How to find Lockboxes (coordinates question)

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hotshot22
x4

How to find Lockboxes (coordinates question)

Post by Hotshot22 » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 17:54

Ok, maybe I'm blind or something, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to find the Lockboxes mentioned here:

https://forum.egosoft.de/viewtopic.php?t=395120
https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... n+geometry

There is no visible coordinates on my map... how's that?

Please help!! Thanks! :-)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 18:36

Did you read the introduction in the Wiki that gave the coordinates in your second link?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Hotshot22
x4

Post by Hotshot22 » Sun, 15. Apr 18, 19:59

Well, yeah:
The coordinates listed are relative to station origin and orientation. There is no way to use the coordinates to find the lockboxes directly.

BUT: how did "they" get those coordinates, if there aren't any displayed? o_O

Maybe through a mod?

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 02:11

They got the coordinates by looking at the data in the raw game files.

How to use the coordinates:

1. If you look at the map with the station selected, and you zoom in, there's a point where the game rotates the station to show it in a more detailed wireframe. Imagine x (horizontal) y (vertical) z (up out of the screen towards you) axes that are centered where the station appears to be centered in that rotated map.

2. Figure out, roughly, where the container should be, based on these coordinate axes.

3. Close the map and go look closer.

Stations with a single container are difficult, because you don't have a sense of scale (what's +100 vs. +5000). Stations with multiple containers are easier, IF one of the containers is easy to find visually, because you can figure out from that one container's coordinates what the "scale" of the map is.

Hotshot22
x4

Post by Hotshot22 » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 07:19

Ok, thanks for the info mate!!!

It's just confusing - amidst all the other changes - that's all I guess... I mean, I'm a X veteran, but in Rebith I feel like a total n00b. And I am, 'cause so much has changed...

No coordinates is but a small part. Why no more ship classification (M1-Mx)? Why no options to disable or skip voice, so one can quickly navigate the ui (like switch between scanners)?

But I do accept this is no X* game; it's a new engine and a "game play test". I do like that I can(!) land on stations and interact with NPCs to get better deals.

I'm not particularly fond of the crafting, but it's in there and I ... don't "hate" the looting of boxes, as it gives me something else to do^^.

BUT why make a lot of things so cumbersome... oh man :cry:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 10:52

"It's just confusing - amidst all the other changes ... why make a lot of things so cumbersome... oh man"

I don't count it much of a game change that Egosoft haven't made it easy to cheat the locations to what they intended to be hidden and chance-encounter containers. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Hotshot22
x4

Post by Hotshot22 » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 12:41

Nope, that's true^^

But having no coordinates seems... weird :-\

(esp. because you have x/y/z in your map *lol*)

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 16. Apr 18, 19:14

Hotshot22 wrote:Well, yeah:
The coordinates listed are relative to station origin and orientation. There is no way to use the coordinates to find the lockboxes directly.

BUT: how did "they" get those coordinates, if there aren't any displayed? o_O

Maybe through a mod?
The coordinates were extracted directly from the game files. I forgot who did that initially, but I used that as a start. Then I basically just spent some time prowling around the stations until I got a first box, then started from there to find the other ones on the same station. It takes some time at first, but eventually it becomes a little instinctual.
(Station origin coordinates are usually the same for similar stations, so it's actually not that hard once you've done a few.)
So that's how I found most of the boxes.

Then a few months ago Deathifier came along and built a small mod to find all the missing ones and complete the list. He even found a few boxes that were not on the original list. Couldn't have done it without him.

Now I just have kick myself in the butt, stop procrastinating and update the damn spreadsheet/forum entry.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Hotshot22
x4

Post by Hotshot22 » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 07:33

Wait, didn't you create that awesome Google spreadsheet? Man, that's some truly awesome work mate!!

Thanks a bunch!

And you're right: once you find a few boxes and know how to work with the coordinates given, it's not that bad.

But it still kinda would be without your pictures :D :thumb_up:

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 13:24

I created the spreadsheet, but I used the coordinate list from the wiki.
We had a rainy summer last year. I just found a way to get busy. XD

Plus, it's really worth it to take some time flying around these stations. They are really awesome , and have a high level of detail in them.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.

Hotshot22
x4

Post by Hotshot22 » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 14:38

True, the stations are highly detailed and beautifully crafted! And because of that it's rather hard to find the boxes :D

Cheers!

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 17. Apr 18, 15:09

Here's a tip, that you could probably deduce from the screenshots since I used this trick for most of them:
Get into station scanner mode. All the station will highlight in grey or whatever colour relevant to the various module types, but the crates themselves will stay black.

Hotshot22
x4

Post by Hotshot22 » Wed, 18. Apr 18, 07:11

Thanks!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”