General Joystick/Pedal/Controller/Gamepad issues [Q&A CUI-2]

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thomassanford
x4

Extreme 3D Pro

Post by thomassanford » Sat, 14. Dec 13, 17:40

I got my extreme 3d pro working pretty well. I was having all the binding problems and such so here is what i did.
1)went to gamepad/joystick section in controls and removed all bindingsin all categories by going through each command then press 'enter' then 'delete' it will set it to N/A
2)Went back and set main flight controls yaw,pitch,roll(twist registers as right trigger but works fine),throttle,trigger for gun,button 2 for missles(set weapon controls in weapon II fields). Will need to invert some controls as well.
3)used profiler software on hat to emulate A,W,S,D for strafe
So flight controls were complete..that leaves you 10 buttons to map how you want and if the game doesn't take them just use the profiler to emulate the commands in the K/M section works pretty well.

Only thing I found I can not set to my liking is the control of the abilities menu can map a button to pull it up but need the mouse to select so it isn't perfect.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Sun, 15. Dec 13, 01:06

BigBANGtheory wrote:There is a known dead zone issue with all controllers at the moment, its probably there to suit the gamepad analogue controls but for some bizarre reason is being applied to all analogue controllers :?

The best you can do is adjust your input axis curves at the driver level using control panel or the manufacturers software to get you out of the dead zone quickly. Not ideal, not a solution but it helps a little.

Although this is probably not the highest of priorities for Egosoft I would have thought this is one of the more straight forward bugs to fix.
The Deadzone issue drives me crazy on my Logitech Force 3D Pro (it is identical to the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro except mine has Force Feedback). Anyhow, there is close to 20% deadzone on the stick in the game and I cannot remove it. Even when I put my Deadzone settings to Zero in Logitech Profiler! It makes it extremely difficult to control my ship with precision!

I hope they fix this soon!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

ziporama

Post by ziporama » Sun, 15. Dec 13, 04:32

The issue doesn't appear to be at all what position the controllers (drivers, directinput) report to the game - the game just handles the input in its own way and you currently have no control over curves or deadzones as interpreted by the game.

If so, there is no amount of tweaking that will modify the behavior if it is hardcoded in the game.

Joystick input is one of the areas of improvements listed in the to-do list.

Z.

Horniak

Post by Horniak » Fri, 27. Dec 13, 00:27

Hmm I thought that I would give the game a chance tonight since I bought it at release and have now been waiting a while hoping it will be playable. But that it still can't handle joystick inputs correctly is just plain pathetic.

What were they thinking? IT'S A SPACE SIM...

Guess I'll have to wait a few months more... bah...

skarden

:(

Post by skarden » Fri, 27. Dec 13, 01:38

I'm in the same boat mate.
As a massive flight sim enthusiast who's also been getting into racing of late I have quiet a collection of controllers that are constantly plugged in, the idea of having to unplugging them all and then dicking around with the configuration in some ridiculous way just to get my joystick to work seems incredibly silly, and as you say it's a SPACE SIM this should not be an issue!!

It's a shame cause when I did start it up to set it up it looked and ran amazing, and from what I've read is a game I would HIGHLY enjoy, but I just want to use my stick and rudders to controll it, it's certainly quiet the oversight by egosoft to not have factored this in.

The games shelved for now untill it gets proper controller support.

Actually to be honest does anyone even know if this is being worked on? they've been bangin out game fix patches in very commendable quick succession, so surely this is on the list.........right?

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 31. Dec 13, 19:45

Regarding a Logitech attack 3:

I downloaded the profiler and can finally play game using my joystick as IJAN advised a couple of posts back yes it is a work around but I can add that I am not having dead zone issues at all I thought I would post this as soon as I managed to get the game playing will have to see how it works with a mouse on station etc but at least I am closer to making the game playable thanks for all the help and advice people.

Horniak

Post by Horniak » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 17:25

Would be nice with some info from Egosoft about these joystick issues.

Will they fix joystick support in a nearby future update? And do they have any ETA on this?

Kinda bad that there's no response at all in a thread this big...

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 18:18

I read on Bernn's list in Rebirth news and joystick issues were at the top, unfortunately resolutions for joystick issues are not in the beta being tested at the moment so who knows.

If you don't have the same Joystick as I do perhaps a similar approach using your own devices downloadable profiler will ease the pain somewhat.

In conclusion:

As promised I have put some more time in on the game and the joystick will go forwards or backwards only.
Left and right arrows work for turning but it is still clumsy.

There is also a problem with targeting but that is a known issue that is supposed to be being addressed. (Hopefully that will resolve the issues I am having with this).

In the interim any advice on a workaround would be appreciated do I have to rebind the mouse or arrow keys and is so in what sequence I am making changes and testing one at a time and it is a tedious process.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 1. Jan 14, 19:44

shaun bergin wrote:I read on Bernn's list in Rebirth news and joystick issues were at the top...
No its performance, stability and game breaking bugs which are top of the list.

I think game controllers are 2nd Phase improvements, apparently some 2nd Phase improvements have been started but as to which ones, who knows? :roll:

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 10. Jan 14, 21:43

Anybody got this ... Progressive throttle with tension adjustment, detents for afterburner and idle ..... to work properly using X 52 pro. ..... I only get full acceleration using full throttle after passing detents for boost/afterburner..... Any help appreciated even if it's just to say "don't work yet " .......Sorted ..my mistake .. dim wit.

svarni
x4

Post by svarni » Sat, 25. Jan 14, 12:34

Lazerath wrote:The Deadzone issue drives me crazy on my Logitech Force 3D Pro (it is identical to the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro except mine has Force Feedback). Anyhow, there is close to 20% deadzone on the stick in the game and I cannot remove it. Even when I put my Deadzone settings to Zero in Logitech Profiler! It makes it extremely difficult to control my ship with precision!

I hope they fix this soon!
I think, the deadzone is fixed to exactly 25% (not only 20%). Measured it for my Thrustmaster TopGun Afterburner II in window mode with the joystick property windows aside: input ranges from -127 to +128 (or so) having no ingame movement between -31 and +32 (or so). That's the deadzone predefined in X Rebirth. In X2 I used to have a deadzone around 3%... this is "X R...idiculous".

I suppose they have focused so strongly on the X-Box controller (what piece of crap is that to need 25% deadzone?!? - i have two gamepads from Thrustmaster, they have a perfect zero point!) that they have no possibility to adjust controls on a low physical level. Tinker around with your own xbox controller .DLL and get banned on steam? Way to go!

Omg.

PS: is anyone else annoyed by the fact that the thrust axis has its zero point exactly in the middle? I need to center the thrust controller to have my ship not moving. Thanks god, this axis also has a ridiculous large deadzone...
Or does this problem only occur to me? I would like to define the zero point on my own. And I want auto-turbo when thrust >95% (or a self-defined level) and I want that in minus 2 months at latest. Damn, who needs precise control of backwards speed?

Tanooshman
x4

Re: *Joystick* How to configure your Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Post by Tanooshman » Sun, 9. Feb 14, 22:47

THANK YOU Cylie !
Cyllie wrote:For those having Joystick issues, this is how it is configured on Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro

It's tricky, I know, but it DOES work.

First you want to disable your joystick menu controls:
===================================
ESC>Settings>Controls>(Controller/Joystick)Menus

Select each option one by one and assign it to button 8 (or another, doesn't matter). Make sure the as each time you assign it to a new option, the previous one says N/A.

Don't worry about the two options under Misc, by default they should read Left Stick(horizontal) and (vertical), but at this point these two do not matter. You just need to disable the menu controls.

The last option should be Dialog Menu Interaction, you can just leave Button 8 Assigned here.
==================================
Next Press ESC to go back a menu

Under Controller/Joystick again look for Space, it should be the first one in this subsection.

Select "Yaw" and tilt your joystick to the side...strafe left/right should go N/A and Yaw should change to "Left Stick (Horizontal)"

Select "Pitch" and tilt your joystick up...similar results but this time Strafe Up/Down should change to N/A

Select Throttle and move your slider

If you want your Steering assigned to buttons, then select each and do that now

IGNORE THE WEAPONS SUBMENU, IT ISN'T USED FOR THIS CONTROLLER at least for now

Under Weapons II

Select each and choose your button. With the menu controls disabled, you should not get weird results now like backing out of the menu. THIS IS WHERE YOUR WEAPON CONTROLS ARE LOCATED for this controller.

Select anything you want under MISC
ETC.
==========================

Now if you want your joystick assigned to menu controls, now go back and assign them, but remember, to change many of the space controls you will need to disable them again
DIY system
MIS Z68 board
i5 2500K 3.83 quad chip
MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti video
8 Gig mem
64 Gig SSD Cache (SRT)
1.5Tb Hard
X3:Rebirth, TC

Tanooshman
x4

Post by Tanooshman » Sun, 9. Feb 14, 22:51

Thank you ForceX
ForceX wrote:I was able to setup my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Game Settings :
Autoroll = off : Prevents joystick Roll from auto centering.

Controls:
Controller / Joystick:
Yaw = Left Stick (Horizontal) / Invert = Normal
Pitch = Left Stick (Vertical) / Invert = Inverted
Roll = Right Trigger / Invert = Inverted
Throttle = Slider 1

Weapons II:
Fire weapon = Button 1
Fire missile = Button 3
DIY system
MIS Z68 board
i5 2500K 3.83 quad chip
MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti video
8 Gig mem
64 Gig SSD Cache (SRT)
1.5Tb Hard
X3:Rebirth, TC

kuznet

Does not work joystic Logitech G640

Post by kuznet » Sun, 11. May 14, 19:14

Does not work joystic Logitech G640
Does not see pedals
How to increase number of supported controllers (to three)?

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Sun, 11. May 14, 19:40

This appeared to work on Warthog with pedals ..
Set up your joystick ( without pedals ) .....save settings and exit.
plug in the rudder
restart game
go to axis settings , select yaw
then press both toe brakes half course to avoid detection and maintain as you move your rudder pedals. When the axis is set to RIGHT TRIGGER, your are good to go. Be patient, this step is quite difficult.

I copied this from an earlier thread so it might be of help ...but should be sorted in May Big Patch

Good Luck.

Shootist
x4

Re: Does not work joystic Logitech G640

Post by Shootist » Sun, 11. May 14, 19:51

kuznet wrote:Does not work joystic Logitech G640
Does not see pedals
How to increase number of supported controllers (to three)?
necro'd a post, i think.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 12. May 14, 12:45

Yes, please don't dig up old posts. Recent patches have made significant changes to control handling, and information in old threads such as this is likely to be misleading or just plain wrong.

Please start a new thread, kuznet, and provide the information requested at the top of the forum.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”