Why is this game like this after all this time?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Xipher
x4

Why is this game like this after all this time?

Post by Xipher » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 10:35

And why are people saying it "was" broken?
Is a window not broken anymore when the hole has a 10cm diameter instead of 20?

-Why are there still unskippable NPC sentences imprisoning yourself on the spot?
-Enemy fighters are flying like brainless zombies...pretty much always straight lines
-Ship AI still underwhelming... small ships are useless in offensive playing due to wayfinding errors and light up way to fast against capital ships. Their only use is for exploration and light station defense
-Ships squad AI is meh...it's rare to see them sticking together after a few miles
-Menu still meh...takes way to long to command multiple ships
-Still not possible to land small ships on capships...so squads with cap and small ships are a dumb idea
-small ships should be able to get pulled along when the capital leader is jumping
-Fighting against certain entities is impossible...there is a xenon hub where your small and cap ships just won't fly close to, or a pirate base where the cap ships focus on firing (and missing 99% of the time) on a cable instead of the large parts
-getting capital ships through gates or through the dock takes eons
-finding parts for sinza takes way to long...hours and hours opening crates and only found 1 needed part (and noone is selling this stuff?)
-autotrading is still a forgotten tech
-why would someone just plan one way around the galaxy?
-I wouldn't mind an option to turn friendly fire off...can't count the ships or relations I lost due to friendly fire

Yes, there are mods making the game better and more enjoyable...but modders shouldn't be needed to 'complete' a 4 year old game with active developers

I really love the X-series and I hope Egosoft doesn't mess up X4. The footage so far looks good...there is still hope

Berhg
x4

Re: Why is this game like this after all this time?

Post by Berhg » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 11:59

Xipher wrote:
-Why are there still unskippable NPC sentences imprisoning yourself on the spot?
I agree with all of your points, and most especially this one.
Save the bunnies! RTFM

[ external image ]

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 14:25

Xipher wrote:...Yes, there are mods making the game better and more enjoyable...but modders shouldn't be needed to 'complete' a 4 year old game with active developers
Sadly, I have to 200% agree with this (I get to, because both of me are Geminis.) I've been back on a consistent diet of X2, X3TC and X3AP, with even a splash of X3R thrown in occasionally - auto-trading and small-ship usage (even in moderate to large fleets) are crucial to my preferred way to play the games. I understand that *some* elements as they previously were, are incompatible with the game's fundamental structure/design and engine, but surely some (such as CLS equivalents, a proper CAG equivalent and not this stunted station manager business, and the ability for carriers to... erm... carry fighters) could have been patched in? Oh well... *sigh*
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

MrFiction
x3ap

Post by MrFiction » Sat, 16. Dec 17, 21:31

Xipher wrote:-Why are there still unskippable NPC sentences imprisoning yourself on the spot?
-autotrading is still a forgotten tech
-why would someone just plan one way around the galaxy?
-I wouldn't mind an option to turn friendly fire off...can't count the ships or relations I lost due to friendly fire
Mostly agree, especially with these points. The unskippable NPC blatter is excruciating. Just like the smalltalk which is even worse actually.

However, the AI has actually improved. There are still plenty of idiotic things, like traders flying through multiple hostile sectors instead of jumping around them. Combat AI has improved noticeably, I actually enjoy it more than X3 titles. In X3 and enemy always charges at you in a straight line, in Rebirth, ships boost, fly away and circle around you. Nothing too fancy but a bit better.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sun, 17. Dec 17, 05:18

Why are you asking stupid questions? Can't you simply phrase your suggestions or complaints as such?

What do you think the effect was of the original game flopping, on release day, and nobody buying it? Do you imagine Egosoft celebrated that they had no sales, and then immediately hired a HUGE team of extra devs to fix all the bugs? Do you imagine they were swimming in money?

This game is a turd. Polishing a turd doesn't make it a blockbuster success, and it's stupid to try. Best thing to do is abandon it, and focus whatever resources you have after firing half your dev team towards making the next game, hopefully without the bugs.

You hope they don't mess up X4... did you see the decision they made with the station icon visibility in X-R patch 4.30?

robcza
x4

Post by robcza » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 16:56

Remember that every part of the series worked poorly without the mods.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 17:54

robcza wrote:Remember that every part of the series worked poorly without the mods.
Not for me - I'm a vanilla player, perfectly happy with all the "numbered Xs" with nothing but the Bonus Pack (granted, that's a bunch of officially approved mods - but they are essentially optional add-ons that many consider part-and-parcel of the respective games.) And just to be clear, other than the BPs, I run no mods whatsoever - and I know I'm not the only one. ;)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 18:30

Must admit that I'm also the Vanilla type mostly, tough at some point I do use 1 or 2 mods. These mods usually "fix" the game abit not really change it, like MARS gave me a good function for the weapons.
Also I don't use them mods until I'm pretty much completly sure I think I need them, played for several hours/days/weeks and done it all.

PS Right now I think I need that mod where I can buy those damn Skill seminars from BlackMarket people. Really bugs me the small talk.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 18:40

dholmstr wrote:... like MARS gave me a good function for the weapons.
MARS and CODEA I've been tempted to use, though never quite got around to them.
dholmstr wrote: PS Right now I think I need that mod where I can buy those damn Skill seminars from BlackMarket people. Really bugs me the small talk.
That problem went away by itself for me the day I went back to the earlier titles :D
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”