So how good is this game now after patching?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RainerPrem
x4

Re: So how good is this game now after patching?

Post by RainerPrem » Mon, 29. Apr 19, 07:06

Honved wrote:
Fri, 26. Apr 19, 18:24
I picked up Rebirth on GOG recently, not expecting it to be X3.5, and trying to judge it on its own merits.

So far, I'm really struggling to control the ship, as well as the character while off the ship, with mouse and keyboard. Basically, everything I do is "all or nothing", and I can't seem to get the ship to point where I want it to go, instead of 30 degrees past that point, or to adjust the speed in increments of less than 40-50% of full power. I've put it aside twice, waited a few days, and tried again, but at this point, having made it to the first station and FINALLY docked in the standard campaign after a couple of hours of frustration (and numerous bumps into the surrounding structures, which seem to do no damage to the ship), I'm about to erase it from the drive and call it a mistake. X3, in spite of the "learning wall", was relatively easy to control as a basic space flight shooter, until you figured out all of the other options available. This game seems perhaps a bit easier to learn, but I have next to no control, and I can't imagine trying to fight in a ship I can't even get to point in the right direction.

If this is some early-game issue with the Skunk until it's repaired, it still shouldn't make it difficult for my character to walk around. If it's an example of how ships are supposed to fly in the game, then obviously, I bought the wrong game. If I'm just acting like a complete novice and have to set something to make it playable on mouse and keyboard, then I'm asking for help or advice.
While it is not easy to get the Skunk point exact the way you want, I never experienced that amount of bad control you describe. It was not worse than in X3. Do you have the chance to try out another keyboard? Maybe your arrow keys have aged due to heavy use?

Honved
x3tc

Re: So how good is this game now after patching?

Post by Honved » Wed, 1. May 19, 23:06

RainerPrem wrote:
Mon, 29. Apr 19, 07:06
While it is not easy to get the Skunk point exact the way you want, I never experienced that amount of bad control you describe. It was not worse than in X3. Do you have the chance to try out another keyboard? Maybe your arrow keys have aged due to heavy use?
I've got no problem steering a ship in X3, but I can't control either the ship or the character's walking direction to an acceptable degree in XR. When you keep making 30-50 degree turns instead of 10-15, and every attempt at movement either does nothing or way too much, it's really not very playable for me. Not only direction, but speed changes are affected as well, jumping from stop to more than 50% in one or two clicks. It's almost like having a 2-3 FPS stutter, but with otherwise smooth graphics except for whatever you're controlling. In X3, I had to hold the keys down for a second or two to get that result, because a single click produced only a trivial effect.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”