[PSA] Steps to make your mod work on Linux+Mac

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 8. Feb 16, 05:00

Orange Mouse Cursor (Steam Link) works if *.cur files are converted into *.png.

If you have ImageMagick installed, you can batch-convert them, execute this from terminal:

Code: Select all

cd <path_to_your_xrebirth_steam>/extensions/egosoft_orange_cursor

for f in *.cur; do fn=${f%.*}; convert -background none $f ${fn}.png; done
EDIT: tested on 4.0 Beta 7

jth
x3

Post by jth » Fri, 26. Feb 16, 14:20

Hi

I posted this on the general thread but have no takers so I thought that I might ask it again over here

VMware player for testing mods on Linux

Its obviously not going to be very quick but will it at least start up a copy of Linux and allow me to test my mods ? They are not graphics intensive.

I just don't have any spare hardware thats 64 bit. Done dual boot lots of times and dug myself into too many holes with various flavours of Linux, Windows 7 and XP to do this on my main machine

Otherwise booting from Flash, USB, external hard disk. Anything that doesn't involve boot loaders ?

Any thoughts

jth

EDIT 16:35 BST

Did read the X Rebirth on Linux requirements but thought that I may as well try it anyway

Whats 10Gb of downloads between friends :)

Tried it and got a GLXBadFBConfig message which is I suspect video driver issues. Probably vmware not having a new enough version of OpenGL

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.0.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 11.0.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

So I reckon that counts VMware player 12 out.

Did see Wubi which offers to install Ubuntu into a file rather than a partition which strictly fails my no bootloader requirement but I may be prepared to stretch the point as it attaches itself to the standard Windows bootloader rather than drops its own in.

If I put the file onto an SSD drive might get away with it

what do you think ?

jth

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Sat, 27. Feb 16, 09:46

Hi radcapricorn, that's immensely valuable information. I guess all modders should pack their .cur stuff in PNG :-)
I did notice many other mods with images already worked, such as the "desexualised clubs". Those were textures though, so they probably weren't in .cur format.

@jth:
VmWare is cool but virtualised 3D acceleration is HARD. It's available in some of the paid products, and possible in some of the free ones, I'm not too familiar with it.
The technical term you want to look for is "paravirtualised" GPU or passthrough graphics. This basically means you "steal" the GPU from the main system, and assign exclusively it to the VM.
There are also "guest mode" drivers, and I thought VmWare was working on something called "Virgil" (virtual gl) though that may be another vendor too.
Maybe also try VirtualBox, it tends to have more open source support.
Hope that helps, even if it's just a bunch of random pointers. It would be pretty cool if you could get it to work!

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 27. Feb 16, 09:55

jth wrote: OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.0.2
This means software OpenGL implementation. AFAIK, both VMware and VirtualBox have means to use your host GPU for hardware-accelerated OpenGL, look it up. However, it still might not work for the game, but at least worth a try.

@CulunTse: well, that was pretty easy to discover by running steam -console via terminal. With .cur files, the game simply crashed, and complained it couldn't load those files :)

jth
x3

Post by jth » Mon, 14. Mar 16, 18:54

CulunTse wrote:@jth:
VmWare is cool but virtualised 3D acceleration is HARD. It's available in some of the paid products, and possible in some of the free ones, I'm not too familiar with it.
The technical term you want to look for is "paravirtualised" GPU or passthrough graphics. This basically means you "steal" the GPU from the main system, and assign exclusively it to the VM.
There are also "guest mode" drivers, and I thought VmWare was working on something called "Virgil" (virtual gl) though that may be another vendor too.
Maybe also try VirtualBox, it tends to have more open source support.
Hope that helps, even if it's just a bunch of random pointers. It would be pretty cool if you could get it to work!
Spent some more time on the problem with VMware workstation player 12 and a brand new install of Ubuntu 15.04 and managed to apply

http://www.mesa3d.org/vmware-guest.html

and survive the experience this time :)

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.0-rc3 (git-9f21fdd)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0-rc3 (git-9f21fdd)
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0-rc3 (git-9f21fdd)
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

It was rather painful to get there :(

and surprisingly it actually works :) It looked like it had hung the first time but I think it was still building stuff.

Frame rate of 25fps is about half of what I get under Windows 7 with the graphics at medium (linux) and ultra (windows). I have a GTX 960 card.

Found the savegame location and copied my Windoze ones over and so far so good.

The joystick button mappings are out of this world though :( So I need to get them sorted out but it is seeing my Logitech Force 3D pro joystick. I can strafe fine but actually moving is a problem.

Managed to get into my Station Production Limiting mod Ok but its a bit early to say it works yet ... but its encouraging

If you would like to know where the elephant traps are please let me know

jth

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Tue, 15. Mar 16, 07:26

Congratulations on getting it to work jth!
Needing the "Guest additions" make sense, they're the 'drivers' for virtual hardware.
The slowdown in first run sounds like the compiling of the shader cache. That always happens on the very first run, regardless of OS. (It's probably been so long ago on Windows for you that you don't remember :-) )

I'm curious about the bear traps, but mostly for other people's sake, since I already run Linux on bare metal.
It could be very useful to other mod developers!

jth
x3

Post by jth » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 13:58

CulunTse wrote:Congratulations on getting it to work jth!
Needing the "Guest additions" make sense, they're the 'drivers' for virtual hardware.
The slowdown in first run sounds like the compiling of the shader cache. That always happens on the very first run, regardless of OS. (It's probably been so long ago on Windows for you that you don't remember :-) )

I'm curious about the bear traps, but mostly for other people's sake, since I already run Linux on bare metal.
It could be very useful to other mod developers!
I have posted the instructions in the orginal thread as I didn't think that you wanted several feet of instructions cluttering up this one

I have tried them on Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=386817

It took quite a while to find out what I did that made it work as following the original instructions to the letter gets you a busted Steam client (solid black splash screen with no writing in it). I think that it doesn't like OpenGL 11.3 but it could also be something to do with compile options for the mesa

jth

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Tue, 22. Mar 16, 17:32

Like I said in your topic: thanks for sharing!
Link included in my first post :-)

strude
x4

Post by strude » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 02:07

Both my mods

Rare Engines Scan Best Egosoft Link

Training Upkeep Missions Egosoft Link

Should be fine under Linux. Can't check myself, so have a gander, but I think I followed all the directions properly.

Code: Select all

Rare Engines Scan Best [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=382800]Egosoft Link[/url]
Training Upkeep Missions [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=388526]Egosoft Link[/url]
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Wed, 23. Mar 16, 07:05

Hi Strude,

Thanks for making the effort!
I like the ideas of your mods, and we'll definitely try then when I get some playtime again.
For now, I'm adding them to the list!

jth
x3

Post by jth » Fri, 1. Apr 16, 20:12

I have just done some testing of my mods on Linux under VMware and they all work fine. Some of them have probably been working for a while since I shifted to lower case folder names :)

I found a couple of minor new bugs while I was testing but they are in the Windows version too :(

So if you would like to add these to your list please
Regards

jth

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Fri, 1. Apr 16, 20:28

jth wrote:So if you would like to add these to your list please
Done!

Muchos Gracias for providing the preformatted links. I'm on train WiFi on a phone (traveling again this weekend).
Copy-pasting was LOADS faster than fiddly special characters in a phone keyboard :-)

Btw;
Your "format thousands" is a godsend! now I can finally see if my YAT's transferred millions or just thousands :-)
Same for the "additional surplus info", if only Vanilla had that info!
(Do you have any idea how many "AES energy cell fac I" there are! The vanilla trade logbook doesn't mention zones!)

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Mon, 1. May 17, 14:06

Minor update: added "Upgrade All Button" to the "almost working" list, it needs one file rename. Also notified the mod-author via a post in his topic.
Lets see if it soon gets a "fully compatible" upgrade :-)

teleportationwars

Re: [PSA] Steps to make your mod work on Linux+Mac

Post by teleportationwars » Fri, 16. Aug 19, 03:33

How is the performance on linux vs windows?

Svilenov
xr

Re: [PSA] Steps to make your mod work on Linux+Mac

Post by Svilenov » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 18:40

Some additional mods tested and working on Mac (therefore will work on Linux too :roll: ). The system they were tested is in the signature bellow, with game v. 4.30 and through Steam subscription: And these are mods whose creators claim have been tested on Linux / macOS however I didn't try them (don't need them or don't like the idea): Finally, these are the mods that require some 'tweaking' to work on macOS, mainly lower-casing file-names and folder-names within the mod:
  • Show skills (StormMagi) The Nexus Mod version is updated for v. 3.0 of the game. It requires to lower-case all the two filenames and one folder name to work on macOS
macOS Mojave, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”