(Will/Do you want) next DLC include a buildable Personal HUB/Shipyard for player?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you want Shipyard / Personal Hub for next DLC?

Poll ended at Thu, 29. Oct 15, 19:01

Yes
75%
No
14%
Other (describe)
10%

Total votes: 69

ezra-r
x4

(Will/Do you want) next DLC include a buildable Personal HUB/Shipyard for player?

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 20:01

I'd like to ask Egosoft about this.

I really miss what we had in previous iterations of X games, a personal shipyard of shorts, or something that allow us build our own ships from templates or reverse engineering, so we can build all sorts of ships.

Also, for a resource limited universe, we all have suffered being sort of fusion reactors, reinforced metal plating and the likes, but we keep capturing lots of ships generally....
Wouldn't it be great to recover resources from captures by recycling captured ships?

Personal shipyard/Station would really add a layer on top of "build your empire" goal in Vanilla, because you have got to fill it up from scratch, while Rebirth cheats many resources in and aside from fusion reactors and two others, NPC Shipyards are already filled up, so working to fill them is not quite as satisfying, as making yourself into a fully blown corporation from zero.

What do you guys think?

PS: I know there is a MOD for a shipyard. But not quite what I'm decribing, and this post is about VANILLA exclusively.
Last edited by ezra-r on Wed, 14. Oct 15, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 20:15

Voted other. Whilst I like the idea of player owned shipyards and ship recycling, it's the fact there are mods for player shipyards, ship recycling and station recycling that mean they are lower priority for me compared to things like fleet management. I also think that things such as these fall outside of the scope of DLCs though. More likely potential considerations for a sequel.

Edit: When I said "sequel" I was thinking of Rebirth patches in the same context (not just sequels).
Last edited by Sparky Sparkycorp on Thu, 15. Oct 15, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 20:26

And yet another thread being derailed by the "but I want this other thing first" comment. Please stick to debating the topic at hand and not bringing other irrelevant comments into it. It's up to Egosoft to prioritize, not you or I. These kinds of comments only serve to derail an otherwise interesting topic. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 20:33

Duck tape, should be in the next DLC.

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 21:00

A mobile shipyard/station/mothership as a player HQ would be cool.

Or a space elevator station in a low orbit zone like Radiant Haven, Maybe above swirling atmosphere, or a jungle planet.
Last edited by werewolves? on Wed, 14. Oct 15, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 21:00

I like the features so "no" was not appropriate but since I have other priorities and Egosoft have indicated that new features probably wouldn't be part of a DLC, "yes" was not suitable for me either. We were asked to describe why we might vote "other". I'm sorry you didn't think my post was appropriate, Nanook.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 21:21

I would indeed like a safe haven base as a DLC as long as I can assign working ships to it and maybe keep various personnel there too. Then the assigned ships should automatically return there after trading or mining etc, where they can stay safe and protected (perhaps located in an Empty Space zone) until retasked.

Building and recycling there would be nice too but perhaps is a bit ambitious for this current game DLC.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 22:12

Vote no for DLC.

Vote yes as patch feature!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 14. Oct 15, 22:23

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:I like the features so "no" was not appropriate but since I have other priorities and Egosoft have indicated that new features probably wouldn't be part of a DLC, "yes" was not suitable for me either. We were asked to describe why we might vote "other". I'm sorry you didn't think my post was appropriate, Nanook.
If you'd presented a reason that you didn't like the idea of what the OP presented, that's fine. Nothing in the OP asked us to prioritize what he suggested, just whether you liked his idea or not. Everytime someone gives a 'reason' for not liking an idea that's just a "but I want this first", the thread gets hijacked into a discussion of that other thing. Give the OP a bit of respect and give valid reasons for liking or not liking his idea, rather than presenting the same old tired argument about wanting something else first. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Thu, 15. Oct 15, 03:10

1) Multiple player ships.

2) Real wars( where ships invade and take over sector as well as possibility to destroy stations).

3) Real economy (where AI can build or abandon stations do to supply and demand ).

4) Expanding uneverse. If uneverse economy increase so should uverse it self. Random generated sectors or even solar systems should appear. So for example if im mining one sector and i run out of ore i should go somewhere else to mine...

5) Real pirates ( pirate board ships and take cargo for their shipyards operations). Also you can become piret or pay them not to atack you). Like paying mafia protection money ;)

This is just some of things i want to see... But i don't think ill ever se them in XR :(
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Thu, 15. Oct 15, 11:46

I voted no ...
I agree both with ezra-r and Sparky.
A base of what ever description is fundamental to the game from which all expansions flow....In fact I would prefer to find a neglected Base than a derelict ship and start to build/expand from that point onwards....(oooops slight personal opinion/diversion...but only in the context of a new game.)
As for inclusion within a DLC at this late stage of Rebirth's evolution I would consider it too much work and too late.
Not wishing to wake the sleeping White Bear I will leave it there.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Thu, 15. Oct 15, 12:52

Other : I'd rather have a flag ship that can produce things like ships and weapons.

Not opposed to a player HQ or SY I just happen to think it could be improved on from the X3 iteration. I suppose ideally you'd want both i.e. a zone strategically selected and defended by you and your allies where you have valuable assets and something that is mobile too.

I would suggest at this point Egosoft has probably decided on what is in/out of the next (possibly last) XR DLC already.

vkerinav
x3ap

Post by vkerinav » Thu, 15. Oct 15, 16:28

Sign me up for the 'HQ is patch material' team. I'm not sure where I'd put it on the list of priorities, but I don't think we should have to pay for it.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 15. Oct 15, 17:45

'Other' - not fundamentally opposed to the introduction of a player-owned shipyard, however it's not something I particularly care that much about & would be a bit disappointed if it was DLC (probably would not buy). I expect such things to be more substantial than just a single station, though can't really say more than that due to Rule 9.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 15. Oct 15, 18:34

Yes, especially if we have to develop in other ways than just expanding a new module.

Few ideas (most came from earlier posts):
-Make some special quests to acquire schematics for neat expansions
-Allow reverse engineering of captured ships to add them to the build list
-Allow recycling ships to acquire hard to get resources
-Research module for HQ? That would be some cool way to directly generate credits: (Lore: develop some new techs for other factions, so they pay you for it. It adds some ware consumption to the station, and eventually unlock new ships/upgrades to be build in the shipyard, or some new upgrades for your ship.)

Yeah... that last idea is pretty far-fetched. Maybe in some future game?
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 16. Oct 15, 00:50

Just started to play Metal Gear Solid V( this game is awesome )...... Anyway i think ego could do something simular for XR HQ . They did pretty good job for Mother Bace. In XR we could send our ships to do similar missions like in MGSV to gain rep,ships,crew or even materials. Im amazed how this can be addictive :D
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Makkenhoff
x4

Post by Makkenhoff » Fri, 16. Oct 15, 01:03

I voted no.

My reasons, briefly:

1. I don't like the idea of DLC.
1a. It gives companies inventive to only provide content patches for cash.
1b. It also may cause game features to be delayed for use as DLC.
1c. It detracts from the traditional development cycle.

2. Limited Resources
2a. Rebirth is by design, limited in resources due to story events.
2b. Recycling spawning ships is, at best, wildly unbalancing by that design.

3. Timing
3a. Any DLC that would be started on now, wouldn't be finished and out to market in a reasonable time.
3b. Distracting from current project(s).

4. Marketing
4a. Cost vs Profit Estimates of new DLC
4b. Reception vs Purchase of existing DLC

I'd like to point out that I have nothing against the idea of player HQ and shipyards. I just have found them to be rather shallow, even in the prior X3 games.

At best, I used them as a personal "all in one" hangar. I would build a single ship at a time. It was simply far easier to just buy them at a shipyard. Sure, it might be slightly cheaper, but it definitely never saved me any time. The only time I really used it was to build ships that I had to reverse engineer in order to produce, because the shipyard didn't sell that particular one. (Mostly talking Medusa Prototype here)

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Fri, 16. Oct 15, 10:14

Nikola515 wrote:1) Multiple player ships.

2) Real wars( where ships invade and take over sector as well as possibility to destroy stations).

3) Real economy (where AI can build or abandon stations do to supply and demand ).

4) Expanding uneverse. If uneverse economy increase so should uverse it self. Random generated sectors or even solar systems should appear. So for example if im mining one sector and i run out of ore i should go somewhere else to mine...

5) Real pirates ( pirate board ships and take cargo for their shipyards operations). Also you can become piret or pay them not to atack you). Like paying mafia protection money ;)

This is just some of things i want to see... But i don't think ill ever se them in XR :(
/agree 100% for it i pay other full price game

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Fri, 16. Oct 15, 13:15

Makkenhoff wrote:I voted no.

My reasons, briefly:

2. Limited Resources

3. Timing
3a. Any DLC that would be started on now, wouldn't be finished and out to market in a reasonable time.

4. Marketing

I'd like to point out that I have nothing against the idea of player HQ and shipyards. I just have found them to be rather shallow, even in the prior X3 games.

At best, I used them as a personal "all in one" hangar. I would build a single ship at a time. It was simply far easier to just buy them at a shipyard. Sure, it might be slightly cheaper, but it definitely never saved me any time. The only time I really used it was to build ships that I had to reverse engineer in order to produce, because the shipyard didn't sell that particular one. (Mostly talking Medusa Prototype here)
I'd like to comment on two of your points.

About DLC, I'm the in the same boat as you but...
Egosoft has been patching for long without releasing much new, they need new income and they announced new expansion (dlc) and new game coming later on, this imo helps them keep in business, they are a small company. But in the sense of DLC as in EA DLC's which are released on day one, for specific items and crapnot, I don't ever supposed those. Think of this as a expansion as there have always been, before the DLC thing was ever used.

About limited resources, exactly because of that recycling should be a must, how must you ever cope with the lack of resources if it isn't with recycling or other methods? otherwise you just have to wait pointlessly, or just pirate, things that become too repetitive if you just can do that. Suppose you are an honest trader/entrepenour and want to build a huge station (URV BTo or ship tech fab) but resources are scarce, how you get them? Waiting.. Waiting for too long while you try to "game" is not fun. I really don't see that as unbalancing.

Last but not least important, having your own means to be totally independent help you to play the role of another company. Even with mods that allow me to have a shipyard and such I have had to play for more than 6 game time days to achieve a whole cycle of most needed products for building my own empire... How is that unbalanced?

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 16. Oct 15, 16:35

Makkenhoff wrote:I voted no.

My reasons, briefly:

2. Limited Resources

3. Timing

4. Marketing

I voted Yes but after reading your post, you're Right, so scrub my vote to a No.

Stick to the Expansion Model, no Dlc unless it's freelc.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”