General Joystick/Pedal/Controller/Gamepad issues [Q&A CUI-2]

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

crumbsdm
x4

Post by crumbsdm » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 00:10

pirke123 wrote:I have no joystick issues. I also use the HAT switch for strafing after a little hack in the inputmap.xml: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351778
I looked at the inputmap.xml in Documents\Egosoft\X Rebirth\ as discussed in that post and I think it actually holds and fixes all the problems. I might look at it more carefully if I get the time (ie after Xmas * sigh *)

Devilize
x3tc

[Bug]? Combined Input from joystick and keyboard problem.

Post by Devilize » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 03:19

Hi, I use my joystick, Extreme 3d pro from logitech, and my keyboard to fly in x games, i bind my pitch and roll to my joystick and my yaw to my a/d to make pin point rapid accuracy easily attainable. When using these settings in rebirth i cannot use yaw input while rolling or pitching at the same time. basically i have to put my joystick at center before using yaw or stop yaw before i can pitch or roll. Any solutions would be helpful. atm im replacing yaw with strafe but its not my preference.
Two things are necessary to survive in life. 1. Don't share everything you know.

normntaz
x4

Post by normntaz » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 18:08

I have almost the exact same setup. The only thing I did differently was I didn't map the toebrake axes.

The ability to use the thumbstick on the PT is a major improvement over the original X series once I figured out how to get it working.

I don't know if this observation has been made before (I didn't read all 14 pages of posts.), but I was having the problem where moving around in FPS mode with the mouse would stop working. I found that if I centered my throttle (i.e. the same position where ship speed would be zero), I did not have the mouse problem. I think it is another case of these "hidden inputs" that you mention.

ziporama wrote:So, what I ended up doing on my CH Products gear was to combine the throttle (it has 3 axes - throttle + thumb stick x/y), the stick (3 axes - x/y + throttle wheel) and the pedals (3 axis, rudder + left/right toe) into a single virtual device (CM1) using the CH manager.

DirectInput limitations, which I assume apply to XR because it has to use DirectInput somewhere as it's DirectX based, we find the following axis mapping per device (physical or virtual) - this is based on the MS documentation on device capabilities for DirectInput (version 8 being the latest and last):

X, Y, Z, RX, RY, RZ, S1, S2 (R meaning rotation, S meaning slider) for a total of 8 possible axis mapping per device. There's an additional POV too.

Because I have 9 axes total across all controllers I want to use, and a single device can only support 8, I ended up not using the throttle on the stick. The other thing is that the sliders cannot be centered axes, which is fine for toe brakes. That covers all the axes (so, I have the stick x mapped to yaw, stick Y to pitch, throttle to throttle (centered so forward and reverse), thumb x to strafe left/right, thumb y to strafe up/down, and rudder z to roll. I have the toe brakes mapped via keyboard to full stop and full forward.

It looks from my testing that XR will in fact recognize all 8 axes per device, and you can use the directinput names in the inputmap.xml file in lieu of the Xbox360 controller names (these show up both in the xml file and the game UI). What's not clear to me yet is how XR handles multiple devices it detects internally. It maps inputs (and certainly buttons) to functions on my throttle quad even when I haven't mapped them specifically - something that actually drives me crazy because I can't turn it off and I have no idea how to turn if off because it doesn't show up in any mapping file.

For mapping complicated joystick axes, I recommend that you exit the game and just modify the xml map file directly (it's in "my documents/egosoft/<some number>/inputmap.xml) so that any weird joystick movement (flutter) doesn't mess up the mapping using the game's menu interface. The game is very sensitive to any axis pickup and will sometimes trigger a read when you don't want to.
Buttons are a lot less problematic because they won't register a movement like a fluttering axis will, so that seems to work better in the in-game controller setup.

I still think that XR should have a control mapping UI specific to the XBox360 controller if you have one, and lets you turn that off and conform to the standard directinput device list for any non xbox devices. It should also display which device number and axis it's mapping so you verify it mapped the correct axis.

If I don't have an X button, for heavens sake call it device 1, button 1 or whatever it is!

It's very confusing to map controls to the game when the names do not match the input names on the device you're using. To add to the confusion, the game auto-switches (which probably was a good idea at the time) and creates mappings on its own that will make no sense (such as, mapping an axis to the fire primary weapon that causes you to shoot continuously when you're not even touching the controls lol).

Hope this helps others map their stuff.

Z.

ziporama

Post by ziporama » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 14:39

normntaz wrote:I have almost the exact same setup. The only thing I did differently was I didn't map the toebrake axes.

The ability to use the thumbstick on the PT is a major improvement over the original X series once I figured out how to get it working.

I don't know if this observation has been made before (I didn't read all 14 pages of posts.), but I was having the problem where moving around in FPS mode with the mouse would stop working. I found that if I centered my throttle (i.e. the same position where ship speed would be zero), I did not have the mouse problem. I think it is another case of these "hidden inputs" that you mention.

Glad someone else uses CH Products stuff! I really like mine and I've had them for years.

I may have a workaround for the throttle not centered thing moving your FP avatar:

I ended up using "position mode" on the pro-pedals toe axes, one is mapped to full stop (the position string is NULL BKSPC ), the other is mapped to "exit highway", which is one of those you can't change the keyboard mapping for, but it's set to Z (the position string is NULL z). When I press the toe pedals, it sends either backspace or z, and sends nothing on pedal release. This comes in handy because it allows me to center the throttle in FP mode or in space and thus come to a dead stop easily, and it is also is very convenient to get out of the highway (and gives my toe axes some purpose). Curiously, it turns out that hitting Z or backspace in a highway gets you out regardless.

Still exploring the possibilities. What I still don't get is how buttons I have never mapped still trigger some function or other - I seemingly end up shooting missiles or firing my main weapon for any unmapped button press so I have to be very careful what I touch...

Z.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 18:50

pirke123 wrote:I have no joystick issues. I also use the HAT switch for strafing after a little hack in the inputmap.xml: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351778
Do you not see the deadzone issue?

Devilize
x3tc

Post by Devilize » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 17:46

Oh come on, am I not in the right place to request help on this or something? At least a response from a dev with something like - "we dont know you're screwed", "we'll look into that", or "the next patch will resolve that issue."
Two things are necessary to survive in life. 1. Don't share everything you know.

Lavandel
x4

Post by Lavandel » Sun, 24. Nov 13, 19:17

According to this Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egosoft, EgoSoft is about 20 employees.

There's no chance in h.ll they can fix a game like this in 3 days (the time it took you to ask again).

Do what everyone else with problems does. Go play something else for a month or two and we might have a working tradesystem in the game.
This you need for you to want to use your joystick at all in the game :wink:

Cheers.

oldmanau
x3tc

joystick help

Post by oldmanau » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 01:51

hi how is everyone,i have a Logitech extreme 3d pro and I still cannot
calibrate it.i am playing with patch 1.17 but I still cannot calibrate it.
am I doing some thing wrong.if some one could give an old man some
very clear insructions it would help.thank you. :)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 01:56

Calibrate it? The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a self-calibrating stick (never had to calibrate mine). You may need to ensure you have the Logitech Wingman Game Controller software installed though.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

oldmanau
x3tc

joystick controll

Post by oldmanau » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 03:01

I have controller software installed but still no luck.tried every thing but not working.it calibrates in the software but not the game. :(

D.O.S.
x4

Post by D.O.S. » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 03:25

OS:MS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Cpu: AMD-FX Piledriver 8350 @4.0Ghz / Mb:GA-990FXA-UD3 / Memory:16Gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical @1866
Gpu:Gigabyte Nvidia 770GTX 4GB GDDR5 / Storage:Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB System, WD Caviar Green 2TB HD Data & Games / Display:24" Asus VG248 1920 x 1080 @144Hz + Nvidia 3D Vision Kit
Input Devices:Razer Deathstalker / Razer Oruoboros / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog / BroadBand:EE 4GEE MobileBroadBand (50Gb PCM)

oldmanau
x3tc

joystick

Post by oldmanau » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 05:00

tried same still no good.hope egosoft will fix in future patch.they are a good company who always looks after their customers. :)

Dirk-Jan
x4

Also the Logitec extreme 3d pro doesn't work correctly

Post by Dirk-Jan » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 21:43

Worked perfectly up to X-AP but now it's a pain. I'm glad I didn't buy the game yet (I tried to by the way but it isn't available in the Netherlands except via Steam probably). So I can't even pass the intro.
Needless to say (but I do it anyway): very discouraging.

I'm not sure what to think of it all and I'm with X from beyond the frontier.
By the looks of it, it even looks like this game wil kill the X Universe. But that's for another forum.
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 06:43

how do I dock with a joystick attached?

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 10:17

You have to map your controller button(s) / axis to the radial menu controls until Egosoft opens up the hotkeys and changes the options.

Kayden
x4

Post by Kayden » Sun, 1. Dec 13, 11:28

I really wanted to buy this game because I have been getting so hyped up for Star Citizen. I didn't pre-purchase cause of my own reasons but now that I have the cash to do it, I sure as heck wont purchase it now! I demand support for joysticks when a game falls under the category of flight or space sims. Egosoft feel free to call me when the X52 is properly supported, the game breaking bugs are fixed, the performance isn't crap-tacular and it's listed for $15.

:evil: :evil:

Roger 1
x3

Post by Roger 1 » Sun, 1. Dec 13, 17:14

I understood before I bought the game that joysticks are not useable - it had to be mouse or XBox 360. I have very reluctantly bought a wireless xbox controller to replace the joystick I used for previous X games. There are no instruction about how to do this. I mean do I just put the batteries in and hope?
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Mon, 2. Dec 13, 02:44

I worked it out, and I've managed to get my X65 to a totally working solution so I am happy.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 2. Dec 13, 10:32

Orion1632 wrote:I worked it out, and I've managed to get my X65 to a totally working solution so I am happy.
Do you see* the deadzone problem on your X65?

*or feel it is perhaps more applicable in your case

ronniejw
x3ap

Problem using Logitech's Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

Post by ronniejw » Wed, 4. Dec 13, 08:58

Whenever I try to steer with my joy stick I have to move it about an inch before the ship responds. It makes the stick useless. I don't have this problem when I play X3 TC. Any advice you can give to correct this problem would be great.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”