Give it another try

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 08:26

RAVEN.myst wrote:
RainerPrem wrote: One question concerning the Taranis: Is it better to sell it and buy a "real" freighter instead or does this ship have any advantages apart from being an oversized taxi?
The Taranis is a very capable combat ship, a light/medium destroyer.

Basically, it's up to you. If you do take it to DeVries with you, it can be invaluable for helping to deal with those large Reiver raiding parties (if you are playing on Very Hard difficulty, those can be a significant PitA!)

Hi,

just to give you some context: I'm playing this game basically for the first time (started once and stopped before the Taranis boarding). So "Very Hard" is very far in my future.

I however played thousands oh hours X2 and X3 up to AP. So if the Taranis is a fighter and not a freighter, how can I outfit it with weapons? Meeting a ship outfitter on one of the shipyards?

And for the commands: Should I have it follow me wherever I go in case I meet some Reivers?

cu
Rainer

Edit: Fixed quote - Sparks

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 11:01

RainerPrem wrote:So if the Taranis is a fighter and not a freighter, how can I outfit it with weapons? Meeting a ship outfitter on one of the shipyards?

And for the commands: Should I have it follow me wherever I go in case I meet some Reivers?
When you capture that ship, it comes fully armed. If any of those armaments were destroyed during the fight/boarding op, the assigned engineer will eventually repair them all. (To answer your question in a more general sense: when buying a ship at a shipyard, you can order the weapons then and there, and there's really little reason not to, as unfortunately unlike in previous Xs, you can't pick and choose the weapons - each ship has a standard configuration, so your options boil down to "have this gun or don't have it" - obviously, the answer is basically always "have it". If, for whatever reason, a ship you have doesn't have a full complement of surface elements, then you can use the Modify Ship => Upgrade option at the ship dealer to rectify the situation.)

If you decide to take the Taranis with you to Albion, then you may want to add it to your squad. It will then by default follow you around. My own preference, when I have any nimble capital ships with me, is to actually stay docked on my favourite and order the captain to go wherever I need to, thus getting chauffeured around. :D I then undock if/when I need to visit a station, or get my own hands dirty with something. IMPORTANT: Be careful with your military ships when in Albion, which is now semi-hostile territory to you. Because PMC will now shoot your military ships on sight, it's not a good idea to travel around in/with such (well, other than your Skunk itself) - when moving around Albion, if you want to ride in style, use a capital freighter, such as your Rahanas, for example (later on, a Lepton is a nice alternative - good cargo types, very quick and nimble, and easier to dock with than a Rahanas.)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 11:56

RAVEN.myst wrote:
RainerPrem wrote:So if the Taranis is a fighter and not a freighter, how can I outfit it with weapons? Meeting a ship outfitter on one of the shipyards?

When you capture that ship, it comes fully armed. If any of those armaments were destroyed during the fight/boarding op, the assigned engineer will eventually repair them all. (To answer your question in a more general sense: when buying a ship at a shipyard, you can order the weapons then and there, and there's really little reason not to, as unfortunately unlike in previous Xs, you can't pick and choose the weapons - each ship has a standard configuration, so your options boil down to "have this gun or don't have it" - obviously, the answer is basically always "have it". If, for whatever reason, a ship you have doesn't have a full complement of surface elements, then you can use the Modify Ship => Upgrade option at the ship dealer to rectify the situation.)

If you decide to take the Taranis with you to Albion, then you may want to add it to your squad. It will then by default follow you around. My own preference, when I have any nimble capital ships with me, is to actually stay docked on my favourite and order the captain to go wherever I need to, thus getting chauffeured around. :D I then undock if/when I need to visit a station, or get my own hands dirty with something. IMPORTANT: Be careful with your military ships when in Albion, which is now semi-hostile territory to you. Because PMC will now shoot your military ships on sight, it's not a good idea to travel around in/with such (well, other than your Skunk itself) - when moving around Albion, if you want to ride in style, use a capital freighter, such as your Rahanas, for example (later on, a Lepton is a nice alternative - good cargo types, very quick and nimble, and easier to dock with than a Rahanas.)
Thank you very much. I see I'll still have to learn a lot about that game...

cu
Rainer

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 06:00

Okay, next question:

When I docked at the CV to board the Taranis there was a yellow light and the ship suddenly was in the next zone. The same when I docked after the successful boarding.

But then I docked at the Taranis and told the Captain "Bring me to deVries". The ship - although filled to the brink with jumpcells - did not jump. It was moving, since there were messages "reaching (zone name)".

So I undocked, flew to deVries by myself and ordered the Taranis to follow. She constantly flew into the PMC fleet near the gate, was severely damaged, and didn't manage to follow me.

Is that normal? The CV I ordered to follow me to deVries hasn't yet arrived but seems to make substantial progress. Can anybody enlighten me?

cu
Rainer

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 12:24

During the boarding mission you will have destroyed the jumpdrive on the Taranis. In order for it to be repaired, an Engineer will need to be put to work on the Taranis and sufficient time for repairs will have to pass. This probably hasn't completed.

You can check if the jumpdrive is damaged or not on the ship's Detail Menu, and you can see what the Engineer is currently repairing in their Detail Menu.

Jumpdrives on capital ships only work between Sectors. If a ship is in the same sector as a Gate, it will Lways fly to the gate.

If you have a Defense Officer on the Taranis set to attack (see their Detail Menu), it will pick fights with any red object it passes. This is dangerous if you don't want that to happen under normal circumstances, and although not relevent in this case, it is often fatal near the gate to DV if a ship jumps to that Sector (due to proximity of a station to the jump beacon).

A Defense Officer can be set to Defend in order to potentially trigger less return fire.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 12:32

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:During the boarding mission you will have destroyed the jumpdrive on the Taranis. In order for it to be repaired, an Engineer will need to be put to work on the Taranis and sufficient time for repairs will have to pass. This probably hasn't completed.

You can check if the jumpdrive is damaged or not on the ship's Detail Menu, and you can see what the Engineer is currently repairing in their Detail Menu.

Jumpdrives on capital ships only work between Sectors. If a ship is in the same sector as a Gate, it will Lways fly to the gate.

If you have a Defense Officer on the Taranis set to attack (see their Detail Menu), it will pick fights with any red object it passes. This is dangerous if you don't want that to happen under normal circumstances, and although not relevent in this case, it is often fatal near the gate to DV if a ship jumps to that Sector (due to proximity of a station to the jump beacon).

A Defense Officer can be set to Defend in order to potentially trigger less return fire.
I waited until the ship was completely (100%) repaired before I gave her another order. The defense officer is on "Defense", the jump drive is "OK" and the tank is full.

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 14:25

Unlike in previous Xs, jump GATES don't act as jumpdrive destinations for capital ships, only jump BEACONS do - so your Taranis will jump from its original hidey hole in Inner World to the jump beacon at Wrecksville in Lookout Alpha, then turn toward the gate in Auspicious Excavation and boost to there, arriving near the gate but still needing to "walk" the rest of the way to it. This is why in an earlier post I recommended trying to pick a "quiet"(ish) time to slip the Taranis through. That being said, there's pretty much always a small PMC guard detachment hanging around that area, and it moves around, so it's pretty nigh impossible to time it right, and so luck plays a part. It's important to do it the way you did it in your second attempt, ie. not to be present nearby: as a veteran of previous Xs, you are no doubt aware that there is quite a disparity between how in-sector and out-of-sector combat is handled in those games - well, in Rebirth this is even more so, and trying to get a battleship through that gauntlet "in-zone" is pretty much guaranteed to be a doomed quest, while doing it in absentia has a much better chance of success. If you find you can't get it through even while you're elsewhere, don't just reload and try again right away, rather wait a while for the disposition of the local forces to change, and try again later. You can also try to hasten this by flying to the Albion side of that gate, pulling faces and waving your arms and shouting "yoohoo" at the guard group, then drawing them farther from the gate before quickly bolting out of there - this *may* set up a more favourable arrangement of the pieces (just be sure to take into account the path your ship will take from the Lookout Alpha jump beacon, and draw the patrol away not just from the gate, but from that flight path.)

Ugh, sorry about that monolithic paragraph... :S
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 20:45

RAVEN.myst wrote:Unlike in previous Xs, jump GATES don't act as jumpdrive destinations for capital ships, only jump BEACONS do - so your Taranis will jump from its original hidey hole in Inner World to the jump beacon at Wrecksville in Lookout Alpha, then turn toward the gate in Auspicious Excavation and boost to there, arriving near the gate but still needing to "walk" the rest of the way to it. This is why in an earlier post I recommended trying to pick a "quiet"(ish) time to slip the Taranis through. That being said, there's pretty much always a small PMC guard detachment hanging around that area, and it moves around, so it's pretty nigh impossible to time it right, and so luck plays a part. It's important to do it the way you did it in your second attempt, ie. not to be present nearby: as a veteran of previous Xs, you are no doubt aware that there is quite a disparity between how in-sector and out-of-sector combat is handled in those games - well, in Rebirth this is even more so, and trying to get a battleship through that gauntlet "in-zone" is pretty much guaranteed to be a doomed quest, while doing it in absentia has a much better chance of success. If you find you can't get it through even while you're elsewhere, don't just reload and try again right away, rather wait a while for the disposition of the local forces to change, and try again later. You can also try to hasten this by flying to the Albion side of that gate, pulling faces and waving your arms and shouting "yoohoo" at the guard group, then drawing them farther from the gate before quickly bolting out of there - this *may* set up a more favourable arrangement of the pieces (just be sure to take into account the path your ship will take from the Lookout Alpha jump beacon, and draw the patrol away not just from the gate, but from that flight path.)

Ugh, sorry about that monolithic paragraph... :S
Hi,

in the meantime it made it, and now it's on guard duty near the construction place of the campaign factory in deVries. It's a little annoying that with every successful kill of a Reiver my reputation with them is noisily set to -25. Who cares?

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 22:27

RainerPrem wrote:It's a little annoying that with every successful kill of a Reiver my reputation with them is noisily set to -25. Who cares?
:D Indeed! The trouble with that is the overloaded/overused little bit of screen real-estate in the form of that radar-cum-notifications area - it wears too many hats, and is thus constantly spammed by all sorts of things, often obscuring the important info - especially in the later game, when you have lots of ships and stations and what-not, all letting you know about their activities. Here's hoping that in X4 the radar/target-info is kept separate from general norifications. In the meantime, you may or may not have discovered a (rather laborious, unfortunately) workaround: you can hit your radar overlay or radar mode hotkey to clear messages (text, not incoming video transmissions) - you have to do it twice, of course, to get you back where to the mode you started in. As for incoming video/radio comms that obstruct, SOME of them can be dismissed by using the Interact hotkey (F by default, methinks) or the drone menu hotkey (again, twice so as to then dismiss the drone menu itself.)

Happy hunting! :)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 7. Sep 17, 05:54

RAVEN.myst wrote:
RainerPrem wrote:It's a little annoying that with every successful kill of a Reiver my reputation with them is noisily set to -25. Who cares?
:D Indeed! The trouble with that is the overloaded/overused little bit of screen real-estate in the form of that radar-cum-notifications area - it wears too many hats, and is thus constantly spammed by all sorts of things, often obscuring the important info - especially in the later game, when you have lots of ships and stations and what-not, all letting you know about their activities.

As for incoming video/radio comms that obstruct, SOME of them can be dismissed by using the Interact hotkey (F by default, methinks) or the drone menu hotkey (again, twice so as to then dismiss the drone menu itself.)

Happy hunting! :)
Hi,

It's more the distraction that bothers me - trying to hit a mine-infested 4-lock-box and then such a message pops up ...

What bothers me much more is the inability to react to anything while cutscenes play (e.g. first Reiver attack) and the constant automatic re-targeting.

I like the fact that I need to smuggle myself through all those PMC patrols attacking me while I'm scanning a station. That really brings depth into that game.

What about those police actions? In X3 there were about ten seconds between the first announcement to be scanned and the command to drop any illegal ware - which I seldom carried myself.

In XR there is a woman saying something about dropping illegal goods, and one second later they attack me, and the station is red. I don't even have the time to open my inventory and follow her order. THAT is annoying.

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 7. Sep 17, 11:35

RainerPrem wrote:What bothers me much more is the inability to react to anything while cutscenes play (e.g. first Reiver attack)
Aye, this drives me mad, along with the inability to use anything beyond basic flight controls whenever anyone is saying anything - turn off station scan mode, for example, and first Annoyisha and then Betty BOTH take a turn saying something, and all the while you can't open a map view or property screen or anything.
RainerPrem wrote: What about those police actions? In X3 there were about ten seconds between the first announcement to be scanned and the command to drop any illegal ware - which I seldom carried myself.

In XR there is a woman saying something about dropping illegal goods, and one second later they attack me, and the station is red. I don't even have the time to open my inventory and follow her order. THAT is annoying.
OK, the trick here is to pull over immediately - if you keep or start moving, they think you're rabbiting and the nasty stuff happens, even if you are not carrying anything dodgy - if you are stationary or come to an immediate standstill, the coppers give you ample time to go through your inventory and dump the contraband. I, too, tend to avoid carrying such around, at least while I'm unlicensed to - but often what happens is just after performing the public safety service of clearing the potential navigational hazard of a bunch of floating cans, which are indiscriminately pulled in by the container magnet, I end up with something naughty in my hold, and might get stopped and searched before I've had a chance to check. [Here, it would be nice if the list of looted items that pops up in the overburdened view would highlight illegal items in, say, orange or red, or even a brief vocal notification (so long as it doesn't disable controls) - "Illegal goods collected" or "Contraband in cargo"]
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 8. Sep 17, 06:29

RAVEN.myst wrote:
RainerPrem wrote: What about those police actions? In X3 there were about ten seconds between the first announcement to be scanned and the command to drop any illegal ware - which I seldom carried myself.

OK, the trick here is to pull over immediately...
Hi,

I'll give that a try next time.

My architect still didn't start to build the station, although only fusion reactors are missing, and I have no idea where to find them. At the moment, I'm touring Albion, putting down trade agents in every station that might have influence of the construction chain for those reactors, and my two freighters are constantly hauling technical goods.

Is that the right way to achieve that? Should I buy another freighter?

And, btw, the Mercancias (M) is damaged from some encounters with Reivers and/or PMC. How can I repair it or have it repaired? Do I need to find a shipyard selling that type?

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 8. Sep 17, 13:05

RainerPrem wrote: My architect still didn't start to build the station, although only fusion reactors are missing, and I have no idea where to find them. At the moment, I'm touring Albion, putting down trade agents in every station that might have influence of the construction chain for those reactors, and my two freighters are constantly hauling technical goods.

Is that the right way to achieve that? Should I buy another freighter?
Yes, those fusion reactors are infamous, hehehe. The thing with those is that they are in high demand, so as soon as they go on the market, they get snapped up by NPC buyers, so you have to be on your toes. They are manufactured at
Spoiler
Show
two Ship Tech Fabs, both in Ascendancy sector (one in Buried Treasure, the other in zone 3, whose name I forget), both owned by Ledda Industrial, so you are free to trade with them.
As for trade agents, big YES to doing this - it's crucial, so you can see what's available and who's willing to pay well for what you can peddle. In addition, you will want to scan at least the production modules on the stations mentioned in the spoiler above, so that you can remotely keep an eye on the state of production cycles - that way, you can identify when the station is short of a needed resource and supply it to keep production as smooth as possible (and at a profit too - bonus!), as well as being able to anticipate when the production cycles complete, so you can be ready to jump on the sale order as soon as it becomes available (often for less than a minute before some NPC snaps it up.)

As for your next question: yes, hauling stuff around lubricates the economy; once you have scanned the correct stations, you will have an idea of the other resources involved in FR manufacture, and you can then decide what other freighter types to get, so that you may move those goods. To put it simply, though, make sure you can move containers, energy, and bulk goods at least, with liquids generally being a low priority speciality (except water, all these are harvested gases that are not normally sold at stations, in any case.) Your freebie Rahanas from the early game sorts you out on container and energy, so before expanding those cargo types, consider getting a bulk hauler first, which will allow you to move agricultural goods and refined minerals and the like.
RainerPrem wrote:And, btw, the Mercancias (M) is damaged from some encounters with Reivers and/or PMC. How can I repair it or have it repaired? Do I need to find a shipyard selling that type?
Yes, you can have it repaired and yes that's at a shipyard that handles S/M size ships. There's one in the same sector, I'll leave it to you to discover it (it's not hidden or anything), as it's an EXTREMELY important location for you. Repairs aren't cheap: the cost is directly proportional 1:1 to the damage - half-damage costs half the ship's purchase price to repair, for example. Keep this in mind when you decide whether to repair or to sell it. If you do keep it, I recommend giving it a good pilot, to improve its survival chances and its efficiency. Now here's a quirk of this game: unlike other crew types, pilots can ONLY be assigned to owned ships from the rear compartment of the Skunk, with option 4 (Work Somewhere Else, or something along those lines.)

[The pilot's navigation skill will influence how quickly he/she gets around, so reducing idle times reduces overall exposure; the combat skill improves responses while in combat, so for example the pilot is more likely to boost to gain distance when it's appropriate; morale affects braveness, and while many people will recommend a low morale for freighter pilots on the assumption that that will make the pilot more prone to run away, I suspect that a high morale is not going to make the pilot stick around dangerously, but will help the pilot make the correct decision (ie. keep cool and not freeze up) in a hot situation, ie. bolt if appropriate - however, this last (morale) is purely speculative on my part, I can only say that my high-morale pilots APPEAR to do better, but my sample size is far from statistically significant.]

Incidentally, Plutarch won't attack your freighters (including M-size ones) unless your reputation drops to below -20 but it's locked at that value until you complete the campaign, so it's only pirates (Reivers in DeVries, Sovereign Syndicate in Albion) that your freighters need to worry about (so long as defense officers on your large freighters are kept on their default 'defend' setting, so they don't start anything with anyone...)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 8. Sep 17, 13:38

RAVEN.myst wrote: ...

As for trade agents, big YES to doing this - it's crucial, so you can see what's available and who's willing to pay well for what you can peddle. In addition, you will want to scan at least the production modules on the stations mentioned in the spoiler above, so that you can remotely keep an eye on the state of production cycles - that way, you can identify when the station is short of a needed resource and supply it to keep production as smooth as possible (and at a profit too - bonus!), as well as being able to anticipate when the production cycles complete, so you can be ready to jump on the sale order as soon as it becomes available (often for less than a minute before some NPC snaps it up.)
Hi,

thank you for now. I'm heading off to inspect those factories...

cu
Rainer

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 11. Sep 17, 05:29

Hi,

just came back from a round through Albion, where I scanned stations and installed trade agents in all those zones I came through early in the game. Scanning a station with a constant threat of PMC hunters and police sirens is kind of thrilling.

As for the station building:

1) My CV and architect are blocked, until the station reaches its final upgrade state, correct?

2) Does it make sense to produce the fusion reactors myself? I can imagine that Albion is a bad place for that. Can it be done in deVries or do I need to wait until I know more about OL and place it there? (Still scanning that "Mega Complex" in the first zone)

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 11. Sep 17, 06:46

1. I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

2. Yes, absolutely! :) As where to build the ShipTech Fab, there are advantages and disadvantages. Building in Albion isn't actually terrible, as there you will have ready customers and you can then turn a tidy profit off them; also, production resources are readily available there, so keeping the station running is simple.

However, if you are developing a personal economy in DeVries, building it there makes more sense as it makes the product more readily available to your construction projects, and the Canteran shipyards will also buy your FRs, so it's still profitable. The challenge here is keeping the station running: you will either want to set up the economic infrastructure in DeVries, or will need to manually (and rather laboriously!) cart in a lot of the resources (Fusion Reactors have significant requirements when it comes to production resources.)

Waiting till Omicron Lyrae would be the one option I would NOT recommend - there's little upside in delaying: it's much like building in Albion in terms of profitability and access to production resources, only later in the game, so all it would accomplish is a delay. However, there's no reason not to ALSO produce FRs in OmLy, to support shipbuilding that side and to make additional profit, but...
Spoiler
Show
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 11. Sep 17, 08:03

1) No. The Architect is only 'blocked' until the existing construction order is complete. After which, you can either commission the building of another station module or other stuff like ststion repairs or adding weapons if any were left out when building modules.

2) In the mod to long-term, yes. But I wouldn't bother until your campaign station is finished in terms of campaign requirements. It 'only' needs 140 FRs for the modules the campaign requires, whereas FR-producing stations need almost 800.

Scanning: In case you didn't know, placing a Trade Agent automatically unlocks storage modules so I'd do that before scanning.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 11. Sep 17, 08:16

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: ...

2) In the mod to long-term, yes. But I wouldn't bother until your campaign station is finished in terms of campaign requirements. It 'only' needs 140 FRs for the modules the campaign requires, whereas FR-producing stations need almost 800.

Scanning: In case you didn't know, placing a Trade Agent automatically unlocks storage modules so I'd do that before scanning.
Hi,

thank you for the new insight. I learn something new about X:R each day, and for now the game isn't sooo bad. (Apart from still getting stuck between opened closet doors or in a part of the architecture.)

cu
Rainer

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 11. Sep 17, 08:38

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: Scanning: In case you didn't know, placing a Trade Agent automatically unlocks storage modules so I'd do that before scanning.
This was added, if I recall correctly, in 4.0, and is an important improvement - so what I do is get the trade agent, THEN I scan (sometimes only the production modules, so that I can have up to date info on production cycles and specific shortages.)

Incidentally, in the next update's announcement there's mention that in future trade agents will also be obtainable by killing hostile ships near a station, so an alternative approach would be policing criminal mass traffic ships and/or taking stations defense combat missions, instead of engaging in tedious talk about the weather and the differences between AI and AGI and what-not...
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 11. Sep 17, 08:48

You're welcome.

Getting stuck in stations or large capital ships is quite frustrating!

There are some tips for escaping that here in case any are new to you.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”