[Discussion] Rebirth Tools

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 28. Feb 14, 11:03

Clearly the Discussion was about the MD Tool no? Where did I mention "ingame"? :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Fri, 28. Feb 14, 11:22

Okay, so what do you want ? Anything is possible on zombo.com :D
"AaaAaaAah ! They're everywhere...", Jane Doe, Freedom Force.

Maclarium
x4

Post by Maclarium » Fri, 28. Feb 14, 11:47

Ketraar wrote:Clearly the Discussion was about the MD Tool no? Where did I mention "ingame"? :roll:

MFG

Ketraar
Why would it only be about MD stuff ? I personally don't really care about that. MD is xml and there is already a boatload of XML editors/IDE out there.

I want tools/documentation/api that allow me to change what is not possible right now => UI

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 28. Feb 14, 12:15

You obviously talk past each other here. The initial discussion between Ketraar and RedEclipse was clearly about an MD tool (i.e. to help with writing MD code from a programmers point of view, who is used to existing programming languages). Ketraar stated, why he does not think that a new tool would make much sense. And he stated, what he would imagine a new tool for "people with little patience" to look like (cf. "drag and drop"). Then for some reason RedEclipse changed the discussion topic to the game interface and lua files.

Edit: typo.
Last edited by X2-Illuminatus on Fri, 28. Feb 14, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 28. Feb 14, 12:28

RedEclipse wrote:Okay, so what do you want ? Anything is possible on zombo.com :D
Wel I dont want anything, I'm rather happy with how things are now. What I did was to give opinion based on user experience and possible new user accessibility. As mentioned Mr Bear was the one with the idea of a MD GUI that would allow to create things block-wise, kinda like drag a "create ship" ship block and it would add all the needed code for it. This sounded like a really beneficial thing, special for new mission creators. No clue if possible at all, but as I said it would be the kind of thing worth doing, in contrast to a GUI that "just" rearranges things differently but would be pretty much the same thing in red.
Why would it only be about MD stuff
Well because the discussion at hand was about MD stuff? Not really sure why you get worked up, you can still want other things, no one stopping you.

MFG

Ketraar

EDIT: Ninja'd by X2, getting slow...Thanks X2 for clarifying it so much better.

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Fri, 28. Feb 14, 12:43

Ok ok. It seems Mr Bear goes that direction so the best thing is to look after him. As I saw on his thread, I'm not sure to have the same project as his.

I'd rather work on this now instead of chating around :p
I'll "talk better" when I'll have something to present which is not the case and a quite long way (for me) from here.

MartinSGill
x4

Post by MartinSGill » Fri, 28. Feb 14, 14:12

docwho83 wrote:Ok in the Mission guide it talks about using Visual web developer. Since it can be set to help by displaying all available tags and attributes.

Has anyone figure out a way to do the same with notepad++ or do I need to pull a copy of vwd?
Since Egosoft provided the XSDs any good XML editor should do for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_XML_editors

Make sure it says "YES" in the "Auto­completion (using schema.xsd for text)" column to get the benefit of the XSDs Egosoft provided.

Some text editors (like Notepad++) do completion by examining tags you've already used, not by using the XSD rules.

Also the XSD provides a lot more information than just tag names, for example which tags are allowed in which locations, and how many of them you're allowed to have there. What attributes are allowed, and if they need to be text or numbers etc. If you're going to be doing a lot of editing I'd recommend finding a proper XML editor.

Trialbyfire

Post by Trialbyfire » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 04:34

I must be missing something because I don't see how providing us with an extraction tool and MD manual is significant. We are already able to extract the game files and MD instructions exist. Granted the MD manual is nice, but these tools hardly seem worth much of a news flash.

Given the insignificance of this announcement (Rebirth tools), I'm wondering why Egosoft doesn't wait until they can give us something worthwhile (like mesh import/export and access to the UI coding)?

I'm also wondering if this is the extent of what we can expect any time soon? If so, it seems too little too late. Haven't we already lost most of the best modders with no hope of bringing them back?
A wise man once said...nothing. I'm not a wise man, so I speak my mind. You can't trust atoms because they make up everything.

Maclarium
x4

Post by Maclarium » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 09:22

Ketraar wrote:
Why would it only be about MD stuff
Well because the discussion at hand was about MD stuff? Not really sure why you get worked up, you can still want other things, no one stopping you.
They just release a tool that already exists since day one.
And it looks like everyone talks about MD which is something we don't need anything to work with.

So yes, I am kind of worked up because there still nothing new about modding.
We still can't work with the UI.

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 18:08

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

omg, where do I have put the finger in.

That's a lot more complicated than I originally though ! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah 'drowning :)

Outputing in XML is an actual nigthmare.

Trialbyfire

Post by Trialbyfire » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 19:14

They should change the title from "X Rebirth Tools" to "X Rebirth Extraction Tool" (which we already have anyway). A manual is not a "tool" per se.

This announcement of a tool that already exists has pretty much dealt a death blow to the prospects of ever modding this game. It is now finally clear that Egosoft has no intention of providing additional real tools for the modding community.
A wise man once said...nothing. I'm not a wise man, so I speak my mind. You can't trust atoms because they make up everything.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 20:17

What about reading the announcement first, before complaining? :roll:

It is clearly mentioned that the catalog tool is the first tool and that others will be made available later.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Trialbyfire

Post by Trialbyfire » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 20:36

X2-Illuminatus wrote:What about reading the announcement first, before complaining? :roll:

It is clearly mentioned that the catalog tool is the first tool and that others will be made available later.
I did read the announcement! :roll:, but pie in the sky "later" doesn't cut it given the lackluster/non-existent modding support we've seen thus far.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 20:52

Well you spoke your piece and since this is not a complaining topic we move on, thank you.

MFG

Ketraar

Trialbyfire

Post by Trialbyfire » Sat, 1. Mar 14, 21:04

Ketraar wrote:Well you spoke your piece and since this is not a complaining topic we move on, thank you.
My mistake. I thought this was a discussion thread, but apparently it's a "see no evil hear no evil" thread. In future I will keep my thoughts to myself as requested. Thanks.

MAUCorp
x3tc

X Rebirth Tools

Post by MAUCorp » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 07:59

Is this new? Has anyone played with these yet?
You can find them in your steam library in the Tools tab.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 10:35

It is not new, but there is not much there last time I checked.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Trialbyfire

Post by Trialbyfire » Tue, 1. Apr 14, 22:24

I'm taking the lack of tools as a good sign. It's possible Ego doesn't want to give us any more tools because they are changing the way things don't work. Once they've untangled the mess they created, they will give us a way to take the ball from there. At that point, we may see some of the more talented modders returning.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 2. Apr 14, 23:36

Updated the Tools Sticky with information regarding Steam Workshop, including a link to the guide. Anyone willing to help test it before 1.30 release is very much welcome to do so.

MFG

Ketraar

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Wed, 2. Apr 14, 23:48

As someone who knows all too well how much time effort and trouble producing guides of this nature take

Adding the "back office" hassle and monotony none of you ever see

I was going to say a big thanks but i'm not

I'm bestowing on ket the greatest honour one can ever receive

Imperials Status - Membership of The Empire

(If i still moderated it would appear under his name)

message ends.
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”