Classic flight mode

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Classic flight mode

Post by Cursed Ghost » Fri, 24. Nov 17, 23:44

Hi all

Question how to you turn on classic flight more in rebirth?

The reason I ask is because my brother just got a copy of Rebirth and like me he prefers the classic flight mode as we both find that much easier.

In TC/AP this can do this by pressing Shift + N and doing so locks the curser to the crosshairs so my weapons fire to the center of the cross hairs and i can steer the ship with the mouse directly which is for us is much better and much easy to use than the hideous and unusable curser follow nonsense, since we have been the classic flight mode for every other game in the X Series

The issue I'm having is that Shift + N doesn't seem to work in Rebirth I can hit space and put the game in to curse mode but that is not what I want, what I want the ability to fly the ship the same way I do in TC using classic flight mode.

So how do we turn on the TC/AP classic flight mode in rebirth, because so far we have been unable to find a way to turn it on which needless to say is very very very annoying and is currently rendering the game completely unplayable because we can't control the ship with this retarded curser follow nonsense.

In case anyone wants to know what classic flight mode is think Doom or indeed any other FPS game where you have a crosshair in the centre of the screen when you fire your weapons they go to the centre of the cross hair and you steer by moving the mouse left and right

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 25. Nov 17, 02:53

As far as I know, the classic mode is not available in Rebirth.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 25. Nov 17, 13:03

Also see this X4 thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 25. Nov 17, 22:01

If you have a gamepad it uses classic flight mode, I play with one and is ok, still use the mouse and keyboard for some stuff, but all flying is done with an X-box controller.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Brinnie
x3tc

Post by Brinnie » Tue, 28. Nov 17, 09:44

Hi, I don't remember exactly how the classic flight mode worked but if I understand your post correctly you want your ship to follow the mouse movement and not its cursor.

As you mentioned you can switch to that way of controlling flight by hitting the spacebar, now if you look in the control settings there is an option for a keybind that you can assign to fire at the centre of the screen, I am not sure what it is called but it serves that purpose.

I have it set to Ctrl but I think you could set it to your right mouse button or whatever you are using for firing your main guns.

Would the above setup not resemble classic flight mode?

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Post by Cursed Ghost » Sun, 3. Dec 17, 15:58

Hi, I don't remember exactly how the classic flight mode worked but if I understand your post correctly you want your ship to follow the mouse movement and not its cursor.

As you mentioned you can switch to that way of controlling flight by hitting the spacebar, now if you look in the control settings there is an option for a keybind that you can assign to fire at the centre of the screen, I am not sure what it is called but it serves that purpose.

I have it set to Ctrl but I think you could set it to your right mouse button or whatever you are using for firing your main guns.

Would the above setup not resemble classic flight mode?
I already tried that and that is not classic flight mode, that is curser follow mode what I mean when I say classic flight mode is how the game worked in X Beyond the Frontier, X-Tension, X2 The Threat, X3 Reunion and optionally in X3 Terran Conflict and X3 Albion Prelude, via the classic flight mode option which made the in flight controls work the same way as the previous games.

Click to move and curser follow modes are both awful control schemes and neither my self nor my brother can pilot using those modes, just to illustrate how big of a problem this is we can't even get to the first mission objective to get the ship fixed because we can't make the ship fly in a striate line and stay in the highway and unfortunately neither one of us owns a joystick or joypad so that’s not an option which is basically rendering the game completely unplayable because we can't control the ship.

Which brings me to my next question is Egosoft planning to fix this egregious oversight, and if so when because Rebirth has been out for ages and this problem should have been fixed already.

What I'd really like to know though is what was Egosoft thinking when they removed classic flight mode because they must have known that doing so was going to cause massive problems for people, and by extension cause a storm of complaints from players.

In addition are they also going to include the option for classic flight mode in X4 because if not then there will be no point buying it because we wont be able to play that game either.

While on the subject of highways can we get them remove from X4 completely, surly there have to be better options for helping players get about the system faster.

for example:

1.) An after burner that doesn't drain your shields.

2.) SETA

3.) A gateless jump drive that lets you do point to point jumps so long as you can supply coordinates to your navigation computer, of course this would require sensible restrictions like for example only being able to point to point jump to places you have already been because otherwise you could materialise inside an asteroid or station which would be bad.

I mean right there are 3 possible solutions to helping players get around faster that are superior to highways in every possible way, and that's just idea's that i can think of off the top of my head if i was to really spend some time thinking about it I'm sure i could probably come up with other ideas as well.

for example why not do a variation of what you did with Aldrin and just use orbital accelerators, while this might have a few limitations, its still a better option than highways.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sun, 3. Dec 17, 16:20

To be stable in highways, press "space" just before entering them, that way you will not get the bouncing and eventually being kicked out of the highway issue.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

specialsymbol

Post by specialsymbol » Sat, 23. Dec 17, 04:37

Thanks for this hint! It worked. And here I was wondering how on earth to stay in those highways.

@Cursed Ghost

<Shift> <N> - that was what I was looking for! Thank you!
"Oh my God, it's full of stars!" - Dave Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”