Are the Mod Tools going to be available to people who didn't buy the game on Steam?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

SeanWH
x4

Are the Mod Tools going to be available to people who didn't buy the game on Steam?

Post by SeanWH » Sun, 19. Jun 16, 22:57

The topic really says it all but...

I bought the game on GOG. Steam will not allow me to download the modding tools for X:Rebirth because I don't own it there. They don't even show up in the appropriate place in the Steam Client.

I am not going to buy it again on Steam--that's just ridiculous to have to do for a supposedly free add-on. The modding tools for every other X game (which I own, by the way) have been available here on the EgoSoft web-site. Why not the Rebirth tools? :?

soladept
x4

Having problems modding the game because of GoG copy of game.

Post by soladept » Tue, 21. Jun 16, 05:28

I bought the game from GoG some days ago during the sale, and i was looking into modding the game.

My problem is that the majority of the mods i am interested in are exclusive to the Steam Workshop, which doesnt work with the GoG copy of the game, and the Modding Tools for the game, if i was ever inclined to try to make a mod, are exclusive to steam also.

So, im very stuck right now , and absolutly hating smalltalking for trade agents, among other peeves :(

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Tue, 21. Jun 16, 05:57

Try looking in the "Scripts and Modding" section. There are many mods available as a direct download, and many Steam mods also have a Nexus mod download. It would be foolish to assume "all" mods are "Steam workshop Only", as most of them aren't...
0101...0011...0011...0101...2!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 21. Jun 16, 10:24

**merged with existing topic with a similar question**

As Lander1979 mentioned not all mods are hosted in the Steam Workshop. Due to various reasons people have used other hosting sites such as nexusmods or dropbox instead. If the creator of a mod is still active, you can also ask them to upload the mods somewhere else with the hint to the problematic nature of downloading them for a GOG installation. If you cannot find any alternative download for a mod at all, then with the Steam Workshop downloader and Lit's XRWSunpack tool you can download and extract mods from the Workshop without having Steam.

As for the tools, I will ask, whether they can be made available outside of Steam.

Edit: It's definitely on the agenda to make the tools available somewhere else than Steam too. Unfortunately, I don't really have an estimated date for you when this will happen. But I'll keep you updated, once there are any news regarding this.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

soladept
x4

Post by soladept » Wed, 22. Jun 16, 02:07

thank you for your information, it helped me with my dillema

SeanWH
x4

Post by SeanWH » Wed, 22. Jun 16, 02:45

Yes, thank you. I'll be looking forward to when the tools are available for non-Steam players. :)

Ezarkal
x4

Re: Having problems modding the game because of GoG copy of game.

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 22. Jun 16, 22:01

soladept wrote:My problem is that the majority of the mods i am interested in are exclusive to the Steam Workshop, which doesnt work with the GoG copy of the game, and the Modding Tools for the game, if i was ever inclined to try to make a mod, are exclusive to steam also.
Many of the mod creators are active community members. Try to send them a PM, see if they can send you a dropbox link or something. You might be able to contact them on steam, too, even if you don't have an account.

Some of them are also on nexusmods: http://www.nexusmods.com/xrebirth/mods/searchresults/?

Worse case scenario, just pm a friend and ask him to download the mod for you and send you a dropbox link. From there, you just have to copy it in the game extension folder. Of course, there's the problem you won't get the mod's updates, but at least it's a start.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

SeanWH
x4

Post by SeanWH » Sun, 25. Sep 16, 21:00

So, it's been three months since I asked this question. Any movement on making the tools available outside of Steam?

<bump/>

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Mon, 26. Sep 16, 08:44

SeanWH wrote:So, it's been three months since I asked this question. Any movement on making the tools available outside of Steam?

<bump/>
Are the actual modding tools on steam? If so contact GoG and let them know you did no receive the full game. They might be able to contact Egosoft and get a better answer.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 1. Oct 16, 01:05

Have you tried the XRWSunpack tool? I don't know if that will work or not but it is worth a try.

If it doesn't work, please let us know.

SeanWH
x4

Post by SeanWH » Sat, 1. Oct 16, 05:22

I don't want somebody else's mods, I want to make my own.

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Sat, 1. Oct 16, 05:23

the mod tools are listed as software/tool not as mod and you can only install the tools when you have X rebirth on steam. even if you use the install link provided by egosoft it only directs you to the steam store front page.

the XRWSunpack tool only lets you unpack steam mods but noting else.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sat, 1. Oct 16, 10:13

ADMNtek wrote:the mod tools are listed as software/tool not as mod and you can only install the tools when you have X rebirth on steam. even if you use the install link provided by egosoft it only directs you to the steam store front page.

the XRWSunpack tool only lets you unpack steam mods but noting else.
It was a bit of a long shot. I had wondered if XRWSunpack would allow the downloading of the modding tools. Thanks for the info.

SeanWH
x4

Post by SeanWH » Mon, 21. Nov 16, 05:06

So, now that we've discussed a lot of semi-off-topic things--let's get back to the original question: are the official tools going to be made available to people who don't own the game on Steam?

Thanks.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 4. Jan 17, 11:57

It took a while, but the tools are finally available from the X Rebirth Bonus Material Download section on www.egosoft.com now.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”