Performance on Ryzen?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

foxxbl
x4

Performance on Ryzen?

Post by foxxbl » Thu, 9. Mar 17, 23:15

Soon I am switching to AMD Ryzen, so I am interested how will X:R will perform on the Ryzen, and is its game engine already optimized for 6 or 8 core CPU (with SMT)?

Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks!

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 00:08

I was wondering if anyone had tested this myself.

I recall one of the developer videos long before release about how X Rebirth was coded for "Computers of the future" which was in reference to how it could take advantage of up to 32 threads and, one assumed, gain benefit from it. With Ryzen 7's 8 core and 16 threads I'd hope it'd run really well on Ryzen.

Note: on my i7 2600k, which is 4 cores / eight threads, I don't ever see one core being hugely loaded vs. the others. Rather I have a couple of slightly busier cores, with the rest fairly even. No particular core is in any way pushed. This suggests that the slightly lower IPC and frequency of Ryzen vs. say a 7700k won't be a handicap in any way with Rebirth.

I'd of course love to read of someones first-hand experience, if there are any player out there who've made the jump :)

Scoob.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 13:32

I have asked the same question in OffTopic here:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=394206
in a nutshell, no one on those 3 pages has a Ryzen processor but an opinnion.
Not even Egosoft as it seems, Lino would have answered something else otherwise.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 10. Mar 17, 13:46

I think the problem or delay is a lack of motherboards ...

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 11. Mar 17, 01:41

Yeah, maybe. :)
I would have thought at least CBJ got one, he showed most interest in hardware stuff in the past. I am dissappointed. :(
(Just trying something out here) CBJ CBJ CBJ
:D

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 11. Mar 17, 12:21

My current PC is only about 7 months old, so I'm afraid it will be a while before I get to try out anything new. Not that I'm complaining; this PC is both fast and amazingly quiet, which are my two main priorities. :)

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 12. Mar 17, 15:13

CBJ wrote:My current PC is only about 7 months old, so I'm afraid it will be a while before I get to try out anything new. Not that I'm complaining; this PC is both fast and amazingly quiet, which are my two main priorities. :)
Can you not do a Ryzen build as a business expense, it's important to ensure things run on the new hardware of course.... ;)

Scoob.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 14. Mar 17, 13:24

It worked (*-*)
Okay, well we have to jump in at the deep end and try it out by ourselfs.

I am still waiting for the 6 or 4 core versions in Q2...

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

foxxbl
x4

Post by foxxbl » Tue, 14. Mar 17, 14:19

Tamina wrote:It worked (*-*)
Okay, well we have to jump in at the deep end and try it out by ourselfs.

I am still waiting for the 6 or 4 core versions in Q2...
Yeah like myself.. R5-1600x will be sufficient for all my gaming and development purposes.

I am really interested how will X:R prove on it, as it is really CPU heavy.

Anyone knows how to best benchmark the X:R to have consistent results, I want to do it on my old rig (OC'd AMD Phenom II X4) before moving to Ryzen.

foxxbl
x4

Post by foxxbl » Tue, 14. Mar 17, 14:27

Tamina wrote:I have asked the same question in OffTopic here:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=394206
in a nutshell, no one on those 3 pages has a Ryzen processor but an opinion.
Not even Egosoft as it seems, Lino would have answered something else otherwise.
Thanks Tamina, good that that discussion is at the Off-topic forum, makes no sense to argue about the architecture without real experience on the Ryzen architecture, and X:R performance on it.

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 13:14

So, after a few months of break from XR (to play Kerbal Space Program), I've fired up XR on my shiny new Ryzen build this weekend :-)

Full specs here, highlights:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
  • AMD Radeon R9 380 (MSI Gaming, 4GB)
  • 16GB DRR4-3000 (currently running at 2667MHz due Ryzen's mem compatibility problems, bios updates have already helped me up from 2133)
  • 512 GB Toshiba/OCZ RD400 NVMe ssd.
I have the impression that loading times are way better, with less stuttering in-game compared to my previous AMD FX-6300 (PileDriver 6core), also with 16GB DDR3 oniRAM, using the exact same videocard.
Of course, CPU performance from Piledriver->Ryzen is comparing mice to elephants.
I also believe the SSD upgrade is to blame for loading speeds.

If there is interest in specific things to try/measure while running XR, please let me know, I'd be happy to try stuff (within reason). This offer also extends to EgoSoft: If there's any specific things you'd like to know, benchmarks to try, or patches to test; I'd be glad to be of service!

I just looked at CPU-usage while I was boarding a Titurel, it seems I'm mostly using 4 threads, with a lot of background "noise" on the other 12.

P.S. Please refrain from commenting that this is "not a good gaming build" etc (I get a lot of flak for that) This is my new deluxe PC that should last a few years, it's balanced for professional use: software development and scientific applications (gaming nice plus ;-) )

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 23. Apr 17, 21:18

CulunTse wrote:16GB DRR4-3000 (currently running at 2667MHz due Ryzen's mem compatibility problems, bios updates have already helped me up from 2133)
Have you tried entering the timings and the voltage, manually.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Mon, 24. Apr 17, 08:13

Not manually, but the Mainboard is intelligent enough to detect the (Intel) XMP profiles, and use those settings for timing and voltage.
Choosing the "D.O.C.P. 2933" profile (translated XMP) results in not booting, and bios beeps.
It is known that the (brand spanking new) memory controller has issues with higher memory frequencies, especially for dual-rank modules (which mine turned out to be). I'm already running faster than the official specs say i could :-)
It's probably also tied to the fact that the Ryzen "infinity fabric" (internal CPU bus that ties the two quadcore CCX modules together) runs at the same speed as the memory. So it's not just the RAM that they must overclock, but also their counterpart to Intel's ringbus.

This is not too different from when Intel switched to DDR4, it took them a while to get the best performance/clocks too.

nalim27
x4

Post by nalim27 » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 20:29

Hello,

I described performance comparison old Intel Core vs Ryzen in this post: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=399178

I know first or second generation of Intel Core architecture is not same as Skylake or Canonlake architecture but still it shows something.
Mine rig - X4 ready :-) Windows 10 64b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clocks 3.7GHz + 4.3GHz boost), 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM,
GPU: AMD Vega64 8 GB HBM, played on 2569x1440, Freesync2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCI-ex

CPU before 1.7.2018: Intel Xeon E5450@3.6GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM,

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 21:08

@nalim27, thanks for that post! i'm building (or trying to get the parts to build) a new machine and was considering going with the i7-8700k, but after reading your post, i'm taking another serious look at the Ryzen 2700x. Your post seemed more credible to me than reviews i found online so far who say that the Ryzen's great, and that it's good for video editing, and well, of course they'll like it then because they make videos so often.

nalim27
x4

Post by nalim27 » Tue, 10. Jul 18, 23:44

w.evans wrote:@nalim27, thanks for that post! i'm building (or trying to get the parts to build) a new machine and was considering going with the i7-8700k, but after reading your post, i'm taking another serious look at the Ryzen 2700x. Your post seemed more credible to me than reviews i found online so far who say that the Ryzen's great, and that it's good for video editing, and well, of course they'll like it then because they make videos so often.
Hello,
please beware that I compared very old Intel! I'm sure that i7-8700k will have different results !
I choose AMD because:
1. I want support competition company
2. AMD AM4 motherboard will in future (2019 and maybe even 2020) allow to next generation Ryzen CPU, and maybe generation after that. So in 4 years, when X4 will be fully patched :-) , I can significantly increase CPU power of mine PC by bought some 12 core Ryzen 3.
That is not possible on Intel platform - if you buy now i7-8700k then after 4 years if you want to upgrade you will must buy Intel ix-10700k but also new motherboard and maybe even new RAM. So upgrade will be more costly
3. AMD CPU is cheaper that equivalent Intel.

Please if anyone using Intel Haswell, Skylake, Kabylake or Coffelake in X:R I really want to compare it with Ryzen.

To have the same test conditions I suggest to use some game save from late game in big and populated sector (the same save on your Intel and mine Ryzen platform) and watch FPS during slow Skunks 360 clockwise rotation.
That should be enough to compare performance.

So please is there anyone who want to test it?
Mine rig - X4 ready :-) Windows 10 64b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clocks 3.7GHz + 4.3GHz boost), 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM,
GPU: AMD Vega64 8 GB HBM, played on 2569x1440, Freesync2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCI-ex

CPU before 1.7.2018: Intel Xeon E5450@3.6GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM,

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”