[MOD] Station Engineers

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 15. Aug 15, 20:22

Hey eMYNOCK,

I have that mod installed too, though, and I don't have spawned NPCs shown in the station's display.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Sat, 15. Aug 15, 23:53

Just checked again to see if spawned personnel are showing in station details. This is in Lava Flow, where I have four stations, and there are no NPC stations.

First is a list of all drone dealers in the zone:

http://i.imgur.com/p1svaVd.jpg

All of them are, of course, based in my stations. Talked with a fella named Alex Bolton, and he seems like he's on the up-and-up

http://i.imgur.com/sSGpgRQ.jpg

And station details:

http://i.imgur.com/nMVodRy.jpg

Alex Bolton isn't on the list, nor are any other drone dealers. Unless you mean that "Service Personnel: 50" entry?

http://i.imgur.com/6sA6PRF.jpg

which appears to list all personnel who are offering services on the station, regardless of whether or not they are directly working on the station. Hmm. I see what appears to be a couple of Euclid's employees working on my stations. Industrial espionage, Euclid? Or is that Skunk logo the logo of the player faction?

@eMYNOCK, if you are also having a problem with engineers not being hireable on player-owned stations (Issue that Sparky mentioned), you might want to compare mod lists, because I don't see the issue. Unless I misunderstood it?

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 08:22

I believe you really missunderstood me.

Lets explain that:

I still have a Version (abandoned under construction) that Spawn any faction that is Friendly to the Player, including the Player him self (still no clue how to stop that).

That means, my old mod Spawns Teladi, Canterans, Ledda, Heart of Albion and other factions (including Ren Otani) on Player Stations.

All works fine, beside the confusing effect that all NPC relating the "Ren Otani" faction are shown under Station Management.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 08:38

I can't remember having problems hiring people - just that as well as the Engineer I told to work on a station, there were 2nd or 3rd Engineers listed with the Manager, DO etc on the station's detail page. Sorry I wasn't clear.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 09:47

eMYNOCK wrote:I believe you really missunderstood me.

Lets explain that:

I still have a Version (abandoned under construction) that Spawn any faction that is Friendly to the Player, including the Player him self (still no clue how to stop that).

That means, my old mod Spawns Teladi, Canterans, Ledda, Heart of Albion and other factions (including Ren Otani) on Player Stations.

All works fine, beside the confusing effect that all NPC relating the "Ren Otani" faction are shown under Station Management.
Must have been fixed later. The mod now spawns personnel belonging to faction: neutral. Probably why I never saw them in the station details screen.

@Sparks, yup, sorry. Was confused. I remembered you mentioning that the spawned engineers didn't appear in the sidebar hiring menu, but forgot that you said that the problem appears cosmetic.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 10:14

w.evans wrote: @Sparks, yup, sorry. Was confused. I remembered you mentioning that the spawned engineers didn't appear in the sidebar hiring menu, but forgot that you said that the problem appears cosmetic.
Ooops, so I did! I had forgotten about that and rather embarrassingly, I cannot remember the incident in my game. It is possible I wrote sidebar in error. I will try and work out what on earth I was thinking...

I had another look at your player station engineer example and it occurred to me that where I experience additional Engineers on the station detail page, it is in zones with NPC stations too (DHA and RB, Glaring Truth).

A second thought was that when I initially picked mods, Show Me Your Skills Please wasn't one of them as I was unsure if that functionality was provided by a separate mod. It wasn't so I added that extra mod. Anyhow, before I added that, BR's mod populated my stations with NPCs that would show skills (NPCs with that odd face faction logo). Then after, all NPCs would show skills as desired.

No idea if NPC stations and/or mod install order is relevant so I will test that this evening, building an NPC station in a station-free zone if needed.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 11:44

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:A second thought was that when I initially picked mods, Show Me Your Skills Please wasn't one of them as I was unsure if that functionality was provided by a separate mod. It wasn't so I added that extra mod. Anyhow, before I added that, BR's mod populated my stations with NPCs that would show skills (NPCs with that odd face faction logo). Then after, all NPCs would show skills as desired.

No idea if NPC stations and/or mod install order is relevant so I will test that this evening, building an NPC station in a station-free zone if needed.
I appreciate the clarification. Mod install order could affect things if they modify the same files. In this case, shouldn't matter since they use different methods to show skills. BR's mod spawns the NPCs with skills already known to the player. (Possibly they have to go through some checks to live in your stations in the first place?) StormMagi's mod makes their skills known when you ask them to show you their skills, please.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 23:34

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: Ooops, so I did! I had forgotten about that and rather embarrassingly, I cannot remember the incident in my game. It is possible I wrote sidebar in error. I will try and work out what on earth I was thinking...
Remembered what I meant. Although we can place Engineers on a station now, the sidebar list of crew for Stations lists Managers DOs but not Engineers. But they are still listed in the normal places so not a big deal.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 23:38

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Sparky Sparkycorp wrote: Ooops, so I did! I had forgotten about that and rather embarrassingly, I cannot remember the incident in my game. It is possible I wrote sidebar in error. I will try and work out what on earth I was thinking...
Remembered what I meant. Although we can place Engineers on a station now, the sidebar list of crew for Stations lists Managers DOs but not Engineers. But they are still listed in the normal places so not a big deal.
Yup. Was why I posted those screenshots showing engineers are showing for hire on my sidebar. Prolly something you got that I don't. At least I think that's the sidebar list that you meant.

Could be linked with presence of NPC stations, though. I'll check.

edit: no problems there. Just checked in Distant Fume where I have three stations, and there are two AES Cell Fab Matrices. Engineers showing on the sidebar hiring list as normal, and no extra engineers on my stations' details.
Last edited by w.evans on Mon, 17. Aug 15, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 23:42

Nar, it may still be a misunderstanding. I see Engineers for hire under the Skunk list (like in your screenshot) and for capitals, but not under the list for Stations.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 17. Aug 15, 23:44

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:Nar, it may still be a misunderstanding. I see Engineers for hire under the Skunk list (like in your screenshot) and for capitals, but not under the list for Stations.
Oooooh! That's what you meant! Yup. It's like that in vanilla though, isn't it? Can't remember. Anyway, not a big problem, as you said, since they're hireable via "Crew for Skunk" and "Crew for Capital Ship."

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 18. Aug 15, 00:07

Yeah, exactly, same as vanilla :)

Not a problem. Just letting you know (same with the vanilla Sucellus price in the Encyclopaedia) in case it was an easy tweaks but not consequential.

mihaib

Post by mihaib » Mon, 28. Sep 15, 10:56

Hi,

I'm working on a repack construction vessel mod and I'm thinking that it makes sense to be able to assign an engineer to the station so as not to rely on the architect for repairs.
For me it is absolutely necessary to have this capability in game, especially after detaching the CV from the station. To this end I modified the engineer and I used your mod as inspiration.
I wouldn't have been able to get the same results without extensive research or a lot of trial and error. Either way time is precious. :)

Would it be ok with you to include this modification in my mod in case I decide to pack these features together?

My mod will be on Steam and I'm thinking that some players might miss out on this one if I keep them separate, even if I add a recommendation to use them together.
Of course I will give you credit for it, and provide a link to your mod as reference.

Thanks for the idea and the mod. :D

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Mon, 28. Sep 15, 15:35

Hey mihaib,

sure, no problem. Please let me know what your mod is called when it's released so I can list it as incompatible.

mihaib

Post by mihaib » Mon, 28. Sep 15, 16:00

Thanks a lot.
I'll let you know what the name is as soon as I'm done testing and publish the mod.

(Most likely it will be "Repack Construction Vessel") :D

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Tue, 6. Oct 15, 00:08

Code: Select all

[=ERROR=] Cannot match path '//cue[@name='OnBoardComm']/actions/do_if[@value='@player.platform.container.isplayerowned and @player.platform.container.isclass.ship']/@value' in patch file 'extensions\w.e_StationEngineers\md\npc_engineer.xml'. Skipping node.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Tue, 6. Oct 15, 06:52

Hi alex,

are you sure you're using 0.05? Pretty sure I fixed that already.

edit: sorry, was thinking of engineer drone fix. However, just checked station engineers and that node should still correctly land, and I don't get that error message in the debug log. Do you have anything else installed that modifies \md\NPC_Engineer.xml?

alexalsp
x4

Post by alexalsp » Tue, 6. Oct 15, 11:56

Hello w.evans. Sorry. I disabled all mods, checked only this, no error.

I will look at other modes.

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Tue, 6. Oct 15, 13:07

Probably this Mod could interfere.

Of course i don't know who exactly uses my mods but this one definitely changes the NPC_Engineer.

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Tue, 6. Oct 15, 14:20

Hey eMYNOCK,

seeing as how some of the code in this is yours (or is it all the code? can't remember), I think it's only fair to add a note to the OP that everyone who wants to use one of your two mods should drop this one.

No problem, alex. Cheers!

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”