft I have every desire for them to succeed financially as well as delivering good products.

I think PC gaming needs to accept that good quality content costs money and people shouldn't be afraid of that from either the developer or the consumer.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 00:45

BigBANGtheory wrote:I think PC gaming needs to accept that good quality content costs money and people shouldn't be afraid of that from either the developer or the consumer.
I wouldn't say that people are generally opposed to DLC at this point. The key thing in my mind being that DLC on a well-received game makes a lot of sense. While DLC on a game with the reputation behind it that Rebirth has, needs to be spectacular to get people to both buy the base game and then invest a further $10 into that additional content.

Since the next one isn't going to be free for anyone, I'm really interested to see how many actually buy it.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 01:20

Egosoft can either go belly-up in surrender, or they can dig themselves out of the hole one customer at a time. I'm glad they picked the second option. I grabbed up the new DLC for free, but if I'd missed out on the opportunity, i'd have paid for it sans complaints. It's worth $9.99 regardless of how wronged certain people feel by the original release debacle. If they make a new expansion, and I'm sure they will, I'll be happy to pay for it.

Time to move on, people.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 12:22

Slashman wrote:I'm certainly curious to know how many people actually bought the DLC versus just claimed it for free because they had the game. People would have had to buy the base game at full price first or at the very least, half price.
I paid. Promised I'd wait a year, the length of time it was said until a NoSteam.exe would be released. Got the X-Universe email sent on the 16th of Dec 14 saying the Free DLC was about to end, jumped on Steam to purchase and found I was too late, after some more research I discovered why. I then got the CE on 17th of Dec 14, it comes with the DLC.
Slashman wrote:There are a grand total of 30 reviews for the Teladi Outpost DLC on the Steam page. Either people are so ecstatically happy with it that they don't have time to post a review or not that many people thought it was a big thing either way.
Possibly people did exactly like many of us here, they came onto Steam and found the DLC was no longer free. Probably they just rolled their eyes and went back to playing Elite Dangerous or some such.

There's also a ton of people who own the game and swore they'd never play again (for one reason or another), I know 2 who were banned during the Great Cull, they'll never be back.

I even know a few who wrote terrible reviews on the main site and, after testing the DLC, simply updated these (or simply couldn't be bothered)

Hence the only people who probably took the effort to leave reviews on the DLC page were the persistent fans. But even with only 30 reviews, 20% of them gave a thumbs down ......

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 18:59

Why people keep mentioning Elite Dangerous?

It has nothing to do with Rebirth.

elite dangerous = the shiny/super polished 4 things to do game ^infinite.

Despite remaning bugs or annoying stuff Rebirth could have, certainly there is more to do here than in ED, oh and... ED AI is way dumber, you just have to see them fight each other.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”