4.10 Menu entries replaced by "Processing"

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Scoob
x4

4.10 Menu entries replaced by "Processing"

Post by Scoob » Wed, 31. May 17, 20:18

Hi all,

So, I fire up X Rebirth 4.10, the menu loads but only partially.

The background scene is playing, the menu text is mostly there (see below) but the blue filled background colour around the text is absent. So, just the text, no contrasting blue background.

Also missing are the "Continue Game" and "Load Game" options, the text instead reads "Processing..."

After about 20 seconds or so the screen flickers/judders and the blue text background appears, about 20 seconds or so after that the "Processing..." items are replaced by the proper "Continue Game" and "Load Game" options. Obviously before these appear, I cannot load a game.

After about another 30 seconds to a minute, the game Alt Tabs its self to the desktop, so I have to go back into it, wait for the menu to load (correctly this time) before I can play.

Not a show-stopper of an issue, but it's frustrating to have this extra wait time. Note that I'm waiting far longer for the menu to load properly, than I waited prior to that for the game to load, getting to this point.

This has been an issue since I tried the 4.10 Beta - I was late to this, so it was the version that was finally made live - and of course the Live game does it now.

Anyone else? Game was 100% vanilla for testing.

Scoob.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. May 17, 20:28

Not with my version (vanilla 4.10 / 232953) on the beta (now same version as release) branch. Have you verified the gamefile cache since the release update?

It sounds to me more as though your system is hanging up on something else while the gamefiles and DLCs are loading. What else are you running in the background and can you minimise it/them?

Hmm, it could even be a security application being overzealous in checking the gamefiles or coming up with false positives.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 31. May 17, 20:37

Hi Alan,

I have, and I can confirm I'm running the exact same build.

Interestingly, exiting the game fully and re-launching sees the menu come up fully right away. It's only that first launch of the game after the PC is turned on that seems to go screwy. Cached data in Ram might be helping of course.

I'll verify things again and see if anything is highlighted.

Scoob.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. May 17, 20:40

Is it also only when you first launch Steam? If so, maybe the issue lies in your Steam application instead.

Otherwise I would look at how and when your system caches stuff loaded from harddrive as it could be running slowly if trying to cache files from a full and badly fragmented harddrive.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 31. May 17, 20:45

Alan Phipps wrote:Is it also only when you first launch Steam? If so, maybe the issue lies in your Steam application instead.
Good suggestion, sadly not the case.

I just copied my verified X Rebirth Steam folder to another location, applied the non-Steam .exe and launched the game. The same menu issues appeared. Game did not alt+tab out though, so I think while that particular issue is Steams fault, the menu oddities are not.

Like I said, not a massive issue, just thought it a bit odd and worth mentioning. I have the game on a pair of fast SSD's in RAID0, but maybe someone running the game on an old spinner might have a much longer wait than me for the issue to resolve its self.

Scoob.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. May 17, 20:49

Might be worth pasting in a fresh DxDiag to see if there are any clues in there. This is not normal vanilla behaviour so something is misbehaving or interfering.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 31. May 17, 20:53

Alan Phipps wrote:Might be worth pasting in a fresh DxDiag to see if there are any clues in there. This is not normal vanilla behaviour so something is misbehaving or interfering.
Maybe an issue my end then. Not experiencing issues in anything else, not that it proves anything lol.

Scoob.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 31. May 17, 21:22

my first thought to this is that the Antivirus possibly interferes...
maybe it blocks acces to files before it has scanned them and when its done with the Scan XR doesnt try to access it anymore (and the next time you launch it the AV will know its already scanned and therefore it can be accessed immediately)

Note: dont misunderstand - i am not suggesting here to switch off AV as a solution to this problem, just as a temporary step to track down the cause (and then fix it)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 31. May 17, 21:32

Yes, I was thinking more of perhaps trying without any real time checking by the AV rather than turning the AV off entirely. Of course there could be other types of protection applications and OS options that may do security checking besides the main AV itself.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 31. May 17, 22:03

This machine is my dedicated gamer, so it's disconnected from the internet (NIC disabled) unless I need to update something. So, a can do an AV disabled test potentially.

As this machine is only online for Windows and Steam updates - I never simply surf the net on it - it's only using the basic Windows 10 Defender.

I'll do some testing...

Scoob.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”