Teladi DLC would have been free?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Abraxis86
x3tc

Teladi DLC would have been free?

Post by Abraxis86 » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 19:43

So, like many other X series enthusiasts, I pre-ordered X-Rebirth without hesitation. Launch day comes and my heart became a cold and shriveled thing, never quite able to recover from the disappointment and sense of betrayal.

After having been sitting on this purchase for over a year, I now come to see how the game is progressing and see it might be worth diving back into.

There's a new DLC which was released -free to all those, whom like me, were burned by Rebirth; as a gesture of good faith from Egosoft. Except I don't qualify because I'm 6 days late?

Ever get that eye twitch when dealing with extreme tedium? I'm having that happen right now.

I don't suppose an appeal would do me any good here...

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 20:26

It was free to claim on steam for over three months.
Seems like you missed it.

Crytch
xr

Post by Crytch » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 20:43

It was a thank you for the People Who

A. Bought it
B. Still are playing / interacting with the game

If you didnt noticed it was free for three months there is noone to blame than yourself

xondk
x4

Wrong forum? The Teladi Outpost

Post by xondk » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 22:07

First of all if this is the wrong topic, could someone point me to where it is appropriate?

But to begin with, I want to freely admit that I have not played x rebirth as much as I wanted to, however, the thing that annoys me a little, is that it has been installed, even though I haven't played it simply never getting around to it with things getting in the way.

So now I've been made aware of the 'free' dlc, but I return to the game to find that, it had a time limit on it?, while I can understand that DLC is meant to cost, since developers have used time on it.

However with other things that have gotten free DLC, and the game was installed, these dlc's would be added and download them (though I will admit that latestly steam auto updating has been odd), so I am wondering why this did not happen with this DLC?

Abraxis86
x3tc

Post by Abraxis86 » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 22:07

I did buy it, and I have clearly interacted plenty with this forum, and the modding of prior games, for 3 years prior to X:Rebirth's release.

I havn't checked in for over three months because life. This disqualifies me for reparations over having my money held for a year on pretense? This is just silly.

Why draw the line at an arbitrary time limit? Those that didn't notice lapsed due to lack of interest. No interest was due to having been sold something that wasn't interesting. Egosoft wants to apologize for this fact by offering first DLC for free, but only if you were interested enough in what they sold to notice the offer... This is an illusion from a paradox. By design, it rejects a large portion of us whom it is supposedly meant to target. A pretty easy way to say sorry.

A bit silly. And a poor way to treat initial investors if intentional, which I choose to believe it was not. Which is why I bring it to attention.

Hardcard

Post by Hardcard » Sun, 21. Dec 14, 22:42

Abraxis86 wrote:I did buy it, and I have clearly interacted plenty with this forum, and the modding of prior games, for 3 years prior to X:Rebirth's release.

I havn't checked in for over three months because life. This disqualifies me for reparations over having my money held for a year on pretense? This is just silly.

Why draw the line at an arbitrary time limit? Those that didn't notice lapsed due to lack of interest. No interest was due to having been sold something that wasn't interesting. Egosoft wants to apologize for this fact by offering first DLC for free, but only if you were interested enough in the first place to notice the offer... This is an illusion from a paradox. By design, it rejects a large portion of us whom it is supposedly meant to target.

A bit silly. And a poor way to treat initial investors if intentional, which I choose to believe it was not. Which is why I bring it to attention.
I think you are totally right. I'd ignore some of the replies in this thread, they are clearly written by people who can't think straight because of their devotion to Egosoft or whatever. Obviously, if you have a productive life you won't be checking what's going on with X:Rebirth every month (and if we take into account the state in which the game was released, you'll check even less).
If Egosoft wanted to apologize, then they should've kept the dlc free for a longer period. I check the status of X:Rebirth regularly and yet I barely made it in time to get that dlc for free... I don't think there's any excuse.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about this. The new sectors are filled with fog which rapes fps and the Teladi plot is bugged (well, at this point, I think we all assume that new content in X:Rebirth will be bugged, don't we? LOL)

flemingjamess

Post by flemingjamess » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 01:07

At this point, I am really sorry that I ever bought this game. It was totally broken at release, but I saw the potential, so I put it away for most of a year. Came back to it after 2.51. Wow, this game is almost playable. Still a few major bugs, but starting to be what I saw in it. Now with the release of 3.0 (3,10) I feel like the game is completely FUBARed.
The economy feels like no one has ever read an econ. book. And as far as the new TO region, avoid it like the plague. 4 new stations, a region that will destroy the Skunk, and if I send a trade ship to the station near the jump gate to Albion, write it off. No hostiles in the area, it just takes damage until it no longer exists.
This is my first X game, and I would love to see it work as advertised, but I am about ready to quit this game for good.
Please fix this game.

Spami
x4

Post by Spami » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 01:32

@flemingjamess
Wrong place, you are missing the topic here completlely.
Create a new topic or so to get heard.

@Everyone else
I am really sorry that you didn't got the DLC for free. I would call this bad luck.
Don't worry though, The Teladi Outpost doesn't offers much more gameplay elements, patch 3.0 is much more interesting. Only thing is you get a bit of eye candy and you can play more easily as a pirate.
So don't bother about it that much. Really not that interesting to bebworth bothering.

Btw.:
Egosoft never said this free DLC is some kind of reparation or a "sorry" for the broken release.
People just came up with this assumption for some reason, I guess they just like in general the feeling of being cared of.

Actually it was more like a smart marketing step to increase income by luring people to buy the game by giving them the DLC for free. It was in media all over the place and therefore the perfect advertisment and boost of sold copies.

I have never ever read about Egosoft saying it is meant as an apology.
If it was said then please link to the topic and I am taking all back.
Spami

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 01:33

Egosoft never released finished game.

Your whining doesn't ammount to anything.

You were clearly told what Rebirth would be.

You had 3 months to claim the dlc.

If in X amount of years you haven't learned how ES works... then there is no cure for what you have. Kids with attention span of a brick tossed down the well... If you were all here at release of X3... you would be whining about it being broken and empty. If you were here for release of TC you would be crying "OMIGAWZAF FUBAR SHIT WTF REFUNDZ NOW /CUTWRIST. Y U NO MO THEN 5 FPSSSSSSSSSSSZZ?!?!111eleventeen". God forbid you'd be present for X2 release... ES would be permanently stuck fixing your saves. Ah the fond memories... before community got full of obnoxious basement dwellers.

If you want to be treated with respect, get a god damn clue first and don't spew insults just because you were raised in elevator. ES told you it will a reboot, you were told it would be a brand new engine. Yes there could have been things that would have gone better if ES allowed devnet to have a proper go at this before it went live... but that ship sailed. Their 3 faults are not involving devnet properly, designing the entire game around a tv remote(controller... I guess worse then tv remote) and assuming kids these days can do research or in case they have been around use their memory to put 2 and 2 together while retaining semblance of reading comprehension.
Last edited by hisazul on Mon, 22. Dec 14, 01:41, edited 2 times in total.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 01:34

There's no pleasing some people.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 01:48

Comments are getting very personal in this thread. Please do not insult other people or groups of people. This is against forum rules. Keep discussion to the game please.

As for those who missed out on the free DLC, I understand your frustration but Egosoft were very accommodating in this matter.

flemingjamess

Post by flemingjamess » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 02:04

Spami,
I am sorry if I derailed this thread, but my point being, is that the TO DLC is not worth the worry at this point.
This game could be awesome, it just needs to work.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 02:14

Actually, I think the Teladi Outpost DLC is a great expansion of the X Rebirth universe. If this is the direction Egosoft is going, possibly adding a few Paranid or Boron sectors in the next release, then I'm all in.

As to the OP missing out on his opportunity to nab some free DLC, sorry man, that sucks. To be fair to the dev's they did announce the expansion and deadline to get it for free a looong time ago. Better luck next time:)
Ayn Rand was correct.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 07:49

There were 2 newsletters telling you the DLC was free.
The November edition, arriving about 4 weeks after it was told on the website and giving a deadline for early December. And the December edition, arriving on Dec 15th, telling you could get it for free until the 14th?!?!.

Then again, the newsletter only works if you are subscribed to it.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 10:59

There was also a Steam X-Rebirth News article on 11th December 2014 letting you know the DLC would only be free till 15th December 2014 and an earlier announcement in the same Steam news list on the 26th September 2014.

I do not know how much the OP plays the game but that seems to be a fair effort on the part of Egosoft (combined with the notices in the forums and the News Letters) to keep everyone informed. They could not realistically do much more than they have done.

It really does not seem fair that the OP (and possibly others) missed the opportunity but the situation is what it is...

It is probably worth the 7.99 UKP it is being advertised for in the UK Steam Store front.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

diistor

I don't have the Teladi DLC for free

Post by diistor » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 12:23

Hello,

I purchased the game a year ago, while it was still in pre-order. My friends told me to come again to get the free Teladi DLC! But the game is not in my library and appears to be $10 in the Steam store.

How can I redeem the DLC?

Thanks,
Clement

pumpkinman68
x4

Post by pumpkinman68 » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 12:23

Sorry to say but the announce of Egosoft wasn't clear : the newsletter that I received in November said, in french "le premier DLC X Rebirth nommé The Teladi Outpost, qui peut être précommandé gratuitement dès maintenant." wich can be translated by "the first DLC X Rebirth named The Teladi Outpost, which can be free pre-orded right now". In my ears, this doesn't means the DLC is free; it's almost like softwares that announces "free trial" with a payement at the end of trial. However, I am guilty of not browse informations on Steam (mainly because I don't like Steam), so, of course, I totally missed the announce that tell the DLC was free. Moreover, after many big disappointments from "small game editors" in recent times, I have finally formed... a certain opinion, not very favorable towards them ! I became very suspicious... especially with this kind of announce. No more crowdfunding, no more pre-order !

I have the same feelings and ideas as the OP. The question I would ask is : If DLC was free, why not included it in an update ? This DLC is probably and effectively a thank to all the ones who continue to play, which is not my case. But, after the "failure" of the release, what is the best behaviour : Thank the "devoted players", the "fanboys" for their loyalty, or do all what is possible to do to bring back "lost customers" ?

So, another result would be that people like me (=who stops playing and waits to see what will be the future of the game), and/or OP, are disappointed a second time; and won't be any more a "customer" of Egosoft. Don't think I'm ready to pay 10€ for a DLC of X-Rebirth... Still waiting and still not "customers".

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 12:56

The DLC was free if you claim and downloaded it before the 15 of December. After that time it will not be free anymore. They made the announcement nearly 3 months ago.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 13:21

I can understand the need to draw a line and have a date from which the Teladi Outpost is no longer a free gift DLC, but this gets worse;

There also seems to be an issue where people have rightfully claimed the free Teladi Outpost DLC 'gift' prior to cut off date, which registered it in their DLC library as theirs and available.

BUT it's deleted if it had not been installed by the cut off date. Once in your library it should be available whenever you are ready to install it, surely? I have not been able to check this in my own game yet for various reasons.
see here also;
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 17#4475617
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Makimera

Post by Makimera » Mon, 22. Dec 14, 13:27

like santi said, it's been free for 3 months, it ended on the 15th of december.
So if you want it now you have to pay for it.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”