[Tool] .xmf/.xac <-> .dae converter

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Tue, 30. Sep 14, 22:33

@ LordSneazy,

I know you PMed me but I thought I might as well post here as you are asking questions. I was going to link to to my doc as it will help you out with the problems you are having. I haven't personally done anything since I got the BSG in the game.

Far to much is not known about the model importing side of things to really get far (unless that's changed in the last month or two, and like a lot of others have been really hoping that Egosoft would release the mod tools that were hinted at, or at least the knowledge to allow people to create the tools. Before such a time I really cant see much being made :(

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Wed, 1. Oct 14, 00:57

Yes. I have been looking at your mod scripts. It shows me basically everything I need to do. Except your one script uses the mission director to load the Asset (bsg). I'm going to need to write one that replaces the model in changing. Then figure out my phase 2 plans, which gets more difficult.

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 01:53

I followed all the instructions and I'm just not able to export the file. If I upload the .dae file, anyone mind looking it over?

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Tue, 14. Oct 14, 17:57

Okay, I eliminated all of the Egosoft models from my blender document and just let my models remain. I exported to a .DAE file, and then used the Exporter which for once actually did something. It created a XML file and a folder for the data files. However, the folder for the data files was completely empty.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong to cause the program work up to the point of creating the XMF files?

Also, is it a requirement that I create the collision layer for the exporter to function correctly?

YellowBelllyBlackSnake
x4

Post by YellowBelllyBlackSnake » Wed, 15. Oct 14, 08:44

Sounds like something is wrong with the names or hierachy of the objects in your scene.

As far as I know the exporter will work without a collision mesh.

Hopefully this will be of some help.
http://i.imgur.com/VZZoCra.jpg

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 15. Oct 14, 10:26

If there is nor collision mesh avaliable, the game will use the lod0 mesh as collision source. You can imagine, that this causes a slight performance hit but can be ignored when the levels are not that bir or the geometry not that dense.

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 19:37

Hi there. Xac conversión is working?
I've managed to convert yisha body to dae,success.
Import dae into blender, success. Without touching absolutly anything:
export again to dae from blender, success.
Conversion dae -->xac, success.
Bring results into game, success.
Final result, weird mesh, vertex discontrol.

Any changes must do in blender? names, like in xmf?, unlink world?

(Danger: I'm a newbie modder in all this things)
:P

Thanks

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Sat, 3. Jan 15, 20:43

i have run into a similar problem.

I have a ship model I am working with (the one killerog was working on earlier). I have done some modifications to it and I have started working on getting it in game as a Size L or Size XL ship (using size L right now).

The problem I have is that when i import the model and get it in game it has the wrong orientation. forward in game is straight down on the model, up in game is the front of the ship, and so on. No matter how i rotate the model in the 3d software (with or without rotating the nodes the mesh gets connected to) the imported data always show up with the same orientation and I can not change it. It also does not change between exporting the model set to z-up or y-up. I have not tried things in blender yet but i suspect that I will get the same result.

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 02:50

The problem is on blender export itself, I think.

I convert yisha's xac body to dae. Then import to blender. Without touching nothing, export to dae. Then I start again fresh blender and import the dae file previous exported. And then the armature appears lying on floor and very very small. I've tryed different dae export options, without success.
Any help?

Thanks

Edit: The first import to blender after xac<-->dae conversion, appears to be absolutly correct

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 17:04

no clue on that one...i only been playing with the xmf conversion part myself. I can get ships out, I know killerog's ship will go in but i can not get it to be oriented correct no matter what i do unfortunately.

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 18:41

This thread seems dead :)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 18:43

antoniut wrote:This thread seems dead :)
Not dead. It happens at this moment I am writing a tutorial on how to get custom models into the game using these tools. I'd expected to do this months ago; but life happens. :)

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 18:47

We are waiting (im)patienly for it! :roll:

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Sat, 10. Jan 15, 22:03

Well that sounds promising Observe :)

Might convince me to have another crack at this.

lubatomy
x4

Post by lubatomy » Sun, 11. Jan 15, 00:34

one thing i have found is that the standard dae export from max has different information in it as opposed to the game (namely is exports a translation matrix instead or a translation vector and rotation vector).

there is a open source dae exporter you can get that is apparently the spiritual successor to the one killerog found in some of the model files but it no longer has all the option it once had like exporting with Y-up coordinate system as well as always adding in a root node for a light source.

Needless to say, using both blender or 3ds Max, I have tried to rotate the mesh of the galactica model (i can get it in game but it is oriented wrong) and every time i export and convert it to game format, it comes out with the exact same rotation where the bottom of the model is "forward" in game.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 14. Jan 15, 06:25

antoniut wrote:We are waiting (im)patienly for it! :roll:
Here is my first installment for a 3D modeling tutorial. More to come time permitting. :)

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Wed, 14. Jan 15, 11:41

Thanks Observe for your dedication. However, I've been working with xacs for several hours without succes. Dunno if the problem is in xac converter or in blender. I've been trying all blender techninques I've founded on the net. I can't loose more time with this. I'm totaly frustrated.

Thanks again :)

denison10

Post by denison10 » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 12:44

if my Windows x64 the converter works?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 13:30

yep. but its still a command line tool, so double-clicking it wont work, it expects some parameters you need to deliver on startup.

btw: i wonder if there would be intrest in some Extraction Scripts for XR which extracts the whole Game from the Cats/Dats and converts everything possible to work-able formats?
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

antoniut
xr

Post by antoniut » Fri, 23. Jan 15, 13:35

Sure! :D

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”