General Joystick/Pedal/Controller/Gamepad issues [Q&A CUI-2]

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kayden
x4

Post by Kayden » Sun, 1. Dec 13, 11:28

I really wanted to buy this game because I have been getting so hyped up for Star Citizen. I didn't pre-purchase cause of my own reasons but now that I have the cash to do it, I sure as heck wont purchase it now! I demand support for joysticks when a game falls under the category of flight or space sims. Egosoft feel free to call me when the X52 is properly supported, the game breaking bugs are fixed, the performance isn't crap-tacular and it's listed for $15.

:evil: :evil:

Roger 1
x3

Post by Roger 1 » Sun, 1. Dec 13, 17:14

I understood before I bought the game that joysticks are not useable - it had to be mouse or XBox 360. I have very reluctantly bought a wireless xbox controller to replace the joystick I used for previous X games. There are no instruction about how to do this. I mean do I just put the batteries in and hope?
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Mon, 2. Dec 13, 02:44

I worked it out, and I've managed to get my X65 to a totally working solution so I am happy.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 2. Dec 13, 10:32

Orion1632 wrote:I worked it out, and I've managed to get my X65 to a totally working solution so I am happy.
Do you see* the deadzone problem on your X65?

*or feel it is perhaps more applicable in your case

ronniejw
x3ap

Problem using Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

Post by ronniejw » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 08:58

Whenever I try to steer with my joy stick I have to move it about an inch before the ship responds. It makes the stick useless. I don't have this problem when I play X3 TC. Any advice you can give to correct this problem would be great.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 10:40

There is a known dead zone issue with all controllers at the moment, its probably there to suit the gamepad analogue controls but for some bizarre reason is being applied to all analogue controllers :?

The best you can do is adjust your input axis curves at the driver level using control panel or the manufacturers software to get you out of the dead zone quickly. Not ideal, not a solution but it helps a little.

Although this is probably not the highest of priorities for Egosoft I would have thought this is one of the more straight forward bugs to fix.

_YoYo_

Re: Terrible setup for users with many controllers!

Post by _YoYo_ » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 10:49

_YoYo_ wrote:Hi Folks,

Setup of controllers is terrible :(. Did You see any setup of controllers in simulator?

Example:
[ external image ]

In one page I see all my controllers (and names of controllers!).

I have many controllers like - joystick, throtlle, rudder, next 6 lever and Xrebirth goes crazy.

With more than 2 external controllers is impossible to properly setup of axis. Example - for one option Your "space sim" see - two my controllers, not one!!!!! How to play with this?

Sorry - I dont want to disconnect all and stay with my one joystic. Id like to use rudder for yaw axis ect. Now its impossible. Where was a beta testers - or they used only a mouse in space "simulator"??? Where is Track IR? Im very disappointed with this simply settings & necessery in modern time options. Yes - we used and have many controllers, its a 2013, not 2001 ; > . I didnt see on the box warning - "the game supports only mouse and one controller". Is it possible to return the "space sim" after steam activation or it will be fixed soon?

How can I setup one controller to one axis - this line in XRebirth see and save two controllers in TOO SAME Time!!! :evil:

Please reply me.

btw. in all simulators - no any problems with setup, here - simply cant fly...

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now a linked thumbnail - Terre}
Im back after 3 weeks and see than SUPPORT of many controllers STILL doesnt work. I have on Joystick too same setup in the game with rudders, they responced together for pitch and axis : ((((( ??? When I will have possibility to normal play in XRebirth? When the patch is planned for many controllers....???

ronniejw
x3ap

Re: *Joystick* How to configure your Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Post by ronniejw » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 21:08

Cyllie wrote:For those having Joystick issues, this is how it is configured on Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro

It's tricky, I know, but it DOES work.

First you want to disable your joystick menu controls:
===================================
ESC>Settings>Controls>(Controller/Joystick)Menus

Select each option one by one and assign it to button 8 (or another, doesn't matter). Make sure the as each time you assign it to a new option, the previous one says N/A.

Don't worry about the two options under Misc, by default they should read Left Stick(horizontal) and (vertical), but at this point these two do not matter. You just need to disable the menu controls.

The last option should be Dialog Menu Interaction, you can just leave Button 8 Assigned here.
==================================
Next Press ESC to go back a menu

Under Controller/Joystick again look for Space, it should be the first one in this subsection.

Select "Yaw" and tilt your joystick to the side...strafe left/right should go N/A and Yaw should change to "Left Stick (Horizontal)"

Select "Pitch" and tilt your joystick up...similar results but this time Strafe Up/Down should change to N/A

Select Throttle and move your slider

If you want your Steering assigned to buttons, then select each and do that now

IGNORE THE WEAPONS SUBMENU, IT ISN'T USED FOR THIS CONTROLLER at least for now

Under Weapons II

Select each and choose your button. With the menu controls disabled, you should not get weird results now like backing out of the menu. THIS IS WHERE YOUR WEAPON CONTROLS ARE LOCATED for this controller.

Select anything you want under MISC
ETC.
==========================

Now if you want your joystick assigned to menu controls, now go back and assign them, but remember, to change many of the space controls you will need to disable them again
I found the same instructions posted somewhere else and followed them which really helped a lot. However, it did not solve the problem of having such a large dead zone which makes the game unplayable with my joy stick.

So, although it helped it still doesn't make Rebirth playable. At least no with my joy stick.

ronniejw
x3ap

Re: [FIX] Fix for those using LOGITECH joysticks/controllers....

Post by ronniejw » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 21:29

DrSysAdmin wrote:OK - if you have a LOGITECH controller, you can probably use the following to get it working in game. If your using another type, this won't help you at all..

For the record, this is what I did to get my Logitech Extreme 3d pro working.

First, remap what you can in game. Usually this is nothing but Pitch/Yaw/Roll/Throttle. It is ok if that is all you can do, because we will get all the other buttons working next.

To make your Logitech controller work, you need to have the Logitech profiler installed. Download it direct from Logitech's web site.

Next, I strongly suggest you create a "profile" for X:Rebirth using the profiler. This will let you switch to a controller setup you will customize just for the game.

Now, I am going to walk through mapping a few buttons - and you follow the same steps to do the rest. In this example, we will use the following:

B1 will fire the main gun.
B3 will swap guns.
B4 will swap missiles.

In the profiler, select B1, then select keystroke -> new keystroke.
This will open a new window. Click the "record" button, then press the CTRL key, then click "stop". You should see CTRL in the window showing it was recorded. Hit "ok" at the bottom of the window. Now, when you are in game and press B1 (usually the main "trigger" button) - the game will receive a CTRL input, and will fire your gun. CTRL is the keyboard command for fire gun.

Now - if you look in X: Rebirth keyboard commands, you see that "change gun" is the "G" key when in space. OK, so in the Logitech profiler, select whatever button you want to use to swap guns - in our example B3 - and do the select keystroke -> new keystroke. This will again open a new window. Click the "record" button, then press the G key, then click "stop". You should see G in the window showing it was recorded. Hit "ok" at the bottom of the window. Now when you press B3 (or whatever button you selected) - the game receives a "G" keyboard command and cycles your gun.

One last time - B4 will be change missile. Again, look at X:Rebirth keyboard commands. The command we want this time is keystroke M. So select B4 (or whatever you will use), select keystroke -> new keystroke. This will again open a new window. Click the "record" button, then press the M key, then click "stop". You should see M in the window showing it was recorded. Hit "ok" at the bottom of the window. Now when you press B4 (or whatever button you selected) - the game receives a "M" keyboard command and cycles your missile.

Just find what keyboard command the game needs and map it to whichever button on your controller you want to use for it. I have had success in making everything work, including using my "hat" for strafing.

Hope this helps some of you.
Yes, I also set up a profile and got everything working fine for me except that nothing I've been able to do has fixed the large dead zone which makes playing this game with my joy stick impossible. Having all the buttons and trigger working doesn't help if you can't steer the ship well.

Dirk-Jan
x4

Re: Joystick binding issues: Twist axis, Logitech Extreme 3d pro. Also button 2

Post by Dirk-Jan » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 22:16

s9ilent wrote:I'm unable to bind the roll axis for the logitech extreme 3d pro. It keeps saying right trigger and twisting the axis will result in firing the weapons (even thou fire is not bound to right trigger any more)

Also I'm unable to bind several other buttons (specifically button 2)

Yep same here with logitech extreme 3d pro. Worked perfectly in X3AP. Not all new things are good to put it mildly
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 22:22

good point, this is a shabby workaround
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 22:23

ronniejw wrote:
DrSysAdmin wrote:OK - if you have a LOGITECH controller, you can probably use the following to get it working in game. If your using another type, this won't help you at all..

For the record, this is what I did to get my Logitech Extreme 3d pro working.

First, remap what you can in game. Usually this is nothing but Pitch/Yaw/Roll/Throttle. It is ok if that is all you can do, because we will get all the other buttons working next.

To make your Logitech controller work, you need to have the Logitech profiler installed. Download it direct from Logitech's web site.

Next, I strongly suggest you create a "profile" for X:Rebirth using the profiler. This will let you switch to a controller setup you will customize just for the game.

Now, I am going to walk through mapping a few buttons - and you follow the same steps to do the rest. In this example, we will use the following:

B1 will fire the main gun.
B3 will swap guns.
B4 will swap missiles.

In the profiler, select B1, then select keystroke -> new keystroke.
This will open a new window. Click the "record" button, then press the CTRL key, then click "stop". You should see CTRL in the window showing it was recorded. Hit "ok" at the bottom of the window. Now, when you are in game and press B1 (usually the main "trigger" button) - the game will receive a CTRL input, and will fire your gun. CTRL is the keyboard command for fire gun.

Now - if you look in X: Rebirth keyboard commands, you see that "change gun" is the "G" key when in space. OK, so in the Logitech profiler, select whatever button you want to use to swap guns - in our example B3 - and do the select keystroke -> new keystroke. This will again open a new window. Click the "record" button, then press the G key, then click "stop". You should see G in the window showing it was recorded. Hit "ok" at the bottom of the window. Now when you press B3 (or whatever button you selected) - the game receives a "G" keyboard command and cycles your gun.

One last time - B4 will be change missile. Again, look at X:Rebirth keyboard commands. The command we want this time is keystroke M. So select B4 (or whatever you will use), select keystroke -> new keystroke. This will again open a new window. Click the "record" button, then press the M key, then click "stop". You should see M in the window showing it was recorded. Hit "ok" at the bottom of the window. Now when you press B4 (or whatever button you selected) - the game receives a "M" keyboard command and cycles your missile.

Just find what keyboard command the game needs and map it to whichever button on your controller you want to use for it. I have had success in making everything work, including using my "hat" for strafing.

Hope this helps some of you.
Yes, I also set up a profile and got everything working fine for me except that nothing I've been able to do has fixed the large dead zone which makes playing this game with my joy stick impossible. Having all the buttons and trigger working doesn't help if you can't steer the ship well.

Good point, this is a shabby workaround (but it works, I grant you that). Will leave you frustrated in dogfights.....
{playing since X-BTF}

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 7. Dec 13, 00:44

ronniejw wrote: ...nothing I've been able to do has fixed the large dead zone which makes playing this game with my joy stick impossible.
The dead zone issue remains a problem for ALL joystick users regardless of workarounds.

Just remove whatever is causing the deadzone, its not like gamepad users are in a majority here...

Spacezilla

Logitech profile not working - help please

Post by Spacezilla » Sat, 7. Dec 13, 22:54

I am using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - I have created a profile using Logitech's software and linked that to the X Rebirth executable in my Steam folder. The profile uses the keyboard commands linked to buttons on the joystick.

I start the game from the profiler but my controls do not follow the mapping in the profile.

I also cleared out the joystick mappings for "Space" in the game except for the stick controls and throttle.

What should I be doing to get the Logitech profile to work. I must be missing something basic as so many people have got this working.

Help is much appreciated!

Suburban39
x3

Post by Suburban39 » Sat, 14. Dec 13, 14:14

Thank you for registering your game

MessagePosté le: Sam, 14. Déc 13, 14:31 Sujet du message: Répondre en citant Editer/Supprimer ce message Print Supprimer ce message

I had the same issue. I use the Thrustmaster Warthog and the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. To make it all work, I have assigned the Warthog axis as follow :
JOYX = DX_ROT_AXIS
JOYY = DX_YROT_AXIS

SCX = NONE
SCY = NONE
THRRIGHT = DX_Z_AXIS (+ revert axis)
THRLEFT = NONE
THRFC = NONE

To set axis in game:
1- disconnect rudder
2- put all commands to center (to avoid detection)
3- in the settings (Joystick - in space):
a) To disable the Yaw axis, select Yaw and move your stick forward or backward
b) select Pitch and move the stick forward or backward - it will appear as LEFT STICK VERTICAL (Yaw shoud now appear as N/A)
c) select Roll and move the stick left or right - it wil appear as LEFT STICK HORIZONTAL
d) select Throttle and move your right throttel forward or backward - it will appear as LEFT TRIGGER
4- put your throttle at mid course (to avoid detection)
5- Go to the settings Joystick in station and do the same to obtain :
WALK = LEFT STICK VERTICAL
SIDE WALK = N/A
TURN LEFT-RIGHT = LEFT STICK HORIZONTAL
MOVE UP/DOWN = N/A
6- save the settings and exit the game
7- plug in the rudder
8- restart the game
9- Go to the axis settings menu joystick in space and select YAW
10 - then press both toe brakes half course to avoid detection and maintain as you move your rudder pedals. When the axis is set to RIGHT TRIGGER, your are good to go. Be patient, this step is quite difficult.

For me, it works perfectly and this is the best solution I found so far.
Hope it can help the comunity.

thomassanford
x4

Extreme 3D Pro

Post by thomassanford » Sat, 14. Dec 13, 17:40

I got my extreme 3d pro working pretty well. I was having all the binding problems and such so here is what i did.
1)went to gamepad/joystick section in controls and removed all bindingsin all categories by going through each command then press 'enter' then 'delete' it will set it to N/A
2)Went back and set main flight controls yaw,pitch,roll(twist registers as right trigger but works fine),throttle,trigger for gun,button 2 for missles(set weapon controls in weapon II fields). Will need to invert some controls as well.
3)used profiler software on hat to emulate A,W,S,D for strafe
So flight controls were complete..that leaves you 10 buttons to map how you want and if the game doesn't take them just use the profiler to emulate the commands in the K/M section works pretty well.

Only thing I found I can not set to my liking is the control of the abilities menu can map a button to pull it up but need the mouse to select so it isn't perfect.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Sun, 15. Dec 13, 01:06

BigBANGtheory wrote:There is a known dead zone issue with all controllers at the moment, its probably there to suit the gamepad analogue controls but for some bizarre reason is being applied to all analogue controllers :?

The best you can do is adjust your input axis curves at the driver level using control panel or the manufacturers software to get you out of the dead zone quickly. Not ideal, not a solution but it helps a little.

Although this is probably not the highest of priorities for Egosoft I would have thought this is one of the more straight forward bugs to fix.
The Deadzone issue drives me crazy on my Logitech Force 3D Pro (it is identical to the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro except mine has Force Feedback). Anyhow, there is close to 20% deadzone on the stick in the game and I cannot remove it. Even when I put my Deadzone settings to Zero in Logitech Profiler! It makes it extremely difficult to control my ship with precision!

I hope they fix this soon!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

ziporama

Post by ziporama » Sun, 15. Dec 13, 04:32

The issue doesn't appear to be at all what position the controllers (drivers, directinput) report to the game - the game just handles the input in its own way and you currently have no control over curves or deadzones as interpreted by the game.

If so, there is no amount of tweaking that will modify the behavior if it is hardcoded in the game.

Joystick input is one of the areas of improvements listed in the to-do list.

Z.

Horniak

Post by Horniak » Fri, 27. Dec 13, 00:27

Hmm I thought that I would give the game a chance tonight since I bought it at release and have now been waiting a while hoping it will be playable. But that it still can't handle joystick inputs correctly is just plain pathetic.

What were they thinking? IT'S A SPACE SIM...

Guess I'll have to wait a few months more... bah...

skarden

:(

Post by skarden » Fri, 27. Dec 13, 01:38

I'm in the same boat mate.
As a massive flight sim enthusiast who's also been getting into racing of late I have quiet a collection of controllers that are constantly plugged in, the idea of having to unplugging them all and then dicking around with the configuration in some ridiculous way just to get my joystick to work seems incredibly silly, and as you say it's a SPACE SIM this should not be an issue!!

It's a shame cause when I did start it up to set it up it looked and ran amazing, and from what I've read is a game I would HIGHLY enjoy, but I just want to use my stick and rudders to controll it, it's certainly quiet the oversight by egosoft to not have factored this in.

The games shelved for now untill it gets proper controller support.

Actually to be honest does anyone even know if this is being worked on? they've been bangin out game fix patches in very commendable quick succession, so surely this is on the list.........right?

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”