Windows 10, Rebirth will not start - Issue caused by plugged in gamepads

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JIaroJIy4
x4

Post by JIaroJIy4 » Fri, 23. Dec 16, 20:15

Well, I am terribly sorry thats kind of a bump more than anything else since I'm trying to fix my dang PC (that I use for games).

I've found this article on Steam, since I'm having exact same issue. Welp as soon as I fix the damn PC I will try finding a way to grab DLLs i ran into missing.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 24. Dec 16, 14:37

That's the thing. We are not sure the Dependency Walker output about missing dlls for Win10 is reliable anymore. For example, why would a 64 bit exe on a 64 bit system need Kernel32 32 bit dynamic link library files? That Steam thread you linked is about a 32 bit game.

My system runs Rebirth just fine on Win10 x64 without any messing with system files, and I don't have 32 bit dlls except in SysWOW64 which is used for running 32 bit exes on a 64 bit system. Look in Windows, SysWOW64 and see if you do in fact have all or most of those api-ms-win dlls that DW listed as missing (and are probably not needed by Rebirth).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

JIaroJIy4
x4

Post by JIaroJIy4 » Sun, 25. Dec 16, 18:49

Point is - I do not have API-MS-WIN and EXT-MS-WIN libraries neither in SysWOW64 or in System32. I have very limited amount of API-MS-WIN libraries inside folder "downlevel" in both "Sys..." folders.

Can I ask what graphics do You have and what installation is Your win10? Was it upgraded from windows 8/8.1 or it was a clean installation from the get-go?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 27. Dec 16, 15:39

Win10 obtained via free upgrade from Win7 but installed from a USB drive as a clean install that effectively did a reformat of the boot disk OS partition. Graphics is an AMD HD6870.

Isn't 'downlevel' something to do with the bundled ability to revert from Win10 to your previous OS version if you are unhappy with Win10? I have already deleted all my fall-back OS folders and so cannot tell now on my system.

Maybe not, downlevel seems to be part of the actual upgrade/install process: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itp ... ade-errors
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Infector
xr

Post by Infector » Tue, 27. Dec 16, 15:51

Maybe try to install directx 9 manually.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 28. Dec 16, 15:31

JIaroJIy4 wrote:Can I ask what graphics do You have and what installation is Your win10? Was it upgraded from windows 8/8.1 or it was a clean installation from the get-go?
I have two Windows 10 PCs at my desk, one (with AMD graphics hardware) that was upgraded from Windows 7 and one (NVidia) that had Windows 10 installed from scratch. Neither of them has DLL problems, so I really don't think that either the method of OS installation or the make of graphics hardware installed are the issue.

JIaroJIy4
x4

Post by JIaroJIy4 » Wed, 28. Dec 16, 20:09

Unfortunately I did not have time to respond properly or perform another series of tests,
As for DirectX noted by Infector - I installed one that gets packaged with X Rebirth, and then I "polished" it with offline package distributed by MS https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8109

As for "method" of installing windows 10 - ever since installing Win10 (pre-anniversary, I still have dvd and too lazy to write actual dvd-disc with newer build), I ran "refresh windows tool"(again, MS-source one) several times to be honest and still have DLL/"no error reported" problem. I am planning (once I have not 20 minutes of free time during day) to perform installation from USB-stick with downloaded ISO from MS. Maybe that last ditch effort will help, otherwise I have no frigging clue.

JIaroJIy4
x4

Post by JIaroJIy4 » Sat, 1. Apr 17, 00:02

Ooookay, unfortunately i found the source of the issue, by sheer luck - my gamepads (i have 2 plugged in) which have only Direct Input (and when game sorta supports direct input, they are typically mapped in weird fashion) actually cause the game to crash EXCEPT on windows 7, which still sounds dumb. Obviously by unplugging i got the game to work. Maybe I will try mapping them to XInput but thats not related to the issue anymore.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”