Personal capital

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tesier
x4

Personal capital

Post by tesier » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 01:47

What ship would you guys recommend as a mobile base?
I’m looking for something that can haul me between sectors and wont die to some random fighter or L ship, while I’m messing with menus.

So far I got Titurel, Taranis, Heavy Sul and bunch of Rahanas.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 02:30

Short answer: Taranis.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 15:47

Game has some issues with drones, so the Suls suck. Rahanas has too few defensive guns to work.

So between the Titurel and the Taranis, the Titurel has the advantage that you can go into cargo collect mode and scoop cargo that you may find. The Taranis has the advantage of being a tough little beast.

Other options: Lepton is weak, defensively, but it's small and turns quite fast, so it can get you around quite nicely. I was piggy-back riding mine once and it decided to do a corkscrew through the gap in the middle of one of the stations, was pretty cool to see that happen with no collisions.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 15:59

I personally go with a lepton or a balor for their speed and maneuverability, but they fold down pretty quickly under firepower.

In terms of combat capabilities vs speed, the Taranis is a pretty good choice. It's the fastest of the heavy capital ships, got good firepower and decent armor. It won't stand up to the Omicron Lyrae capital ships in a fight, but it's faster.

Alternatively, the marauder phoenix is pretty damn fast, maneuverable, has cargo space and is not that hard to get. It has decent firepower, but it also fold pretty fast when under fire.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 21:37

Lepton, usually.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 26. Apr 18, 22:11

Lepton's my favourite too. Although, as others have mentioned, it's absolutely useless in a fight & would struggle to cope with a particularly angry spacefly.

If I'm travelling anywhere with a significant risk of hostile encounters (e.g. Teladi sectors) tend to use a Lyramekron instead. Bloody expensive ship, around 40 million fully equipped, but well armed (around 80 assorted HIT/MA, Plasma/MA & Hailstorm/MA turrets) & has a reasonably big 250k universal hold.

Still prefer Lepton for general use though. The speed & manoueverability for an L class capital are extraordinary - everything else seems painfully sluggish after you've used a Lepton for a while.

foxxbl
x4

Post by foxxbl » Sat, 28. Apr 18, 18:03

GCU Grey Area wrote:Lepton's my favourite too. Although, as others have mentioned, it's absolutely useless in a fight & would struggle to cope with a particularly angry spacefly.

If I'm travelling anywhere with a significant risk of hostile encounters (e.g. Teladi sectors) tend to use a Lyramekron instead. Bloody expensive ship, around 40 million fully equipped, but well armed (around 80 assorted HIT/MA, Plasma/MA & Hailstorm/MA turrets) & has a reasonably big 250k universal hold.

Still prefer Lepton for general use though. The speed & maneuverability for an L class capital are extraordinary - everything else seems painfully sluggish after you've used a Lepton for a while.
I would definitively recommend you to board one of the Marauder Phoenixes in the Fields of Opportunity (needs expansion). It is the fastest XL ship with the speed of 95 m/s, it can carry some cargo around (50k m3) and with the pretty decent firepower (subpar to Taranis and bigger ships but much more agile). I used it a lot in my game until I acquired jump drive for hopping around the galaxy.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 28. Apr 18, 19:45

foxxbl wrote:I would definitively recommend you to board one of the Marauder Phoenixes in the Fields of Opportunity (needs expansion). It is the fastest XL ship with the speed of 95 m/s, it can carry some cargo around (50k m3) and with the pretty decent firepower (subpar to Taranis and bigger ships but much more agile). I used it a lot in my game until I acquired jump drive for hopping around the galaxy.
Have tried one of those just didn't like it much. Not fond of how it looks & for circumstances where I need to use a gunship I want it to have a reasonable number of guns - MP is just not well enough armed for my tastes. Shielding felt a bit thin too.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Sun, 29. Apr 18, 09:52

GCU Grey Area wrote:
foxxbl wrote:I would definitively recommend you to board one of the Marauder Phoenixes in the Fields of Opportunity (needs expansion). It is the fastest XL ship with the speed of 95 m/s, it can carry some cargo around (50k m3) and with the pretty decent firepower (subpar to Taranis and bigger ships but much more agile). I used it a lot in my game until I acquired jump drive for hopping around the galaxy.
Have tried one of those just didn't like it much. Not fond of how it looks & for circumstances where I need to use a gunship I want it to have a reasonable number of guns - MP is just not well enough armed for my tastes. Shielding felt a bit thin too.
The Phoenix is considered a warship by NSCs. The advantage is that you can trade in FoO without being attacked by local pirates. Pokletnov generators get you a hefty profitsss. The disadvantage is during the plot that Plutarch ships WILL fire at it.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 29. Apr 18, 12:24

RainerPrem wrote:The Phoenix is considered a warship by NSCs. The advantage is that you can trade in FoO without being attacked by local pirates. Pokletnov generators get you a hefty profitsss. The disadvantage is during the plot that Plutarch ships WILL fire at it.
I know, however, thing is Lyramekron has no problems trading in FoO either. May get attacked, but has no difficulty fending off attacks even by multiple MPs. On one trade run mine left five of them as burnt out wrecks on it's way to dock at TU Overwatch. Lost a few subsystems in the fight but main shields held.

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Sun, 29. Apr 18, 17:54

My usual pick is a Sanahar, 'cos I think it's decently fast & as a Trade vessel tends not to get into fights it can't win before I can tell it to run away.

That being said, I would quite like mod to remove that metal spike sticking up right in front of the landing pad 'cos I tend to run into it even when I turn before boosting after launch.

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Mon, 30. Apr 18, 09:26

At first I tought the Balor would be the thing, becouse speed and such. Plus I was still under the illusion that those fat torpedos were a good asset when I was fighting capitals. Me shooting all guns away while it pounded the ship, unharmed from a distance. Sadly it didn't often stay at a distance.

Then I tried most trader ships, all with ups/downs. Titurel had the shield and allaround holds. Sahanar with its speed. But found myself not using the cargo pickup so was abit pointless.

So I went for the bigboys and Tanaris is the most solid one IMO. Good shield, good ammount of guns. The shape of the ship always gives it a good shooting, exept the rear end. The AI can manage her well (unlike Balor/Sucellus). The speed is really nice. Sadly the Drone launcher is at the very tip of the ship and it almost always get hit first and hard by other capitals on aproach.

Lately I have been taking the majestic route, Arawn. Speed meeeeeh but who cares when I look good when I arrive :D. Must say the Arawn and the Tanaris have the best detail to them, not even the OL ships compete. They look too boxed and not really finished in the art department. The OL are good don't get me wrong, they just feel...meeeh :)

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Wed, 2. May 18, 04:56

dholmstr wrote:At first I tought the Balor would be the thing, becouse speed and such. Plus I was still under the illusion that those fat torpedos were a good asset when I was fighting capitals. Me shooting all guns away while it pounded the ship, unharmed from a distance. Sadly it didn't often stay at a distance.

Then I tried most trader ships, all with ups/downs. Titurel had the shield and allaround holds. Sahanar with its speed. But found myself not using the cargo pickup so was abit pointless.

So I went for the bigboys and Tanaris is the most solid one IMO. Good shield, good ammount of guns. The shape of the ship always gives it a good shooting, exept the rear end. The AI can manage her well (unlike Balor/Sucellus). The speed is really nice. Sadly the Drone launcher is at the very tip of the ship and it almost always get hit first and hard by other capitals on aproach.

Lately I have been taking the majestic route, Arawn. Speed meeeeeh but who cares when I look good when I arrive :D. Must say the Arawn and the Tanaris have the best detail to them, not even the OL ships compete. They look too boxed and not really finished in the art department. The OL are good don't get me wrong, they just feel...meeeh :)
Arawn and taranis are upgraded versions of those boxed ships. even HOL shipyard produces them. I kinda like the top HIT/MA arcs on the Lazy Sul though and it became my mobile base for some time.

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Mon, 7. May 18, 10:39

ajime, that could be. Thou I must argue about why HoL uses Arawn and not Omicron, from a lore point. Omicron was pretty much the biggest Argon sector military wise in the old game. The factories there pushed out butloads for the argon military, again according to lore. The Arawns description says it was the one of the last things to roll out from Argon Prime. But as Omicron was pretty much THE hub for military thingies I'm preeetty sure they had the design also.

But thats a whole other discussion.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”