Hacking Attempt has been detected - Resolved

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kkwaters

ok.

Post by kkwaters » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:16

not to be rude, but that is exactly what I am trying to point out. my game is not behaving like every other game. there is no way in creation the game would be released with a plot stopper this hard to figure out even if it was gameplay.
"Reality is the Ultimate Role-Playing Game"

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:19

Have you managed to get the moving line to stop anywhere within the bar? As it is moving towards the right, for example?

edit: just read that again and realized that it sounds kind of insulting. Sorry, wasn't my intention. Just trying to establish the cause of the problem.
Last edited by w.evans on Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:25

The thing is that we don't know what, how or exactly when you are clicking. Is your button press being registered at all and where does the moving cursor or bracket stop?

From the manual: "The goal of the mini game is to get as high score as possible. When the pulse [1] starts moving the player should try
to lock the pulse at the highest point of the graph [2]. Player locks the pulse by pressing LMB (or A-button)."
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Thufar
x4

Post by Thufar » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:26

Taking a shot in the dark here... last weekend I was doing a hack. Instead of doing the single click to start the hack, I accidentally double-clicked, therefore selecting the start position before the bar moved across the screen. Needless to say I failed the hacking attempt. Is this the issue here? Again - shot in the dark.
Regards,
Thu

kkwaters

thanks you guys, all of you for your help

Post by kkwaters » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:44

well, I will try it again, using either the 'A' button and/or the LMB.
was wondering if the manual had more explanation, as I am a steam customer and never even saw the manual, this could very well be a case of RTFM, I will let you know as soon as I am done testing it out.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:51

Just checked the manual. There doesn't appear to be anything on hacking, but there is a small section on the smalltalk mini-game. It's the same minigame, so that should help. A bit.

You could access the manual in the page of your game in your steam library. It's on the menu on the right.

kkwaters

wow

Post by kkwaters » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 19:57

ok, so the key that I was pressing during the mini-game was the wrong key, specifically it needed to be the LMB. So, it was PEBCAK issue as well as poor documentation of the game.(IMNSHO) To make the matter worse, was the Video on youtube that shows how to do the Trojan ROV does not dwell very long on the mini game itself, and assumes you have RTFM before going on with his vid. Actually he does not say how to do the mini game, or use the LMB. I realize that is not a Egosoft responsibility. Thank you dear Sirs for your time.
I will read the Flipping Manual cover to cover before proceeding with this game.

Hugs.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 21:29

kkwaters: FWIW <Enter> works on my k/b to stop the minigame cursor; other keys may work as well (most likely <Space> but I haven't checked as I use LMB most often..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

jockthejake

Not exactly on topic but close

Post by jockthejake » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 17:55

Hi Guys.
On the subject of the mini-game. Is there some parameter than can be tweaked to slow the moving light bar down?
I ask because an old fella like me doesn't have quite the lightening like reflexes of the younger set and its so pigging annoying when I've had 4 successful hacks only to miss and have to flee the area before the Cops show up.
Not that I'm a thieving sort of person, but sometimes its good to be Bad!
Thanks.
jock.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Thu, 22. Jan 15, 18:35

Another old fella asked me to cook up a mod for him to help with this problem. Was my very first mod. It's over here. Might help. Cheaty, though.

kgkosio
x4

Post by kgkosio » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 01:57

Is there a specific node you need to hack?

When I did the mission, one of the nodes appeared different from the rest, I hacked that node. After 3 or 4 successes, the mission was complete.
Fan of the save game manager by badger
Best Steam DiD death: Fly into a TL repeatatly while repairing it

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 02:03

kgk: which mission are you attempting? Hacking nodes in-station gives you the option of which node to hack, & the results (production, defence etc). Hacking outside of station may leave you time-limited, but you can still choose what to hack (turrets, shields etc)
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

kgkosio
x4

Post by kgkosio » Sat, 24. Jan 15, 01:07

Sorry, this was the first plot mission that required a hacking drone.

After I hacked a spot, one of the other spots changed. So I choose the spot that looked different, even though it was on the other end of the station.

i was just wondering if it was necessary to choose the different looking spot, or if I could have moved on to a spot closer to the previous one.
Fan of the save game manager by badger
Best Steam DiD death: Fly into a TL repeatatly while repairing it

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 24. Jan 15, 04:39

AFAIK (I'm useless at these minigames, so I tend to avoid them) all you need to do is hack successfully 5 times. Unless you're after a specific area/thing (station defence, production, WHY) it doesn't matter /what/ you hack, just that it be successful

I'm sure others here will jump on me if I'm wrong ;)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”