Mod loading priority

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Seldataure
x4

Mod loading priority

Post by Seldataure » Wed, 20. Jun 18, 20:05

Hi.

I tried to find this info but can't find it anywhere.

How the mods are applied ? Alphabetical ? By date ?

I try to understand why my shipyard mod don't apply all his modifications (I can make small shipyard (S & M ships) but can't make the capital shipyard (L & XL ships)

I suspect another mod overwright some modifications from the shipyard mods i tried ("Player Shipyards v2.2" and "MynoCorp Basic Player Shipyards")

Thanks / Danke / Spasibo for any hint ;)

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 20. Jun 18, 20:42

i assume it is by name order (never got to test this though), but you can influence this by adding a line like
<dependency id="other_extension" optional="true"/>
to your content.xml - your mod will then load/be applied after all dependencies.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

w.evans
x4

Post by w.evans » Wed, 20. Jun 18, 23:49

isn't it as defined in content.xml in the Documents folder? plus mods with specified dependencies load after those dependencies, as UT said.

Seldataure
x4

Post by Seldataure » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 20:51

Thanks for the answer.

By checking content.xml in save folder, i saw not all mods are listed.

By checking content.xml from each mod, i saw most of them don't have ID or an ID that don't match the form "ws_123456789".

I suppose i'll have to edit each "content.xml" :p

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 21. Jun 18, 21:14

Seldataure wrote:I suppose i'll have to edit each "content.xml" :p
i strongly discourage editing other mod ids because you can potentially mess many things up, for example:
=> Savegame compatibility (required saves are reffered to with their id in the save)
=> Mod active/inactive settings
=> Mod interdependencies
=> Patches from mod authors
=> the Steam Workshop might revert your changes (and it usually doesnt notify you about this)
=> If your Mod depends on such a change this is also prohibitive for publication, because you cannot expect the average user to do the same changes to his files and then bugtrack what broke by this...

Also its difficult to remember what you changed where if you make many small changes in diffrent places on the raw files, so this comlicates bugfixing (especially because some might get reverted without notice)

regarding mod ids:
the ws_**** ids are for Workshop Mods. Manually installed ones may use this format too (if they are on the Workshop), but for these an (almost) arbitary String is sufficient. If no id is provided the Mod Folder Name is used as id instead (converted to lower case).
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Seldataure
x4

Post by Seldataure » Fri, 22. Jun 18, 18:42

Ok, that's mainly what i was trying to understand on IDs. :)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”