Npc Blabber blab and other annoying stuff.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dfm5000

Npc Blabber blab and other annoying stuff.

Post by dfm5000 » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 15:07

This has to be one of the stupidest thing in X-Rebirth so far, when an npc opens his or her or it's mouth. All controls are frozen, far worst in the campaign.

Yisha at one point can get you killed during the tank mission in Devries, "I can't believe we pulled that off" as the ship is exploding.

Player controls do not need to be frozen, saving shouldn't be disabled.

You have 15 seconds before a squadron, of 30 fighters get in range to kill you, but have to wait 2mins before your stupid captain can stop chatting long enough to tell him to jump in.

Tattle tails interrupting chat to report you for being an ahole every 30 seconds needs a hotkey to flick off.

A Space ship with one functional display is mental, this is basically a Mig-29, can't receive messages, view the map and view radar. I would be ok to have this silly 1 screen thing if messages or video weren't forced and you could click the screen to view the message or video. This would actually fix the annoying tattles to.

I could ofc do all those things in X3, but ofc none of this is possible in X3's handicapped child.

But if I had a choice since this game is still Beta, i'd ask for all the ship commands available in previous games.

One like Freight exchange between the skunk and other ships and factory's. Cause it's almost genius to not be able to trade Nova drones from a freighter who has 20000 of them.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 15:23

As a level 3 user you should be aware that this type of interruption/distraction issue is being discussed currently in the Public Beta forum and thread where there is far more likelihood of getting a response or reaction from the devs.

Good luck with getting a cargohauler drone to dock with the Skunk regarding your point about direct trade of ammunition with other ships or stations. While direct internal player resupply would indeed be nice, it seems the Arms Dealers have the monopoly on licenced activated ammo supply and the necessary station transport pods. In practice there are several examples where broadly equivalent trade wares, inventory wares and ammunition stocks have different forms of handling according to context.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Wed, 25. Jan 17, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 15:34

While they are not panacea, here are at least a few decent solutions.
-"SilenceYouAll" mod, from Pref. It will cut out most of the useless repetitive chatter, and keep just a few key useful ones.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=383812
It won't help with the campaign chatter, but it will at least make every other NPC interaction as fluid as can be. It was quite the sanity saver for me, actually.

-The problem with Yisha getting you killed actually appeared when they accelerated all the superhighways with version 4.0. Before that, the whole conversation happened while in the highway, where you were safe. You might want to mention it in the 4.10 beta forum, since it's pretty much clear it's an unintended bug.

-Assign a hotkey to change the radar display. (I personally keep a joystick button just for that.) It will remove whatever info's on the screen and switch back to the radar. You will have to do it many times in a row if you get a lot of messages, though.

No, those are not perfect solution, and yes, we'd like to see official fixes for those points. But it's somewhere to start looking if these problems are really killing your fun.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 16:57

ShutUpRen + SilenceYouAll mods should solve your issues with NPC bable. I can't play without them anymore - vanilla NPC bable puch me at the edge of insanity.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 17:46

None of those two mods fix the inane, and sometimes longwinded, babble when an employee comes back aboard the Skunk, however. And considering how many times that can happen in a game, it becomes very annoying very fast. And it also cannot be interrupted with the radar trick. :evil:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

dfm5000

Post by dfm5000 » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 19:15

Alan Phipps wrote:As a level 3 user you should be aware that this type of interruption/distraction issue is being discussed currently in the Public Beta forum and thread where there is far more likelihood of getting a response or reaction from the devs.

Good luck with getting a cargohauler drone to dock with the Skunk regarding your point about direct trade of ammunition with other ships or stations. While direct internal player resupply would indeed be nice, it seems the Arms Dealers have the monopoly on licenced activated ammo supply and the necessary station transport pods. In practice there are several examples where broadly equivalent trade wares, inventory wares and ammunition stocks have different forms of handling according to context.
No I wasn't aware, I joined in hopes of taking part in an early alpha X4 but I haven't had the time to explore into it as much as I would have liked. But thanks for the link, and you wouldn't need a cargo drone; you could simply dock at the freighter.

I think an easy solution to this would be an npc arms manager. Once docked you speed to the arms manager to trade with the skunk, or resupply missile frigates.

dfm5000

Post by dfm5000 » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 19:19

mr.WHO wrote:ShutUpRen + SilenceYouAll mods should solve your issues with NPC bable. I can't play without them anymore - vanilla NPC bable puch me at the edge of insanity.
I saw this mod not to long ago, I spoke with the Modder; it does take care of somethings but not the important things like the scenes where it could end with your death.

I hate seeing that game over logo after being killed because I can't move, I just exit the game before I end up throwing a chair through my monitor.

dfm5000

Post by dfm5000 » Wed, 25. Jan 17, 19:24

Ezarkal wrote:While they are not panacea, here are at least a few decent solutions.
-"SilenceYouAll" mod, from Pref. It will cut out most of the useless repetitive chatter, and keep just a few key useful ones.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=383812
It won't help with the campaign chatter, but it will at least make every other NPC interaction as fluid as can be. It was quite the sanity saver for me, actually.

-The problem with Yisha getting you killed actually appeared when they accelerated all the superhighways with version 4.0. Before that, the whole conversation happened while in the highway, where you were safe. You might want to mention it in the 4.10 beta forum, since it's pretty much clear it's an unintended bug.

-Assign a hotkey to change the radar display. (I personally keep a joystick button just for that.) It will remove whatever info's on the screen and switch back to the radar. You will have to do it many times in a row if you get a lot of messages, though.

No, those are not perfect solution, and yes, we'd like to see official fixes for those points. But it's somewhere to start looking if these problems are really killing your fun.
It's not just Yisha though that encyclopedia update can freeze you as well it doesn't hide your ship while you view it, so while your frozen in it pirates or pmc are zapping you into next week.

But yea now that I know about that forum i'll post their.

ltdan81
x3ap

Post by ltdan81 » Tue, 25. Apr 17, 23:58

Ezarkal wrote: -Assign a hotkey to change the radar display. (I personally keep a joystick button just for that.) It will remove whatever info's on the screen and switch back to the radar. You will have to do it many times in a row if you get a lot of messages, though.
Thank you so very much for this tip... I've been looking for ever for anything to to work around my issue. :)

BUT!! As you said we still need fixes.
In addition to the infoscreen being tied up, this also make playing with a gamepad total hell in late game because everything is activated with button "A"

i.e.
Pilots calling to complain while in the middle of a battle, I hit "A" to dock to dodge incoming fire and a dialouge menu pops up... WTH!?!?

Or

On a boarding op and hit "A" to get the menu to board... but, you just picked up a crate so your inventory window pops up... Seriously? How the heck has this problem remained after these YEARS since the failed launch of this game... granted the game has actually become pretty decent with the DLC and some player made mods, but issues like this just shouldn't still be present.

A seemingly easy fix to this secondary issue, edit the control mapping so that the "B" button can be used for these interactions while flying. Currently it's mapped to "back" by default and my attempt to remap it something useful
breaks the control map because of all the things invisably tied together.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 15:28

When I started playing XR, I was solely on gamepad. I eventually ran into the same problem as you: Lack of buttons for shortcuts. And I think until it's possible to use imputs in combination (LB + A/B/X/Y to generate for possible commands from the LB button), I 'll keep running into that snag with this kind of game. Ship control are near perfect, but empire management controls tends to be limited.

My X life changed when I bought my joystick. It doesn't have that much more buttons than my gamepad, but it makes it way easier to access keyboard shortcuts since one of your hand is mostly free.
It took some time to adapt, and some serious tweaking to my playing habits, but I ended up having a much easier time.
(I still have a few minor problems with hacker drones and such, but I use them so little I just stopped trying to optimize)
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”