Teladi DLC would have been free?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Spami
x4

Post by Spami » Fri, 16. Jan 15, 17:37

Night Nord wrote: Same goes here. The new DLC is hastily made pile of unfinished, untested, unthought content. It was made to raise more money, because they are running out of funds they've got from X:R sales.

So it can't be free for owners - as you've said not a lot of people are going to buy X:R + DLC. So only those who already own the game left. The basic idea behind DLC was to attract owners back to the game, so they will check it out in the new playable state and then use focks' radio to attract even more people to buy a DLC for funding.

I dunno if that's all worked, but steamdb says that there was no activity since the 3.1 release and EgoSoft is internally working via Steam, so no Steam activity means no activity at all. Which means that either EgoSoft run into funding problems or they are on extended holiday vacation all together.
That is one possible interpretation but keep in mind that this is yours and not an actual fact.
Personally I loled a lot when reading your text because I disagree with like anything you said but as I said "interpretations and speculations".

Yeah SteamDB says no activity since 3.1 because it was ****** Christmas and New Year! Didn't you got the memo?
Don't know how it is in your country but in Germany those days are holidays.

Also for a DLC containing mostly only new eye candy like new ships, stations and other you seem to have found a lot of bugs when calling it 'unfinished content'. I haven't found any missing parts on ships or stations, the number of Teladi ship classes is also correct.
I am confused what you actually want to point out.
Spami

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Night Nord
x4

Post by Night Nord » Fri, 16. Jan 15, 18:01

Yeah SteamDB says no activity since 3.1 because it was ****** Christmas and New Year! Didn't you got the memo?
Holidays are over for a few days already worldwide. And German holidays are over a long time ago (AFAIK they only have 1 january as a holiday. Google agrees with that).

So this is either an extended holidays, as i've said - which is quite possible, as it could be that whole EgoSoft team spend the whole year patching their game without any rest and now they just want some time off.
Also for a DLC containing mostly only new eye candy like new ships, stations and other you seem to have found a lot of bugs when calling it 'unfinished content'.
That's exactly what is missing - anything else, but a bunch of new ships. Bugs? Yes, a lot.

For instance: the new Teladi station seems to have a lot of problems with calculations, so any IZ calculations are forcing a otherwise powerful enough CPU on it's knees. It might be a also problem with LODs and rendering the station no matter which direction you are looking at (like it's BBOX is too big).

Just a fact of such a system exists from the very start make the main plot even more hilarious. Starting from "OHMYGODGATESAREACTIVATED!!!111" while you already have an active gate and ending with Xenon already present and mentioned in the galactapedia lore. Oh, and active FO->Omicron gate from the very start - so much for surprise later in the plot, when you enter the already well-known system.

TONS of UA/CAR pirate destroyers killing everything around and no one cares. No refuel stations - intersector economy within the system stalled and The Overwatch left without any water. The whole sector economy is pretty much dead and traders moving into Albion are rare.

Prices for Phoenixes are unbalanced with efforts to capture them and overall OOZ power compared to other destroyers.

In short: unbalanced, untested, unpolished. That's what I call unfinished.

You see - there is a tradition that EgoSoft release a new "addon" annually or so which have a bunch of new systems/ships and breaks pretty much everything else. It was like this for all the previous games. Eventually they'll fix everything, add more actual game content.

Of course, if you were expecting "Red boots DLC" - that's kinda what you've get. More or less.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 16. Jan 15, 23:54

@Night Nord

Re: No refueling station in TO

Ugh, actually the TU Overwatch station in Verdant Profit __IS__ both a SY, and a Refueling station, and to top it off, also a URV Wharf.

But I agree with most everything you wrote, and I hope that Ego fix the problems, especially the problem with UA/CAR Marauder Phoenix plundering player and TU freighters without any resistance/hindrance from TU's and player's patrolling cap ships.

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Sat, 17. Jan 15, 03:29

Tbh, i too, had to register the teladi dlc twice.
First time early November and then checked again early December to see when its coming out and to my surprise i had to register it again as it was deleted from my library.
Not to mention i have CE and steam prompts me to upgrade to CE !! :o

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Mon, 19. Jan 15, 17:10

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Going back to the Steam news article I was referring to...
Until the release of The Teladi Outpost in December, as a thank-you gift, all owners of X Rebirth can preorder the DLC for free!
That is pretty crystal clear in intent (at least the English translation of it is) and it would have taken all of a few seconds to add it to your library (hardly a case of rushing to do anything).
Sadly, the next day, another news states that Egosoft has changed their mind and decided to make it
free for everyone as "a thank-you gift for all X Rebirth owners."
. "Free for everyone", that's what I call crystal clear.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 19. Jan 15, 18:00

xleto2 wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Going back to the Steam news article I was referring to...
Until the release of The Teladi Outpost in December, as a thank-you gift, all owners of X Rebirth can preorder the DLC for free!
That is pretty crystal clear in intent (at least the English translation of it is) and it would have taken all of a few seconds to add it to your library (hardly a case of rushing to do anything).
Sadly, the next day, another news states that Egosoft has changed their mind and decided to make it
free for everyone as "a thank-you gift for all X Rebirth owners."
. "Free for everyone", that's what I call crystal clear.
The "everyone" remark was probably just to cover the both the users that "pre-ordered it"/"already owned it" and the later group of users that "bought and registered it before the deadline". Not a "free for everyone" in perpetuity, at no point have I seen a statement to say they lifted the "before DLC release" deadline for the free acquisition of it.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Mon, 19. Jan 15, 20:29

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:at no point have I seen a statement to say they lifted the "before DLC release" deadline for the free acquisition of it.
Again, you imply people should have read more about it. Simply put, one can conclude, after reading the latest news, that Egosoft has decided to make the DLC free for those who already own the game.

There's no reason to believe it has a time limit. It doesn't say people should read the forums or older news, nor does it say people should pre-order it. It's actually crystal clear and straightforward. Besides, both news even have basically the same title, so you wouldn't expect to learn something crucial in the older one.

So considering I pre-ordered the game (first and last time I do so), I didn't have any reason to make sure I had bought the game soon enough, and that was the only apparent requirement. After the initial debacle, it's quiet pathetic how they manage to rub some people the wrong way again with "gifts"...

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 19. Jan 15, 20:42

xleto2 wrote:There's no reason to believe it has a time limit. It doesn't say people should read the forums or older news, nor does it say people should pre-order it.
You don't have to read OLDER news, it was C.F.C. in the announcements/news in late Nov/early Dec leading up to the release.

The ONLY thing that possibly changed was they changed the availability to anyone that bought the game before the deadline providing they claimed the DLC before then. Egosoft's position wrt the deadline has been 100% clear since day 1.

TBH it sounds like some people are trying to palm off their own mistakes and blame Egosoft for something that is clearly and succinctly not their problem. If Egosoft were clearly at fault, I would be in support of those complaining but it is long overdue for some (the complainers) to accept the simple fact that themselves are the ones who erred.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Mon, 19. Jan 15, 21:34

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:You don't have to read OLDER news, it was C.F.C. in the announcements/news in late Nov/early Dec leading up to the release.

The ONLY thing that possibly changed was they changed the availability to anyone that bought the game before the deadline providing they claimed the DLC before then. Egosoft's position wrt the deadline has been 100% clear since day 1.

TBH it sounds like some people are trying to palm off their own mistakes and blame Egosoft for something that is clearly and succinctly not their problem. If Egosoft were clearly at fault, I would be in support of those complaining but it is long overdue for some (the complainers) to accept the simple fact that themselves are the ones who erred.
I don't know why you insist with that specific news, since as I've told you already, it became an "OLDER news" only one day after publication.

And how do you expect people to know "Egosoft's position wrt the deadline", if they don't read older news? That doesn't make sense...

But of course, some people like to complain and they're wrong, proof being you don't support them.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 19. Jan 15, 22:07

The steam news article of 12 December, with the "a thank-you gift for all X Rebirth owners" comment, was a reposting of a PCGamer article, rather than news provided directly by Egosoft. Not sure why anyone would think that news provided by a 3rd party would change the deadline for getting the free DLC.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 02:22

xleto2: As pointed out by GCU, THAT article was NOT an Egosoft report but a game mag/site report so means diddly squat in the grand scheme of things... if people can't understand the difference then perhaps they should stick to playing games that do not require you to actually THINK. :roll:

Egosoft have NEVER stated the deadline had been lifted, and if anyone is to blame for the content of the PC Gamer report it is not Egosoft but them. Either way, it does not change the fact that it is the individuals fundamentally at fault for not keeping themselves informed.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink... the player's are the horse in this context. :roll:

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 03:47

Slashman wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:The original announcement was on 26th September 2014 and originally the DLC was only going to be free for the first month after that announcement as I recall.

The announcement was also included in the Steam News thread for X-Rebirth as well so really if anyone did not see it, they really only have themselves to blame. It was no big secret as some seem to be trying to claim.

I do feel for those that missed the opportunity but you should take responsibility for your own actions (or lack there of). It is unreasonable to expect (and possibly inappropriate for) Egosoft to effectively (proverbially) go knocking on everyone's door and make sure they have kept up to date with the latest announcements/deals/sales.

Any potential bugs in Steam's system that may prevent users who did take notice and took the recommended action(s) from accessing the material is a whole separate issue.
I just don't get why they would even make that arbitrary rule for having it be limited time. Just make the pack free for all owners and be done with it.

Anyone looking to jump into Rebirth now is unlikely to buy the full-priced game along with a 9.99 DLC that doesn't add all that much. That's not saying it is worthless, but that's a $60 investment to get everything. Not sure how many people would find that enticing and worth the money for a game with this kind of stigma/reputation behind it.

Creative Assembly have released about 15-20 Paid DLC's in a year since their crappy release of Rome 2 and it hasn't stopped people buying their game.

But yeah, if People have X:Rebirth and have been away on business or real life things then Egosoft should allow them free access to the game.
The rest that hastily got a refund then tough titty.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

xleto2
x3

Post by xleto2 » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 07:00

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:xleto2: As pointed out by GCU, THAT article was NOT an Egosoft report but a game mag/site report so means diddly squat in the grand scheme of things... if people can't understand the difference then perhaps they should stick to playing games that do not require you to actually THINK. :roll:

Egosoft have NEVER stated the deadline had been lifted, and if anyone is to blame for the content of the PC Gamer report it is not Egosoft but them. Either way, it does not change the fact that it is the individuals fundamentally at fault for not keeping themselves informed.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make them drink... the player's are the horse in this context. :roll:
First of all, you can't blame that mag since they actually quoted the description given on the dlc pre-order page. It's still accessible with google cache. And it's just dumb, after blaming people for not reading the news regularly enough, to blame them for reading the wrong ones.

Also if you could actually think, you'd realize the people who didn't know about the deadline didn't think the deadline was lifted. It's hard to believe you've read a single comment of this thread, if you still don't understand some people hadn't heard of the deadline.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 10:19

xleto2 wrote:First of all, you can't blame that mag since they actually quoted the description given on the dlc pre-order page.
Actually you can, any kind of news publication has a responsibility to their audience to ensure that the information they publish is accurate and correct. If something they have printed is incorrect or inaccurate then they have a responsibility to ensure their audience is appropriately informed. The same rule applies if something is misleading, but IME the press (in general) rarely take appropriate corrective measures unless there is a law suit (or the threat of one) involved.

In any case, if you trust a single third party publication about something without verifying the facts yourself then you only have yourself to blame. The earlier official news from Egosoft mentions the deadline and they have never painted a retraction on said deadline thus the blame (if there is any to be fairly applied) is clear... it is with the third party publication and/or the reader.

nalim27
x4

Post by nalim27 » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:28

Night Nord wrote: I would suggest (once again) making a new X:whatever game (the X:R in the current state, essentially) as an early access game and raising funds for a future development in more open fashion. If people will know what they are paying for they'll be more eager to pay even for a promise of that. But EgoSoft still relying on the old scheme of "hyping" the product before the release, so people will build their own expectations to motivate them paying more.
That is really good post - I agree with you. But zero activity on Steam ends 5 days ago - something like X:Rebirth Tool is appeared together with X:Rebirth Soundtrack 2.
So after holidays "something" is happening again.
I think that modders will be more happy soon :-)
Mine rig - X4 ready :-) Windows 10 64b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clocks 3.7GHz + 4.3GHz boost), 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM,
GPU: AMD Vega64 8 GB HBM, played on 2569x1440, Freesync2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCI-ex

CPU before 1.7.2018: Intel Xeon E5450@3.6GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM,

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 20:19

The problem here is those that say "well you had plenty of opportunity, there were mails, articles" that couldn't been described as a Vogon notification.

Then there are people who come and say "hey, i bought this at purchase, i supported them from the start, believed i didn't need to wait and review or the price drop" egosoft are a bunch of bastards

And you know what, both sides are correct.

The only positive outcome that could ever come from this is ego deciding to release via date bought, dunno if they can actually do that.

If they decided a line had to be drawn, they tried a reasonable effort to placate existing users and keep their staff in moola then they also have the right to draw the line and i couldn't criticise them for it at all, business is business

Ultimately i declare this thread an "internet argument" and we all know what happens when you argue on the internet :)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 20:36

LV wrote:The only positive outcome that could ever come from this is ego deciding to release via date bought, dunno if they can actually do that.
I believe that this was covered much earlier in the thread, and the impression was that it was not possible to do as you suggest.

@All: I am not sure if Egosoft have access to who has and who has not got a valid license for X-Rebirth but one potential option (in theory) could have been to gift the DLC to known owners of the game while it was advertised for free (c/f how one user can gift software to another). If this were possible, then it would have perhaps avoided the current fracas over the missed opportunity by some. I suspect this was not possible but it would have been nice if it were.

The problem now is that it is pretty much water under the bridge, spilt milk, etc. However much some of us may sympathise with those that missed the opportunity, I also can not blame Egosoft for looking after their business interests.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 04:23

nalim27 wrote:
Night Nord wrote: I would suggest (once again) making a new X:whatever game (the X:R in the current state, essentially) as an early access game and raising funds for a future development in more open fashion. If people will know what they are paying for they'll be more eager to pay even for a promise of that. But EgoSoft still relying on the old scheme of "hyping" the product before the release, so people will build their own expectations to motivate them paying more.
That is really good post - I agree with you. But zero activity on Steam ends 5 days ago - something like X:Rebirth Tool is appeared together with X:Rebirth Soundtrack 2.
So after holidays "something" is happening again.
I think that modders will be more happy soon :-)
There's a couple of problems with this, but the most significant is this; Everything which makes Rebirth the game it is can be found within other games like Elite Dangerous, Echelon Mercenary, or Star Citizen. Even if we put aside the fact that most Space Sim lovers have now invested their money elsewhere, certainly every friend I know who played X:Games no longer do, Egosoft would have to contend with the recent damage done to their reputation. There's also the fact that many people who invest generally expect a DRM version of a game, not offering one would severely cut the number of potential investors.
There are other money making options available to them ....

I noticed the second soundtrack, I'd hoped it was the FLAC version but it simply seems to be a duplicate of the first MP3 soundtrack.
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 05:12

ScamCitzen dont go be ready util 2020 - okay 2016

EliteDangerous failed in economy simulation i feel so artificial without any chain production price sometimes going up and down i have no idea why
But fews things like size station - population and quest also to expand station consume/supply very cool but most time price are static except one player are same station you(open or solo dont matter)
Example if any player trade sames station you price fluctuation
if not price are static for rest life dont matter if you vanish for week and back(no oversupply)
*I see station envolve Medium to Large but never See Station Large to medium probably if after much pirates
** Like X-rebirth station cant be destroyed and Ships magical Respaw Both things need END if you want space sim

Except i feel universe X-rebirth bit BIGGER
and Dynamic

1 - I wish see shipyard build to stations/war (real war did but guy vanish)
2 - Need more thousands minor faction each one with one station or fleet
this minor faction have wallets to buy ship and build stations expand or exterminate (Litcube on X3 do it)

In overall i feel X-rebirth great , and now i learn how mod since i love it and spend so many times so many game reset(testing mods , not bugitself)

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 05:29

vadiolive wrote: In overall i feel X-rebirth great , and now i learn how mod since i love it and spend so many times so many game reset(testing mods , not bugitself)
That's the X3 series for me.
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”