General Joystick/Pedal/Controller/Gamepad issues [Q&A CUI-2]

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dexadrinne

Post by Dexadrinne » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 02:44

In all seriousness AND i applaud you're efforts to help others with this whole joystick debacle. It shouldn't be this difficult to get a Joystick/HOTAS be setup.

Just laziness in the hopes it would be overlooked or what ever reason :(

Regards

UnrulyNFS

Post by UnrulyNFS » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 02:51

Complete failure of joystick compatibility. Its funny, I didn't play X3 reunion for 2 years after its release. Why did I think this one would be any different. At least my JOYSTICK was programmable on reunion when it was released. That game just crashed alot. i can't even play the first mission on this one.

ST290 Pro btw.

bluetorino
x3tc

Joystick support?

Post by bluetorino » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 09:28

Its in the controls tab in settings it has controller/joystick. I try changing the controls for my joystick since I hate using a controller for my pc but the game doesn't recognize that I have a joystick plugged in. All the other X games work with my joystick what gives this is really is a pain. Is there a way to jury rig it to work? Plus the dropped frames I get from time to time its starting to make regret getting this game. Any help would be great. Thanks

monsto

Post by monsto » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 10:14

Unhelpful post is unhelpful. There's no support in that thread at all.

bluetorino
look at this: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/
It's an xbox360 controller emulator driver. It may allow you to map your stick controls to xbox360 input.

I'm just curious if this will work for you. There's no installer or anything... drop the .exe in the dir with the game .exe and run it. It's slick and intuitive.

crumbsdm
x4

Post by crumbsdm » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 11:01

Bluetorino, I have joystick issues too and the controllers I own are more limited (hmmmm.... I might have a MS one around too, I'll have to search through boxes)

Monsto, I'm afraid that doesn't work. The issue I've noticed is that they have set Pitch and Yaw controls, which your app doesn't appear to affect. Part of my issue is that apparently my actual joystick is regarded as the "right trigger". Your app remapped all the buttons successfully but X:R doesn't seem to recognise certain things or worse combines control systems. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would like more control over the settings to at least a) specifically state whether they are using a joystick or a controller and b) be able to clear a setting which is causing an issue. I have to assume that this is an engine issue combined with a blinkered development view since there were no similar conflicts in previous games between using the mouse and joysticks.

Solfi, the problem with over-commented long threads (and 10 pages is long) is that they take a while to wade through and don't always convey any useful information other than other people complaining about the same issues.

gooneybird71
x3tc

Post by gooneybird71 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 11:15

Saitek x52 + peddles + TrackIR = spinning around in circle....

I am extremely unimpressed.

myztkl-kev
x4

Post by myztkl-kev » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 11:49

if you have an x52 or x52 pro the joystick still works even though its displaying the buttons or axis incorrectly. the only thing that doesnt work on the x52 is the ability to bind any of the hats to ship movements. the center hat on the stick is auto-bound to weapon/missile selection but i was able to use the saitek software to bind hat 2 to WASD and use it for strafing.

Sadly Egosoft removed all of the joystick related threads from yesterday. <No, they are all in here! Alan Phipps>

wydavies
x4

Post by wydavies » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 13:11

I'm using a Cyborg X FLY 5 joystick. The default joystick mappings are extremely odd, with buttons 30+ appearing in the options screen. As the joystick has 12 buttons, this is a bit puzzling.
It also thinks there are 2 analog controllers. After some experiments it turns out it sees the twist/roll function as "Left Trigger" and the throttle as "Right Trigger". It makes a noise when I pull the main fire control, but it doesn't recognise what it is and when I try to map something to that fuction it comes up as "N/A". This happens for all the other buttons.
I've used the software that came with the joystick to map the buttons to keyboard controls which at least lets me play the game.
I also have to have the throttle in the neutral position when I'm in a station or the mouse freaks out.
All very very odd.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 16:29

There appears to be a big/oversized deadzone issue too, I can move my joystick almost 10 degrees off centre before the ship responds which isn't right.

If I didn't know better I'd say the game is trying to treat my joystick as though its one of the analogue control ticks on the gamepad?

weirdculture
xr

How to configure the joystick?

Post by weirdculture » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 17:21

Hi Guys,

do somebody know how to configure the joystick? I have 2 coolie hats and i would like to use one for strafing, but I couldn't figure it out how to map the (digital) coolie hat to the strafing movement...
Last edited by weirdculture on Sun, 17. Nov 13, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Multiple exclamation marks, he went on, shaking his head, are a sure sign of a diseased mind. --Terry Pratchet
[ external image ]

Rockstar
xr

Post by Rockstar » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 17:53

I definitely want to know the answer to strafing with the POV hat also on my X-52 Pro

Eriodas

Post by Eriodas » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 18:43

Also on Microsoft Force Feedback 2. I missed all the options in the X3 games..

And i thought that the prefered controller for SPACE SIMULATION PC GAMES were Joysticks or Keyboard + mouse, NOT a freaking GAMEPAD.

The manual practically only mention the keyboard and the "XBOX" gamepad.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 18:54

I believe the answer currently is to get your joystick somehow to map its PoV function to the keyboard keys that perform the strafe. So in effect your joystick PoV is just activating the default key commands

PoV up = W
PoV down = S
PoV left = A
PoV right = D

If you have additional analogue slew control they seem to conflict with the axis of your main controllers.

Jurobi
x3tc

Post by Jurobi » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:25

For those trying to use Logitech Joysticks, use the Logitech Gaming Software Profiler to map the buttons. After you open profiler, link the specific profile to the game executable (for Steam users this is in the Program Files (x86)/steam/Steamapps/Common/X Rebirth folder). Assign the buttons in the profiler. Note: you can use this also to assign standard pitch, roll, and movement directions to the joystick as well. For my fellow Americans, when you assign move up and down arrows, do the reverse of what is expected, as egosoft has always worked these backwards from what is intuitive to us. Note2: you are mapping to the keyboard, so that is the flight method you are using. It leaves the mouse available to do such important things as clicking on a target, since this is the first Egosoft game I have played that does NOT have a targeting key on the keyboard. You can still set the sensitivity in the setup options. I have mine at 80%, which does not have me moving wildly out of control, but allows responsiveness.

renaultf1fan5
x4

Post by renaultf1fan5 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:03

I was finally able to get my X52 Pro mapped the way I wanted it.

Basically if any controls are mapped as menu controls the game will not let you map them as space controls so you have to manually reassign everything one by one as there is no way to simply clear a function. I did this by picking one button and one slider I didn't intend on using and going through and mapping everything to those.

I wanted to use the hat on the throttle for strafe but the game would not recognize it so I had to create a new profile and assign the w,a,s,d,wa,wd,as,and sd directions to the hat.

There is still the issue of having a massive dead zone which the game doesn't let you adjust unfortunately, but otherwise the space controls are now working the way I want them to.

Platform controls on the other hand are still a nightmare. The mouse won't work properly on platforms while the joystick is plugged in regardless of whether it is mapped or not so I'm forced to use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move around stations.

rubberman
x4

X52 Pro & pedals

Post by rubberman » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:21

Spent more time reconfiguring the joystick interface than playing - one way to make the game last longer. Its coming along but still not 100% especially with the number of times the game just freezes up on menu screens

One outstanding issue it the Z rotation currently set unprogramed & very large dead zone applied to limit the affect but still firing at times

just found this in the inputmap.xml

<range code="INPUT_JOYAXIS_RZ" source="INPUT_SOURCE_JOYAXES" id="INPUT_RANGE_FIRE_PRIMARY_WEAPON"/>

skrux
x3

Post by skrux » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 21:27

Best solution I found was to drop out my X52 Pro for my simpler Cyborg X...

Axes worked in X without any real work (remember to invert Y and Z as others have pointed out.) Fire guns, fire missiles, and strafe did not. I had to build a custom profile to bind the keyboard commands to the joystick buttons, has been working well.

Quick note for those that are suffering mouse input lag. I've found that at least on the Cyborg X joystick, the throttle axis (Z-axis?) must be neutral to prevent input interference while mousing in first-person mode. If your joystick supports it, increasing the throttle deadzone may also help.

Bad2DBone
x4

Joystick POV buttons to "slip" sideways/up down

Post by Bad2DBone » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 22:26

When you get to do the joystick support... PLEASE add this capability (like in previous games)

Joystick POV rocker to "slip" sideways/up down.

usual joystick controls for 3 axis as usual

Cant map missiles to button 2 either...

Castle02
x3tc

Post by Castle02 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:27

I'm using an old Saitek X45. I've remapped enough joystick buttons to play without any issues. Pitch and yaw on the joystick. Fire button. Throttle on the left, plus the boost button.

Spacezilla

No fun for controller users either

Post by Spacezilla » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 23:37

I thought the youtube video showing flying with a controller was cool so I set aside by joystick and bought a steelseriies 3GC controller to give it a try.
Well no navigation is possible with this. The two joysticks do nothing to change the attitude of my ship and the config menu is not recognizing some of the buttons on this thing. Very disappointed to say the least. Will try to get my joystick working since there is a lot of helpful advice there.

If anyone knows how to config this controller I would appreciate some info.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”