Bug. Getting stuck during prison break mission

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

trekkiedk
x3

Bug. Getting stuck during prison break mission

Post by trekkiedk » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 11:11

I have returned after some time away from X-rebirth, and i find myself stuck on my ship ship during docking with the HOA construcktion ship that is supposed to bring me to the tanaris that we are supposed to capture. i stand on my ship but can not move anywhere. i have tried loading from a previous point, and since only the menu you get when pressing enter appears, i can only leave to the cockpit that way. i have tried to re dock with the ship, but the problem is the same. i have tried re-docking 3 times and still no luck getting unstuck. The only thing that works when this happens is the menu you get when pressing enter or esc. i wonder if it has something to do with the whole spinning around, and getting flung out of dockingbay's thing that is very much present at the moment.
have others had same problem?
I have since tried docking at another station, but i get stuck there as well.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 12:42

It seems a new if occasional issue since 4.30 unfortunately. There is sort of workaround in the linked thread's link.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

trekkiedk
x3

Post by trekkiedk » Tue, 26. Dec 17, 22:22

i have tried the workaround to no avail, i just get stuck no matter where i dock next. i can see the usual croshairs sort of burnt into the back while my actual cursor can stil move around. it is like the physical body and input are going to two different places. i hope this can help you along with getting an idea of what happens.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 05:50

trekkiedk wrote:i have tried the workaround to no avail, i just get stuck no matter where i dock next. i can see the usual croshairs sort of burnt into the back while my actual cursor can stil move around. it is like the physical body and input are going to two different places. i hope this can help you along with getting an idea of what happens.
Hi,

did you exit the game and reload it? Each time that happened I was able to undock and fly to another Zone. Then the situation disappeared.

cu
Rainer

trekkiedk
x3

Post by trekkiedk » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 06:40

yes i have tried exiting the game, and reloaded it. i can always undock thanks to the enter menu, but no matter where i then dock, i end up getting stuck the same way. it is like i am detached from the character, as tho we are not in the same game and yet overlapping.

trekkiedk
x3

Post by trekkiedk » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 13:43

after a third time using the workaround with exiting the game and then entering again, i am now able to move around. i do get stuck while i am being spoken to when i walk around. with that i mean quest related convo to me but without having to talk back. it is like when you fly around using the mouse to steer, and then suddenly space was pushed and then you are stuck without the effect of pressing space again.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 27. Dec 17, 14:40

I don't think anyone else is getting stuck in quite the way you describe.

Maybe it is time to shift this over to the Tech Sp forum so please also provide the DxDiag, system and game info asked for in the Tech Sp forum Stickies.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Thu, 28. Dec 17, 05:57

I did get stuck the way you describe, but NOT at that particular point in the plot (or anywhere during the plot). For me it was just a random docking, and every attempt to dock anywhere else, after that.

The fix for me was to dock at a station (and be unable to move), use the menu to save the game, exit completely to desktop, then start the game again and load that last save I just did. If you save while you're docked (even if you can't move), the game loads the station environment and lets you move as soon as it loads. Or at least it did for me.

I don't know what causes it. It could be that it's trying to find, and play, some audio file, maybe "Docking permission granted" and of course in X-Rebirth you can't move if Yisha or someone else is talking. Complete guess on my part, of course.

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sat, 30. Dec 17, 04:02

Some more information:

I just got this bug today (repeatedly) every time I docked to a just-captured capital ship (no crew in it, just my marines officer).

I captured a H.Sul, L.Sul, and Titurel, and for each one, the bug happened as I docked immediately after the capture.

For the Suls, I saved the game from the ESC menu, then loaded the game I'd just saved, and the bug went away, I could move and dock at stations etc.

For the Titurel, my (stuck) point wasn't at the Skunk's ramp, like normal, but (judging by the view), I was stuck under the cockpit somewhere. For this docking attempt, I was able to save the game from the menu and load it, but that didn't fix the stuck issue; I had to exit the game to desktop then load it and that fixed the bug.

Now. I am using the Remove Skunk Cockpit Cutscene mod (I always have), so my docking is instant (no cutscene), and Yisha ends up saying her "Requesting permission to dock", with someone replying "Docking granted", as I'm standing at the ramp. Normally I CAN move when this audio chatter takes place, BUT, in 4.30 you've made a change so my character will turn to face the direction of whichever NPC replies "Docking granted."

And if I just boarded a ship, it has no crew so there's nobody to reply "Docking granted". The audio probably doesn't matter (it didn't matter before patch 4.30), but now there's also no direction for my character to face towards. If I can put it that way.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 30. Dec 17, 13:08

@ ajax34i: Thanks for that added info.

Is anyone else getting the exact issues the OP sees in a vanilla 4.30 game?

I have to say that I am not although I have boarded and then docked at several different capitals in that version despite now finding walking rather more 'sticky' than before. Departing after being docked at a Rahanas is now rather exciting in this version (Skunk pingpong in the Rahanas bay.)

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Sat, 30. Dec 17, 18:30

I boarded a Rahanas and created a save right before docking it. Then disabled the mod. And then:

- docked (bug didn't happen)
- reloaded

Repeated 5 times (small sample size, sorry), but the bug didn't happen. The cockpit exit animation delays everything; Yisha has time to speak her full line "This is the Albion Skunk, requesting permission to dock", and I have time to hear the full reply "Docking permission granted" or not hear it if there's no NPC crew, before I walk to the outer door and the animation ends. So the game loads the station environment after all the dialogue is done.

I also tried to go back to my ship after setting up the crew, and OMG every step I took during the animation to enter the cockpit slammed the Skunk into the floor of the Rahanas docking bay, bouncing it like crazy. No way I can play like that, heh.

Fortunately, though, the mod is very simple, just one xml file with 3 replace statements:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<diff>
  <replace sel="/sequencestates/state[@name='cockpit_inactive']/transition[@trigger='disembarkship']">
    <transition nextstate="cockpit_left" trigger="disembarkship"></transition>
  </replace>
  <replace sel="/sequencestates/state[@name='cockpit_enter']/transition[@trigger='embarkship']">
    <transition nextstate="cockpit_inactive" trigger="embarkship"></transition>
  </replace>
  <replace sel="/sequencestates/state[@name='cockpit_left']/transition[@trigger='embarkship']">
    <transition nextstate="cockpit_inactive" trigger="embarkship"></transition>
  </replace>

</diff> 
So I can change that to keep the "exit the Skunk" animation, give Yisha enough time to enunciate, but still cut away the "enter the Skunk" animation so the Skunk doesn't bounce around like crazy. Should be a good compromise.

specialsymbol

!

Post by specialsymbol » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 09:35

Alan Phipps wrote:@ ajax34i: Thanks for that added info.

Is anyone else getting the exact issues the OP sees in a vanilla 4.30 game?

I have to say that I am not although I have boarded and then docked at several different capitals in that version despite now finding walking rather more 'sticky' than before. Departing after being docked at a Rahanas is now rather exciting in this version (Skunk pingpong in the Rahanas bay.)

Yes. I have exactly the same problems:

-I got stuck for the first time in my ship when I wanted to buy the marines for the plot. I bought them in DeVries, got stuck on my ship as described.

I could buy the marines using the Comm menu (don't ask me how to find it, somewhere in the <Enter> menu bar, it's difficult to find).

I couldn't leave the ship / platform using <Shift>+<D>, but I could leave it through the <Enter> menu.

I proceeded to Albion, where I was to dock on the HOA construction ship. Luckily I quicksaved before docking - the same happened again. This time I quit from the game, reloaded, docked again - and I could move. So this restarting the game and reloading solved it for me, even when it already had occurred before.

-I almost always get flung around with the Albion Skunk when undocking. This is especially troublesome when docking on the transporter you get during the plot line (the first one, I can't remember those names) - the Skunk is banging around in the docking bay like crazy. Always.

It is also very annoying when you want to flee after, say, landing on the HOA construction ship as it's 100% under attack when you are finished talking.. great feeling, watching the animation of seating down while being shot, being talked to by Yisha, then finally getting control and first having to veer away from the construction ship because you're facing it. And then having the shields so low that boosting is impossible.
"Oh my God, it's full of stars!" - Dave Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey)

RainerPrem
x4

Re: !

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 12:52

Hi,

different things ...
specialsymbol wrote:
-I almost always get flung around with the Albion Skunk when undocking. This is especially troublesome when docking on the transporter you get during the plot line (the first one, I can't remember those names) - the Skunk is banging around in the docking bay like crazy. Always.
No. Only when the Rahanas is moving while you undock. Make it stop, and you might bang one single time, but not more.

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 4. Jan 18, 16:29

@ RainerPrem: I beg to differ somewhat, for vanilla 4.30 at least. I have often had the Skunk pingpong when undocking from a stationary recently-boarded Rahanas and even when not touching the controls during the dock departure cutscene, just not every time though.

There was a theory once about the Skunk's speed and vector when you hit 'dock' on the way in making some difference to the undock - although I don't really see that myself.

Luke0086

Post by Luke0086 » Tue, 22. May 18, 19:55

In older versions of the game, when NPC's talked to you, it came up in the window like Yisha does but I'm sure you could still control Otani whilst they talk.

When I get spoken to now whilst I'm docked, I lose control of Otani, and the mouse appears.

This is the state I'm in when the bug occurs, and to be honest sometimes I play the game for ages and do not experience this bug. I don't know if it's related to boarding enemy ships, because I experienced the bug in campaign mode before I'd gotten to the boarding mission.

My gut feeling tells me the bug is to do with losing control of Otani whilst being communicated with whilst docked.

Martin Head
xr

Post by Martin Head » Thu, 24. May 18, 11:55

Luke0086 wrote:In older versions of the game, when NPC's talked to you, it came up in the window like Yisha does but I'm sure you could still control Otani whilst they talk.

When I get spoken to now whilst I'm docked, I lose control of Otani, and the mouse appears.
This sounds like the problem I had when I updated to 4.30

I also had problems on stations/docked that I could not stand still, I would keep drifting sideways. And when flying at less than full throttle, After I used the Boost, the ship would remain at full speed, and I would have to adjust the throttle control.

I am sorry but I don't have a fix for you. What I did was roll the game back to version 4.10, and stop any updates.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”