Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 14:44

timon37 wrote: It's just a general rule if you're reporting a bug in the bug-tracker, put your hardware/software in the bug, and preferably a screenshot & savegame.
If the bug already exists add your hardware/software to the bug, even if someone already posted a similar machine..
The savegames exceeds the maximum allowed upload size at the bugtracker...

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 14:56

After zipping they should fit (usually 2-8mb), alternatively you can also just send them to my email (it's mentioned in the first post, with some anti-bot obfuscation).

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 15:54

timon37 wrote: Btw that brightness issue you had and made a video about is it still there in b3?
That's one of those I couldn't reproduce, for me with nvidia proprietary driver and shadows on, the moon disappeared...
Seems like the brightness issue is gone. Good job.

Yes, I should make my hardware more clear. I'll do that from now on.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 16:38

Awesome, that's good to hear because it was a worrisome issue (sRGB is a bit of a mess).

I wasn't actually talking about you, or anyone else specifically:) Just in general.
Also it wasn't supposed to be complaining, more like of a status-update that fixing some of the stuff won't be trivial because it's not easily reproducible, or obvious what the issue is.

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 16:20

May i ask you setting bug 14 on high-priority list?
It is somewhat important for gameplay.
Thank you.
Last edited by Mahi Ma on Fri, 20. Mar 15, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 16:45

There's some good news and some bad news.

Good: I've got a fix for the shaking ships (or at least I can't reproduce it anymore).
Bad: it's a "really bad" issue.

By "really bad" I mean it's a locking issue between threads, and honestly I can't predict what kind of bad side effects it might have on the game, or savegames:(

In general if you haven't played that much on linux, I would suggest backtracking to a previous savegame and waiting for b4, just in case something was broken in the savegame.
Theoretically it should only affect ship movement, autopilot, probably some asteroids,
but I can't make any guarantees.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 17:48

For me game hangs up from time to time (today 3 times during several hours). Untill now I had only performance drop after some time playing. Not sure if it's related to this change.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 17:50

rmazurek wrote:For me game hangs up from time to time (today 3 times during several hours). Untill now I had only performance drop after some time playing. Not sure if it's related to this change.
It seems to happen a lot if you alt-tab. Sadly it's hard to reproduce, so I haven't made a bug report yet.

Especially annoying if you use a tiling wm like me while having sloppy focus enabled.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 17:55

Today did not use alt + tab and previously happened something similar to alt+tab (showing all windows if mouse pointer moved to top left corner - disabled it already).

I think I have not alt+tab issue.

BTW What is tilling wm?

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 17:57

rmazurek wrote:BTW What is tilling wm?
Window manager that arranges your window in tiles to not waste space. Usually if there is only one window its fullscreen, 2 makes the screen split in 2 halves and so on.

The best window manager ever was awesome wm but well ... almost no development ... lua is slow and X is about to die :(

What are Alt+TAB issues?

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:05

It seems to happen a lot if you alt-tab.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:05

It seems to happen a lot if you alt-tab.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:05

rmazurek wrote:I think I have not alt+tab issue.
If you don't think alt-tab is the problem: Is there something in the console output that can help timon track down this issue? My problem is that there is usually nothing besides the usual output.
Mahi Ma wrote:The best window manager ever was awesome wm but well ... almost no development ...
I prefer manual tiling way more. Bspwm is one of the best in this regard.

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:10

For me Alt+Tab doesn't change anything. The performance gets worse due to catalyst as described on page 1 under known issues. The freezes i occasionally experience are completely independent from alt+tabbing. Alt least for me. Whatever.
fallenwizard wrote: I prefer manual tiling way more. Bspwm is one of the best in this regard.
This is sth. i have to try out. Ty for the tip. awsome was an awesome wm because it was completely scritable via lua.
Last edited by Mahi Ma on Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:11

I will post it if it crashes again. At this moment I have slideshow :D

BTW would it be easy to make mouse scroll working? It's really confusing if I have to use kayboard for speed and keep bumping into things.

Mahi Ma
x4

Post by Mahi Ma » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:13

rmazurek wrote:I will post it if it crashes again. At this moment I have slideshow :D
Perhaps you are referreing to the possible video ram memory leak (not yet affimed by timon)?

Play some time -> worse performance -> sometimes heavy graphics glitches -> crash? The more you travel (load new areas) the faster it happens?
Last edited by Mahi Ma on Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:14

The same for me. It seems alt+tab does not change anything. Sorry if not clear what I have written. barely sleep at all recently. This games obsessed me :D

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Fri, 20. Mar 15, 18:19

For me it's much better in space. There is performance drop but after much longer time. However there are places where also in space there is faster performance drop but on stations it's every time. And capital ships too.

I have the same but without crash untill today. Maybe game crashed 1 or 2 times, don't remember.

BTW In fluxbox it works better but game crashes after several minutes. In KDE it works much longer (with poor performance after some time ofcourse).

x4

smalltalk game

Post by 9000 » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 15:19

First I'm verry happy that a linux port is in work, thank you!

I have a little problem with the smalltalk minigame. The pink area with the peak is very thin, so I'm nearly not able to hit it.

rmazurek
x3tc

Post by rmazurek » Sat, 21. Mar 15, 16:11

Question before reporting error, actually 2 questions:

1. What does mean message: [wmav2 @ 0x7f943efd8ee0] nb_frames is 0

2. Should I paste all messages from steam or some number of last messages? There is a lot of it. There is no message with something like "error: ....." so I don't know what is error and what is not.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”