Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 14:43

ArchLinux + radeonsi as well as with catalyst 14.12:
Playing for about 30-60 minutes results in great performance drop, graphical glitches and and the end leads to a crash. I assume there is a vram memory leak somewhere.

Auotpilot as well as fighting in DeVris near the sun makes everything lag like with bad internet connection... Its hard to hit target since their movement isnt smooth anymore. It does not feel like bad performace.

Smoke clouds have a really, really severe performance impact.

Undertitles are completely out of sync/not visible. Where is the sound option where i can select stereo/surround?? With 5.1 system i hear only otanis voice.
Last edited by Mahi Ma on Wed, 18. Mar 15, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

dark7np
x4

Post by dark7np » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 17:02

"Show me your wAAAAAres, plEEEAAAse!" :lol:
And a good thing there's that please at the end, or I might think someone is going to be killed in the next 5 seconds... Anyway.

I had that laggy performance too twice, but after hours, not 30-60 minutes. It did "feel" like out of memory / swapping, yes. It was instant. Not sure if it was getting better one time.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 17:25

Out of memory is definitely possible (can you check what the sys-mem usage is next time? and gpu-ram if there's a way).
Though there's a lot of other stuff that could go wrong.
It's also likely to be related to alt-tab so try to note if it's correlated to that.
How quickly does the bad-perf -> glitches -> crash take (e.g. instant, seconds, minutes)?

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 17:42

timon37 wrote:Out of memory is definitely possible (can you check what the sys-mem usage is next time? and gpu-ram if there's a way).
Though there's a lot of other stuff that could go wrong.
It's also likely to be related to alt-tab so try to note if it's correlated to that.
How quickly does the bad-perf -> glitches -> crash take (e.g. instant, seconds, minutes)?
I'm on A10-7850K, low settings.
I can observe about 1gig ram usage directly after loading.
Flying around via highways causes vram usage go up to 100% (2gig) after about 15 minutes. Staying in one zone doesn't issue the lag that fast (did not wait that long).
In between i see smaller lags caused by loading new objects i think (especially station loading seems to take long), i did not experice at free weekend. At free weekend i exclusevly was at omycron lyrae, pink smoke prevented me from visiting Albion.
(Pink smoke after you pass the gate in the story plot by the way and very bad performance in the cloud/diashow like).

Now i am at the exploeded (moon?) at watergate/cupsid prime... i regurarly experience longer lags when i pass the ice meteroids at the highways. the map causes longer lags as soon as you display the zone (where station models have to be loaded).

I hope i could help a bit.

I never alt+tabbed cuz i saw the isseue at page 1.

Looking forward to enjoy X:R more :)

//Edit: Didn't check sysram. Since i have 16gigs and vram is full ... ill check tomorrow. How can i remove a plotted course btw? :D

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Mon, 16. Mar 15, 20:12

Some more info:
I start believing something is wrong with your particle system/dust clouds.
Each time i pass asteroid belts in DeVris where belts a free from dust ... well its smooth. But i.e. blabla-corona near the sun lags. In DeVris there is another asteroid belt somwhere with much dust: huge lag. Sometimes it lags during fights with smaller fighters. Hit -> particle sytem involved?
Each time around 100mb vram is being allocated and never freed again.

Perhaps this is important. I started the teladi outpost game where you get the 3 small freighters. Passing the jumgate takes ages. ... omycron lyrae/devris (outside the pink nebula) doesnt make much problems, memory loss is MUCH smaller and jumps are wonderful smooth and instantaneous.

In Omycron Lyrae/Maelstrom: i reach 2gb but performance is good and no crash... i don't know. Albion/Teladi is almost unplayable...

Sysram stays around 3-3.5 gb.

P.S: The combat cockpit is really really beautiful. Nice job.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Tue, 17. Mar 15, 07:55

First of all thanks a lot for Linux port. I don't need to install windows anymore :D

Performance is OK (not expecting much from this laptop, no GPU, CPU handles graphics). Ofcourse playing on the lowest settings possible.

I have only one issue and not sure if it's because the game is under heavy development or something else.

Usually I have no problems with performance in space but it's drasticly low on stations. Often it gets so bad that it's not possible to play anymore.

Moreover, if I fly out of the station, performance is still very low. If I save and quit from the game, close Steam and start the game again it gets back to normal performance (untill I visit station again ofcourse).

If I do not close Steam it doesn't help. I always have to close Steam after that. Probably because something still is running even after I quit the game and this process is closed when I close Stem. I always have to try to close Stem after that several times because I get message that game is still running.

Anyone has similar issues?

EDIT: I confirm the pink coloured sector issue. Looks kind of funny :D Something like cosmic pudding or something :D

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 11:46

I guess: Linux version is just a snapshot of the Opengl development branch being merged with windows version in future? Updates will occur very irregular and happen when the devbranch is stable by chance?

I can play for an hour in many sectors before it periodically laggs for ~30 seconds, glitches and crash.

Keep up the good work ... really like the game but performance is a real problem currently :)
Last edited by Mahi Ma on Wed, 18. Mar 15, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 12:11

Mahi Ma wrote://BTW: People would really love you if you would add Mission comuter mod and TAF (buy trade agents for cash) to vanilla in the next patch. This would be a really good idea @ egosoft.
Please do not use this thread to post feature requests. They will not be seen by the right developers, and for those that do read this thread it will simply make it harder for them to find and deal with the Linux-specific issues.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 12:14

I've just tried capital ships bridge mod. I love it but performance is even worse then on stations.

It seems it is not related to graphics. Even if I do nothing (make not a single move) on station, after some time I have very poor performance.

I guess that performance issues is something normal for testing versions, specially for alpha version so no complains for that. Waiting for future updates :)

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 12:22

rmazurek wrote:I've just tried capital ships bridge mod. I love it but performance is even worse then on stations.

It seems it is not related to graphics. Even if I do nothing (make not a single move) on station, after some time I have very poor performance.

I guess that performance issues is something normal for testing versions, specially for alpha version so no complains for that. Waiting for future updates :)
You missed the video ram memory leak leading to a crash after some time and is certainly partially responsibly for the perfromance?
Does it not happen to you? How long do you play usually in one session? What GPU with how much memory do you have?

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 12:27

There is no GPU. CPU handles graphics. It's Lenovo G505s:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Upd ... 670.0.html

Time to decrease performance is varied, depending on what I do i think.

The more on station the shorter time untill I have to restart game.

EDIT: Graphics are handled by APU not CPU. Thanks Mahi Ma for explanation.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 16:12

@everyone

First of all in case anyone missed it there's a shiny new bug tracker. Check the first post for a link, and please follow the points below the link, it'll help me a lot.

In general try to post in the bug tracker (if it's specific enough) and lets keep the forum more for discussions, questions, my announcements etc.

Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce quite a few of the issues you're mentioning, so I need to have as many details from as many people as possible.
Additionally I'll probably have a few requests for you to test, of course no problem if you don't have the time or simply don't feel like it.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 16:16

timon37 wrote:@everyone

First of all in case anyone missed it there's a shiny new bug tracker. Check the first post for a link, and please follow the points below the link, it'll help me a lot.

In general try to post in the bug tracker (if it's specific enough) and lets keep the forum more for discussions, questions, my announcements etc.

Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce quite a few of the issues you're mentioning, so I need to have as many details from as many people as possible.
Additionally I'll probably have a few requests for you to test, of course no problem if you don't have the time or simply don't feel like it.
Please tell us the issues you can't reproduce. I will try to make them more clear. (through youtube videos)

xeroxzone
xr

Post by xeroxzone » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 22:46

Thank you, last patch do it. The pink screen in DeVris is gone for me, I can see a beautiful star system! Now the game comes into flow, makes really fun!

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 12:54

fallenwizard wrote:Please tell us the issues you can't reproduce. I will try to make them more clear. (through youtube videos)
Will do a bit later when I have time to think and sort through stuff, I first need to deal with some stuff I already know or reproduced.

It's just a general rule if you're reporting a bug in the bug-tracker, put your hardware/software in the bug, and preferably a screenshot & savegame.
If the bug already exists add your hardware/software to the bug, even if someone already posted a similar machine.

Btw that brightness issue you had and made a video about is it still there in b3?
That's one of those I couldn't reproduce, for me with nvidia proprietary driver and shadows on, the moon disappeared...

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 14:44

timon37 wrote: It's just a general rule if you're reporting a bug in the bug-tracker, put your hardware/software in the bug, and preferably a screenshot & savegame.
If the bug already exists add your hardware/software to the bug, even if someone already posted a similar machine..
The savegames exceeds the maximum allowed upload size at the bugtracker...

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 14:56

After zipping they should fit (usually 2-8mb), alternatively you can also just send them to my email (it's mentioned in the first post, with some anti-bot obfuscation).

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 15:54

timon37 wrote: Btw that brightness issue you had and made a video about is it still there in b3?
That's one of those I couldn't reproduce, for me with nvidia proprietary driver and shadows on, the moon disappeared...
Seems like the brightness issue is gone. Good job.

Yes, I should make my hardware more clear. I'll do that from now on.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 16:38

Awesome, that's good to hear because it was a worrisome issue (sRGB is a bit of a mess).

I wasn't actually talking about you, or anyone else specifically:) Just in general.
Also it wasn't supposed to be complaining, more like of a status-update that fixing some of the stuff won't be trivial because it's not easily reproducible, or obvious what the issue is.

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 16:20

May i ask you setting bug 14 on high-priority list?
It is somewhat important for gameplay.
Thank you.
Last edited by Mahi Ma on Fri, 20. Mar 15, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”