Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tero
x4

Post by tero » Sat, 27. Feb 16, 15:05

SInce the new update the game won't start anymore, all i get is a message that the steam-client can't be found. (which is running of course) Both dlcs are installed.
I'm on Mint 17.4 with a amd 8350 and a nvidia with proprietary drivers.

EDIT: Nevermind - after a reboot the game is working again :)

btw: good work with this port :)
Waat dat wat? Dat waat wat!

kerberizer
x4

Re: Game hang while loading new areas

Post by kerberizer » Sat, 27. Feb 16, 15:31

sirdeiu wrote:(...) (using opensource radeon+mesa drivers), the game is hanging while loading a new area. For example while in a highway and entering a new sector, the game hangs for a while (while either the area is loaded or maybe shaders get compiled), or entering a station and walking etc. (...) Any way to fix this ? If it's shaders, maybe the new shader cache support in mesa will help ? (...) Or am I the only one getting this and it's something on my end.
You aren't.

But first, __huge__ thanks to @timon37 from me as well! I've been genuinely impressed and even amazed with the quality of this port -- particularly on the open source drivers -- from the very first alpha. The love and devotion that had obviously been put into this has certainly made me a devout follower of Egosoft -- and I'd gladly prove my devotion with my wallet on every possible occasion. So, @timon37, if you haven't yet asked for a pay rise -- now may be the time. :wink: Seriously though, great job, indeed!

Back on the locking issue: I've had this -- or very similar -- problem since the first alpha. It is most pronounced in the highways, indeed, where the game would freeze for a second to several seconds very often, usually (but not always, at least from what the human eye can see) when new objects pop up. In the alpha, this also lead to white rectangles being visible during the freeze, before an appropriate object icon took their place once the freeze was resolved. I made some tests back then on the lowest settings and resolution and noticed that during freezes one thread seemed to occupy the whole CPU time: AssetEnabler if my memory serves me well. The white rectangles problem has been since solved, but I'm mentioning that for the record.

The latest experiences: just before HoL, the freezes seemed to be fewer in general, but travelling on the highways still could become a PITA at times. Worse though, I've had on a couple of occasions freezes -- interestingly, not on the highways, but just flying around stations -- that never seemed to resolve, at least for many tens of seconds.

As for the newest 4.0 version, unfortunately I haven't yet tested a civilized enough sector -- I just fell in love with Toride -- but the experience outside of highways has been so far extremely pleasing visual quality- and performance-wise. The freezes outside of highways still _do_ happen, and in one case (strangely enough, it was simply near an empty jump gate) it took quite many seconds (probably 10-15) to resolve.

From what I've read around, the culprit probably is indeed the shader compilation, and the shader cache (even not being a true on-disk one) will likely help (a lot, perhaps?), but I suppose @timon37 can better answer this. Sadly, Mesa built with these commits currently leads to nasty GPU faults for me, so I haven't yet had the chance to properly test them.

Once again, though, truly outstanding job on the Linux port!

kerberizer
x4

Post by kerberizer » Sat, 27. Feb 16, 16:17

Oh, I actually forgot to mention a second problem that I've encountered. I haven't yet tested it in 4.0, but in 3.61 (pre HoL) enabling shadows with any quality (even low) was leading to very low framerates on _some_ stations (just to be clear: when landed, not in space). Again, that's on the radeonsi Mesa driver (usually latest Git and always latest LLVM from svn since I currently maintain the respective AURs for Arch Linux). I'll see if the problem persists with 4.0 and report back with more details if it does.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Sat, 27. Feb 16, 16:27

Hello,

As I recently switched to a big-ass 4K display, I decided its time to ditch my X3:TC/AP XRM games and join the cool people @X:R :) *

However, not all is smooth sailing.
My X52 joystick that more or less worked out of the box in all the X series games (X2/linux, X3:R linux, X3TC/wine and X3AP/linux) doesn't really work under X:R.
1. The games seems to see 3-4 axies out of the joystick's 11. E.g. I cannot use any of the POV (either axis ones or "botton" ones) to strife, same goes for actual POVs.
2. Deadzone value seem to be ignored.

BTW, even on a lowly GF780 (non-TI) @4K on "high", performance seems to be acceptable. Kudos to the people involved in this Linux port!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

- Gilboa
* Actually, being old with less-than-perfect eye sight, I need a telescope size magnifier glass to see the tiny fonts in X3AP, but lets leave it at that...
X2 Linux (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:R Linux w/ XTM (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:TC w/ XRM (under wine).
Heavily modified X3:AP Linux w/ XRM.
Modified X4 Linux w/ VRO.
Machine: 2 x E5-2658V2, 32G, 8TB RAID10, 1080GTX, Dell UP3216Q 4K LCD.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Sat, 27. Feb 16, 17:13

@gilboa: Can you double-check somewhere in the config options that it's actually configured to be a joystick? The default is "controller" ( =xbox-style ) and using that setup with a joystick leads to the weirdest defaults and generally doesn't do what you'd expect.

gilboa
x4

Post by gilboa » Sun, 28. Feb 16, 14:19

rboerdijk wrote:@gilboa: Can you double-check somewhere in the config options that it's actually configured to be a joystick? The default is "controller" ( =xbox-style ) and using that setup with a joystick leads to the weirdest defaults and generally doesn't do what you'd expect.
I can see the X52 in the Joystick selection screen.
I can see ~5 axis in the control customization menu (X/Y/Z and two "sliders").
I can more-or-less control the ship via X/Y/Z joystick axis (but only them).

In theory, (E.g. X3:AP) I should be able to select 11 different axis.

E.g. select "starf left/right" -> edit -> move the POV axis (axis 8/9 in evdev) -> select the axis.

- Gilboa
X2 Linux (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:R Linux w/ XTM (LGP).
Heavily modified X3:TC w/ XRM (under wine).
Heavily modified X3:AP Linux w/ XRM.
Modified X4 Linux w/ VRO.
Machine: 2 x E5-2658V2, 32G, 8TB RAID10, 1080GTX, Dell UP3216Q 4K LCD.

sirdeiu
x4

Post by sirdeiu » Sun, 28. Feb 16, 18:00

@kerberizer It seems we are on to something here regarding the shader cache, a user on phoronix forums reports things improved:
So far for me X Rebirth, Civ 5 and Metro Redux(es) are way more FPS stable now(Pending Cities Skylines since a mod is crashing it after the update beside traffic++)
And
this patch should not speed up any games, is not an optimization(normally at least), this avoid stalling the render thread while compile shaders over and over again during game play by just compiling shaders once and reuse from memory from that point onwards.

So Before patch

60fps -> 10fps(compiling) -> 60 fps -> 8 fps(compiling) -> 60fps ......

After patch

60 fps -> 10fps(compiling)-> 60fps -> 60fps(reusing) -> 60fpsfps -> 60 fps(reusing) .......

note this patch don't cache GS shaders yet, so tessalation can still trash up your fps for compilation but should be a lot less than before
See here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/li ... post853957

So now, I guess we need to wait for mesa to 11.2 with this feature.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Sun, 28. Feb 16, 18:53

just for information, no help wanted:

i finally got my new Lappy and installed ubuntu on it - and couldnt resist to try XR on it :D

well, the Framerate was stable - at 8fps in free space and 3 fps in Tubes :D but didnt really expect it would ran smoothly since this thing only has a Intel HD4000 i think.. still surprised a bit it worked at all ^^

Also another suggestion: would you enable the XR Tools for Linux? i know that they are not specifically written for it, but extracting seems to work fine via wine - currently extracting it :)

here my extract_XR_in_subfolder.sh which i use for this atm:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
mkdir ../X\ Rebirth/XR\ extracted
wine ./XRCatTool.exe -in ../X\ Rebirth/01.cat ../X\ Rebirth/02.cat ../X\ Rebirth/03.cat ../X\ Rebirth/04.cat ../X\ Rebirth/05.cat ../X\ Rebirth/06.cat ../X\ Rebirth/07.cat ../X\ Rebirth/08.cat ../X\ Rebirth/09.cat -out ../X\ Rebirth/XR\ extracted
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

aspbazi
x4

Post by aspbazi » Thu, 3. Mar 16, 04:44

I wrote Timon broken dead zone on the two joysticks.

- F310 Gamepad.
- Cobra Def M5.

Today xpad checked off and connection xboxdrv, no dead zone operation.

* For games and X3TC X3AP dead zone works.
* I checked a variety of games (15 units), working 100%.
IT-Service «Crimea-Karro» .

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 7. Mar 16, 00:57

just improved my extraction Script - now it also extracts all currently available Mods* and, if necessary, deletes previously extracted stuff so only the current files remain :)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd ../X\ Rebirth
echo "================================================================"
# Delete previously extracted Files - we want a fresh extraction
if [ -d XR_extracted ]; then 
  echo "============= removing previously extracted Files.. ============"
  rm -rf XR_extracted
  echo "============= done.™ ==========================================="
fi
# Create Folder for Extracting all Cats/Dats and extract them there
mkdir XR_extracted
echo "============= extracting current Game files... ================="
wine ../X\ Rebirth\ Tools/XRCatTool.exe -in *.cat -out XR_extracted
echo "============= done.™ ==========================================="
#
# Do the same for all Extensions present - seperate cases for subst(itute) and ext(ension) cats/dats
for f in extensions/*; do
  echo -ne "================================================================"\\r
  echo "=========== extracting $f "
  if [ -f "$f/ext_01.cat" ]; then
    echo "= ext part ====================================================="
    if [ -d "$f/ext" ]; then 
      rm -rf $f/ext
    fi
    mkdir "$f/ext"
    wine ../X\ Rebirth\ Tools/XRCatTool.exe -in $f/ext_*.cat -out "$f/ext"
  fi
  if [ -f "$f/subst_01.cat" ]; then
    echo "= subst part ===================================================="
    if [ -d "$f/subst" ]; then 
      rm -rf $f/subst
    fi
    mkdir "$f/subst"
    wine ../X\ Rebirth\ Tools/XRCatTool.exe -in $f/subst_*.cat -out "$f/subst"
  fi
  echo "= done.™ ======================================================="
done
echo "= Extraction of Game and Mod Files complete - have fun ;) ======"
*still has problems with Mod Folders containing a whitespace, but this is no priority to fix..
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

daret
x4

Post by daret » Mon, 7. Mar 16, 11:14

jeckhack wrote:Hi! First of all, thanks for 4.0 for linux. I've been waiting it since 2013, and it's great port.

But i have some strange problem since 4.0 beta (that was not the case in 3.61). When i start campaign and get to the Auspicious excavation for the first time to meet Borman's thip, when I enter the system there occurs some weird stuttering and fps drop, which persists no matter what I do. Flying to other systems, reload save doesn't help. Game just becomes jerky, like there's not enough ram. But I checked, and game uses just around 3GB of 12. CHanging graphics options has no effect. CPU load in this case no more than 50-55% on all cores, so it's not cpu bottleneck.

Specs: I3 4130, gtx 960, 12gb ram.
Otherwise, in Free Play, i maintain stable 45-60fps , completely smooth, with no hiccups or else. This problem appeared only since latest betas of 4.0 and on linux only.
Is this a known problem on linux version ?
Thanks

PS. I suspect that for in that area may cause this. I have stuttering even when in highway and Auspicious excavation system starts rendering far away.

P.P.s. Latest drivers, clean system, Openbox with no composite manager.
I got the same FPS drop an shuttering.
Almost the same configuration:
- GTX 960 4G with new 361 drivers
- AMD FX-6200
- 8GB RAM
- Openbox

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 7. Mar 16, 12:56

Caldazar wrote:Once I tried to set AA to 32.
Hmm, maybe you ran out of gpu memory? You can check with nvidia-smi, though probably not the case.
In general 16/32 on nvidia is really heavy even on high-end gpus, and it blurs the scene, so personally I don't suggest using it.
Caldazar wrote:I've come across some rendering glitches and bugs. I can't make a proper report yet, but Yisha looks especially strange. Maybe it's the shadows? Not sure.
Is the OpenGL render (theoretically) on par with the DirectX one, as far as graphic
Sometimes things do look a bit weird (also in dx9), in general it should look the same, although I recently found two more differences.
Best situation for me is if you can compare to dx9, if not just make a screenshots & savegames and post in the bugtracker (search first of course since some things are posted already).
Caldazar wrote: I want an ingame FPS counter [..] How can I do it?
Every time I launch XR, it creates a folder "GOG_Games?Rebirth" with a few subfolders in my home directory. The main problem is that this folder messes with bash autocompletion. Why is it there? What does it do? How can I get rid of it?
-showfps should work I'm guessing start.sh just doesn't pass it to the game, you could try carefully editing it.
Unfortunately the GOG team handles their packaging and I didn't see or test it, do they have some game specific forums?
I would appreciate it if you can ping them about these two issues. I'll also try to contact them when I've got a moment.

@sirdeiu & kerberizer
Hmm, the game generally doesn't ever wait for assets/shaders, if something isn't loaded it just doesn't get rendered.
However currently "loaded" means the right opengl commands have been issued, so I guess depending on how the driver handles stuff it could still cause stuttering.
Anyway I'd like both of you to test something, when these happen does the hardware cursor also freeze? You can try in windowed and without locking the ship-steering.
I recently noticed an issue with minecraft at home where I get similar stutter every once in a while, and it actually blocks the whole Xorg server for a second or two (I'm on pretty new mesa of course).

@aspbazi
You mean the in-game setting doesn't affect the deadzone?

Caldazar
x3tc

Post by Caldazar » Mon, 7. Mar 16, 14:57

timon37 wrote:-showfps should work I'm guessing start.sh just doesn't pass it to the game, you could try carefully editing it.
Your guess is correct. The script is very short so modifying it shouldn't be too difficult.
timon37 wrote:Unfortunately the GOG team handles their packaging and I didn't see or test it, do they have some game specific forums?
I would appreciate it if you can ping them about these two issues. I'll also try to contact them when I've got a moment.
I will but it might take a few days to get to it.

kerberizer
x4

Post by kerberizer » Tue, 8. Mar 16, 02:12

timon37 wrote:Hmm, the game generally doesn't ever wait for assets/shaders, if something isn't loaded it just doesn't get rendered.
However currently "loaded" means the right opengl commands have been issued, so I guess depending on how the driver handles stuff it could still cause stuttering.
Anyway I'd like both of you to test something, when these happen does the hardware cursor also freeze? You can try in windowed and without locking the ship-steering.
I recently noticed an issue with minecraft at home where I get similar stutter every once in a while, and it actually blocks the whole Xorg server for a second or two (I'm on pretty new mesa of course).
I need to test more, but here are some initial observations:

1) The issue is noticeably less frequent since the 4.0 update. In fact, it's now difficult to cleanly reproduce it: not that it happens that much less frequently, but rather the freeze durations are shorter. The only place where it seems to manifest reliably and for long enough seems to be the gate from "Sol Gate" in Toride to HoL.

2) It doesn't freeze the cursor or X in general. Quite the opposite: all radeontop counters (except for VRAM of course) drop to zero, so it rather looks that the game gets busy and can't push data to the driver subsystem fast enough. This is something that I forgot to mention in my first comment: I had noticed the same thing before too.

3) The GPU load drop is definitely inversely correlated with the activity of the "Asset Enabling" thread. In the now rare cases of stalls that are long enough (seconds) to be clearly observed, the GPU load drops to clean zero, while the "Asset Enabling" thread rises to 100% CPU utilization. Most of the time, they fluctuate of course, but to the naked eye it seems that it's indeed that thread that causes at least some of the lack of smoothness (it's clearly distinct from other cases of slowdowns, when e.g. the GPU pipeline gets to 100% load obviously because of too much work it has to do itself). Let me say again that these problems are mostly pronounced on the highways (and that gate I mentioned earlier -- probably others too, but haven't yet tested). In 4.0 they seem to be virtually nonexistent in the normal space (and on stations).

4) I tried to strace that thread to see what causes the spikes in its work, but so far couldn't get a clean picture. I do have a suspicion that the thread might be excessively waiting on the mmap() calls, but that really needs more investigation. However, if that turns out to be true, I wonder if it wouldn't be connected to the fact that I use ZFS. ZFS's ARC is not unknown to cause problems with memory allocation in specific situations with sudden spikes of memory pressure when it simply cannot free allocated memory fast enough. One thing that I'll have to try is restricting its size to a rather more conservative value than the default in order to eliminate possible interference from it.
sirdeiu wrote:@kerberizer It seems we are on to something here regarding the shader cache, a user on phoronix forums reports things improved:
(...)
See here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/li ... post853957

So now, I guess we need to wait for mesa to 11.2 with this feature.
It definitely looks promising! Unfortunately, I'm still stuck on Mesa commit 3c9ed20 (right before those changes), because of the GPU faults, and I still can't find time to properly bisect it to see if I can find the actual reason for the faults (I'm somewhat surprised that seemingly nobody else has complained, so it might be something specific to my particular setup).

kerberizer
x4

Post by kerberizer » Tue, 8. Mar 16, 02:38

@timon37, on a side note, while testing I noticed also this broken texture (?) in The Fallen Kingdom (and adjacent areas). I'm almost sure someone did already report it earlier, but couldn't find the report here or on the bug tracker (might've missed it, sorry). Of course, it's just a minor cosmetic glitch.

aspbazi
x4

Post by aspbazi » Thu, 10. Mar 16, 00:02

"You mean the in-game setting doesn't affect the deadzone?"

Yes. Not working.
IT-Service «Crimea-Karro» .

sirdeiu
x4

Post by sirdeiu » Fri, 11. Mar 16, 06:13

timon37 wrote: @sirdeiu & kerberizer
Hmm, the game generally doesn't ever wait for assets/shaders, if something isn't loaded it just doesn't get rendered.
Hi again,

So trying what you suggested, in windowed, the X server is not freezing and neither is the hardware mouse cursor.

Only XRebirth freezes, especially when flying in highways, sometimes less than a sec, sometimes more than a few seconds.

Also, it still happens even with the mesa shader thing added. I'm using Fedora 23 with griever/mesa-git copr repo.
mesa-libEGL-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.i686
mesa-libglapi-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libwayland-egl-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.i686
mesa-libEGL-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libglapi-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.i686
mesa-libGL-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libEGL-devel-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-filesystem-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.i686
mesa-libwayland-egl-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libgbm-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.i686
mesa-dri-drivers-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.i686
mesa-libGLU-9.0.0-9.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libgbm-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libGL-devel-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-filesystem-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libGLU-9.0.0-9.fc23.i686
mesa-dri-drivers-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libxatracker-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.x86_64
mesa-libGL-11.3.0-0.devel.6.90f9df3.fc23.i686

kerberizer
x4

Post by kerberizer » Fri, 11. Mar 16, 14:06

sirdeiu wrote:So trying what you suggested, in windowed, the X server is not freezing and neither is the hardware mouse cursor.

Only XRebirth freezes, especially when flying in highways, sometimes less than a sec, sometimes more than a few seconds.

Also, it still happens even with the mesa shader thing added. I'm using Fedora 23 with griever/mesa-git copr repo.
Do you happen to use ZFS?

daret
x4

Post by daret » Fri, 11. Mar 16, 14:45

Q1:
According to system requirements X Rebirth needs min. 8GB RAM, recommended is 12GB.
When I run the game (campaign), it uses only 2.5GB RAM the whole time.
Why?

Q2:
Performance on my system is low (20 FPS), no mater what Graphic settings I use (Ultra or low). In "Auspicious Excavation" the CPU utilization is high - one core is sometimes 100%, FPS is 15-20.
In "Frozen Circuit" the CPU utilization is lower - all cores less the 60-80%, FPS is better around 30 (vsync off), but there is some sort of shutter (less with vsync on).
Platform performance is always low 20-30 FPS.
Is CPU the problem? Is AMD FX6200 not enough? What AMD CPU should be suitable?

I installed X on SSD, but is makes no difference.

My system:
System: Kernel: 4.2.0-25-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A99X EVO R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: 2501 date: 04/03/2014
CPU: Hexa core AMD FX-6200 Six-Core (-MCP-) cache: 12288 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 45752
clock speeds: max: 3800 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 3800 MHz 3: 3800 MHz 4: 1400 MHz 5: 3800 MHz 6: 3800 MHz
Memory: 16GB (4x4 GB) 1600MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 960/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.28 Direct Rendering: Yes

sirdeiu
x4

Post by sirdeiu » Fri, 11. Mar 16, 21:02

kerberizer wrote:
sirdeiu wrote:So trying what you suggested, in windowed, the X server is not freezing and neither is the hardware mouse cursor.

Do you happen to use ZFS?
Nope, atm using btrfs (with compress=lzo).

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”