XML editor

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

John McG
x4

XML editor

Post by John McG » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 09:49

Can anyone recommend a good free XML editor, for editing the save files?
Thank you

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 10:00

This isn't a tech support question. Moving to the main Rebirth forum.

Notepad++ is fine for minor edits but I feel more comfortable with something like Visual Web Developer. But I expect there are smaller, leaner XML editors out there.

TheElf
x3

Post by TheElf » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 10:08

You could try

XML Notepad 2007 from MS
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=7973

Nodepad++ is fine but not really that great on huge files.
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Ultraedit is better but not free unfortunally.
http://www.ultraedit.com/

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 10:35

There is the pluggable Visual XML Editor I have developed, it is free and open source (installer available from the thread link).

Also there are some bespoke game save editors written by people in the community.
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Tue, 20. Jan 15, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

John McG
x4

Post by John McG » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 10:39

Thanks for all your help.

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Tue, 20. Jan 15, 17:18

I've always used Crimson Editor for many years and been very happy with it. I've tried a few of the others like notepad++ but I end up going back to using Crimson Editor. I use version 3.70 before it morphed into Emerald Editor. It's not so pretty for XML files as opposed to formats such as php but is still easy to use.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

John McG
x4

Post by John McG » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 08:55

Thanks again

Grevas
x3ap

Post by Grevas » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 19:46

Since most of it has been text-editors for now, here's a XML Editor i used to fix my savegames.
Firstobject's XML editor
http://www.firstobject.com/dn_editor.htm

It had no issues opening 1gb big savegames. On 2gb it exceeded memory limit though. Haven't figured a way to change the treeview to list all attributes sadly, but it's still better than navigating a tree which is not indendet at all.

It's certainly faster then using notepad++ ;)

// edit: after trying the XML Notepad from Microsoft, i really have to recommend foxe.. It doesn't manage the savegame file at all, keeps hanging and so on. In foxe: open quicksave.xml (37mb), Loaded/parsed in 292 milliseconds.
// edit2: just for fun, Format indent the savefile 1768ms. Might look into Tree Customizations since there are some kind of settings in place.
Last edited by Grevas on Wed, 21. Jan 15, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 20:00

@Grevas: My Visual XML Editor takes a similar approach (more RegEdit like though, and not quite as pretty/colourful - the aim with my editor is to hide the XML encoding so the user need only worry about the data not how it needs to be encoded in the file to be compliant with the XML standard) and is built as a 64-bit app so can handle multiple extremely large files (assuming the user's system can keep up that is).
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Wed, 21. Jan 15, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 20:13

I use Vim for Windows, open XR save game files in seconds, vs the minutes that are required by either Notepad or Notepad++

(Mind you, I only use the editing to workaround bugs, like the fact that Construction URVs are left behind, and are as such, "in-use"/(un)Use(able). Hope that Ego devs fix this bugs.)

Grevas
x3ap

Post by Grevas » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 20:21

@Roger the tabbing in your tool between Data | Source seems broken, need to refocus the node selection to actually see the sources. I don't know if it's a decision, but newlines on windows are broken (set them up to use windows, still my sources don't show any)

But anyhow, i'll stick to foxe as recommendation since i like how they handle the highlights (node selection == selection in source without hiding stuff). And of course because it's still faster ;D. And yes, your tool is still a lot faster then the bloated XML "Notepad" from Microsoft. It seems you're going Modding-IDE anyways, i'm sure its handy to have that file list there.

//edit: tried that 1gb file in your editor to check your claim "handling big files" - well, no. Not at all. I had to kill the process after 3min because it used more RAM than Rebirth does loading the savegame into the game...

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 21. Jan 15, 20:51

I think this really belongs in the Rebirth S&M forum. And away we go. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”